PDA

View Full Version : Is Jackson done?

Spursfan092120
06-22-2010, 08:59 PM
Report: Opinions on Jackson flying

Player after player says that they want Phil Jackson back for another season, but family tells a different story.

"I think this is it. I think he's done now," Chelsea Jackson, the coach's daughter, told Sports Illustrated.
Jackson's contract expires this offseason, and he's weighing whether to return to try to lead the Los Angeles Lakers (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=lal) to a third straight title. He has said that he should have a decision by June 27, with the biggest factor being his health. He has a problem with his knee, among other ailments, that he is getting checked out.
"Obviously his main issue is his health," Lakers center Pau Gasol (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=996) said. "I think he's concerned about that. He loves the game of basketball as much as anybody and I think he wants to continue to be a part of what we're doing here, but health is the first thing for everybody. If we don't have health, we can't function and the NBA schedule is very, very demanding, and going through three years the way things have gone -- which luckily have been really good -- it's wearing and it's draining.
"So, he's got to take care of his health first and hopefully he'll come back, because obviously he's a big part of our success."
Jackson has spoken to some of his players about the future, the Orange County Register reported, and reserve Luke Walton (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=2027) thinks he has an idea of his plans.
"[General manager] Mitch [Kupchak] is going to have a real busy summer because there are a lot of free agents, including the head coach ... a little bit [of an inclination of where he's leaning], but I'm going to leave that between Phil and you guys or Phil and Mitch," Walton said. "But I told him as I was leaving that I hope that he's back next year because I love playing for Phil."
Sasha Vujacic (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=2421) has had an up-and-down relationship with Jackson, getting meaningful minutes and then riding the pine this season. But he was in Game 7 in crunch time and hit two title-clinching free throws.
"Coach was making me better throughout the year," Vujacic said. "Sometimes when you don't play, when you get pulled out or whatever happens, it's that mental training that PJ does with all the players and I'm glad that I kind of passed the test and he gave me that confidence in the most crucial game when not only the game was on the line, but the entire series, the season. He showed me confidence when he puts me in the game like that. That shows a lot."
Ron Artest (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=25) has had a rocky ride with every team he's played for, but he accepted a lesser role on the Lakers and it paid off with a championship, in which he saved his best for the decisive game.
"With coach, I know it depends on his health if he's able to move forward," Artest said. "He's been coaching a long time, but I hope he comes back because his whole philosophy is team. I know I can strive under a coach whose philosophy is team and structure and the system."
Some players are taking a proactive approach to Jackson's decision.
"I'm going to put the pressure on him," said Andrew Bynum (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=2748), who has his own health challenge in impending knee surgery. "We all want PJ to come back, every last one of us, so hopefully he makes the right decision and decides to get another ring."
[I]ESPNLosAngeles.com Lakers writer Dave McMenamin contributed to this report.

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=5316981

djohn2oo8
06-22-2010, 09:02 PM
naw, one more season left in him

Giuseppe
06-22-2010, 09:06 PM
"Coach was making me better throughout the year," Vujacic said. "Sometimes when you don't play, when you get pulled out or whatever happens, it's that mental training that PJ does with all the players and I'm glad that I kind of passed the test and he gave me that confidence in the most crucial game when not only the game was on the line, but the entire series, the season. He showed me confidence when he puts me in the game like that. That shows a lot."

The rehabilitation of Sasha Vujacic.

Gangbusters, I said gangbusters '11 for Vuj. Or, I'm a monkey's ass.

easy7
06-22-2010, 09:30 PM
No "This is it" tour? WTF....

j.dizzle
06-22-2010, 09:37 PM
I would be surprised if he didnt go for his 4th three peat..FOUR of em, that would be ridiculous. The NBA doesnt seem like it'll be as strong next season too so I dont know why he wouldnt go for one more year. Unless his health is really holding him back.

Giuseppe
06-22-2010, 09:39 PM
If he lost 50lbs he'd feel much better. Those $3,000 suits hide a lot.

There is that video of him crossing the tarmac at an airport with no suit on. My God, he's humonguous.

Spursfan092120
06-22-2010, 09:43 PM
The NBA doesnt seem like it'll be as strong next season
http://www.orlandoweekly.com/blog/images/huh.jpg

Giuseppe
06-22-2010, 09:45 PM
:lmao

j.dizzle
06-22-2010, 09:51 PM
http://www.orlandoweekly.com/blog/images/huh.jpg
:lol Meaning the West aint getting any better & the East is pretty much a toss up at this point depending where Lebron goes. Boston wont be as good & Orl is too mentally weak to win in the finals. I dont think any team is winning 60+ games next season

Spursfan092120
06-22-2010, 10:02 PM
:lol Meaning the West aint getting any better & the East is pretty much a toss up at this point depending where Lebron goes. Boston wont be as good & Orl is too mentally weak to win in the finals. I dont think any team is winning 60+ games next season
Dude..the NBA gets stronger every year. There's some good players coming into the draft this year, and teams (ie OKC) are going to be better. The Spurs, I believe, will also be better. Jefferson can't do any worse, and we will have a young, strong big man, whether we pick him up in the draft, a trade, or bring up Splitter.

