PDA

View Full Version : Splitter: I wanna play in the NBA

elgato21
06-23-2010, 04:36 AM
http://baskonia.elcorreo.com/noticias/2010-06-23/baskonia-ofrece-splitter-contrato-20100623.html

Basically:
Baskonia offer him a extension till 2015..

Splitter is grateful with the interest of Baskonia but his intention is play in the NBA..

EricB
06-23-2010, 04:37 AM
say it with me San Antonio

PAY HIM PAY HIM PAY HIM

timvp
06-23-2010, 04:43 AM
A couple of exciting quotes in that article.

But I'm not going to swim in the Splitter hype until there is talk of contract figures. We saw what happened last time . . .

EricB
06-23-2010, 04:44 AM
Ok need translation of the article for us Spanish illiterates

06-23-2010, 04:45 AM
http://baskonia.elcorreo.com/noticias/2010-06-23/baskonia-ofrece-splitter-contrato-20100623.html

Basically:
Baskonia offer him a extension till 2015..

Splitter is grateful with the interest of Baskonia but his intention is play in the NBA..
Good news. Does the article say how much per year they offered splitter?

jiggy_55
06-23-2010, 05:13 AM
Google translation of quotes:

Aware of being in a critical moment in his career, Splitter does not close any door, although it stresses its desire to prove himself as soon as possible in the best league in the world. Speaking to this newspaper, the inside Barca said that "I am grateful, but my intention is to play in the NBA. It is not a categorical refusal, but almost. Splitter recalls that "the moment I expected, but what I have in my head right now is playing in the NBA."

"At Baskonia already made clear that was not a financial issue, but career goals. I think it's a good time to make the leap. It's something I always wanted to do. I am neither the first nor the last, "he said.

slick'81
06-23-2010, 05:13 AM
now how much?!?

jiggy_55
06-23-2010, 05:15 AM
Sure seems like he has a strong preference to coming over, which is the general consensus of everyone. It's been said he'll likely join for a while now.

He says its not a financial issue, and that it's a good point in his career to make the transition to the NBA. Its something he has always wanted.

Chieflion
06-23-2010, 05:18 AM
It is all talk until he signs on that dotted line.

jiggy_55
06-23-2010, 05:22 AM
It is all talk until he signs on that dotted line.

Sure.. but a dream is a dream, and every great basketball player dreams of playing in the NBA as he has said.. He has a desire to play there and I think that's what matters.. Considering he is at the top in Spain, I would bet he's joining the Spurs..

timvp
06-23-2010, 05:28 AM
The presumption among other NBA GMs also has Splitter's starting price exceeding $5 million and the length of his contract running as much as six seasons.

Presume this: Buford will cut the best deal he can for Peter Holt and his partners, cognizant that recent economic turmoil in Spain has eroded one edge Caja Laboral previously enjoyed in the battle for Splitter's services.

Mike Monroe (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/to_spurs_drafting_merely_first_step_96945774.html? showFullArticle=y)

A contract of 6 years and $30M+ is a lot of got damn money. But at this point, Splitter pretty much has the Spurs bent over. The front office can't afford not to bring Splitter over.

Muser
06-23-2010, 05:33 AM
6 Seasons? Holy shit.

Chieflion
06-23-2010, 05:37 AM
6 Seasons? Holy shit.

According to the CBA or some shit, if I remember correctly, Splitter has to be signed for a minimum of 3 seasons. 6 seasons, though, is nothing to sneeze about. Splitter clearly does not want to be affected by the new CBA in 2011, although he definitely can't sign for 6 years with the MLE, which is against the CBA.

lurker23
06-23-2010, 05:38 AM
A contract of 6 years and $30M+ is a lot of got damn money. But at this point, Splitter pretty much has the Spurs bent over. The front office can't afford not to bring Splitter over.

It IS a lot of money, and yes, Splitter & Co. have the major upper-hand in the negotiations. In 3 years, that contract could be a major albatross. However, if Splitter is close to the level we think he is, that contract could be a bargain in its latter half. Honestly, if I were Splitter, I'd want no more than 3-4 years, so I could cash in on the ridiculous money that bigs get in the NBA, even under whatever form the new CBA takes.

