PDA

View Full Version : Parker wants trade if Hill starts

nbaman99
06-23-2010, 12:30 PM
Written by Michael A. De Leon
Wednesday, 23 June 2010 09:44
According to Newsday, Spurs' guard Tony Parker has said that he'd like to be traded if George Hill is given the starting point-guard job.

The Knicks have explored a few options, including Spurs point guard Tony Parker, who has told confidants that he would like to be traded if San Antonio goes with George Hill as the starter.

http://projectspurs.com/2010-articles/june/parker-wants-trade-if-hill-starts.html

Drachen
06-23-2010, 12:32 PM
What? it is doubtful that GH starts at PG, maybe SG.

Mel_13
06-23-2010, 12:32 PM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4441050&postcount=287

Muser
06-23-2010, 12:35 PM
If Hill started ahead of him I wouldn't blame him.

benefactor
06-23-2010, 12:35 PM
It's sourced from a NY website...so draw your own conclusion.

HarlemHeat37
06-23-2010, 12:36 PM
:lol this thread is going to blooowwww..

I don't see any reason for Hill to be starting though, so hopefully this won't be a problem, assuming that TP actually said that..

Kori Ellis
06-23-2010, 12:39 PM
Yeah, TP should ask to get traded if Hill starts over the course of the season.

Manu will likely be going back to the bench so that they can continue managing his minutes - so Parker will be back in the starting lineup anyway.

SpursTillTheEnd
06-23-2010, 12:40 PM
I love parker as much as anybody on here (no homo, no rainbow) but what is so hard for yall to understand it's over HILL is the future i guess yall didn't watch hill play this year, hill's d is better than tony's d has ever been.

jag
06-23-2010, 12:41 PM
I love parker as much as anybody on here (no homo, no rainbow) but what is so hard for yall to understand it's over HILL is the future i guess yall didn't watch hill play this year, hill's d is better than tony's d has ever been.

Hill is the future of what?

Kori Ellis
06-23-2010, 12:43 PM

Hill's D sucked for the most part in the 2009-10 season. It was better in 2008-09. And he averaged less than an assist a game in 34 mpg in the post season - that's horrible, even if you want to say that Manu was the de facto point.

If the Spurs trade Parker, I'd imagine they want a real point guard back that can start.

SpursTillTheEnd
06-23-2010, 12:44 PM
I could write a paragraph about how hill is a better option than parker right now and for the future but i don't have time.

EricB
06-23-2010, 12:44 PM

What don't you understand hat George hill is a shooting guard not a point guard?

4>0rings
06-23-2010, 12:45 PM
I guess you missed the Suns series where Hill was burned by a geriatric Canadian.... a CANADIAN I say!

Kori Ellis
06-23-2010, 12:46 PM
If the Spurs trade Parker, it's for one reason only - to save money. If Holt & Company decided the spending spree is over due to the Jefferson debacle, then they'll trade Parker for whatever they can and later re-sign Hill for cheap.

jag
06-23-2010, 12:46 PM
I could write a paragraph about how hill is a better option than parker right now and for the future but i don't have time.

Better option for what?

TimmehC
06-23-2010, 12:47 PM
Hill's D sucked for the most part in the 2009-10 season. It was better in 2008-09. And he averaged less than an assist a game in 34 mpg in the post season - that's horrible, even if you want to say that Manu was the de facto point.

If the Spurs trade Parker, I'd imagine they want a real point guard back that can start.

Absolutely, positively THIS.

jag
06-23-2010, 12:50 PM
What don't you understand hat George hill is a shooting guard not a point guard?

He's part of the group that thinks Hill is a future PG whenever he drops 20+.

Im not saying he isn't going to be a part of this team for awhile, but i haven't seen one thing that makes me think George Hill can run an NBA offense for a +.500 team.

ducks
parker wants to start sure
especially since it is his contract year
oh and hill and tp together on the floor work well

SenorSpur
If the Spurs trade Parker, it's for one reason only - to save money. If Holt & Company decided the spending spree is over due to the Jefferson debacle, then they'll trade Parker for whatever they can and later re-sign Hill for cheap.

It would really be terrible if the Spurs were forced to sacrifice TP, in part, because of the failed RJ trade. If there was any justice, RJ should be the one to go - not TP. Of course, RJ doesn't have near the value of TP and we know that things don't always work out as they should. Still, I'd hate to see Parker be moved. However if they do move him, it's imperative they get back adequate value.

hater
does it really matter who plays PG???

