PDA

View Full Version : Parker unsure if Spurs will keep him

IceColdBrewski
06-23-2010, 05:49 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ys-parkerspurs062310

.NEW YORK – Tony Parker(notes) has split the majority of his offseason between Los Angeles and New York. During the short time he spent in San Antonio, he kept hearing the same question:

Are you staying?

His response: I’m the wrong guy to ask.

More than a few rival team executives think the San Antonio Spurs are open to trading their point guard for the right deal. For now, Parker, who will be a free agent at the end of next season, doesn’t have many answers about his future.

“Everybody keeps telling me, ‘Don’t go, don’t leave,’ ” Parker told Yahoo! Sports on Wednesday while preparing to play in Steve Nash’s(notes) charity soccer game. “I’m like, ‘It’s not in my hands.’ I don’t decide. I have one more year on my contract, so we’ll see what happens. Obviously because I have one year on my contract I will be in all the rumors. That’s normal.

“Hopefully, I will stay in San Antonio. If not, it’s a business.”

Parker averaged 16 points and 5.7 assists last season while being limited to 56 games because of ankle and hand injuries. Second-year guard George Hill(notes) took over in Parker’s absence and started all but the last two playoff games.

Parker will make $13.5 million in the final year of his contract next season. He said he has not discussed a contract extension with the Spurs, but expects his agent Steve Heumann to talk to team officials in July.

Parker’s preference would be to re-sign with the Spurs and stay in San Antonio, which he considers his “home base.”

“I’m not nervous at all,” Parker said. “I’ve had great years in San Antonio, so we’ll see what happens. Whatever San Antonio does, I’ll understand. It’s a business.

“I wish I can stay in San Antonio, but it’s not in my hands.”

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-23-2010, 05:52 PM
George Hill is not starting point guard quality for a championship contender. You trade Hill ten times 'til Tuesday before you trade Tony Parker unless there is a damn good replacement in the wings...and that replacement is not George Hill. Hill is a good 7th man for a quality team.

Parker leaves and this next season everyone will lament how the team is so close to being a championship contender except for the glaring hole at the 1 spot.

Spursfan092120
06-23-2010, 05:52 PM
Only trade I would be willing to do for Parker that is up in the air is Devin Harris and the 3 pick. Other than that, it's not worth it.

Spurs Brazil
06-23-2010, 05:58 PM
George Hill is not starting point guard quality for a championship contender. You trade Hill ten times 'til Tuesday before you trade Tony Parker unless there is a damn good replacement in the wings...and that replacement is not George Hill. Hill is a good 7th man for a quality team.

Parker leaves and this next season everyone will lament how the team is so close to being a championship contender except for the glaring hole at the 1 spot.

Agree 100%, trade Parker would be a big mistake. Hill starting at PG would be a waste for TD final seasons. Hill is a good option only if the big 3 is together

AnthonyM
06-23-2010, 05:59 PM
Much ado about nothing. There isn't anything really newsworthy or surprising in this article.

AnthonyM
06-23-2010, 06:02 PM

You would think most people would realize how valuable Parker is after the way the Celtics had to play 4-on-5 on offense because the Lakers weren't even guarding Rondo in the Finals.

flox
06-23-2010, 06:08 PM
Parker is being a professional.

Hope he stays.

baseline bum
06-23-2010, 06:19 PM
Only trade I would be willing to do for Parker that is up in the air is Devin Harris and the 3 pick. Other than that, it's not worth it.

I wouldn't make that trade either. Now Parker and a first round pick or two for Chris Paul is something I would do in a second, but NO would be stupid to make that deal.

AnthonyM
06-23-2010, 06:35 PM
I wouldn't make that trade either. Now Parker and a first round pick or two for Chris Paul is something I would do in a second, but NO would be stupid to make that deal.

Yeah, while that trade scenario (Harris) is prob the best out there...it's not saying much considering the other trade scenarios out there.

The Harris trade isn't quite enough in return for a team that wants to try to win a championship within the next couple of years. imo.

ploto
06-23-2010, 07:24 PM
Tony Parker has split the majority of his offseason between Los Angeles and New York.

DesignatedT
06-23-2010, 07:51 PM
if they trade him for garbage i will murder someone

NZ Spurs
06-23-2010, 07:52 PM

Derek Fisher/Jordan Farmer/Lamar Odom?

Wombatzu
06-23-2010, 07:57 PM
Tony Parker has split the majority of his offseason between Los Angeles and New York.

Yep.

The Keep Tony Brigade will be seriously butthurt after next season when he walks and leaves the Spurs with nothing.

J_Paco
06-23-2010, 08:03 PM
Yep.

The Keep Tony Brigade will be seriously butthurt after next season when he walks and leaves the Spurs with nothing.

But, why would someone other than San Antonio offer Tony a Max-type deal with so much uncertainty over the CBA? Unless they're unwilling to spend market value to keep Tony, which I'm sure they are, he's going to likely stay with S.A. until Timmy retires.

m33p0
06-23-2010, 08:06 PM
fuck new york and their rumormongerers!

HarlemHeat37
06-23-2010, 08:09 PM
A rich, young athlete spending his Summer in LA and New York?..fuck, somebody get Tony some help, he's clearly fucked up..

EricB
06-23-2010, 08:14 PM
It's 80s all summer in la while it's 100 almost in sa. Yeah I can see how that's a stupid decision....

slick'81
06-23-2010, 08:15 PM
if they trade him for garbage i will murder someone

+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 0000000000000000000000000000000000000000

cd98
06-23-2010, 08:21 PM
Yep.

If Parker leaves next year it will be in a sign and trade. No team is going to offer more than SA will pay absent a S & T. But the offers will be better this year.

hater
06-23-2010, 08:24 PM
I'm fucking sick of this Parker drama. Haven't seen this much drama since Mexicans were attacking the Alamo.

trade his ass!!!!

E-RockWill
06-23-2010, 09:40 PM
Are you staying?

His response: I’m the wrong guy to ask.

“I wish I can stay in San Antonio, but it’s not in my hands.”

:wow....not....

Starts & ends the same way. Smart answers & in typical Tony style. IMO, he said nothing that can lead you to conclusions either way.

jag
06-23-2010, 09:51 PM
Tony hanging out in NY and LA during the offseason makes me question his intentions. If those were more common travel destinations then i would understand, but i'm beginning to think something is afoot.

DPG21920
06-23-2010, 10:25 PM
Tony hanging out in NY and LA during the offseason makes me question his intentions. If those were more common travel destinations then i would understand, but i'm beginning to think something is afoot.

Shouldn't this be in blue?

jag
06-23-2010, 10:50 PM
Shouldn't this be in blue?

Ha i guess i missed the memo? But if someone can't grasp sarcasm without color coding then im probably ok with them taking my comment at face value.

ducks
06-23-2010, 10:51 PM

wife in la on job

DesignatedT
06-23-2010, 10:58 PM

Eva owns a house and works out of LA.... why wouldn't he be spending time with his wife? Not sure about the New York situation but he has been out there doing camps and charity events if that's what they are talking about... they didn't necessarily say he was vacationing in LA or NY....

DPG21920
06-23-2010, 11:03 PM
Ha i guess i missed the memo? But if someone can't grasp sarcasm without color coding then im probably ok with them taking my comment at face value.

wife in la on job

Eva owns a house and works out of LA.... why wouldn't he be spending time with his wife? Not sure about the New York situation but he has been out there doing camps and charity events if that's what they are talking about... they didn't necessarily say he was vacationing in LA or NY....

This is why we need the blue :lol