PDA

View Full Version : If Tiago was draftable?

lotr1trekkie
06-22-2010, 09:18 PM
Simple question. Where would he go this draft?

Spursfan092120
06-22-2010, 09:20 PM
Lottery pick, in my opinion..probably top 15

LongtimeSpursFan
06-22-2010, 09:20 PM
Definitely top 5 pick. Probably even in the top 3. That is why I dont understand some folks that think adding Splitter next year wont be enough to put us over the top.

TDMVPDPOY
06-22-2010, 09:39 PM
depends on his euro team obligations

Chieflion
06-22-2010, 09:39 PM
Late lottery pick. This guy is 25 years old, for goodness sake.

pad300
06-22-2010, 09:48 PM
Late lottery pick. This guy is 25 years old, for goodness sake.

He's distinctly more NBA ready than any other big in the draft, and he's much closer to fulfilling his potential - and there are maybe 3 big men in the draft who have better potential than him (Whiteside, who's 5 years away, minimum, Cousins, who is 3 years away and has character issues, and finally, Favors, who's also 3 years away from panning out). If he was in this draft, he'd be the best big man available...

Chieflion
06-22-2010, 09:53 PM
He's distinctly more NBA ready than any other big in the draft, and he's much closer to fulfilling his potential - and there are maybe 3 big men in the draft who have better potential than him (Whiteside, who's 5 years away, minimum, Cousins, who is 3 years away and has character issues, and finally, Favors, who's also 3 years away from panning out). If he was in this draft, he'd be the best big man available...

If I had a shitty team, I would wait for either of those 3 to pan out, than Tiago Splitter, who has lesser potential than all 3, because the shitty team needs a dominant big man, and not a 2nd big in the rotation. And Tiago is 5 years older than Whiteside, 6 years older than both Cousins and Favors. It is really a no brainer to pick Whiteside, Cousins and Favors over Tiago Splitter, at age 25, we know that is all he possibly can give.

lrrr
06-22-2010, 10:08 PM
If I had a shitty team, I would wait for either of those 3 to pan out, than Tiago Splitter, who has lesser potential than all 3, because the shitty team needs a dominant big man, and not a 2nd big in the rotation. And Tiago is 5 years older than Whiteside, 6 years older than both Cousins and Favors. It is really a no brainer to pick Whiteside, Cousins and Favors over Tiago Splitter, at age 25, we know that is all he possibly can give.

True, but the other side of the coin is to consider how many picks with "potential" have actually lived up to that potential.

Chieflion
06-22-2010, 10:10 PM
True, but the other side of the coin is to consider how many picks with "potential" have actually lived up to that potential.

Assuming that the team would be shitty, with or without Tiago Splitter, I take the higher upside guy any day of the week.

Cane
06-22-2010, 10:18 PM
He could very well be the best big available so I'd say he'd be a top 5 candidate. He's skilled, has professional experience, plays the rare big man position, seems to have a good mentality, and he's just coming off winning a championship and MVP so his stock is pretty high.

franceout
06-22-2010, 10:30 PM
R u willing to trade tiago for favors or wesley johnson? Sure.
Will u do it for cousins or Monroe? I will do it in a heartbeat.
How about Ed Davis? Probably not.
So he is around 7-10.

DrSteffo
06-23-2010, 03:38 AM
So he is around 7-10.

This. I guess the most similar player in the draft is Aldrich, true C with solid skills and good work ethic but "limited upside". I like Aldrich and think he is a bit underrated in mock drafts at 13-14 but would take Splitter over him.

G-Dawgg
06-23-2010, 03:40 AM
So he is around 7-10.

I concur.

mudyez
06-23-2010, 03:55 AM
This. I guess the most similar player in the draft is Aldrich, true C with solid skills and good work ethic but "limited upside". I like Aldrich and think he is a bit underrated in mock drafts at 13-14 but would take Splitter over him.

Aldrich has "BUST" written all over him!
Not saying, I wouldnt draft him with a top15pick, but Splitter is kind of a sure thing IMO.

As a player alone Splitter would be a top 5...Wall, Turner and Favours are above him...Wesley Johnson depending on the need. Cousins wouldnt go above him, as Splitter is about as good, without the charakter issues.

If you figure in age(bad) and readyness(great), he would drop a bit, depending on the teams that draft. The nature of the draft is, that rebuilding teams are drafting high and that said, age might scare them away a bit...Teams, that want to compete NOW, wouldnt think twice and take him, but that starts with the Jazz at 9.

Finaly: I'm absolutely sure, he would go between 4 and 9 in this draft and if I had to put him in a mock draft, I'd have the Pistons taking him at #7, but wouldnt be surprised if he went to Sacramento at #5 (Minnesota at #4 would only do it, if they do a trade to sent Jefferson away for a muc needed wing).

mudyez
06-23-2010, 03:58 AM
btw.: would it shock anyone, if Splitte owns a ROY-trophy 300 days from now? Wall is the clear cut fav, but just in terms of readyness, Splitter should be second!

