PDA

View Full Version : Nowitzki’s next move overshadows draft for Mavs

duncan228
06-23-2010, 06:40 PM
Nowitzki’s next move overshadows draft for Mavs (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=txmavericksnowitzki)
By Jaime Aron

Any day now, Dirk Nowitzki likely will join LeBron James as a former MVP on the free-agent market.

The Dallas Mavericks are confident the greatest player in franchise history isn’t going anywhere. Then again, they also thought Steve Nash was going to stay the summer he signed with Phoenix.

“I think the dynamics are different,” said Donnie Nelson, the club’s president of basketball operations. “Steve had played for Phoenix before, so it felt like home for him just like Dallas did. For Dirk, this is his only home. He’s been here his entire career. We certainly hope that has its place in the process.”

Nowitzki arrived in Dallas as a 19-year-old, and he just turned 32. Along the way, he’s turned the Mavericks from lottery mainstays to winners of at least 50 games in 10 straight seasons. But they haven’t won a title, and have won a single playoff series since blowing a 2-0 lead in the 2006 NBA finals.

Team owner Mark Cuban consistently has had one of the league’s highest payrolls in pursuit of the franchise’s first title, and every move has been made to try surrounding Nowitzki with the right complementary pieces. That has to factor into his decision, too.

“Name me one NBA team that can ensure Dirk of a championship?” Nelson said. “None, besides maybe the Lakers, can say, `We’ll get you a ring in the next three years.’ After that, we’re right there with everybody else. So for Dirk to pull up stakes, to go to a new market, to take a pay cut, to give up being in tax-free Texas and to go away from the warm weather, it just would be a big surprise.”

Nowitzki has until Wednesday - the day before the July 1 start of free agency - to “opt out” of the final year of his contract. Even if he wants to stay, he might as well become a free agent because he could re-sign with Dallas for up to four years.

The worrisome part for the Mavericks is that Nowitzki also would have the freedom to sign anywhere else. Imagine if James calls and suggests they become a package deal somewhere other than Dallas. As farfetched as that might be, no one expected Phoenix to swoop in and lure away Nash.

Money isn’t likely to be a factor for Nowitzki. He’s said many times that at this point in his career, all he cares about is a title. He’s also said winning anywhere but Dallas wouldn’t be the same because of all the hard work he’s put in here and the relationships he’s built - the kinds of things Nelson was talking about.

That’s why if Nowitzki is going to stay, it’s likely to happen quickly. Dallas then could start working on improving that supporting cast. He also could become the team’s lead recruiter, perhaps even being the one to call James and ask him to come on down to Big D.

“Come July 1, we can sit down with roses and chocolate and tell Dirk how much we love him,” Nelson said. “I know Mark is going to take really good care of him.”

Because the entire offseason hinges on Nowitzki, expect the Mavs to be cautious during the draft Thursday night.

Cuban and Nelson need to keep their best trading chips for anything from building their dream of a Nowitzki-James frontcourt to their doomsday scenario of having to replace the big German. So while they will look into moving up from a lone pick at No. 50, don’t expect any blockbuster deals.

“If there’s a player we like and think he can be an impact player for us, Mark has never hesitated to pull the trigger,” Nelson said. “But we’re not just going to jump in and throw around money.”

Dallas doesn’t have either of its original picks in this draft. The first-rounder, No. 27, went to New Jersey in 2008 as part of the trade for Jason Kidd. The second-rounder went to Indiana a few weeks ago to wrap up an ill-fated deal for Shawne Williams. The Mavs got the 50th from the Nets as part of the Kidd trade.

If they move up, it probably would be higher in the second round. If they get into the first round, it would be for a player they really like because first-rounders get three-year, guaranteed contracts.

“After you get past the middle of the lottery, it really gets love-hate fast,” Nelson said. “There’s such parity from the middle of the first round to about 40 that I think there are going to be teams disappointed that their guys aren’t there and are going to be looking to make adjustments.”

Muser
06-23-2010, 06:45 PM
I'm pretty sure a lot of teams could guarantee Dirk a ring in 3 years.

