PDA

View Full Version : Teens and driving.

Clandestino
05-14-2005, 09:33 AM
Too Young To Drive? New Research About Teens
LAST UPDATE: 5/13/2005 8:03:01 AM
Posted By: Holly Whisenhunt
Watch this story...

18 year old Edward Moreno’s driving record is typical for a teenager. He’s had two accidents in less than two years on the road. Edward blames a lack of experience.

"When you're driving for more than five, six years, you have more experience driving,” explains Edward. “You're more aware, rather than somebody who's been driving a year and a half like we have."

But science suggests another explanation for the high number of teen crashes that has nothing to do with experience and everything to do with the human brain. Researchers at the National Institutes of Health say the part of the brain that weighs risks, makes judgments, and controls impulsive behavior is not fully developed until age 25.

"The younger they are,” says Russell Henk of the Texas Transportation Institute, “the harder it is for them physically and mentally to handle the driving task. So it's riskier."

Henk is among those who believe the minimum driving age should be raised in Texas. The Texas legislature is considering several bills this year that relate to teen drivers, including banning cell phones, requiring a C average for a license, and notifying parents of traffic violations. But there are no efforts to increase the driving age. Such a move is politically unpopular, in part because so many Texas families count on help from their 16 year old drivers.

"Our society more or less dictates that they're going drive and we just have to try to train them," says Northeast ISD’s Director of Drivers Education, Greg Brandt.

But other driving instructors say age isn't the issue. After all, there are plenty of poor adult drivers.

"I don't know that raising the age is going to fix all of that if we don't change our behaviors as a whole," says Lonnie Johnson of Central Park Driving School. “(Teens) are growing up watching a sub-par performance."

Of course, parents can choose not to grant their teenager a license. That’s what Jan Sanguiliano did by waiting until her son was 18 to drive.

"I feel that he has a lot to learn," says Sanguiliano. “He, I think, understands the dangers that are out there. He's a pretty level-headed kid. And I want to keep him around with me for a while, so."

Texas does have graduated licensing which means new teen drivers cannot drive at night or with other teens in the car for the first six months. But a survey by the Texas Transportation Institute found that 70% of San Antonio teens don't know the law exists.

NameDropper
05-14-2005, 09:46 AM
I never had an accident during my early driving years and have never hit anyone.

Gatita
05-14-2005, 02:25 PM
Saw this story on tv. When your younger of course you make mistakes, like it states your reasoning skills aren't developed. I don't think it should have taken scientists to tell us that or figure it out. Isn't it common sense?!

And yes, I left my first car alittle banged up. :)

Cant_Be_Faded
05-14-2005, 02:45 PM
some kids don't have any business driving though

Spurbanana
05-14-2005, 03:54 PM

Spurbanana
05-14-2005, 03:55 PM
I haven't gotten into my first accident yet. :angel But then again, I don't drive much. I'm more concerned about my friends' parents who buy them new cars and pay for the insurance without telling their kid just how much it is...

Mark in Austin
05-14-2005, 04:28 PM
Some people in general have no business driving. But what do you expect?

If the legislature wants to do something, they might try requiring every person who applies for a licence take an actual driving test, not just answer multiple choice questions on a computer.

Cant_Be_Faded
05-14-2005, 04:33 PM
The driver's liscense standards need to be higher.

A complete dumbass psycho could pass those tests even while high.

So many people ages 16-60 have no business driving, plus when you live in a small well-to-do town, the number of drivers goes up by like 900 each year....and only half of those brats are decent drivers.

KewlKat00
05-14-2005, 04:44 PM
some kids don't have any business driving though

some adults dont have any business driving. and i believe 99.9% of those adults live in la.

T Park
05-14-2005, 04:49 PM
If the legislature wants to do something, they might try requiring every person who applies for a licence take an actual driving test, not just answer multiple choice questions on a computer.

(stands and claps)

exstatic
05-14-2005, 06:07 PM
But science suggests another explanation for the high number of teen crashes that has nothing to do with experience and everything to do with the human brain. Researchers at the National Institutes of Health say the part of the brain that weighs risks, makes judgments, and controls impulsive behavior is not fully developed until age 25.

:lol Apparently, the ins. companies have known this for some time. Your rates drop overnight when you hit 25.