Chieflion
06-23-2010, 03:59 AM
btw.: would it shock anyone, if Splitte owns a ROY-trophy 300 days from now? Wall is the clear cut fav, but just in terms of readyness, Splitter should be second!

Blake Griffin is also in the hunt for ROY. He is clearly the pick here. Not John Wall.

rjv
06-23-2010, 09:50 AM
So he is around 7-10.

i agree as well that is about the best evaluation.

OrEmuN
06-23-2010, 11:10 AM
Late 1st round, early 2nd round. The contract issues may be too much of a risk for drafting teams since if he is drafted this year, he will be confined to rookie scale and thus will be difficult to bring over if he is not drafted within top few picks

I don't think Wall, Turner and Favors will be drafted after Tiago. For that matter, Cousins is probably going 4th. At 5th pick onwards, i reckon that Tiago will much rather stay in Europe, much like Rubio

Seventyniner
06-23-2010, 12:15 PM
If we're assuming that the team who takes him would be guaranteed to get him at the rookie scale for that slot, top 5 easy. If buyouts were a concern, he'd probably go #31. It also depends on who drafts him; he's a great player for a team who needs to win now.

lotr1trekkie
06-23-2010, 12:28 PM
Manu came to the Spurs at age 25. Similar pro history to Splitter. I imagine the top 6 teams will draft potential first. Despite the hype, neither Rose, Durant or Beasley has turned their teams into contenders. Players like Bird, Johnson, David and Timmy are once in a lifetime picks. Glad Tiaggo will be coming. I expect him to be a super version of Fab, smart ,team oriented and hard working.

Solid D
06-23-2010, 01:24 PM
Since this is all hypothetical...any team that would be able to get an ACB and Euroleague star Big at 25 years of age, like Tiago Splitter, in the 6th-10th slot locked-in multi-year at Rookie scale $2.5M/year or less would be stealing this player. I have not been a big Splitter supporter over the years, because of his need to step up to meet his "potential" as a player. However, after seeing him play this season...this guy has learned the nuances of the game and he can play. He's got faults and some physical limitations, but he's still a top 5 pick.

Solid D
06-23-2010, 01:33 PM
I'll pose these two questions to the group. Wesley Johnson or Tiago Splitter? How about DeMarcus Cousins or Tiago Splitter?

DesignatedT
06-23-2010, 01:34 PM
10 overall to indiana.

Mel_13
06-23-2010, 01:35 PM
10 overall to indiana.

I see where you're going, but he'd never get past Utah at 9.

DesignatedT
06-23-2010, 01:37 PM
I see where you're going, but he'd never get past Utah at 9.

:lol touche

DesignatedT
06-23-2010, 01:38 PM
How the hell did Utah end up with the 9th anyway? What trade was that?

Agloco
06-23-2010, 01:40 PM
Definitely top 5 pick. Probably even in the top 3. That is why I dont understand some folks that think adding Splitter next year wont be enough to put us over the top.

Because adding a rookie is never a sure thing. Adding a top five pick never guarantees anything.

Agloco
06-23-2010, 01:41 PM

Edit: From the Suns.

Solid D
06-23-2010, 01:42 PM

It was a deferred, protected pick from a trade in 2004. It was originally owned by the New York Knicks and acquired in a February 2004 trade with Phoenix. It cost Utah only little-used Ben Handlogten and Keon Clark.

DesignatedT
06-23-2010, 01:42 PM
It was a deferred, protected pick from a trade in 2004. It was originally owned by the New York Knicks and acquired in a February 2004 trade with Phoenix. It cost Utah only little-used Ben Handlogten and Keon Clark.

thanks.

Spursfan 87
06-23-2010, 01:43 PM
top 3

Mel_13
06-23-2010, 01:46 PM

Edit: From the Suns.

Isaih Thomas.

In 2004 the Suns traded Marbury to the Knicks, part of the package was a highly protected 1st round pick. The protections ended this year. Phoenix traded the pick one month later to Utah in a trade that provided Phoenix with salary relief (sound familiar?). Utah has held onto the pick for over six years and will cash in tomorrow night.

Edit: too slow, again.

wildbill2u
06-23-2010, 01:47 PM
It's really neat that we already own the rights to a probable lottery pick that we picked up a couple of years ago for a 27th pick--and can use our 20the pick for another player--assuming he comes over to the NBA.

Agloco
06-23-2010, 01:59 PM
Isaih Thomas.

In 2004 the Suns traded Marbury to the Knicks, part of the package was a highly protected 1st round pick. The protections ended this year. Phoenix traded the pick one month later to Utah in a trade that provided Phoenix with salary relief (sound familiar?). Utah has held onto the pick for over six years and will cash in tomorrow night.

Edit: too slow, again.

:lol

Same.......it was an evolving piece of knowledge on my end. Never quite got there. Thanks for the correction as always. :toast

bobby4germany
07-19-2010, 01:07 PM
He would go top 10 for sure!

coyotes_geek
07-19-2010, 01:19 PM
Tiago's contract is pretty close to what Demarcus Cousins got as the #5 pick, if you choose to use that as your measuring stick.

Galileo
07-19-2010, 02:04 PM
Splitter would be a third pick.