Giuseppe
06-23-2010, 07:20 PM
I still think Cuban wishes Dirk would get a deal like Nash did and go away like Nash did.

BillWalton
06-23-2010, 07:21 PM
i still think cuban wishes dirk would get a deal like nash did and go away like nash did.

throw it down big man throw it down

duhoh
06-23-2010, 07:31 PM
I'm pretty sure a lot of teams could guarantee Dirk a ring in 3 years.

ditto.
a lot of teams could easily win it all by adding dirk.

MarkCuban
06-23-2010, 07:34 PM
My DirkyDirk is going nowhere!

Nobody can suck his dick like i can!! :elephant

Cane
06-23-2010, 07:35 PM
No chance in hell it happens but Dirk would be insane paired up with Dwight Howard. One hell of a crazy 4/5 right there. Might even be enough to carry Vince Carter. :downspin:

HarlemHeat37
06-23-2010, 08:16 PM
Dirk joining Orlando would be too funny, considering pretty much all the Mavs fans here hate Dwight Howard:lol..

It would be extremely scary though..having 2 of the 3 best big men in the NBA on the same team..

Hopefully Dirk joins Lebron in NY though..

MavDynasty
06-23-2010, 08:22 PM
imo Dirk and Dwights game compliment each other perfectly. They won't clog the paint together because Dirk is perimeter oriented

dirk4mvp
06-23-2010, 08:31 PM
No chance in hell it happens but Dirk would be insane paired up with Dwight Howard. One hell of a crazy 4/5 right there. Might even be enough to carry Vince Carter. :downspin:

I don't even know if a tandem of Dirk and Howard could stop Carter from sucking so much.

ezau
06-24-2010, 07:08 AM
Love to see how Dirk and Howard will tear up the entire league for the next five years

Muser
06-24-2010, 07:39 AM
Unless he wants MLE he ain't going to Orlando.

Agloco
06-24-2010, 10:02 AM
Love to see how Dirk and Howard will tear up the entire league for the next five years

The next three at most. Dirk isn't a spring chicken.

Findog
06-24-2010, 10:12 AM
Will the Mavs make a play for Al Jefferson?

duncan228
06-24-2010, 08:32 PM
Kidd: `We all feel (Dirk) is not going anywhere’ (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-mavericks-kiddnowitzki)
By Jaime Aron

Jason Kidd wouldn’t be surprised if Dirk Nowitzki opts out of his contract with the Dallas Mavericks and becomes a free agent. That doesn’t mean he expects the former MVP to change teams.

“Sometimes, as a player, you want to feel wanted,” Kidd said Thursday. “He’s always felt wanted here. This could be some weird way of being appreciated by other teams.”

That said, Kidd added, “We all feel he is not going anywhere.”

Nowitzki has until Wednesday to tear up the last year on his contract. Doing so would enable him to sign with Dallas for one year longer than if he simply signed an extension. Of course, it also would put him on the market, at least raising the potential of a change of address for the Mavericks’ franchise leader in most key categories.

Kidd said he spoke with Nowitzki recently, having called to wish him a happy 32nd birthday last weekend. Kidd added that the conversation was purely social— no contract talk.

As for Kidd, he’s spent the offseason hanging out and playing golf in Arizona. He’s back in Dallas for a charity event and visited team headquarters hours before the draft, sporting a scruffy beard and deep tan.

He also offered to give owner Mark Cuban an assist when it comes to luring free agents.

“I’ll call whoever Cuban needs me to, or go fly to wherever he wants,” Kidd said.

sefant77
06-24-2010, 09:06 PM
I still say James. Pull the S&T with a player option after 3 years.

Best possible superstar sidekick (Dirk)
Floor leader (Kidd)
Shooter to spread the floor (Kidd, Dirk, Terry)
Strong defensive players to fill the S5 (Haywood, Marion)

Chubby_Love
06-24-2010, 09:30 PM
imo Dirk and Dwights game compliment each other perfectly. They won't clog the paint together because Dirk is perimeter oriented
So instead of creating Rap Songs for Lebron, one should be created for Dirk to go to Orlando? I'd love to hear that. :downspin: