PDA

View Full Version : Chris Paul open to trade from Hornets

tdunk21
06-23-2010, 07:31 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5317801

With trade speculation swirling around him, Chris Paul said Wednesday that he's open to a trade if the New Orleans Hornets aren't committed to winning championships.

"My first choice is to be in New Orleans,'' Paul said in a telephone interview from London. "I just want to make sure we're committed to winning. If we're not committed to winning and trying to get better so we can contend with the Lakers, the Celtics and all these other top teams, then I'm open to being traded.''

My first choice is to be in New Orleans. I just want to make sure we're committed to winning. If we're not committed to winning and trying to get better so we can contend with the Lakers, the Celtics and all these other top teams, then I'm open to being traded.

-- Chris Paul
Reports that clubs have been making offers for Paul surfaced earlier this week. Hornets general manager Jeff Bower denied that the club was shopping its three-time All-Star point guard, but admitted to having dialogue with other teams concerning "all of our players.'' New Hornets coach Monty Williams said he expects Paul to remain in New Orleans.

But around the league, speculation remains that the Hornets may move Paul. With owner George Shinn's proposed sale to Gary Chouest being delayed for financial reasons, opposing executives believe New Orleans may have to trade Paul and the $50 million owed to him over the next three seasons.

"If George Shinn can't sell the team, I think Chris Paul will be traded," an executive from an Eastern Conference team said. "Shinn's strapped for money. He's going to have to move him."

Paul said he does not have a wish list of teams he'd like to play for and emphasized that his desire is to remain in New Orleans -- as long as the Hornets are doing all they can to compete for a title.

After reaching the second round of the playoffs two years ago, the Hornets have been on the decline and failed to make the postseason last year. Opposing executives aren't convinced the club has the financial resources to build the team into a consistent contender.

"I'm fine with staying in New Orleans, but I want to make sure we're committed to winning," said Paul, whose been lauded for the community work he's done in New Orleans. "I don't want to rebuild. I want to win now. It's nothing personal against the city. I love that city. But my biggest thing is winning."

Paul admitted that the free-agent frenzy surrounding LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and others is making him long to be in the best possible situation in terms of winning.

"I'm friends with D-Wade, LeBron, Chris Bosh, Joe Johnson and all these other free agents," said Paul, who's in London promoting his Brand Jordan sneakers. "I'm watching them try to figure out what they're going to do to put themselves in a position to win championships. I'd love to be a part of that stuff."

The reported offers for Paul have been rich in talent. Orlando has reportedly offered Jameer Nelson and Vince Carter, though Magic GM Otis Smith denied it. And New Jersey, which has had several discussions with the Hornets, has reportedly offered Devin Harris and the No. 3 pick in Thursday's draft. Both trades would give the Hornets good talent and save them money long-term.

While Paul did not say anything about playing with James, it's well-known that the two are close friends who would love to be on the same team. If a club with significant cap room, such as New Jersey, landed Paul, its chances of getting James would certainly increase.

TDMVPDPOY
06-23-2010, 08:17 AM
vc+nelson for cp3? wat crack r they smokin, lame package

CGD
06-23-2010, 08:35 AM
Spurs need to make a pitch! TP for CP3 straight up (give or take some spare parts). NO gets the cap space they seek next year and receive a comparable PG in return. Spurs, though losing some offensive firepower, get a better passer and far superior defender at the PG position. If the Spurs are really going to move TP, then I hope they get some legit value (like this trade would be) in return.

Thomas82
06-23-2010, 08:40 AM
Spurs need to make a pitch! TP for CP3 straight up (give or take some spare parts). NO gets the cap space they seek next year and receive a comparable PG in return. Spurs, though losing some offensive firepower, get a better passer and far superior defender at the PG position. If the Spurs are really going to move TP, then I hope they get some legit value (like this trade would be) in return.

I really don't see the Hornets jumping on this one since they already turned the Spurs down on a previous offer for him.

tav1
06-23-2010, 08:47 AM
I suspect NOLA would want a quality non-pg in return for Paul. They already have their bases covered at point, with or without Paul. And they'll probably want to move Peja's contract with Paul. So something like Paul and Peja for quality young player, draft pick and cap relief.

Spursfanfromafar
06-23-2010, 08:52 AM
The Hornets have Darren Collison and so would not do a straight PG-PG trade. They will obviously to shove in James Posey/Peja Stojakovic or even dump Emeka Okafor's big contract in any trade for someone to get for CP3.