Bruno
06-23-2010, 05:39 AM
Splitter can't sign a 6 years contract. The max length allowed by the CBA is 5 years.

timvp
06-23-2010, 05:39 AM
Splitter can't sign a 6 years contract. The max length allowed by the CBA is 5 years.

:lol I was about to look that up.

Gotta love Monroe.

Chieflion
06-23-2010, 05:41 AM

Is it 8.5% raises or 10% raises? I suppose it is 8.5% raises because it is the MLE.

Bruno
06-23-2010, 05:43 AM
Is it 8.5% raises or 10% raises? I suppose it is 8.5% raises because it is the MLE.

It's 8%.
10.5% are when a team re-signs one of its player using bird rights.

Chieflion
06-23-2010, 05:44 AM
It's 8%.
10.5% are when a team re-signs one of its player using bird rights.

Thank you. I was confused between 8%, 8.5%, 10% and 10.5%.

jesterbobman
06-23-2010, 07:25 AM
5 years 30 million for Splitter would be a good deal. I'd take that. Likely a bargain for us, and Splitter has guaranteed money well through the CBA. Even if the Cap goes to a hard cap with the new CBA, 6 million is hardly cap killing for a presumed starting centre.

picnroll
06-23-2010, 07:52 AM
After the Scola abortion hopefully the Spurs won't screw this one up.

Seventyniner
06-23-2010, 07:56 AM
I think I'd prefer a 5-year contract over a 2 or 3 year one, it gives some cost certainty, and given Splitter's very strong play in Europe, his salary is more likely to be a bargain than a hindrance.

I wonder if he'd take a 5-year deal starting at $4.2M. Remember that raises are 8% of the first year of the contract; they don't compound. I picked $4.2M because the rest of the MLE (around $1.5M?) would be close to the LLE amount, giving the Spurs two slots to sign players above the minimum.

The salaries would be:
$4,200,000
$4,536,000
$4,872,000
$5,208,000
$5,544,000
for a total of $24,360,000. This isn't bad for a starting-quality big man.

ploto
06-23-2010, 08:33 AM
Honestly, if I were Splitter, I'd want no more than 3-4 years, so I could cash in on the ridiculous money that bigs get in the NBA, even under whatever form the new CBA takes.

5 year deal with a player option after the 4th

Johnny RIngo
06-23-2010, 08:33 AM
The salaries would be:
$4,200,000
$4,536,000
$4,872,000
$5,208,000
$5,544,000
for a total of $24,360,000. This isn't bad for a starting-quality big man.

We don't know if he'll turn out to be a starting quality big though.

Mel_13
06-23-2010, 08:40 AM
5 year deal with a player option after the 4th

Or a 4 year deal with a player option after the 3rd. If Bird Rights survive in the 2011 CBA, the earliest Splitter could become an unrestricted FA with full Bird Rights would be after his third NBA season.

If we ran a pool, I would guess that Splitter signs a 4yr deal starting at around 1M below the full MLE (about 4.8M) and has a player option for the 4th year.

So 4yrs/21.5M with the last year (6M) as a player option.

SenorSpur
06-23-2010, 08:57 AM
It's clear that Splitter has ALL the leverage in this situation. We've been down this road before. I'll only believe it when an official announcement is made. I sure hope the Spurs have enough information on what he wants to do, so they can factor that into their draft plans.

rayray2k8
06-23-2010, 10:34 AM
Splitter's Deal With Spurs Could Start At MLE

Jun 23, 2010 10:55 AM EST

The Spurs are widely expected to sign Tiago Splitter sometime soon after free agency opens on July 1.

GM R.C. Buford categorizes the expectation as "presumptuous".

Splitter is now widely acknowledged as the best big man in Europe.

Splitter can expect a deal starting at the mid-level exception, about $5.5 million. He could make more money to stick around Spain, so the Spurs will likely have to make up the difference with a long-term contract.

One rival NBA executive surmises it will take five years and a total package worth between $25 million and $30 million to entice Splitter away from Spain's money.

"I've heard he's developed his game so much over the past couple of years," Manu Ginobili said Tuesday. "I'm dying to see him. I'd love to see him play with us."