Splitter is carrying this team to the Finals motherfuckers!!!!

ducks
06-23-2010, 12:51 PM
not with hill running the point he is not

Lebowski Brickowski
06-23-2010, 12:55 PM
LMFAO

at all the TP rumors.

nbaman99
06-23-2010, 12:57 PM
We're talking about winning another championship next year or before Timmy retires and since we all expect Splitter to join us this coming season its more looks like a reality than a dream, but if we trade TP I think it will be so hard to accomplish this season as a GH our PG, unless we somehow get CP3. No offence to GH, I like him a lot, but he still not Tony Parker, and we all know how important for us to keep the same team next season if we want another ring.

lebomb
06-23-2010, 01:04 PM

.................. 4yrs from now maybe, MAYBE! But a better option right now? You are on crack my friend. No dayum way. No way. :rolleyes

Mr Bones
06-23-2010, 01:04 PM
Exactly how would a sportswriter from a New York newspaper ( Newsday, which by the way, is practically a tabloid) have access to a Tony Parker quote that on one else on the planet has heard?

Stringer_Bell
06-23-2010, 01:05 PM
How many "angry" or "spoiled" TP quotes actually turned out to be true? There's only one to my knowledge that was legit (the one about not wanting to babysit a rebuilding Spurs team after Timmy retires). He passed up the national team to rest, doubt he's spending his time talking about trades to anyone.

Mel_13
06-23-2010, 01:10 PM
Exactly how would a sportswriter from a New York newspaper ( Newsday, which by the way, is practically a tabloid) have access to a Tony Parker quote that on one else on the planet has heard?

How many "angry" or "spoiled" TP quotes actually turned out to be true? There's only one to my knowledge that was legit (the one about not wanting to babysit a rebuilding Spurs team after Timmy retires). He passed up the national team to rest, doubt he's spending his time talking about trades to anyone.

:tu

Tony has always been brutally honest when giving interviews. If he had something to say on this subject, I doubt he would feed his thoughts to a NY sportswriter via anonymous 'confidants'.

Remember, this is the same writer who had the initial Tony to NY story a while back. That story also cited anonymous 'confidants' and Tony categorically denied the story.

beachwood
06-23-2010, 01:12 PM

I agree. Hill's defense was vastly overrated and it came to fruition against Nash. Hill is definitely improving but he has a long ways to go until he reaches TP's level of play.

The only way I see TP being traded is if equal talent is received. No expiring contracts or draft picks.

Cane
06-23-2010, 01:19 PM
Why Parker should be considered to be traded:

1. Parker is a high mileage player for his age due to his championship experience and international play

2. Parker plays an injury-prone style of basketball

3. He's expressed that he'll likely continue playing for France in the future, thus risking his NBA potential

4. The Spurs most impressive run in the season was with Parker injured and he came off the bench against the Mavs.

5. Spurs have huge weaknesses that must be addressed such as improving the frontcourt (Tiago alone won't cut it imo and the Spurs should look into grabbing a defensive SF) and 3 point shooting

6. Hill's improvements

7. Past rumors where Parker says he wants to play for NY, hell he was there just a week or two ago for business ;)

8. Doesn't make much sense for the Spurs financially to gamble on Parker when you add all these points up.

9. Parker could be damaged goods

10. Nowhere near of a hometown star as Manu or Duncan.

11. He's an expiring and this is a capspace loaded summer without star PG's. His trade value should be high despite having an atrociously bad season.

Not sure if I agree that it was only for saving money since the Spurs could've waited on extending Manu and gave him a good deal anyway. Do you think the Spurs would've reconsidered their extension they gave Manu then if they're trying to save money?

If the Spurs are able to land a high draft pick and some serviceable talent it can do several things: save the Spurs money, allow Parker to pursue big-city dreams and earn more $$$, prepare for the post-Duncan era, and depending on the talent can significantly address a team's weakness and help now. Of course this all depends on the details of the trade --- it has to be a damn good one to ship Parker.

Kori Ellis
06-23-2010, 01:21 PM
Not sure if I agree that it was only for saving money since the Spurs could've waited on extending Manu and gave him a good deal anyway.

Manu's contract is short term. Tony's wouldn't be.

manufan10
06-23-2010, 01:23 PM
All this trade Tony crap this year is just as bad as all the trade Manu crap from last year.

