PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Spurs aim for sounds of silence

Kori Ellis
05-14-2005, 12:07 AM
Spurs aim for sounds of silence
Web Posted: 05/14/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

SEATTLE — Jerome James took one look at the crowd of TV cameras and microphones circling him Friday afternoon and sighed.

"Lord," James said, looking upward, "please work my mouth today."

After the way his lips moved Thursday night, James needed to make peace with more than one higher power, including his coach. Seattle's verbose center both prefaced and punctuated the SuperSonics' 92-91 victory in Game 3 with a string of colorful quotes disparaging the Spurs.

James began the evening with a "(Bleep) them dudes" pre-game rant. He capped it by telling an ESPN reporter, "I don't give them no respect. None."

In between, James scored 15 points to help Seattle reduce the Spurs' lead in the NBA Western Conference semifinals to 2-1. But as has been the case for much of James' five-year career, his words might have reverberated louder than any of the six dunks he threw down Thursday.

"It's amusing to me," Spurs forward Bruce Bowen said. "I mean sometimes you get caught up in the whole atmosphere of the playoffs and start mouthing off at certain times. It wasn't like that during the games we won. We didn't hear anything like that.

"... It shows they're satisfied with a temporary victory now, and not what's been going on all series."

Temporary or not, the Sonics now have a chance to even the best-of-seven series on Sunday, particularly if they play like they did in Game 3.

Seattle exploited the Spurs' pick-and-roll defense, in addition to out-rebounding them 48-37. The Spurs also missed 15 of 34 free throws then watched disappointingly as Tim Duncan's jump hook in the lane banged off the rim at the final buzzer.

The Sonics celebrated at mid-court then headed to the locker room as James stopped to do his interview with ESPN. Some of the Spurs heard about James' comments before they even left KeyArena.

"Who didn't hear about it?" Bowen said. "He's entitled to his own opinion."

The Sonics would have preferred James not share his beliefs with the rest of the world. Coach Nate McMillan and guard Ray Allen spoke with the center at Friday's practice about choosing his words more carefully.

While James didn't take back what he said, he called his remarks a "statement of passion."

"What I meant was they are a great team, no doubt," James said. "They've won two championships. They have the best fundamentally sound post player in the world on their team, and he's taken them to great places I can only imagine taking this team to.

"But we have to play with an attitude that's disrespectful. They've earned that respect. Not only from us, but every team in the league, from the officials and the fans. But to give them that respect at this time of the season is sudden death to us. We would surely die."

The increase in James' bravado has coincided with a rise in his production. He averaged 17.2 points and 9.4 rebounds in five games against Sacramento in the first round — well above his regular-season average of 4.9 points and 3.0 rebounds — while verbally sparring with Kings guards Mike Bibby and Cuttino Mobley. Seattle's media-relations staff immediately dubbed him Jerome "Playoff" James in their press material.

"Playoff" James totaled 12 points and nine rebounds in the first two games against the Spurs. On Thursday, he repeatedly sprung loose off pick-and-rolls. At least two of his dunks were over Duncan.

"It's attack, attack, attack," James said. "It's like a trained pit bull: You blow that whistle and he's ready to go."

More often than not, however, James' bark has been worse than his bite. In Seattle's Dec. 8 victory over the Spurs, he cursed at Duncan until the officials gave him a technical. Prior to this series, he said Duncan cries for calls.

"He's said things to me, I've said things to him. It's all in good sportsmanship. It's nothing dirty," said James, apparently overlooking the steady stream of profanity he directed at Duncan five months ago.

Allen, a longtime member of the NBA's All-Interview team, still felt the need to give James a quick public-relations lesson Friday. His message: "We win games humbly."

"We've watched (the Spurs) play basketball while we've been on vacation, lying on somebody's beach or by somebody's pool with a TV," Allen said. "We've watched them win a championship. So we respect them because they've done a lot to be respected, and he knows that."

Sonics guard Antonio Daniels also knows what happened the last time the teams met in the playoffs. Though Seattle was already assured of victory in Game 2 of the 2002 first-round series, Desmond Mason took the opportunity to throw down an exuberant 360-degree dunk in the closing seconds.