Read more: http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/67386/20100623/splitters_deal_with_spurs_could_start_at_mle/#ixzz0rgtKr6Er

rayray2k8
06-23-2010, 10:35 AM
Finally good to see a spur talk about him and of all people it's Manu!! :D

Mel_13
06-23-2010, 11:00 AM
Finally good to see a spur talk about him and of all people it's Manu!! :D

Manu and Splitter do share the same agent.

Seventyniner
06-23-2010, 11:00 AM
Splitter getting the whole MLE limits the Spurs' options even more, though, and it increases the tax hit for at least this coming season.

bigdog
06-23-2010, 11:01 AM
"Could Start At MLE"......isn't that the only thing he could get?

ducks
06-23-2010, 11:02 AM

he could get less:lol

Mel_13
06-23-2010, 11:03 AM

McDonald article.

Leetonidas
06-23-2010, 11:05 AM
Fuck man, if this prick doesn't come over this summer, I'm gonna fly to Brazil and rape him. With a hot soldering iron.

Gino2882
06-23-2010, 11:07 AM
I don't see the motivation from either side to do a 5 year deal? From Splitter's perspective that is huge commitment for a man who has never played in the NBA and from the Spurs' view the same thing.

If the minimum they can sign him to is 3 years that is what makes the most sense.

Something like 3 years and 14 million would be ideal.

hater
06-23-2010, 11:09 AM
:downspin::downspin::downspin::downspin::downspin: :downspin::downspin::downspin::downspin:

wildbill2u
06-23-2010, 01:50 PM
If I'm Splitter I want a shorter contract so I can move to the really big money if I pan out as I expect.

cantthinkofanything
06-23-2010, 02:06 PM
After the Scola abortion hopefully the Spurs won't screw this one up.

This is offensive to aborted babies everywhere.

Spurs Brazil
06-23-2010, 02:41 PM
Tiago wants to come to the NBA now. I think he and the Spurs will get the deal done but it'll start around $5 million and if it's more than a 3year deal it'll probably have a opt out clause after the 3rd year.

I thought a 3 year - $ 12 million deal would be enough to bring him, but after his strong playoffs we'll need to pay more

duncan228
06-23-2010, 04:10 PM
Manu Ginobili Wants to Play with Tiago Splitter, Sends the Front Office a Message (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=tsn-manuginobiliwantstop)
SportingNews

I have made no secret of the fact that I think Tiago Splitter can reinvigorate the Spurs and put them back in the championship mix. For an aging team, there’s no discounting the importance of adding a young difference maker, especially one who could team with Tim Duncan to create one of the league’s best post tandems.

The current Spurs have heard of Splitter’s exploits in Spain, too. And at least one high-profile member of the team wants to see R.C. Buford and the rest of the front office bring the Brazilian to Texas this summer. From Jeff McDonald on Courtside with the Spurs (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2010/06/ginobili-wants.html):

"I’ve heard he’s developed his game so much over the past couple of years," Ginobili, himself an international icon with Argentina, said Tuesday. "I’m dying to see him. I’d love to see him play with us." […]

As currently constructed, the Spurs could offer Splitter, 25, a deal starting at the mid-level exception, about $5.5 million or so. He could make more money to stick around Spain, so the Spurs will likely have to make up the difference with a long-term contract.

One rival NBA executive surmises it will take five years and a total package worth between $25 million and $30 million to entice Splitter away from Spain’s money.

Ginobili is a nice person, so he did not flat-out tell the front office that they must bring Splitter to our shores or else he’d request a trade. Ginobili just signed a contract extension a few months ago, and he’s committed to the cause.

But his assumption in signing that contract was that the Spurs would do everything possible to win another championship. Yes, their core is aging, but they’re still capable players who don’t want to fade into insignificance without a fight. Ginobili and his teammates feel capable, and they don’t want to pass up a shot at Splitter just because he might be expensive. Buford already let Luis Scola(notes) get away to a division rival and no one wants a repeat of that situation.