Giuseppe
06-22-2010, 10:15 PM
^Sure, honeybun, you keep tellin' yerself that.

Pssst, hey everybody:::we're goin' Sizzler, we're goin' Sizzler.

MavDynasty
06-22-2010, 10:19 PM
Who replaces Phil if he leaves?

Giuseppe
06-22-2010, 10:27 PM
I think they've given Scott some verbal encouragement, perhaps a first refusal if Jackson were to retire.

Smooth Criminal
06-22-2010, 10:34 PM
Who replaces Phil if he leaves?
Hopefully Brian Shaw, NOT Byron Scott.

Shaw would run the Triangle, and Phil has pushed for him as his successor. Plus the players trust him, and I read an article somewhere about it but can't find it.

Anyway I hope it's Shaw

cobbler
06-22-2010, 10:36 PM
Jackson has been pimping for Shaw to take over... I believe the FO is leaning towards Scott.

Spursfan092120
06-22-2010, 10:43 PM
Hopefully Brian Shaw, NOT Byron Scott.

Shaw would run the Triangle, and Phil has pushed for him as his successor. Plus the players trust him, and I read an article somewhere about it but can't find it.

Anyway I hope it's Shaw
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/11/sports/basketball/11lakers.html?src=tptw

Read it too...always liked Brian Shaw...very respectable.

Spursfan092120
06-22-2010, 10:46 PM
I'd prefer Coop.
Nah..you won't get better than Shaw..dude knows the system, knows the players, and just has the mind for the job.

cobbler
06-22-2010, 10:46 PM
I'd rather have Rambis back. He will kick himself in the ass for not waiting the year if PJ does retire.

I think PJ should stick it out for the first 4peat since the 60's!

Amaso
06-22-2010, 10:49 PM
I'd love JVG as the coach.

Giuseppe
06-22-2010, 10:55 PM
The only thing I remember from Rambis coaching is Jack screaming at his ass to call a timeout. Then PJ comes in and never calls timeout, and everyone praises him for it.

Rodman told Rambis to call a timeout too, and Kurt listened.:rolleyes

Giuseppe
06-22-2010, 10:55 PM
I'd love JVG as the coach.

Amaso just broke his stupid cherry.

:lol

bostonguy
06-22-2010, 11:05 PM
If Phil retires, I bet Kobe pushes for Shaw. He likes and respects him. IMO Shaw would be the perfect replacement.

That being said, I can't see Phil walking away at the end of the day. Unless Buss really low balls him with money or his health is just that bad, Phil is coming back. Jeanie Buss will play a vital role in this storyline.

Giuseppe
06-22-2010, 11:07 PM
Guy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sweetheart!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That >suicide hotline< obviously worked I see.

Andrew Bynum
06-22-2010, 11:09 PM
:lol Spurfan 90293

bostonguy
06-22-2010, 11:09 PM
Guy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sweetheart!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That >suicide hotline< obviously worked I see.

Ummmm cully I was never on suicide watch. There you go starting trends again. :lol

cobbler
06-22-2010, 11:10 PM
If Phil retires, I bet Kobe pushes for Shaw. He likes and respects him. IMO Shaw would be the perfect replacement.

That being said, I can't see Phil walking away at the end of the day. Unless Buss really low balls him with money or his health is just that bad, Phil is coming back. Jeanie Buss will play a vital role in this storyline.

I think it would be a toss up between Shaw and Scott for Kobe. The FO favors Scott due to head coaching experience and they have made no secrets that they want a more up tempo showtime type game.

Scott was the Laker that took Kobe under his wing when he was a rookie He also has long standing ties with Shaw back to his childhood in Italy.

Toss the coin!!!

Giuseppe
06-22-2010, 11:11 PM
Ummmm cully I was never on suicide watch. There you go starting trends again. :lol

Just givin' ya a little red ass.:toast

Venti Quattro
06-23-2010, 12:06 AM
Shaw vs Scott settled on a one on one game up to 21.

Fair enough.

Trainwreck2100
06-23-2010, 12:11 AM
He came very close to losing his 47-0 playoff streak

Smooth Criminal
06-23-2010, 12:24 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/11/sports/basketball/11lakers.html?src=tptw

Read it too...always liked Brian Shaw...very respectable.
:toastThanks for finding that

Smooth Criminal
06-23-2010, 12:25 AM
Nah..you won't get better than Shaw..dude knows the system, knows the players, and just has the mind for the job.
This

Smooth Criminal
06-23-2010, 12:27 AM
I think it would be a toss up between Shaw and Scott for Kobe. The FO favors Scott due to head coaching experience and they have made no secrets that they want a more up tempo showtime type game.

