PDA

View Full Version : Forget this draft!

lotr1trekkie
06-24-2010, 10:11 AM
1] Sign Splitter to the entire MLE. Without him we might as well blowup the ship.
2] Romain Sato. LLE. Better than any rookie
3] Draft a Euro big as backup for Splitter at #20
4] Nobody we get at #20 is going to be better than Jefferson. Not this year and we have a small window to maximize Tim's abilities. If Jefferson can't improve his performance then he is trade material at the dealline
5] If # 3 doesn't work then sign Shaq to a minimal contract. Kobe's got 5 now and Shaq can't stand that even if he's worth over a 200 million+.

IMO, if the Spurs don't go for it this season it's time to dismantle the team. Tim has ALWAYS been on a team that had a shot. Take that away and who knows if he will even fulfill his contract. He does not seem to me a man who would go out and kill his knees for a 41 and 41 team.

Spurs fanatics: We have had a great run with David and Timmy. Time to fish or cut bait.

EricB
06-24-2010, 10:15 AM
:lol @ the stiff romain sato..

Leetonidas
06-24-2010, 10:17 AM
Wow. Another shitty thread. And from an original ST member? Tisk, tisk...

bobby4germany
06-24-2010, 10:17 AM
So are we forgetting this draft or drafting a big man from Europe? I'm confused!

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-24-2010, 10:22 AM
Sato thread!

nkdlunch
06-24-2010, 10:24 AM
Sato? r u serious????

lebomb
06-24-2010, 10:26 AM
This thread is a complete failure. How does anyone know if our #20 will be worse than Jefferson? He only avg. 12 lousy points a game!!! :lmao

Also the Sato comment is crazy, as well as getting a Euro big man. Especially when there are tons of US born 6-10 to 7ft in this years draft. :rolleyes

Duncanoypi
06-24-2010, 10:27 AM
Can we take his spur back?

EricB
06-24-2010, 10:36 AM
Well when it comes to big men you choose the best available disregard nationality.

lotr1trekkie
06-24-2010, 10:51 AM
Thanks fans! The question is---Can anyone[we can draft] improve us beyond the Lakers?
I appeciate disagreement. The # 20 pick has no chance of starting as a rookie. The Spurs need immediate improvement at the size end. Sato is a stretch. Miller is a dream. Instead of just dumping, what is your solution short of drafting a college player who will need 2 years to get up to Pop's standards?

disciple
06-24-2010, 10:55 AM
1] Sign Splitter to the entire MLE. Without him we might as well blowup the ship.
2] Romain Sato. LLE. Better than any rookie
3] Draft a Euro big as backup for Splitter at #20
4] Nobody we get at #20 is going to be better than Jefferson. Not this year and we have a small window to maximize Tim's abilities. If Jefferson can't improve his performance then he is trade material at the dealline
5] If # 3 doesn't work then sign Shaq to a minimal contract. Kobe's got 5 now and Shaq can't stand that even if he's worth over a 200 million+.

IMO, if the Spurs don't go for it this season it's time to dismantle the team. Tim has ALWAYS been on a team that had a shot. Take that away and who knows if he will even fulfill his contract. He does not seem to me a man who would go out and kill his knees for a 41 and 41 team.

Spurs fanatics: We have had a great run with David and Timmy. Time to fish or cut bait.

Spurs are through drafting foreign players on the first round unless they are a sure thing to accept the NBA salary restriction.

SenorSpur
06-24-2010, 11:07 AM
For the life of me, I can't understand why Romain Sato's name keeps getting resurrected. What's next? Markota? Sandkize? Javtokas? Karaulov?

Blackjack
06-24-2010, 11:34 AM
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:sPCXNdXt9C8HBM:http://msp273.photobucket.com/albums/jj222/X___Nemesis/VatosLocos.jpg

SaTo LoCoS

4eVa

TimmehC
06-24-2010, 11:38 AM
For the life of me, I can't understand why Romain Sato's name keeps getting resurrected. What's next? Markota? Sandkize? Javtokas? Karaulov?

James Gist! Marcus Williams!

Kori Ellis
06-24-2010, 11:38 AM
For the life of me, I can't understand why Romain Sato's name keeps getting resurrected.

Me either :lol I know that he's played well elsewhere. But he's still just a 6'2 guy with long arms, right? Don't the Spurs have that in Hill?

What do people think he can bring to the table? (Honest question - I haven't watched him.)

TDMVPDPOY
06-24-2010, 11:42 AM
Me either :lol I know that he's played well elsewhere. But he's still just a 6'2 guy with long arms, right? Don't the Spurs have that in Hill?

What do people think he can bring to the table? (Honest question - I haven't watched him.)

size matters just take a look at hills 3rd leg

TimDunkem
06-24-2010, 11:43 AM
Actually, he's 6'3 with knuckle-dragging arm length, but if he left Italy for whatever reason most people think he'd be able to fill the "centerpiece" role. He'd be a clear upgrade over Bogans.

