PDA

View Full Version : Dang mesquite thorns...

CosmicCowboy
06-22-2010, 04:33 PM
Yeah, I know they are bad. Been stuck a lot but it's been a few years. I forgot how nasty they could be.

I'm running a couple of eating steers (organic grass fed beef to you city boys) with my horses on a coastal field. Had my paint mare (good cow horse) get to messing around Sunday cutting one of the steers and ended up pushing it through a fence into a 5 acre trap full of mesquite, prickly pear, and waist high weeds. I don't have any water in the trap and needed to get him out. I didn't want to leave the gate open because I didn't want the other horses/steer getting in there. My saddle was back in town and so I decided to walk him out.

Anyway, I put on my snake chaps and pushed him out the gate (after a few circle backs and profanity laced tirades) and stuck myself good with a mesquite thorn in the forearm in the process.

I'm in the third day and still in that "achy joint" phase...elbow, wrist, fingers etc. hurt and the swelling is just starting to go down around the stick...amazing what one little thorn stick can do.

clambake
06-22-2010, 04:41 PM
are you sure you're not using thorn as a metaphor?

Sportcamper
06-22-2010, 05:02 PM
I can relate to this story…

One time my dog got out of the back yard & ran to my neighbor’s yard to play in their lawn sprinklers… (Typical Lab)…I called her but she would not come to me…Made me go in the sprinklers to get her…My clothes got all wet, my perfect hair messed up, new Nikes all soaked…I had to go change & re style my hair…It two days for my Nikes to fully dry…You play the cards that are dealt I guess…

Das Texan
06-22-2010, 05:13 PM
I stabbed myself in the hand with my yucca about 6 weeks ago.

The stab wound is just now starting to go away.

monosylab1k
06-22-2010, 05:25 PM
I can relate to this story…

One time my dog got out of the back yard & ran to my neighbor’s yard to play in their lawn sprinklers… (Typical Lab)…I called her but she would not come to me…Made me go in the sprinklers to get her…My clothes got all wet, my perfect hair messed up, new Nikes all soaked…I had to go change & re style my hair…It two days for my Nikes to fully dry…You play the cards that are dealt I guess…

:lmao

4>0rings
06-22-2010, 07:18 PM
You remind me of the couple on Tremors 1 where they had all the guns and the guy kills one with an elephant gun. :lmao

SpursNextRomanEmpire
06-22-2010, 07:43 PM
You remind me of the couple on Tremors 1 where they had all the guns and the guy kills one with an elephant gun. :lmao

lol tremors! I remember when Kevin Bacon dodged that one worm and it went flying off a cliff... haha what a bad ass kb is

BlackSwordsMan
06-22-2010, 07:58 PM
or that scene when burt reynolds slaps the worm in mid-air

The Reckoning
06-22-2010, 09:24 PM
ive had a few steers drag me through bull nettle. it sucks. makes a cow trough feel like a spa though.

SpursNextRomanEmpire
06-22-2010, 10:25 PM
or that scene when burt reynolds slaps the worm in mid-air

:lol haha yeah that as well

Bender
06-23-2010, 11:08 AM
I'm running a couple of eating steers (organic grass fed beef to you city boys) with my horses on a coastal field. Had my paint mare (good cow horse) get to messing around Sunday cutting one of the steers and ended up pushing it through a fence into a 5 acre trap full of mesquite, prickly pear, and waist high weeds. I don't have any water in the trap and needed to get him out. I didn't want to leave the gate open because I didn't want the other horses/steer getting in there. My saddle was back in town and so I decided to walk him out.
It's like I'm reading a Louis L'amour western...

manufan10
06-23-2010, 11:25 AM
Yeah, I know they are bad. Been stuck a lot but it's been a few years. I forgot how nasty they could be.

I'm running a couple of eating steers (organic grass fed beef to you city boys) with my horses on a coastal field. Had my paint mare (good cow horse) get to messing around Sunday cutting one of the steers and ended up pushing it through a fence into a 5 acre trap full of mesquite, prickly pear, and waist high weeds. .

Hey, I did the same thing... on Red Dead Redemption.