Ginobili’s not asking for much here. When you have the rights to an outstanding player, people expect you to sign him no matter the cost.

rAm
06-23-2010, 04:32 PM
If he didn't want to sign with us a few years ago because we couldn't offer him a large enough contract, and he is being offered another even larger contract, than how would we get him now? Am I missing something? Or can the spurs just offer more money now?

Muser
06-23-2010, 04:38 PM
If he didn't want to sign with us a few years ago because we couldn't offer him a large enough contract, and he is being offered another even larger contract, than how would we get him now? Am I missing something? Or can the spurs just offer more money now?

The rookie scale doesn't aplly anymore.

objective
06-23-2010, 04:45 PM
edit to emphasize sarcasm

Splitter's wanting the MLE . . . why does that sound so familiar? Oh yeah, it should spark something like this . . .

This is madness! Splitter maybe demanding the MLE! I can't believe this, except this time it could be true! Where is the outrage!?!

Have Splitter and his buyout jerked the Spurs around enough to the point where he's become expendable? Add in his contract demands . . . can the Spurs afford to pay so much to former 1st and set a bad precedent? What other crazy demands would he have? Starting? A guaranteed role? Pop doesn't even guarantee Duncan anything.

Because if the Spurs pay Splitter, then they probably can't afford Bonner. And Splitter has never proven anything in the NBA to demand a dime over minimum! And he can't rebound in the NBA, can't defend, and most of all, can't spread the floor!

Splitter can't play next to Duncan, every fan knows that only a floor spreader like Bonner can.

Matt Bonner knows the system. He is the heir to Horry! He dominates with plus-minus! Spurs might be able to get Bonner to sign a 3-year deal for about 12-15 million. Considering his plus/minus numbers and his vital floor spreading role on a team bereft of shooters and how good his %s are (39% and 44% the last two years), he deserves the raise.

Plus, if the Spurs re-sign Bonner, the Spurs can then trade Splitter's rights packaged with McDyess to get out from under the rest of McDyess's deal.

MannyIsGod
06-23-2010, 04:55 PM
Scola thread!

MannyIsGod
06-23-2010, 04:55 PM
BTW Splitter > Scola.

:)

clubalien
06-23-2010, 05:04 PM
interesting manus comment that he signed with a promise they would sign splitter

many claim duncan took less to win

however, tony being shopped

means tim and manu have approved the trading of tony?

SenorSpur
06-23-2010, 05:16 PM
Splitter's wanting the MLE . . . why does that sound so familiar? Oh yeah, it should spark something like this . . .

This is madness! Splitter maybe demanding the MLE! I can't believe this, except this time it could be true! Where is the outrage!?!

Have Splitter and his buyout jerked the Spurs around enough to the point where he's become expendable? Add in his contract demands . . . can the Spurs afford to pay so much to former 1st and set a bad precedent? What other crazy demands would he have? Starting? A guaranteed role? Pop doesn't even guarantee Duncan anything.

Because if the Spurs pay Splitter, then they probably can't afford Bonner. And Splitter has never proven anything in the NBA to demand a dime over minimum! And he can't rebound in the NBA, can't defend, and most of all, can't spread the floor!

Splitter can't play next to Duncan, every fan knows that only a floor spreader like Bonner can.

Matt Bonner knows the system. He is the heir to Horry! He dominates with plus-minus! Spurs might be able to get Bonner to sign a 3-year deal for about 12-15 million. Considering his plus/minus numbers and his vital floor spreading role on a team bereft of shooters and how good his %s are (39% and 44% the last two years), he deserves the raise.

Plus, if the Spurs re-sign Bonner, the Spurs can then trade Splitter's rights packaged with McDyess to get out from under the rest of McDyess's deal.

Let me make sure I understand. You're seriously advocating the Spurs to resign Bonner and trade Splitter's rights?

Blackjack
06-23-2010, 05:21 PM
objective ...

embrace the blue . . . :smokin

objective
06-23-2010, 05:25 PM
Let me make sure I understand. You're seriously advocating the Spurs to resign Bonner and trade Splitter's rights?

no, i was mocking the great mass of Spurs fans by re-imaging the Scola debacle with Splitter.

But a few more articles from the EN with leaks designed to make Splitter look greedy and to cause doubts as to his ability to play in the NBA, and half the board will be back on the Bonner bandwagon.

benefactor
06-23-2010, 05:26 PM
People still read the EN?