There is no way the Spurs would want to take on Posey/Stojakovic/Okafor to get CP3 while losing TP. Although CP3 > TP, it makes no sense to load all kinds of scrap. The drop-off from CP3 to TP is not so high to take in other liabilities while giving up an asset like TP.

tdunk21
06-23-2010, 08:54 AM
TP + RJ for peja + cp3.....

parker and RJ could give them much needed cap space next year but we have to take on peja's stinking contract.....but on the bright side we get a pass first scoring PG in cp3 who can average upto 9 or 10 assists a game....

CGD
06-23-2010, 09:12 AM
I don't think its a bad deal for NO at all, and the fact that they shot us down at the trade deadline doesn't mean they'd turn us down now. Peja is in the last year of his deal, so his $14.2M come off NO's books. Highly unlikely they move that chip as a straight salary dump. No team in their right mind is going to pay Okafur for another 4 years at his current salary so that likely will be a non-starter for ANY team. Posey's contract pays him around 6M each of the next two years, so not sure what to think there. There is a HUGE drop off between CP3/TP and Collison.

Sissiborgo
06-23-2010, 09:13 AM
CP3 would fit nice for the spurs! we need a PG leader to carry on with TD and Manu!

ambchang
06-23-2010, 09:45 AM
The Lakers will get him for Vujacic, and 2 2nd round picks, then the fans will say it's a fair trade.

Thomas82
06-23-2010, 10:02 AM
The Lakers will get him for Vujacic, and 2 2nd round picks, then the fans will say it's a fair trade.

That's typical Lakers for you, acquiring All-Stars in trades for a pack of gum.

OrEmuN
06-23-2010, 11:06 AM
I don't think its a bad deal for NO at all, and the fact that they shot us down at the trade deadline doesn't mean they'd turn us down now. Peja is in the last year of his deal, so his $14.2M come off NO's books. Highly unlikely they move that chip as a straight salary dump. No team in their right mind is going to pay Okafur for another 4 years at his current salary so that likely will be a non-starter for ANY team. Posey's contract pays him around 6M each of the next two years, so not sure what to think there. There is a HUGE drop off between CP3/TP and Collison.

Not sure if the salary works out but do you think Hornets will package CP3 and Okafor together for RJ and Parker. That way, they should be able to get rid of the Okafor's big contract as well as getting PG to tutor Collision.

beachwood
06-23-2010, 11:25 AM
Outside of TD and possibly Manu. The Spurs should do everything in their power to get CP.

Kori Ellis
06-23-2010, 11:40 AM
I really don't see the Hornets jumping on this one since they already turned the Spurs down on a previous offer for him.

That was a rumor. Hornets management said Spurs never made an offer.

lebomb
06-23-2010, 11:48 AM
That was a rumor. Hornets management said Spurs never made an offer.

...........what is wrong with the people in this thread. Why would either the Spurs or Hornets do this deal? :lmao

lebomb
06-23-2010, 11:49 AM
Not sure if the salary works out but do you think Hornets will package CP3 and Okafor together for RJ and Parker. That way, they should be able to get rid of the Okafor's big contract as well as getting PG to tutor Collision.

You dont think CP3 can tutor Collison? OMG......this is killing me. :lmao

Seventyniner
06-23-2010, 12:08 PM
...........what is wrong with the people in this thread. Why would either the Spurs or Hornets do this deal? :lmao

The RJ + TP for CP3 + Okafor trade would be a straight salary dump for the Hornets, while paying lip service to winning. With Shinn having once last chance to screw that team, he just might do it.

Mel_13
06-23-2010, 12:14 PM
The RJ + TP for CP3 + Okafor trade would be a straight salary dump for the Hornets, while paying lip service to winning. With Shinn having once last chance to screw that team, he just might do it.

I'm pretty sure that the Spurs don't have the parts to get Paul, but a salary dump before the sale of the team makes some sense. The balance sheet improves and the new owner doesn't have to take the heat for trading the franchise player.

Seventyniner
06-23-2010, 12:31 PM
I'm pretty sure that the Spurs don't have the parts to get Paul, but a salary dump before the sale of the team makes some sense. The balance sheet improves and the new owner doesn't have to take the heat for trading the franchise player.