DirkISaCocLuvinPuSSy
06-23-2010, 01:30 PM
I love Tony, but I think we should trade him anyways, its not that he's a bad player its just Hill already has more shot and D potential than Tony has at this point. Tony's been it this league a long time and still hasn't implemented a 3 point game and his potential has peaked, plus he's logged a lot of miles already. We need to trade Parker before he loses his speed and all his value, and get a young and long athletic C or SF. Tony's represented good for San Antonio but we need to start thinking about tomorrow. Plus Timmy,Rich, and Parker all clog the lane and movement stalls to much, its much better when Manu and Hill are our back court.

SpursTillTheEnd
06-23-2010, 01:37 PM
I forgot to mention to all yall saying hill can't play pg, did yall see how good this team did when parker was out, that was hill running pg, when parker was in things didn't go good. aight pce

manufan10
06-23-2010, 01:42 PM
I forgot to mention to all yall saying hill can't play pg, did yall see how good this team did when parker was out, that was hill running pg, when parker was in things didn't go good. aight pce

So then Garrett Temple is able to be the Spurs starting PG, right? Because when Hill went out, he was the starting PG, and he played extremely well. Let's trade both Hill and Parker and have Temple be the Spurs' new starting PG.

Agloco
06-23-2010, 01:45 PM
If Hill started ahead of him I wouldn't blame him.

This. I'm not opposed to trading Parker for the right piece/pieces, but benching him in favor of Hill is just nonsense.

He should demand a trade if that occurred.

jb4g
06-23-2010, 01:50 PM
FYI, TP is in New York City at the moment, he's playing in Nash's charity soccer game tommorrow. So the NY media may have access to him right now.

Vic Petro
06-23-2010, 01:51 PM
It's really interesting that people say if Tony is asked to come off the bench, he should demand a trade. With this logic, Manu would have been traded 5 years ago and people on this board would have killed him for not being a "team player".

If Pop deems that the team is better suited with Hill starting and Tony coming off the bench (not that Pop would decide this, but if he did) then Tony should shut his mouth and come off the bench, the same way Manu did. If he doesn't like it he can leave in free agency next year. But what makes Parker so much more special than Manu?

FkLA
06-23-2010, 01:53 PM
this reminds me of when manu was in his prime and asked to be traded if hidayet turkoglu was given the starting job, or michael finley, or brent barry.

oh wait...

Mr Bones
06-23-2010, 01:54 PM
Nash and Dragic each had one great game in the series against the Spurs. In games 2, 3, and 4 Nash played heavy minutes and put up these numbers: 19 pts/6 assists, 16/6, and 20/9. In the past, Nash would have been met by an interior defense after getting by his guy... this year he wasn't. I think reports of Hill's "horrible" D are greatly exaggerated.

Kori Ellis
06-23-2010, 01:59 PM
Nash and Dragic each had one great game in the series against the Spurs. In games 2, 3, and 4 Nash played heavy minutes and put up these numbers: 19 pts/6 assists, 16/6, and 20/9. In the past, Nash would have been met by an interior defense after getting by his guy... this year he wasn't. I think reports of Hill's "horrible" D are greatly exaggerated.

I'm not talking about just in the playoffs. In general throughout the season, his D declined from the year before.

But I'm not knocking Hill. I just don't think he's a point guard (yet??), nor do I think he can be a defensive stopper like many people think he can.

I think he's a huge asset to the team, and think he should start at SG, if Manu is going back to the bench.

FkLA
06-23-2010, 02:01 PM

Simply people being enamored and loyal to TP. Same when they say shit about Hill's assist numbers yet fail to realize that Manu and Tony did about 90% of the ballhandling in the postseason. Tony Parker wasnt necessarily racking up assists his first few years and even today is very far from being Nash or Rondo type of passer.

SenorSpur
06-23-2010, 02:02 PM
Personally, I'm not crazy about have a starting backcourt of a 6'2" PG and SG. The Spurs need length. Hill is too short to play SG in this league. If one has to be sacrificed, I'd rather it be Hill.

Kori Ellis
06-23-2010, 02:06 PM
Simply people being enamored and loyal to TP. Same when they say shit about Hill's assist numbers yet fail to realize that Manu and Tony did about 90% of the ballhandling in the postseason. Tony Parker wasnt necessarily racking up assists his first few years and even today is very far from being Nash or Rondo type of passer.