That being said; He's more than likely NOT coming back to the NBA.

rayray2k8
06-24-2010, 11:46 AM
Actually, the spurs might trade down or out of the draft if they don't like anyone. They're limited on their salary cap anyway.

lotr1trekkie
06-24-2010, 01:53 PM
Forget Sato! The Spurs will not be improved by any 20th pick. What rookie is going to give us Jefferson's numbers? The much soughr after Batum didn't average that. Temple,Hariston, Gee as a combine. Give me a break. At 49th the Spurs should draft Dante Ginobili. Next year Nicolas. What I see in this draft is a bunch of talented underclassmen who aren't NBA ready except for 1 and 2. Even those two need to play for teams that won less than 20 games. The Lakers are the target. There are no Blake Griffin's or Durant's in this draft Finally, how did Kentucky not win a championship with possibly 5 #1 draftpick?
6+ hours to go. Go Spurs!!!!

SenorSpur
06-24-2010, 03:31 PM
Were the Spurs improved by drafting Dejuan Blair, who slid all the way down to pick #37 of the second round? How'd that turn out? Do you think some GMs would like to rewind the tape on that draft?

Do you think Memphis would like a "do-over" on their highly-questionable selection of Haseem Thabeet, in last year's NBA draft? That pick was made even more incredibly stupid, when you consider the fact that Thabeet was considered a project by practically everyone who scouted him. Adding insult to injury, rookie of the year winner, Tyreke Evans , a UMemphis alum, was sitting there all along.

Look, the fact is the draft, and any draft for that matter, is one big crap-shoot. No one knows or can adequately predict how any of these guys will pan out - that includes John Wall. The potential success of some players is more evident, simply because of sheer talent level. However, there ARE no guarantees.

Still, it's that mystery, the gamble if you will, that makes the process fun for us "armchair" GMs. It's also what causes "real-life" GMs to lose their jobs - along with their lunch.

"Death and bad karma to Pritchard and the Blazers"

benefactor
06-24-2010, 03:33 PM
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:sPCXNdXt9C8HBM:http://msp273.photobucket.com/albums/jj222/X___Nemesis/VatosLocos.jpg

SaTo LoCoS

4eVa
:tu

benefactor
06-24-2010, 03:37 PM

I'm lazy so I will repost what I wrote in the Sato thread.

That said, I think he could start at SG for the Spurs. I'm one of those that is not really in love with Hill starting. People that are enamored with Hill tend to forget how inconsistent he was last year. There were many times against better competition he was a no show. If these types of situations happen again, it means the Spurs have to go with a young player or have Manu play extra minutes. I'm far from in love with either of those options. I think Hill has a far better chance of succeeding if he plays with Manu on the second unit.

Sato's quite a bit bigger than Hill so if he is good as advertised defensively, then he could be a good fit on the perimeter in the starting linuep. Splitter coming over also changes the dynamic of the starting offense a bit. The Spurs will have three legit scoring options on the starting five...Parker, Duncan and Splitter. The rest of the starting unit should be expected to do two things well; shoot and defend. From what I've seen and heard from those whose opinions I respect, Sato has no problem doing either of these.

First off, I do NOT want Sato coming in as the primary backup SF. I would rather use the draft to fill that role or see Hairston get minutes. I see him replacing Roger Mason Jr. at SG and playing a few minutes here and there at SF when the lineups allow it(a smaller opposing SF and three guard lineups). Manu should not be playing more than 25 mpg during the regular season from here on out and Hill should take all the backup point minutes and some minutes at SG. With Tony at 33 min, Hill at 25-28, and Manu around or a little less than 25 that will leave around 17-20 mpg for Sato(this includes 5-7 minutes at SF per the circumstances above).

Speaking of minutes, I do stand by what I said above...though Blackjack makes a good point in that Sato could have said it with the understanding that he will have to earn them. Whatever the case, I think if he really wanted to come and the Spurs really wanted him an understanding could be reached. Sato has said himself that San Antonio is one of his two favorite cities(Siena being the other) and that Tim Duncan is one of his favorite players, so that's a pretty good start.

The linchpin in all of this is that the Spurs need quality depth...and they need it as cheap as possible. If Sato will agree to come at less than the LLE I don't see where the issue lies. TBQH, I'd be surprised if the Spurs didn't at least gauge interest since they drafted him and he has developed into a really good player in Europe. This has been the Spurs MO for what, the past decade?

Blackjack
06-24-2010, 03:38 PM
I'm so lazy I couldn't even bring myself to repost what I wrote in the Sato thread. :downspin:

benefactor
06-24-2010, 03:40 PM
lol...I almost didn't do it either.

Blackjack
06-24-2010, 03:41 PM
ROMAIN SATO!!! :elephant

Cane
06-24-2010, 03:43 PM
I thought Sato was in talks of getting a $5.5 million deal, 2 year deal anyway? Seems out of reach without even going into the undersized argument.

You guys are loco. :hat

urunobili
06-24-2010, 03:44 PM
"Death and bad karma to Pritchard and the Blazers"

:worthy:

benefactor
06-24-2010, 03:47 PM
I thought Sato was in talks of getting a $5.5 million deal, 2 year deal anyway? Seems out of reach without even going into the undersized argument.

You guys are loco. :hat
That's what Siena has offered him, but he has yet to take it and probably won't make a decision either way until free agency gets rolling. No one really knows how bad he wants to come back to the NBA, so money may or may not be the deciding issue.

UnWantedTheory
06-24-2010, 03:51 PM
I want a salad now!