PDA

View Full Version : Series notebook: Spurs seek answers to pick-and-roll

Kori Ellis
05-14-2005, 12:09 AM
Series notebook: Spurs seek answers to pick-and-roll
Web Posted: 05/14/2005 12:00 AM CDT

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA051405.7C.BKNspurs.notebook.270681d01.html

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich gave his players the day off Friday. The team will practice this afternoon, during which time the players probably will receive another lesson in how to guard the pick-and-roll.

Seattle unraveled the Spurs' defense in Game 3 with several middle pick-and-rolls, more than once giving Jerome James an open lane to the basket for a dunk. After Nazr Mohammed missed one rotation early in the game, Popovich benched him for Rasho Nesterovic.

"I think it was more or less miscommunication at different times," Bruce Bowen said. "We just didn't know what we were in at that time. Part of it is focus. I'm sure that won't happen again like that.

"Playoff basketball is about adjustments. They saw something we didn't do well against that pick-and-roll and tried to expose it."

The Sonics ran far more pick-and-rolls than they did in the first two games.

"They want to force the pick-and-roll to one side," James said. "That's their philosophy, forcing to the strong side where their 7-footers can come over and help. But they leave the whole back side naked."

Although the Sonics enjoyed success with the pick-and-roll in the first three quarters, the Spurs had made a defensive adjustment by game's end. Sonics coach Nate McMillan said his players will keep using the play, perhaps with some tweaks of their own.

"The pick-and-roll has been the strength of our club all season," he said.

Small unit works: Even more vital for the Sonics on Thursday: An ability to survive with a small lineup.

"A good thing for us (Thursday) night was the small unit we were able to put on the floor and still be able to defend," McMillan said. "That was a concern for us, defending with that unit and still getting the spacing we needed."

Spurs' other woes: In addition to their struggles on defense, Popovich said the Spurs lost because they failed to keep Seattle off the boards and because of their own poor foul shooting.

"I think they beat us by about 10 on the offensive boards," Popovich said. "Well, those are eight or nine or 10 extra possessions. You can control that sort of thing, so we worry about those kinds of things, not missed shots."

No Mr. nice guy: James had an interesting metaphor for describing why Seattle shouldn't treat the Spurs with respect.

"It's like if you're holding an infant in your arms and a bully tries to take him from you," James said. "You're not going to slap the bully on the head and say 'Oh, excuse me good sir.' You're going to jump on him and try to kill him."

Easy assumption: Sonics starting forwards Rashard Lewis and Reggie Evans might be listed officially as "game-time decisions" after suffering minor injuries in Game 3 on Thursday, but McMillan agreed it was safe to assume both will be in the lineup when Game 4 tips off Sunday.

"The good thing is we do have two days before (Sunday's) game," McMillan said. "I know both (Lewis) and Mike (trainer Mike Shimensky) will do all they can to try and get ready for (Sunday's) game.

"I think it really will be a game-time decision. He got several treatments (Friday), he'll get more (today) and we'll see what it's like on Sunday. I'm sure he won't do any running (today). Sunday will probably be the first time he puts pressure, as far as a sneaker, on it."

Evans has been bothered by back spasms most of the season.

"(Thursday) night it just flared up," McMillan said.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-14-2005, 12:22 AM
"They want to force the pick-and-roll to one side," James said. "That's their philosophy, forcing to the strong side where their 7-footers can come over and help. But they leave the whole back side naked."

Thanks for the heads up, dumbass.

"It's like if you're holding an infant in your arms and a bully tries to take him from you," James said. "You're not going to slap the bully on the head and say 'Oh, excuse me good sir.' You're going to jump on him and try to kill him."

That could very well be the worst analogy I've ever heard.

Sec24Row7
05-14-2005, 12:42 AM
If they have a hard time with XXX and James in the Pick and Roll... they have no chance against Nash/Stoudamire...

They need to figure that play out and quickly.

johnny00
05-14-2005, 03:03 AM

My thoughts exactly Aggie, Fatass opens his mouthway too much.

Amuseddaysleeper
05-14-2005, 03:05 AM
If they have a hard time with XXX and James in the Pick and Roll... they have no chance against Nash/Stoudamire...

They need to figure that play out and quickly.

well said

gospursgojas
05-14-2005, 04:00 AM
Series notebook: Spurs seek answers to pick-and-roll
Web Posted: 05/14/2005 12:00 AM CDT

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA051405.7C.BKNspurs.notebook.270681d01.html

He talking not so much on how he would be trying to protect his child, but his sandwich

grjr
05-14-2005, 04:25 AM
I think the Spurs have, so far, missed a chance to exploit Seattle's pick and roll defense. As I was watching the replay of game 2 there were several times when Tony ran a P&R with Nazr and Nazr popped wide open in the middle of the lane. Tony either didn't see him or didn't want to throw him the ball. I think Tony needs to chuck it in there a couple of times and see if Nazr can catch it and finish it. Maybe more of a lob pass than a bullet pass. :lol

gospursgojas
05-14-2005, 04:30 AM
I think the Spurs have, so far, missed a chance to exploit Seattle's pick and roll defense. As I was watching the replay of game 2 there were several times when Tony ran a P&R with Nazr and Nazr popped wide open in the middle of the lane. Tony either didn't see him or didn't want to throw him the ball. I think Tony needs to chuck it in there a couple of times and see if Nazr can catch it and finish it. Maybe more of a lob pass than a bullet pass. :lol

Yeah IF he can catch it