Parker never averaged 0.7 assist in 34 mpg. That's the same as Matt Bonner's playoff assist average. Hill should get more assists just by accident. Overall it wasn't a good post season for him (though he did have a couple great games).

SpursTillTheEnd
06-23-2010, 02:08 PM
Has parker ever blocked a 7 footer's shot like hill has... just sayin.... what are you talking about hill is short wtf? hill has more length than parker

sandman
06-23-2010, 02:14 PM
hill has more length than parker

And there are internet photos to prove it...

Cane
06-23-2010, 02:16 PM
This. I'm not opposed to trading Parker for the right piece/pieces, but benching him in favor of Hill is just nonsense.

He should demand a trade if that occurred.

Well he's already been benched in favor of Hill during the Mavs series and the last stretch of the regular season.

It's really interesting that people say if Tony is asked to come off the bench, he should demand a trade. With this logic, Manu would have been traded 5 years ago and people on this board would have killed him for not being a "team player".

If Pop deems that the team is better suited with Hill starting and Tony coming off the bench (not that Pop would decide this, but if he did) then Tony should shut his mouth and come off the bench, the same way Manu did. If he doesn't like it he can leave in free agency next year. But what makes Parker so much more special than Manu?

110%!

I'm not talking about just in the playoffs. In general throughout the season, his D declined from the year before.

But I'm not knocking Hill. I just don't think he's a point guard (yet??), nor do I think he can be a defensive stopper like many people think he can.

I think he's a huge asset to the team, and think he should start at SG, if Manu is going back to the bench.

Hmm I've been impressed with Hill defensively EXCEPT for that epic fail against Steve Nash (then again Nash had some great nights against the two-peat champion Lakers as well). I disagree about Hill declining on D since he showed that he was more versatile than ever and even had stretches defending and bothering against forwards like Dirk throughout the season due to his length and defensive effort. It would've been interesting to see how a 2nd year TP would've faced against such. Between Parker and Hill, Parker's the one that declined significantly although it was an injury plagued season.

I agree that it remains to be seen if he can be a defensive stopper but he's got a much better chance of turning out to be one than anyone on the Spurs roster given his youth and that he already made huge improvements.

In any case, it'd have to be a damn good gamble to trade either.

Kori Ellis
06-23-2010, 02:20 PM
Between Parker and Hill, Parker's the one that declined significantly although it was an injury plagued season.
Obviously Parker declined. He went from an All-NBA season to one where he couldn't get healthy.

I just don't think that they will start a Manu-Hill backcourt all year. It will wear down Manu by the playoffs because he'll have to do too much. That's why they like to bring Manu off the bench - to manage his minutes better and keep him as fresh as possible for the postseason.

FkLA
06-23-2010, 02:20 PM
Parker never averaged 0.7 assist in 34 mpg. That's the same as Matt Bonner's playoff assist average. Hill should get more assists just by accident. Overall it wasn't a good post season for him (though he did have a couple great games).

Parker is a better playmaker but he has also always been ball-dominant, so that has alot to do with it as well. Hill's ability to shoot, something Parker doesnt have in his game, allowed him to play off the ball and still contribute in the post-season. His playmaking isnt there yet but given more ballhandling duties there's no reason why he cant be in the 4 apg range, which is only an assist off of what TP hovered around for so many years early in his career including some championship years.

His post-season play was fine imo, he couldve played better in the Phoenix series...but that was pretty much a collective letdown from the whole team.

EricB
06-23-2010, 02:23 PM
Has parker ever blocked a 7 footer's shot like hill has... just sayin.... what are you talking about hill is short wtf? hill has more length than parker

Hill is a shooting guard therefore yes 6'2 is short for that position....

FkLA
06-23-2010, 02:26 PM
Hill is a shooting guard therefore yes 6'2 is short for that position....

to quote Sean Elliott-- "you dont block shots or shoot with your head"
wingspan > height

but this point is moot since Hill is being molded into a PG regardless of what the TP loyalists say.