Gino2882
06-23-2010, 05:27 PM

LOL, that is the way I took it to. Why couldn't Splitter play next to Duncan? He would be a very good fit next to Duncan. Plus, it would mean MUCH less of small ball. Splitter is a legit seven footer who can move, I think he would help Duncan out a lot.

Blackjack
06-23-2010, 05:30 PM

Honestly, I read yesterday's Splitter article because someone linked it to me. I didn't know it was E-N. But I clicked on it and read it ... the first time I've gone to the site since their butthurt ass got all lawyered up ... and I gotta be honest.

I'll check the links more often.

TD 21
06-23-2010, 05:33 PM
Give him the full MLE for 5 years. The odds of his value exceeding that number in short order are greater than him being overpaid. If he wants to lock himself into a number that low long-term, when he's potentially capable of making a lot more within' a couple of seasons, let him do it.

objective
06-23-2010, 05:35 PM
LOL, that is the way I took it to. Why couldn't Splitter play next to Duncan? He would be a very good fit next to Duncan. Plus, it would mean MUCH less of small ball. Splitter is a legit seven footer who can move, I think he would help Duncan out a lot.

See, that's what most people might think.

But I was listening to the most recent Project Spurs podcast with those guys who sound 12 with nasally lisps and the youngest sounding one was complaining that Splitter was too small to play center and a variety of other ridiculous things that weren't even reasonably true.

So if a guy who should be well versed on the Spurs goes and hosts his own podcast gets the basics wrong like on how big Splitter is, then I don't think much of the average fan's ability to grasp the obvious. After all, plenty of well respected posters here even bought into the anti-Scola hype and the Bonner brilliance.

Blackjack
06-23-2010, 05:48 PM
Give him the full MLE for 5 years. The odds of his value exceeding that number in short order are greater than him being overpaid. If he wants to lock himself into a number that low long-term, when he's potentially capable of making a lot more within' a couple of seasons, let him do it.

Pretty much my sentiment. I don't have much doubt in his ability to be a worthy recipient of an MLE deal, given the position he plays, so I don't have much of a problem given him 4 or 5 with a player option in the final year.

Just look at what a decent Big costs you these days. He's worth a MLE or near MLE contract, he'd actually be hurting himself asking for more years -- I'd want to be free from my contract after 2-3 years when I about 28, in my prime and capable of securing more cash on the second contract. That's what he's got to still be looking towards: the second contract.

MaNu4Tres
06-23-2010, 06:44 PM

Spot on TD :tu

HarlemHeat37
06-23-2010, 08:07 PM
They have to pay him either way, it shouldn't matter if it takes the full MLE, give it to him..

Splitter is by far the best player the Spurs could realistically acquire with the MLE anyways, they won't find a better option..money should NOT be an issue here if the Spurs still want to win..

The Spurs at least have a few players that could POTENTIALLY fill the roles of athletic wings(Hairston, Gee, Temple, maybe a 1st/2nd round pick), but there is no possible option that they could get to play the role Splitter would play here, so it's a no-brainer..

I realize spending somebody else's money is easy, but I will be very disappointed if money is the reason Splitter isn't on the team..

TD 21
06-23-2010, 08:21 PM
I can't see money being the reason Splitter is not on this team. I'm confident that the Spurs understand the situation that you just detailed and I fully expect them to oblige Splitter's request/demand.

It's not like this is stunning either. Maybe people didn't think it would be five years or were hoping they could get him for less than the full MLE, but all along we heard he was likely to command the full MLE for at least three seasons.

As I said earlier, if he wants to limit his earning potential in his fourth and fifth seasons, let him.

Interesting that Buford said "we have a pretty good starting center". Actually, it's not so much interesting as it is stupid. The inference, that is. If he needs some time to get acclimated, that's fine, he doesn't have to start from day one, but at some point next season, so long as he's not a total flop, he should be the starting four or five.

