PDA

View Full Version : USA/Algeria game and Donovan's goal impact internet traffic worldwide

jag
06-23-2010, 09:16 PM
Landon Donovan's Game-
Winning World Cup Goal May Have Set Internet Traffic Record (http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2010-06/us-algeria-world-cup-match-may-have-set-internet-traffic-record)

http://www.popsci.com/files/imagecache/article_image_large/articles/wc-akamai-spike.jpg
A Screen Grab of Akamai's Net Usage Index at Noon Web traffic spiked at news sites across the Web after the last-minute U.S. victory over Algeria in the World Cup. Traffic averaged 190% higher than usual, with Africa leading the way.

Just how breathtakingly, heart-stoppingly awesome was Landon Donovan’s 91st-minute goal in today’s win-or-go-home U.S.-Algeria World Cup game? It was definitely significant enough to temporarily overwhelm Twitter. And it just might have been the single biggest driver of Internet traffic ever.
Over at Mashable the editors were monitoring new traffic across the Web via Akamai’s Net Usage Index, a traffic meter that keeps real time tabs on how many visitors per minute are landing on more than 100 major news sites. In the minutes after Donovan’s game-clinching, elimination-defying goal during added stoppage time, Web traffic spiked to 11.2 million visitors per minute, eclipsing even the 2008 U.S. presidential election as measured by the viewers per minute metric.
The all-time news traffic record was set on the first day of World Cup play at 12 million visitors per minute, but apparently Akamai’s final numbers aren’t in yet on today’s action. That means today’s post-game spike could be the biggest ever or it could remain the second biggest traffic uptick in history. But it also means that as the World Cup moves into more and more meaningful games, we may see the record eclipsed again and again. Somebody better tell the IT guys over Yahoo to cancel their weekend plans.

-------------------------------------------------

I found this pretty interesting. I wonder if this has more to do with this World cup in general, or growing worldwide interest in the USMNT.

MannyIsGod
06-23-2010, 09:18 PM
Yes but what did Lawrence Taylor do to the Internet?

Nah, this is pretty awesome. I know that I was all over the place after the game on the net.

MannyIsGod
06-23-2010, 09:19 PM
Yes but what did Lawrence Taylor do to the Internet?

Nah, this is pretty awesome. I know that I was all over the place after the game on the net.

jag
06-23-2010, 09:27 PM
LT needs to step up his game if he expects to stay in the limelight. There are far too many high school kids in NY in need of a few extra dollars for him to give up now.

MaNuMaNiAc
06-23-2010, 09:53 PM
Seriously now, I think the whole "what's the most popular sport in the world?" debate is pretty over, don't you think? A US vs Algeria first round game set internet records :lol

resistanze
06-23-2010, 09:55 PM
Seriously now, I think the whole "what's the most popular sport in the world?" debate is pretty over, don't you think? A US vs Algeria first round game set internet records :lol
They were all simply amazed how boring soccer was.

MaNuMaNiAc
06-23-2010, 09:57 PM
:lmao yeah, soccer isn't popular in the states at all

Cry Havoc
06-23-2010, 10:01 PM

Has there ever been a real debate about that?

MaNuMaNiAc
06-23-2010, 10:04 PM
Has there ever been a real debate about that?

You'd be surprised

LoneStarState'sPride
06-23-2010, 10:07 PM
They were all simply amazed how boring soccer was.

Nah, we just like Hollywood-finishes lol

And in all seriousness, even the most boorish American typically concedes that soccer is more popular worldwide--we just tend to like our sports better.

Times are a-changin' tho........slowly but surely.

The_Worlds_finest
06-23-2010, 10:09 PM
One of my friends has gone from soccer sucks to I watched that goal tens times over and over and had to hold back a tear

lefty
06-23-2010, 10:17 PM
One of my friends has gone from soccer sucks to I watched that goal tens times over and over and had to hold back a tear
I cried :lol

:depressed

LoneStarState'sPride
06-23-2010, 10:26 PM
Not ashamed to admit, I teared up too. Wouldn't be the first time for me regarding sports by a long shot, either lol. It's sport--if you're not emotionally invested, wtf are you watching for?

urunobili
06-23-2010, 11:09 PM
zenpkvwxnPs

lefty
06-23-2010, 11:12 PM
zenpkvwxnPs
Shit :lol

Losing that smile 4,3,2....

urunobili
06-23-2010, 11:12 PM
9kVaa3w0PqA&

lefty
06-23-2010, 11:13 PM
Donovan = Captain America

Edward
06-23-2010, 11:18 PM
:lmao yeah, soccer isn't popular in the states at all

It isn't, and for the common fan (me) who doesn't watch much soccer outside the world cup, it's popularity would have plummeted if USA got eliminated because two different games of theirs were stolen by refs.

urunobili
06-23-2010, 11:19 PM
cYVIP_DQ2gI&

lefty
06-23-2010, 11:23 PM
This thread has the potential of reaching 100 pages, thanks to Urunobili posting all the U.S fans videos

4>0rings
06-23-2010, 11:25 PM
cYVIP_DQ2gI&Damn that fresh pint of Guiness looks tasty!
:jekka

urunobili
06-23-2010, 11:25 PM
4qfzlTTvPB0

MaNuMaNiAc
06-23-2010, 11:27 PM
It isn't, and for the common fan (me) who doesn't watch much soccer outside the world cup, it's popularity would have plummeted if USA got eliminated because two different games of theirs were stolen by refs.

yeah, jackass casual fans tend to have an excuse all ready just in case they don't make it...

lefty
06-23-2010, 11:28 PM
This just in: Youtube to sue Spurstalk thanks to Urunobili

urunobili
06-23-2010, 11:30 PM
This just in: Youtube to sue Spurstalk thanks to Urunobili

hey it's not against you it's just that I'm stunned by the celebration of a "Supposedly" not big on soccer nation... we're all witness lefty :toast

lefty
06-23-2010, 11:36 PM
hey it's not against you it's just that I'm stunned by the celebration of a "Supposedly" not big on soccer nation... we're all witness lefty :toast
:toast

I know its not against me

Its actually great to watch their reaction, because their team was seconds away from going home, and they finished 1st

ginobili's bald spot
06-25-2010, 03:51 AM
I'm stunned by the celebration of a "Supposedly" not big on soccer nation

I'm not sure why you think it's some kind of conspiracy to say that soccer isn't that popular here. It's not. Those videos show that there are people here who like soccer. Saying that soccer isn't popular in the US doesn't mean that no one in the U.S. likes soccer. Do you see why? I recommend you take a logic course at your local university. It may help you in these type of situations.

That being said, the relative success and publicity that the team is getting this year is definitely helping the popularity of the sport. A lot of people who don't know anything about soccer and don't normally watch it are tuning in. They may start to watch for mostly nationalistic reasons but if the US is successful it might help get a lot of people hooked and slowly become permanent fans.

urunobili
06-25-2010, 08:31 AM
I'm not sure why you think it's some kind of conspiracy to say that soccer isn't that popular here.

I recommend you take a logic course at your local university. It may help you in these type of situations.

I think you're the one that needs to take a class on reading comprehension since I said "supposedly not big on soccer" where in the fuck can you interpret that I said there was a conspiracy? jeez do they finish HS in LA?

Those videos show that there are people here who like soccer. Saying that soccer isn't popular in the US doesn't mean that no one in the U.S. likes soccer. Do you see why?

Those videos show a level of passion for the sport new to the country. Suck it up. You live in LA where latinos may blur your vision nation wide. You have ZERO clue of what I know about the development of the Sport in the US so STFU and don't underestimate that... we clear homie?

That being said, the relative success and publicity that the team is getting this year is definitely helping the popularity of the sport. A lot of people who don't know anything about soccer and don't normally watch it are tuning in. They may start to watch for mostly nationalistic reasons but if the US is successful it might help get a lot of people hooked and slowly become permanent fans.
lol not even in 1994 American media payed this much attention... you probably were 2 years old then so I don't blame you...

so go back and check your tude' your sounding as If the US have always had a HUGE fan base which is not true... :wakeup

ginobili's bald spot
06-25-2010, 11:47 PM
so go back and check your tude' your sounding as If the US have always had a HUGE fan base which is not true... :wakeup

The fuck? Do you even speak English? I said soccer is NOT popular here you fucking retard. And your response to me is to tell me that I said the US has always had a huge fan base? I really fear for humanity when I encounter people as dumb as you.

Goran Dragic
06-26-2010, 12:22 AM
The fuck? Do you even speak English? I said soccer is NOT popular here you fucking retard. And your response to me is to tell me that I said the US has always had a huge fan base? I really fear for humanity when I encounter people as dumb as you.

Idk why you'd expect logic from Nazi lovers

Goran Dragic
06-26-2010, 12:23 AM
yeah, jackass casual fans tend to have an excuse all ready just in case they don't make it...

Kinda like how Manufan pulls the injury excuse everytime he plays like shit.....unfortunately there's no possible excuse you can come up with for Nazi sympathizing.

urunobili
06-26-2010, 08:28 AM

did you finish High School?

Goran Dragic
06-26-2010, 09:05 AM
did you finish High School?

How was Hitler youth growing up?

urunobili
06-26-2010, 09:35 AM
How was Hitler youth growing up?

Great actually! He published photos of your father fucking him bareback on a gay orgy :tu

DAF86
06-26-2010, 12:20 PM
Weird, I thought I was in the "Other sports" forum.

lefty
06-26-2010, 04:03 PM
Traffic cleared