Mr Bones
06-23-2010, 02:29 PM
I guess my main angle on this question is that the PG position is generally overrated. Deron Williams, Chris Paul, Derrick Rose, Tony Parker and many others are better by far than Derek Fisher and Jameer Nelson, who both went further into the playoffs the last two years. I just think if you look at the Spurs' record with and without Parker, there's not much of a difference. If their interior D improves with Splitter + another part and their perimeter D and 3 pt shooting improve, I think they contend for one more title with Duncan. If they come back with the Big 3, Jefferson, McDyess, Splitter, and the 20th pick they are a very good team that probably loses in the second round of the playoffs. Hill can't be traded for game-changers, due to both his level of talent and his inexpensive contract. Parker can. That's the only reason I think a Parker trade should be explored.

Spurs Brazil
06-23-2010, 02:47 PM
Trade Parker would be a huge mistake

TMTTRIO
06-23-2010, 02:56 PM

To be fair, even Manu was pretty angry at first for a while of having to come off the bench for Hedo and knowing that it may affect his Free Agency and the deal that he got that summer.

Vic Petro
06-23-2010, 03:01 PM
To be fair, even Manu was pretty angry at first for a while of having to come off the bench for Hedo and knowing that it may affect his Free Agency and the deal that he got that summer.

I recall the nation of Argentina being angry, but don't remember anything coming directly from Manu or his agent.

rjv
06-23-2010, 03:24 PM
ah, the old "confidants" source. very credible indeed.

ploto
06-23-2010, 03:43 PM
Manu will likely be going back to the bench so that they can continue managing his minutes - so Parker will be back in the starting lineup anyway.

Unless Spurs want to showcase Jefferson and start Manu with him.

4down
06-23-2010, 05:26 PM
Say it ain't so, Manu Jr.!!!

PDXSpursFan
06-23-2010, 05:37 PM
Parker should start and also Manu.

DPG21920
06-23-2010, 05:42 PM
LOL at some of these arguments. Whether or not TP gets traded, or the reasons behind it, saying TP should get traded because we have Hill is unquestionably stupid.

Parker2112
06-23-2010, 06:07 PM
Obviously Parker declined. He went from an All-NBA season to one where he couldn't get healthy.

I just don't think that they will start a Manu-Hill backcourt all year. It will wear down Manu by the playoffs because he'll have to do too much. That's why they like to bring Manu off the bench - to manage his minutes better and keep him as fresh as possible for the postseason.

This argument, that Manu will wear down, is complete and utter fail. If Manu gets most of his minutes at 1 and lets George play 2, we could actually have Manu the playmaker on the floor more, doing less, while simultaneously extending his career. We dont lose the slashing ability of TP, we get more shooters on the floor, and our defense is immediately upgraded.

senorglory
06-23-2010, 06:11 PM

Tony has stated previously that he considers himself one of the top 5 defensive point guards in the league.

Parker2112
We would definitely need a strong consistent backup PG if TP is gone though.

Killakobe81
Hill CAN play the point but needs to be in the triangle!!!!

We can give you Farmar (poor man's Parker) AND Sasha the manu stopper for Hill!!! LOL

I will take his suspect defense on my team ...

Hill
Kobe
Artest
Pau
Bynum

Id take that lineup all day everyday ...

Bench: Odom, Brown, Fish, filler, filler, filler

Parker2112
Tony has stated previously that he considers himself one of the top 5 defensive point guards in the league.

He also said Rondo was overrated. That was BS too.

mingus
06-23-2010, 06:15 PM
i'm hoping they move RJ to the bench next year. they can still limit Manu's minutes if he starts. i just think the RJ/Parker combination sucks and don't see a reason why they should play together. unless RJ comes back a way better 3-point shooter, it is a doomed combo. hopefully the Spurs draft or attain a sf that can shoot and spread the floor alongside TP and Manu.

silverblk mystix
06-23-2010, 06:16 PM
If anyone should be traded, I say it should be hill for one of the top ten picks in the draft.

PG should be TP with Temple as the backup.

Having said that, would any team in the top ten be willing to-or in need of Hill?

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-23-2010, 06:17 PM
I'd want a trade too because it would be proof positive that someone coaching on the Spurs bench has lost some marbles, and who wants to be coached by a crazy man.

TDMVPDPOY
06-23-2010, 06:19 PM
just trade him and get this over and done with, tired of this nonsense

Parker2112
06-23-2010, 06:53 PM
This argument, that Manu will wear down, is complete and utter fail. If Manu gets most of his minutes at 1 and lets George play 2, we could actually have Manu the playmaker on the floor more, doing less, while simultaneously extending his career. We dont lose the slashing ability of TP, we get more shooters on the floor, and our defense is immediately upgraded.