Why would they start two old, immobile bigs together? One of whom prefers to and is better suited to coming off the bench at this stage of his career. Then the flip side is they'd have two young, inexperienced (at least in the NBA) bigs coming off the bench together. Sure, there's plenty of mixing and matching throughout the game, but this is foolish. Duncan needs a young, mobile, multi-faceted, legit number two big who's 6-11 or up big next to him primarily. That would make the minutes he does play less arduous than they are now.

lurker23
06-23-2010, 10:31 PM

Only the Sporting News, so that they can quote more than two sentences of it in their articles. :downspin:

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-23-2010, 10:36 PM
Offer him the MLE for 5 yrs and get that signature. He's the best centre outside the NBA and just lifted his Baskonia team over a Barca team that was being described as one of the best teams ever to grace Europe.

It's Splitter time, make it happen.

bobby4germany
06-23-2010, 11:47 PM
Offer him the MLE for 5 yrs and get that signature. He's the best centre outside the NBA and just lifted his Baskonia team over a Barca team that was being described as one of the best teams ever to grace Europe.

It's Splitter time, make it happen.

+100000

Who cares how much it costs!? Splitter IS nba ready now and could be the piece that the Spurs need to put them over the top.

milkyway21
06-24-2010, 04:11 AM
Because of that article of Manu about Splitter, I am now 60% sure he'll wear a Spurs jersey next season

Ginobili wants to play with Splitter
By Jeff McDonald

It's been three seasons since Manu Ginobili last saw Tiago Splitter play in person. He's eager to see the big Brazilian now — and preferably in a Spurs uniform.

"I've heard he's developed his game so much over the past couple of years," Ginobili, himself an international icon with Argentina, said Tuesday. "I'm dying to see him. I'd love to see him play with us."

Ginobili might soon get his wish. The Spurs are widely expected to sign Splitter sometime soon after free agency opens on July 1 — an expectation general manager R.C. Buford calls "presumptuous.":(

Splitter, the Spurs' 2007 first-round draft pick and centerpiece of Caja Laboral's 2010 Spanish League title, is now widely acknowledged as the best big man in Europe. He was recently named MVP of the Spanish League's regular season and Finals, a double feat last accomplished by Arvydas Sabonis in 1994.

Finally coaxing the 6-foot-11 Splitter from Europe has become the front-burner issue of the Spurs' offseason.

As currently constructed, the Spurs could offer Splitter, 25, a deal starting at the mid-level exception, about $5.5 million or so. He could make more money to stick around Spain, so the Spurs will likely have to make up the difference with a long-term contract.

One rival NBA executive surmises it will take five years and a total package worth between $25 million and $30 million to entice Splitter away from Spain's money.

Presumptuous or not, it is expected that the Spurs will ultimately pay it. Ginobili, for one, wouldn't mind.

UnWantedTheory
06-24-2010, 04:25 AM
I can't see money being the reason Splitter is not on this team. I'm confident that the Spurs understand the situation that you just detailed and I fully expect them to oblige Splitter's request/demand.

It's not like this is stunning either. Maybe people didn't think it would be five years or were hoping they could get him for less than the full MLE, but all along we heard he was likely to command the full MLE for at least three seasons.

As I said earlier, if he wants to limit his earning potential in his fourth and fifth seasons, let him.

Interesting that Buford said "we have a pretty good starting center". Actually, it's not so much interesting as it is stupid. The inference, that is. If he needs some time to get acclimated, that's fine, he doesn't have to start from day one, but at some point next season, so long as he's not a total flop, he should be the starting four or five.

Why would they start two old, immobile bigs together? One of whom prefers to and is better suited to coming off the bench at this stage of his career. Then the flip side is they'd have two young, inexperienced (at least in the NBA) bigs coming off the bench together. Sure, there's plenty of mixing and matching throughout the game, but this is foolish. Duncan needs a young, mobile, multi-faceted, legit number two big who's 6-11 or up big next to him primarily. That would make the minutes he does play less arduous than they are now.

Good post. I totally agree. I am not sold on Splitter being our saviour, but I do agree with this post.

UnWantedTheory
06-24-2010, 04:28 AM

Normally I would be scared to commit that long to an unknown player, but you are right on. Near 7 footers with his potential are hard to come by. Even if he does not work out for us, there are always people willing to take a chance on a player like that.

rascal
06-24-2010, 04:31 AM
+100000

Who cares how much it costs!? Splitter IS nba ready now and could be the piece that the Spurs need to put them over the top.