I purposely did not mention the new owner. Shinn screwed that franchise by moving them and holding the city of Charlotte hostage, and he might have one parting shot left in him. I actually meant that Shinn might want to put one last filth-stained footprint in the backside of that franchise, and what better way than to trade the franchise player?

Muser
06-23-2010, 12:36 PM
Spurs don't need to trade for CP3.

Mel_13
06-23-2010, 12:36 PM
I purposely did not mention the new owner. Shinn screwed that franchise by moving them and holding the city of Charlotte hostage, and he might have one parting shot left in him. I actually meant that Shinn might want to put one last filth-stained footprint in the backside of that franchise, and what better way than to trade the franchise player?

Understood. Shinn also never wanted to go back to New Orleans after Katrina. He would have preferred to stay in OKC.

I mention the new owner because I'm assuming that he could insist that Paul not be traded as a condition of the sale. That line of reasoning tells me that if Paul is traded, it will happen with the tacit approval of the new owner.

jimo2305
06-23-2010, 01:16 PM

no offense to you muser.. im sure you're an intelligent poster.. but in general..

stuff like this that i see on this board gets me..

why in the world wouldn't we trade to get chris paul? currently a top 3 PG in this league.. who i still believe shoulda been MVP back in '08

ajh18
06-23-2010, 03:05 PM
What about a 3-way with NY? Not entirely certain of all my numbers, but something like this might work:

-NY trades Eddie Curry, Wilson Chandler, and their 2011 first round pick (or Houston's) to NO
-Spurs trade Richard Jefferson, pick #20, and their 2011 first round pick to NO, trade Tony Parker to NY
-NO trades Chris Paul, Morris Peterson, and James Posey to San Antonio

In a scenario like this, NY gets Parker for basically table scraps. They give up a bloated contract in Curry, a decent but not spectacular young forward, and a questionable first round pick next year since Houston can exchange it for theirs.

For the Spurs, they get much deeper at the wing positions by adding some vets (Pop would love it) with not too long contracts, and get Chris Paul to be the point guard for the next decade. They lose Parker, sure, and their #20 pick, but I'm not certain Pop would play as much youth as we have anyway. Posey and Morrison are decent shooters and not a bad 3-man rotation with Hairston at the 3 spot.

As for the Hornets, with this deal they now would have three expiring deals that total over $38 million in salaries (Jefferson, Curry, and Peja), plus Songaila who is at something like $4.5 million. Thats almost $43 million off the cap come next summer. They also get a good young forward to groom as a replacement for posey/morrison. With our first round pick this year, and our first and Houston/NY's next year, they will have the money and draft picks to start a real rebuilding effort if that's what they want to do.

Just an idea.

manu the best
06-23-2010, 03:08 PM
.. what trade did the spurs offer that the hornets dumped ?

Duncan2177
06-23-2010, 03:12 PM

:frying:

jimo2305
06-23-2010, 03:17 PM
What about a 3-way with NY? Not entirely certain of all my numbers, but something like this might work:

-NY trades Eddie Curry, Wilson Chandler, and their 2011 first round pick (or Houston's) to NO
-Spurs trade Richard Jefferson, pick #20, and their 2011 first round pick to NO, trade Tony Parker to NY

In a scenario like this, NY gets Parker for basically table scraps. They give up a bloated contract in Curry, a decent but not spectacular young forward, and a questionable first round pick next year since Houston can exchange it for theirs.

For the Spurs, they get much deeper at the wing positions by adding some vets (Pop would love it) with not too long contracts, and get Chris Paul to be the point guard for the next decade. They lose Parker, sure, and their #20 pick, but I'm not certain Pop would play as much youth as we have anyway. Posey and Morrison are decent shooters and not a bad 3-man rotation with Hairston at the 3 spot.

As for the Hornets, with this deal they now would have three expiring deals that total over $38 million in salaries (Jefferson, Curry, and Peja), plus Songaila who is at something like $4.5 million. Thats almost $43 million off the cap come next summer. They also get a good young forward to groom as a replacement for posey/morrison. With our first round pick this year, and our first and Houston/NY's next year, they will have the money and draft picks to start a real rebuilding effort if that's what they want to do.

Just an idea.

at first i was like "lol..wtf u smokin!!" because i said how would hornets benefit from losing chris paul.. but you make a strong point with the expiring contracts.. i like this..

plus i want to add that the hornets do have darren collison.. he's not chris paul.. but he's shown he can fit the bill the way a young PG should..