Oh, and I forgot...With Manu at the PG, we will have added length to defend bigger teams. With Tiago, we will actually be able to put a long squad on the court.

G-Dawgg
06-23-2010, 09:19 PM
Hill is way better than Parker on defense. When we played Los Angeles, he did well shadowing Kobe Bryant. If Parker ever guarded Kobe, he'd get raped like he was from Colorado.....

Don't get me wrong i like Parker, he was a big part of our championship teams but the Spurs are greater than one player and if they need to trade Parker in order to stay competetive AND invest in the future, then I guess it's a sacrifice that the organization needs to make.

Tp9gospursgo
06-23-2010, 09:40 PM
I highly doubt TP said this..it could be true but i'm betting he didn't. Tp isnt playing with the national team this year cause he obviously thinks the Spurs have at least one more good run in them. He was benched in the playoffs why would he care in the reg season?

Ice009
06-23-2010, 09:53 PM

Hill got his ASS lit up. What were you watching????? Almost every decent PG lit him up. I was actually really disappointed with George's defense this season after he showed some great stuff last season and even earlier this season.

Around Game 3 against the Mavs I wanted TP to start again.

I also just want to add that have you even watched TP in the playoffs in Championship seasons or any other season he was not injured or coming off an injury? His D have been very, very good, a lot better than what Hill showed in the playoffs this season.

Cane
06-23-2010, 09:53 PM
Tp isnt playing with the national team this year cause he obviously thinks the Spurs have at least one more good run in them. He was benched in the playoffs why would he care in the reg season?

Solid point but for argument's sake Parker might care since its a contract year. He could also have passed on the NT to prepare for the contract year in addition to maximizing the Spurs.

Ice009
06-23-2010, 10:01 PM

So if TP is traded you don't think any move we make can give us a better shot at the Championship? No way do I want any sort of trade like this unless it helps the Spurs compete for a Championship better.

Tp9gospursgo
06-23-2010, 10:03 PM
Solid point but for argument's sake Parker might care since its a contract year. He could also have passed on the NT to prepare for the contract year in addition to maximizing the Spurs.

Very good point. It would just be weird to see Parker in any other uniform than the Spurs..:depressed

TD 21
06-23-2010, 10:24 PM
Barring a no-brainer offer, I'm not in favor of a Parker trade. The Spurs would be foolish to let him go, as he's their only true PG and gives them their best chance (considering what they'd likely get back) to win a fifth championship, which is their supposed goal.

They'd be equally foolish to pull a Pistons and overrate their young talent. The Pistons did this just because they, like the Spurs, hadn't had a good young player in a while, so when they got Stuckey they got carried away with him. The Pistons thought he could play PG full time (even though it was obvious that he was more of an SG) and thought he could be the cornerstone of their (at the time) reload and now, rebuild. They were wrong on all accounts. To make matters worse, they parted with Billups in the process, their lone true PG, best player on their team and their leader. Billups has since proven he's had quite a bit left in the tank and the Pistons have gotten progressively worse since the trade.

Other than the best player/leader part, there's a lot of similarities between the two situations. Hopefully, the Spurs don't make the same mistake as the Pistons. Don't get me wrong, I like Hill, but he's not a true PG and is probably best served being a sixth man, similar to Gordon/Terry/Crawford.

Gagnrath
06-23-2010, 10:58 PM
I just don't see trading Euither hill or Parker,

Its mostly about a 12 man roster you need at least 4 guards on that and prefer 5. Spurs have Parker, Hill, Manu, Temple. Parker is a PG first, can't guard most SG's doesn't have the jumptshot to really play on offense. Manu, can play either fairly well and has the ability to play some SF against smaller SF. Hill naturally a SG mentally on offense, a little bit raw with his handles and floor generalship to play full time pg but capable of being a decent back-up and playing significant minutes there has some problems with larger SG, and some of the better points also give him trouble but good at stopping most 1's and 2
s. Temple still a bit rough .mentally a pg but at 6-6 a sg body can guard either has some trouble with the fastest pg, I see plenty of playing time to go around no real issues there. you can't have tony and hill on the floor at the same time due to height against some teams and I'd be hesitant to have temple and hill on the floor for huge time during big games.other than that any combo on the floor at any time seems fine.

