PDA

View Full Version : Job bill fails in senate

jack sommerset
06-24-2010, 07:53 PM
I'm predicting unemployment goes below 9 percent in the next 3 months. Some of the lazy fucks will have to go get jobs now.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) said Thursday that Democrats are giving up on trying to break a Republican filibuster of a bill to reauthorize several expired domestic aid programs, including extended unemployment benefits.

"We're going to move to the small business jobs bill," said Reid when asked what would happen if the vote to move forward with the "tax extenders" bill fails, as it is expected to do on Thursday afternoon. "We can't pass it until we get some Republicans... It's up to them."

Reid and Sen. Max Baucus (D-Mont.), in an effort to mollify a handful of conservative Democrats and moderate Republicans, have spent the past several weeks trimming the bill to reduce its deficit impact. But after jettisoning several provisions to help the old, the poor and the jobless, reducing the bill's ten-year deficit impact down from $134 billion to just $33 billion, the bill is still sinking. Not a single Republican is willing to lend support and Nebraska Democrat Ben Nelson is still holding out, leaving Democrats two votes short of the 60 needed to overcome the GOP filibuster.

Extended unemployment benefits lapsed at the beginning of June. By Friday, more than 1.2 million people out of work for longer than six months will have found themselves ineligible for the next tier of extended benefits, which were originally provided by the stimulus bill to fight the recession. Other programs that lapsed include elevated federal aid for state Medicaid programs and a "Doc Fix" that prevents doctors from a 21-percent drop in reimbursement for seeing Medicare patients.

Sen. Debbie Stabenow (D-Mich.) said she believes Republicans are trying to prevent the economy from improving in order to foster an anti-incumbent mood come November.

"Cynically, for them, It doesn't serve them in terms of the elections in the fall if things are beginning to turn around," she said. "If they can stop the recovery from occurring, If they can create as much pain as possible, the cynical view is people will be angry and either drop out and not vote at all or vote against those in the majority."

"Senate Republicans offered a responsible extenders bill," said a spokesman for Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), referring to the Republican alternative to the bill, which would have reduced the deficit by slashing federal spending. "Democrats rejected it because it did not add to the national debt. Republicans and Democrats agree on the unemployment extensions, but they simply disagree on the Democrats' insistence on adding tens of billions more to an already unsustainable $13 trillion national debt."

Story continues belowHuffPost asked Stabenow if the Democrats' promise that they will drop the "tax extenders" bill altogether might be a bluff to get Republicans to stop demanding cuts.

"Maybe they will come back next week," she said. "Bluff? That suggests a game, and I resent that. There are over a million people right now who have lost their unemployment benefits."

Last week, Democrats and Republicans agreed to reauthorize the Doc Fix provision as a standalone, but House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) said the House wouldn't consider Doc Fix without the rest of the bill (a fuller version of which the House passed at the end of May). On Thursday, Pelosi changed her tune and said she was more amenable to the solo Doc Fix.

UPDATE: The bill was defeated, 57-41, and Democrats said again after the vote that they would move on to other legislation next week.

Winehole23
06-24-2010, 07:56 PM
http://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/empsit.pdf

Winehole23
06-24-2010, 07:58 PM
410,000 Census 2010 workers hired in May, will not have those jobs forever.

Winehole23
06-24-2010, 08:01 PM
I'm predicting unemployment goes below 9 percent in the next 3 months.Based on what?

SnakeBoy
06-24-2010, 09:49 PM
Well at least they passed the Doc Fix for the rest of this year.

greyforest
06-24-2010, 10:12 PM
psst, the way the unemployment rate is calculated is purposefully misleading

Wild Cobra
06-24-2010, 10:28 PM
Based on what?
He explained why.

GoSpurs21
06-24-2010, 11:01 PM
hey jack"ass" summerset....i worked as an engineer for 19 yrs....i was making well over $100k for the last 8 yrs of my career. I was a Field Applications Engineer for communication silicon company when I was laid off. If you think $10/hr is what I want to do for the rest of my life "FUCK YOU". You are part of the problem. If you think jobs are so fucking easy to find then why don't you find me one? I have been competing with an average of 6 other unemployed people for the jobs I am seeking. Many of those jobs are paying 2/3rds of what I was making before for the same work and I still am willing to take that.

I guess I will have to go on welfare now until I can get that job at McD's. But for some reason no one will hire me for minimum wage since I made so much at my last job. Well at least I have my volunteer work at local Library and food bank to keep me going. I bet you don't or wouldn't give back to your community.

All I have to say to stupid fucking idiots like you is take your racist republican values and shove them up your ass. I hope you lose your job to overseas employees then you can talk about who is lazy.

ElNono
06-24-2010, 11:05 PM
Based on what?

You didn't know? People looking for jobs magically create new jobs!
The more people look, the more jobs that magically appear out of thin air!

Winehole23
06-24-2010, 11:45 PM
He explained why.In another thread maybe?

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2010, 12:02 AM
American progress, as defined by the quality and quantity of consumption, reaches its natural end. Perhaps there are some things you cannot measure the value thereof, yet which are clearly of value. Naturally, those things which matter must not stand in the way of theoretical targets which must be pursued because of the inherent certainties they provide. The extremes which the modern political left and right pursue serve only to provide the true believers with a framework to understand the world, and nothing more.

Because a thoroughly statist society, well, sucks, any whiff of state involvement must be eradicated, even if that means we become slaves to corporate masters instead of state ones.

Because local police and fire agencies may be of value, obviously that leads to the conclusion that the federal government can manage the microscopic details of your life.

