PDA

View Full Version : Keith Jardine Has Been Cut

dbreiden83080
06-24-2010, 03:15 PM
"After five years, 13 fights and four straight losses, Keith Jardine's tenure with the UFC is over.

UFC President Dana White confirmed to MMA Fighting that the company has cut ties with the Ultimate Fighter season two alumni after his recent majority decision loss to Matt Hamill at last Saturday's TUF 11 finale.

"It sucks," White said. "I have nothing but respect for him and I hope to see him back soon."

Jardine -- nicknamed "The Dean of Mean -- first gained national attention in 2005 while on TUF, where he was eliminated from the competition by future friend and training partner Rashad Evans. He started his official UFC tenure with wins in four of his first five fights, including a TKO win over future champion Forrest Griffin at UFC 66. That win was expected to rocket him into contender status in the light-heavyweight division, but a shocking upset derailed his forward momentum.

Share At UFC 71, he'd been scheduled to face David Heath, but after Heath was moved into a different match, Jardine was paired with little-known Houston Alexander. At the time, Jardine was a huge favorite, but Alexander knocked him out in just 48 seconds. That began a see-saw stretch in which he struggled to find the consistency he needed to establish himself as a true championship contender.

After seemingly bouncing back with a split-decision win over Chuck Liddell, Jardine was ranked by some sites among the top ten light-heavyweights in the world, but in his next bout, he was knocked out by Wanderlei Silva. After another split-decision win, this time over Brandon Vera, Jardine dropped four straight, losing to Quinton "Rampage" Jackson, Thiago Silva, Ryan Bader and finally, Hamill.

Prior to his final bout, Jardine was aware his job could be on the line, but he couldn't hold off Hamill in a closely fought match.

The 34-year-old Jardine (15-8-1 overall) finished his UFC run with a 6-7 mark"

http://www.mmafighting.com/2010/06/24/longtime-ufc-fighter-keith-jardine-cut-after-recent-loss/

Pay some respect to Keith here. Dude had a heck of a UFC career. Got a lot of respect for him fighiting all the best guys at 205 since he came off TUF. Highlight of his career had to be the decision win over Chuck..

Good Luck Keith..

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1084/1430548549_c7e80d6235.jpg

Stringer_Bell
06-25-2010, 05:15 AM
He definitely tried his best and gave it his all as his UFC career was winding down. Dana said he could be back, which I assume means if Jardine scores some good victories somewhere else he can return. If not, I'll remember him as a tough fighter that derailed some careers just as his was derailed...a real gate keeper that was good enough to beat almost anyone but not good enough to launch himself to the next level.

desflood
06-25-2010, 09:52 AM
Predictable, but still a bummer.

angelbelow
06-26-2010, 11:15 PM
good luck to him. not sure why he fell off so hard (maybe work ethic?) but thats too bad.

Stringer_Bell
06-27-2010, 09:48 AM
good luck to him. not sure why he fell off so hard (maybe work ethic?) but thats too bad.

I think he's had pretty solid work ethic his whole career, he's just got such a wierd style and the new guys in the division just aren't buying into it anymore like people did when he started. They pick him apart and he's getting older...I still like to watch him fight, but he just had no momentum anymore in terms of climbing the ranks or watching the gate.