You are overrating Splitter. He is not going to be that much of a difference maker to put the spurs over the top.

jiggy_55
06-24-2010, 04:35 AM
Normally I would be scared to commit that long to an unknown player, but you are right on. Near 7 footers with his potential are hard to come by. Even if he does not work out for us, there are always people willing to take a chance on a player like that.

How is he "unknown"?

The fact of the matter is that this guy is an MVP in Spain, the 2nd best bball league after the NBA. I am sure he will need time to adapt, but he should most definitely be a success even in his 1st year. He's played for years at a top level at club and international levels, there's no reason at all his talent won't translate into the NBA. Signing him for 5 years at that amount would be great.

Also, most teams in the NBA would love to have him at that price. Their are a bunch of moron 7 footers getting paid 10million+ for doing jack shit.

DaBears
06-24-2010, 08:19 AM
I just hope he he is not a bust, like the RJ trade has been thus far... Im sure he can live up to the billing.

bobby4germany
06-24-2010, 08:30 AM
You are overrating Splitter. He is not going to be that much of a difference maker to put the spurs over the top.

You could be right but I hope your wrong. Splitter is a very nice piece for this team and I think he will make a big difference. I would much rather see him cleaning the boards and giving Timmy some help down low than to see Bonner standing at the three point line! We all know that Tim has been over worked these past couple of seasons (especially early on) and bringing Splitter over could help to relieve some of that work load.

Sissiborgo
06-24-2010, 08:42 AM
If he joins us we will have a good big man combo if he will play pretty much like he did in europe!....

sexinthatsx
06-24-2010, 01:15 PM
So maybe the contract extension for Ginobili might have played a big part in bringing Splitter in, looking back at it...?

jimo2305
06-24-2010, 01:19 PM
Because of that article of Manu about Splitter, I am now 60% sure he'll wear a Spurs jersey next season

Ginobili wants to play with Splitter
By Jeff McDonald

It's been three seasons since Manu Ginobili last saw Tiago Splitter play in person. He's eager to see the big Brazilian now — and preferably in a Spurs uniform.

"I've heard he's developed his game so much over the past couple of years," Ginobili, himself an international icon with Argentina, said Tuesday. "I'm dying to see him. I'd love to see him play with us."

Ginobili might soon get his wish. The Spurs are widely expected to sign Splitter sometime soon after free agency opens on July 1 — an expectation general manager R.C. Buford calls "presumptuous.":(

Splitter, the Spurs' 2007 first-round draft pick and centerpiece of Caja Laboral's 2010 Spanish League title, is now widely acknowledged as the best big man in Europe. He was recently named MVP of the Spanish League's regular season and Finals, a double feat last accomplished by Arvydas Sabonis in 1994.

Finally coaxing the 6-foot-11 Splitter from Europe has become the front-burner issue of the Spurs' offseason.

Presumptuous or not, it is expected that the Spurs will ultimately pay it. Ginobili, for one, wouldn't mind.

i see what he did there... :hat

TDMVPDPOY
06-24-2010, 01:21 PM
just throw the MLE at him

look we did overpay for rasho at one point, how bad can splitter be?

Hooks
06-24-2010, 01:49 PM
So if the Spurs sign Splitter with the MLE does that mean we can't re-sign Bonner?

EricB
06-24-2010, 01:58 PM
No not exactly.....

eisfeld
06-24-2010, 02:03 PM
Considering how much scrub big men earn in the NBA the MLE for Splitter would be just right. He hasn't proven anything but he is a versatile player who can flourish in the NBA.

Spurs Brazil
06-24-2010, 02:43 PM
Brazilian big website UOL is reporting the Spurs will probably offer a 5 year - $ 30 million deal soon and no Spain team will match it. It also says Tiago is here in Brazil on vacation

Para seduzir Tiago Splitter, San Antonio deve oferecer contrato milionário
Do UOL Esporte
No Rio de Janeiro
Ao que tudo indica, o futuro do brasileiro Tiago Splitter será na NBA a partir do segundo semestre deste ano. Após se destacar no Caja Laboral-ESP e comandar a equipe na conquista do título espanhol da temporada, o pivô deverá receber nos próximos dias oferta considerada irrecusável do San Antonio Spurs.