Scott was the Laker that took Kobe under his wing when he was a rookie He also has long standing ties with Shaw back to his childhood in Italy.

Toss the coin!!!
Up-Tempo would be great if we had the personnel...however the FO can't be too stupid to realize our offense got us Back-To-Back titles and is fun to watch (The passing from our bigs is especially fun to watch).

Giuseppe
06-23-2010, 03:38 AM
He came very close to losing his 47-0 playoff streak

:rolleyes

TheManFromAcme
06-23-2010, 06:05 AM
Phil's going nowhere.
This is all part of the "please beg for me" sweepstakes with Dr. Buss.

No way Phil walks away from another 3-peat. The Lakers chances of 3-peating are greater than any other teams chance of just winning it.

He's coming back.

Spursfan092120
06-23-2010, 05:08 PM
:toastThanks for finding that
No problem

This
Yeah..Shaw is a great basketball mind, and Phil has been grooming him for a while. And obviously the team supports him. If Kobe believes in him, everyone else will as well.

tlongII
06-23-2010, 06:11 PM
Phil's done. He knows he can't win another LOB with the Blazers on the rise.

Koolaid_Man
06-23-2010, 06:22 PM
Phil will be back...if not B Shaw will do just fine....or dare I say this....Mike Dantoni...He might be the only coach that Kobe admires...after all Kobe did wear # 8 in honor of Dantoni for many years...Gasol would listen to him because he's a Euro so it could work...

Giuseppe
06-23-2010, 07:21 PM
Phil will be back...if not B Shaw will do just fine....or dare I say this....Mike Dantoni...He might be the only coach that Kobe admires...after all Kobe did wear # 8 in honor of Dantoni for many years...Gasol would listen to him because he's a Euro so it could work...

Food for thought, Kool.

Spursfan092120
06-23-2010, 07:29 PM
Won't happen...Lakers actually want to play defense.

TheMACHINE
06-23-2010, 07:34 PM
poor rambis..shoulda stuck around 1 more year.

Giuseppe
06-23-2010, 07:45 PM
Oh, my God, the [one more year] club:

*Maravich in Boston
Mihm in Los Angeles
Dantley in Detroit
Rider in Los Angeles (the other way, tee, hee)
Len Bias (tee, hee, beezer)

* Maravich said he was near suicide over that mistake. And Bird had literally begged him.

Kamala
06-23-2010, 11:06 PM
Windows only stay open for so long. Spurs had a nice window but it inevitably closes.

For the Lakers the titles end the second he retires. No one else can manage that talent and those egoes like Phil Jackson. After that they become the 90s Trail Blazers. In the meantime a 3 peat looks pretty good.

Venti Quattro
06-23-2010, 11:19 PM
LOL son you will not even beat the Thunder. Mark my words you fucking bitch.

Edward
06-23-2010, 11:21 PM
Shouldn't you change your title to 16 going on 17?

Venti Quattro
06-23-2010, 11:28 PM
Shouldn't you change your title to 16 going on 17?
changed, thanks

SomeCallMeTim
06-23-2010, 11:58 PM
Oh, my God, the [one more year] club:

*Maravich in Boston
Mihm in Los Angeles
Dantley in Detroit
Rider in Los Angeles (the other way, tee, hee)
Len Bias (tee, hee, beezer)

* Maravich said he was near suicide over that mistake. And Bird had literally begged him.

Wow. Never realized he was on that Boston team one year before they won it all. That would be tough.

Almost as tough as the way Elgin Baylor missed out. Now that would be heartbreaking.

Giuseppe
06-24-2010, 12:41 AM
Wow. Never realized he was on that Boston team one year before they won it all. That would be tough.

Bird also talked to Ernie DiGregorio before that '81 Championship Season commenced. He was an Eastern seaboard legend. Wouldn't do it. Didn't want to commit to the training regimen.

Ugh.

Darrin
06-24-2010, 01:01 AM
They brought up the fact that LA is trying to cut his salary in half on that Draft Special. I think Jackson, after 19 years and 11 NBA Championships, has very little left to prove as a Head Coach. If his health is not up to par, or if he simply wants to walk away and spend time doing something else with his life, he may retire. He's got nothing left to go for. He's already repeated. He's already matched Red. He's already the winningest playoff coach for the Bulls and the storied Lakers. What else is there? The coaching-wins record? Another NBA title? There's nothing left for him to prove. He's already gotten to Ron Artest and Dennis Rodman to the tune of NBA Championships. He's coached Kobe in the prime of his career, and Michael Jordan and Shaquille O'Neal to the same. He'd have to want to come back. Call it a career while times are still good. I think Kobe is about to look pedestrian, and he may feel the same way. What is he sticking around for?

Smooth Criminal
06-24-2010, 01:27 AM
:lmaoFrail Blazers