The Spurs took notice. They won Game 3 102-75.

"The response of our team and also (coach Gregg Popovich) had nothing to do with the way the game went," said Daniels, who was on the Spurs at the time. "Everything was about what happened in that last 10 seconds of the game. Guys were really pumped up to be out there that next game sort of as payback."

The Spurs also remember what happened last season when DeShawn Stevenson, then with Utah, called Duncan a whiner. Two nights later, Duncan totaled 31 points, 11 rebounds and five blocks to beat the Jazz 83-65.

"Timmy's going to come out to work, regardless," Daniels said. "But we definitely don't need to light a fire under anybody."

LakerGod
05-14-2005, 12:42 AM
Not to take anything away from Tim Duncan, but he really is a WHINER! I've seen him complaining for every single call that goes against him.

dcole50
05-14-2005, 12:50 AM
james' post games comments have me even more confident about a win on sunday. especially after hearing bruce's comments in response.

james won't get those wide open dunks anymore.

milkyway21
05-14-2005, 12:50 AM
James began the evening with a "(Bleep) them dudes" pre-game rant. He capped it by telling an ESPN reporter, "I don't give them no respect. None."

first, Duncan is a WIMP.
then, this one....

:wtf Jerome? :blah :blah :blah

you talk garbage.

johnny00
05-14-2005, 02:13 AM
"What I meant was they are a great team, no doubt," James said. "They've won two championships. They have the best fundamentally sound post player in the world on their team, and he's taken them to great places I can only imagine taking this team to.

"But we have to play with an attitude that's disrespectful. They've earned that respect. Not only from us, but every team in the league, from the officials and the fans. But to give them that respect at this time of the season is sudden death to us. We would surely die."

Fuck You Jerome Don't backpeddle now bitch.

Sunday night your ass belongs to Timmy!!!!!

gospursgojas
05-14-2005, 03:47 AM
Spurs aim for sounds of silence
Web Posted: 05/14/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

"Timmy's going to come out to work, regardless," Daniels said. "But we definitely don't need to light a fire under anybody."

Antonio knows his friend and he knows that what James did is only going to hurt the Sonics, not help them.

gospursgojas
05-14-2005, 03:51 AM
By friend I mean Timmy

rwb
05-14-2005, 07:22 AM
I'm not surprised that James has knowledge of how to fight pit bulls. He'd be the kind of punk who'd be involved with something like that. I'd like to see our Big Dog go after him.

smackdaddy11
05-14-2005, 08:47 AM
Not to take anything away from Tim Duncan, but he really is a WHINER! I've seen him complaining for every single call that goes against him.

You ever watch Kareem Abdul Jabbar play or are you too young? He never committed a foul his entire career accoriding to his tirades. :rolleyes

bonesinaz
05-14-2005, 10:23 AM
Time for the Spurs to take out the trash Sunday.

exstatic
05-14-2005, 10:28 AM
Time for the Spurs to take out the trash Sunday.
http://www.therangerdigest.com/Tips___Tricks/Trash_Bag_Shelter/17.jpg

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-14-2005, 12:39 PM

He's got a long way to go to catch up to your boy Kobe, or even for that matter super scrub Devean George.

boutons
05-14-2005, 12:56 PM
"he does Not complain when he thinks a fould Should have been called against his defender"

huh? When Tim scores, or misses, he's often running down the floor whining to the refs about no calls, sometimes pissed off. That's normal. It's the whiny NBA, every call stinks, no player ever fouls.

mcshine
05-14-2005, 01:02 PM
Jerome James is a BAFOON! Damn annoying if you ask me. He got all his points on dunks where the spurs blew their defensive assignments. What's more is the media(especially in Seattle) is pimpin him for assinine quotes and riding him like pony at the county fair.

LilMissSPURfect
05-14-2005, 03:07 PM

sorry to bring u up to date...everyone not getting a call in the NBA whines about not getting a call!

i've come to expect it from everyone. it dosent even make sense bringing it up anymore...

if ya take the whining out of the NBA u'd only have BALLA's and no DRAMA!