Josepatches_
06-24-2010, 03:54 AM
Manu didn't start all these years and he didn't want to go.Of course Manu was better than Finley,Mason,Hill.....all them together.

If Hill starts it will be because Pop wants TP off the bench like he did with Manu.Tony has to accept it.If he can't do it then it's better to trade his ass.

lurker23
06-24-2010, 04:23 AM

The problem with this idea is that Manu only has one gear, and that gear is all-out overdrive. Manu playing 35 minutes at the 1 is the same as Manu playing 35 minutes at the 2/3, and is ultimately unsustainable.

ploto
06-24-2010, 07:17 AM
I assumed both would start-- Parker and Hill. Rotate Hill out when Manu comes in, give him a rest, and bring him back in when Tony comes out.

If the Spurs trade Parker, I still think it is because his contract expectations for next summer are so much greater than the Spurs will pay.

Sissiborgo
06-24-2010, 08:44 AM
Hill is young! Parker is getting old and Hill has been playing much better than Parker so we should trade parker for the salary cap and sign a good SF if RJ leaves.

lebomb
06-24-2010, 10:33 AM
Hill is young! Parker is getting old and Hill has been playing much better than Parker so we should trade parker for the salary cap and sign a good SF if RJ leaves.

28 is old? I guess a 35yr old Kidd and a 34yr old Nash are ancient. :lmao

28 is prime. If anything Hill is still too young to take over the reigns. Starting 20 games in lieu of an injured starter, doesnt make one an all star. Tony is still better than Hill at this point. In 5yrs? Maybe not. :flag:

rascal
06-24-2010, 11:28 AM

Manu doesn't mind coming off the bench and playing limited minutes. That is the difference.

FkLA
06-24-2010, 11:32 AM
Other than the best player/leader part, there's a lot of similarities between the two situations. Hopefully, the Spurs don't make the same mistake as the Pistons. Don't get me wrong, I like Hill, but he's not a true PG and is probably best served being a sixth man, similar to Gordon/Terry/Crawford.

Or the part about Stuckey being a scorer while Chauncey was a floor general, whereas Parker is far from being a general. Or that Hill brings alot more to the table than Stuckey. But youre right other than that the best player, floor general, quality of the young talent, and leader part the scenarios are the same. :rolleyes

Agloco
06-24-2010, 11:44 AM

:rolleyes

Agreed. Your argument is complete and utter fail.

The problem with this idea is that Manu only has one gear, and that gear is all-out overdrive. Manu playing 35 minutes at the 1 is the same as Manu playing 35 minutes at the 2/3, and is ultimately unsustainable.

This. lol @ people who want Manu on the floor for extended minutes. He's a liability at the end of the season if you do that.

TimDunkem
06-24-2010, 11:48 AM
^ lol No shit.

Let's have Manu be our main ball-handler all season long so defenses can put pressure on him all game. He can then swap positions with Hill and play the 2!

That'll surely prolong his career! Championship!

Ginobilly
06-24-2010, 11:57 AM
Don't worry people, Parker is not going anywhere. Pop is just pulling a "Phil Jackson" on Parker through the media in order to get his head straight and motivate him for the upcoming season. It's no secret that the Spurs FO hasn't been to happy with Parkers off season decisions last year. I have a feeling that Pop is going to stick with the same starting lineup of Hill, Manu, Jefferson, Duncan, and I could see Splitter eventually starting if they get him. If Parker starts bitching halfway through the season about it, the Spurs will trade him. Manu has raised the bar too high on being a real team player in the NBA. The Spurs expect him to do the same. If not, ship his ass out!

FkLA
06-24-2010, 12:02 PM
Yeah because Parker would be traded for a bag of peanuts...

Hill should improve over the summer, hopefully RJ can have a better 2nd year ala Brent Barry, Timmy will still be formidable, Tiago should bring different things to the table, Blair should make strides. Add those things to the fact that the player in return should be a quality player and there's no reason why Manu would have to shoulder an offensive load he cant handle next year.

nbaman99
06-24-2010, 06:03 PM
Keep parker and keep hill.

NewJerSpur
06-24-2010, 06:07 PM
I'm cool myself with Hill starting......alongside Tony at the 2.

JustinJDW
06-24-2010, 08:53 PM
Paker and Hill are both probably going to start together anyway, and Ginobili will probably start coming off the Bench again, so I don't know what everyone is bitching about.