A equipe do Texas, que planeja renovar seus jogadores que atuam no garrafão, deve oferecer ao jogador brasileiro um contrato de cinco anos, com valores em torno dos 30 milhões de dólares. Números que dificilmente algum time espanhol poderá oferecer para segurá-lo no país.

Desta forma, é bem provável que finalmente se concretize a transferência de Tiago Splitter para o basquete norte-americano. Em 2007, o jogador chegou a participar do processo de escolha de novatos, o Draft, e foi escolhido pelo San Antonio Spurs, mas, na ocasião, preferiu permanecer na Europa, onde recebia um salário mais vantajoso.

Agora, os americanos podem subir a proposta e dificilmente perderão o jogador brasileiro, que acompanha as negociações no Brasil, onde passa férias desde o término da temporada espanhola, a qual foi eleito o melhor jogador do campeonato.
http://esporte.uol.com.br/basquete/ultimas-noticias/2010/06/24/para-contar-com-tiago-splitter-san-antonio-spurs-deve-oferecer-contrato-milionario.jhtm

benefactor
06-24-2010, 02:48 PM
I really think there has already been a handshake agreement, but the Spurs have asked him to keep quiet until after the draft.

benefactor
06-24-2010, 02:50 PM
Link to the article:

http://esporte.uol.com.br/basquete/ultimas-noticias/2010/06/24/para-contar-com-tiago-splitter-san-antonio-spurs-deve-oferecer-contrato-milionario.jhtm

benefactor
06-24-2010, 02:51 PM
Nevermind. It was in the quote.

ploto
06-24-2010, 02:55 PM
Does how much it will take to get Splitter mean the Spurs will not spend as much on Tony Parker?

benefactor
06-24-2010, 02:58 PM
It shouldn't affect it.

Manu-of-steel
06-24-2010, 08:57 PM
Splitter is legit. He will definitely be a big plus in our quest for the 5th ring. Spurs, sign him!

Interrohater
06-25-2010, 02:53 AM
From SI.com (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/basketball/nba/06/18/rights.held/index.html): Coming attractions? Teams waiting on draft picks playing overseas

• Tiago Splitter, Spurs, No. 28 pick in 2007 draft. The Brazilian 7-footer is no stranger to diehard NBA fans, as his name has been on the radar for what seems like years now. He entered his name into the draft pool for the first time in 2004, and has continued to flirt with the NBA for the better part of six years.
Fresh off an ACB championship and Finals MVP award with Caja Laboral, the 25-year-old Splitter has never been more ready to come to the NBA than he is now. He's clearly the best center in Europe, averaging 16 points and 7 rebounds, shooting 58 percent from the field and showing promising defensive ability in the ultracompetitive ACB. Splitter is a mobile center with a good frame, great hands, excellent fundamentals and a high basketball IQ. He could step in and start for many NBA teams immediately and, unlike a lot of international prospects, will have few issues making the transition to the league's style of play.
Splitter finally could be poised to jump to the NBA: He can opt out of his deal in Spain this summer, and because he's three years removed from being drafted, he is eligible to be paid like an NBA free agent. Splitter will likely ask capped-out San Antonio to pay him the full mid-level exception, and he'll be worth every penny considering how desperately it needs him.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/basketball/nba/06/18/rights.held/index.html#ixzz0rqi8y56Y

Reeko_Htown
06-25-2010, 11:21 AM
Yeah, I think he's ready:lol

http://puertatras.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/splitterdespedidadesoltero.jpg

TIMMYD!
06-25-2010, 11:32 AM
Yeah, I think he's ready:lol

http://puertatras.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/splitterdespedidadesoltero.jpg

What the hell was he doing in that picture? :lol

Bruno
06-25-2010, 11:39 AM
What the hell was he doing in that picture? :lol

Bachelor party.

E-RockWill
06-25-2010, 11:48 AM
i see what he did there... :hat

Monroe been readin' the spurstalk's interwebs, I see......