EJFischer
06-23-2010, 06:19 PM
It would be corporate negligence for the Spurs not to make an offer for CP3 of some kind, almost certainly involving Parker. I love Tony, but he's not a franchise player. Paul is.

duncan228
06-23-2010, 06:22 PM
Hornets ownership discounts chances of Paul trade (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-draft-hornets)
By Brett Martel

With the 11th overall pick in the NBA draft and Chris Paul on their roster, the New Orleans Hornets are in a prime position to make a blockbuster trade.

For now, though, the franchise’s owners are having a hard time even pondering a deal that would send Paul out of the Big Easy.

“Chris Paul is the cornerstone of our franchise and brings us unequaled support on and off the court,” Hornets majority owner George Shinn said Wednesday in a statement released on both his and partner Gary Chouest’s behalf. “We will continue to build around Chris Paul, and we want to see him in a Hornets uniform for the remainder of his career.

“We have an exciting future,” the statement continued. “With the leadership of our new head coach and players like Chris Paul, we know the best is yet to come.”

Hornets general manager Jeff Bower said he has been fielding a number of calls about possible trades from teams around the league, but has declined to specify which teams, or how many, have made offers for Paul.

Bower said only that he’s obliged to listen to offers for every player in order to gauge the value of the players on his roster.

Bower added that the Hornets appreciate Paul’s role both on the court and in the community, and place a high value on that.

New head coach Monty Williams took it a step further, saying Paul was “the main thing” that excited him about taking over in New Orleans and that he could not envision opening next season without him.

“Chris is a Hornet and I think he’s going to be here for a long time,” Williams said.

If Paul is to remain in New Orleans—and win—he’ll need more help, and fast.

When they were healthy, the Hornets were barely good enough last season to contend for one of the final playoff spots in the Western Conference. When Paul was injured for much of the second half of the season, not even the promising play of rookie guards Darren Collison and Marcus Thornton could prevent New Orleans from plummeting out of the playoff picture.

Bower said he is considering a wide range of options in Thursday’s draft, including trading the pick to move up or down in the draft order. If the Hornets hold on to their pick, there should be players available at No. 11 who can improve the club right away, Bower said.

If New Orleans decides against packaging Collison in a trade, the Hornets are unlikely to draft another point guard. Only three of the 14 prospects invited for workouts at the Hornets training center were smaller than 6-foot-6.

The rest were swing players, power forwards or centers including Kentucky forward Patrick Patterson, Baylor forward Ekpe Udoh, Nevada forward Luke Babbitt, Texas swingman Damion James, LSU forward Tasmin Mitchell, Kansas center Cole Aldrich and Butler swingman Gordon Hayward.

“When we look at this class and look at our team, we feel there’s the space for us to continue to add depth to not only the wing position but the front line position,” Bower said. “We feel we have room for another quality player at either spot.”

Also working out for New Orleans were Iowa State forward Craig Brackins, Xavier forward/center Jason Love, Kansas swingman Xavier Henry, Oklahoma state guard James Anderson, Southern California guard Dwight Lewis, South Florida guard Dominique Jones and Houston guard Aubrey Coleman.

Although New Orleans allowed 102.7 points per game last season, which ranked 20th in the league defensively, Williams said he would still favor drafting a gifted scorer to compliment the offense provided by Paul and power forward David West, even if such a prospect had perceived weaknesses defensively.

“We obviously need shooting to go with Chris and David,” Williams said.

The Hornets thought they had a wing player of the future in 2007 when they drafted Julian Wright out of Kansas in the first round, but his progress has been slower than expected as he enters the fourth and final year of his contract.

Wright has remained in New Orleans to work on his game this summer, hoping he can turn the corner in time to save his career. If he fails, he’ll represent the type of mistake the Hornets must avoid repeating this year.

Williams was quick to point out some of the pitfalls of picking in the top half of the draft.

On one hand, he said, an 11th pick can be attractive in that it provides teams the versatility to trade up or down or stay put and still get a good player.

“But it’s also a position where you can make a mistake because somebody will drop and you jump on them because they dropped, but they may have dropped for a reason,” Williams said. “You just never know.”

baseline bum
06-23-2010, 06:32 PM

Just an idea.

Oh man, I wish.

06-23-2010, 07:59 PM
cp3 is a once in a generation pg but parker isn't that bad either. parker and RJ for paul and okafor's contract seems fair. maybe a first pick or blair. i wouldn't give up much more though.