Maybe we can take all of these bastards out back and shoot them.

Wild Cobra
06-25-2010, 12:10 AM
All I have to say to stupid fucking idiots like you is take your racist republican values and shove them up your ass. I hope you lose your job to overseas employees then you can talk about who is lazy.
Wow...

If you made so many wrong assumptions during employment and looking for work, no wonder nobody will hire you.

If you want to blame anyone for this now, three tear recession, blame the democrats. Those of us still working cannot support people indefinitely. As long as democrats tax and spend us into more and more outsourcing, the problem will grow.

Veterinarian
06-25-2010, 03:20 AM
I'm predicting unemployment goes below 9 percent in the next 3 months. Some of the lazy fucks will have to go get jobs now.

So how the economy works is that people get lazy for a while and unemployment goes up? This country was inflicted by a sudden wave of laziness?

boutons_deux
06-25-2010, 05:21 AM
Repugs obstructing any success for Dems, no matter how much pain it costs to citizens.

The Dems will be stupid, as expected, if they don't campaign with this jobs bill defeat BY THE REPUGS front and center and repeated.

The Repugs' calculation has nothing to do with deficits, that's just another Repug lie, but only with inflicting and extending maximum pain on voters, since (stupid) voters tend to vote against incumbents when the economy is bad.

jack sommerset
06-25-2010, 10:10 AM
hey jack"ass" summerset....i worked as an engineer for 19 yrs....i was making well over $100k for the last 8 yrs of my career. I was a Field Applications Engineer for communication silicon company when I was laid off. If you think $10/hr is what I want to do for the rest of my life "FUCK YOU". You are part of the problem. If you think jobs are so fucking easy to find then why don't you find me one? I have been competing with an average of 6 other unemployed people for the jobs I am seeking. Many of those jobs are paying 2/3rds of what I was making before for the same work and I still am willing to take that.

I guess I will have to go on welfare now until I can get that job at McD's. But for some reason no one will hire me for minimum wage since I made so much at my last job. Well at least I have my volunteer work at local Library and food bank to keep me going. I bet you don't or wouldn't give back to your community.

Congrats, you just insulted 1.2 million people that work at McDonalds. You may just have to come to terms that you will not make that kind of money as a engineer ever again. I suggest when you fill out the McDonalds application you don't discuss your last salary. If they ask, tell them I made alot more then you can pay me but I want to work and it doesn't look like I will ever be able to work as a engineer again :(

Try to stay off welfare.

LOL@If you think $10/hr is what I want to do for the rest of my life "FUCK YOU" Boo Hoo

If you think we want to pay for your lazy ass because you feel like you are better than 10 dollars a hour,,,,,,FUCK YOU

CosmicCowboy
06-25-2010, 10:17 AM
Congrats, you just insulted 1.2 million people that work at McDonalds. You may just have to come to terms that you will not make that kind of money as a engineer ever again. I suggest when you fill out the McDonalds application you don't discuss your last salary. If they ask, tell them I made alot more then you can pay me but I want to work and it doesn't look like I will ever be able to work as a engineer again :(

Try to stay off welfare.

LOL@If you think $10/hr is what I want to do for the rest of my life "FUCK YOU" Boo Hoo

If you think we want to pay for your lazy ass because you feel like you are better than 10 dollars a hour,,,,,,FUCK YOU

Well said...

Or better yet, take one of those $10 an hour jobs while you keep looking for your dream job.

Wild Cobra
06-25-2010, 10:25 AM
Well said...

Or better yet, take one of those $10 an hour jobs while you keep looking for your dream job.
Yep, I don't get some people. I have done what I needed to do to pay the bills. I have been a dishwasher and worked at a car lot washing cars. The best low wage job I took was delivering pizza for Domino's. This can actually pay a decent wage if you don't have too large of bills. Tips add up.

Tip your pizza delivery guy well... He might be someone with a family doing what he needs to do to bring home the bacon. I know... Been there... done that...

$5 or 10%, whatever is greater.

Oh, Gee!!
06-25-2010, 10:27 AM
Yep, I don't get some people. I have done what I needed to do to pay the bills. I have been a dishwasher and worked at a car lot washing cars. The best low wage job I took was delivering pizza for Domino's. This can actually pay a decent wage if you don't have too large of bills. Tips add up.

Tip your pizza delivery guy well... He might be someone with a family doing what he needs to do to bring home the bacon. I know... Been there... done that...

$5 or 10%, whatever is greater.

weren't you also on welfare for a time as well?

clambake
06-25-2010, 10:29 AM
weren't you also on welfare for a time as well?

yes, we the taxpayer, are responsible for his very existence.

then he went bragging about how he abused unemployment benefits.

Wild Cobra
06-25-2010, 10:34 AM
weren't you also on welfare for a time as well?yes, we the taxpayer, are responsible for his very existence.

Idiots...

You super libtards just don't let that go, do you?

I have no control over my mother accepting food stamps when I was 12 years old, for a few months after my parents divorced. Every time either of you bring this up, I'm sure nearly every one else here, including those who hate my guts, see you two for the pitiful fools you are.

Abused unemployment insurance?

LOL... are you two a comedy team? What club you guys have your shows in?

clambake
06-25-2010, 10:38 AM
and now he's a union leech....sucking the blood and soul out of capitalism.

George Gervin's Afro
06-25-2010, 10:39 AM
yes, we the taxpayer, are responsible for his very existence.

he hates tax payer money supporting deadbeats..

jack sommerset
06-25-2010, 10:41 AM
I do

DarrinS
06-25-2010, 10:42 AM
psst, the way the unemployment rate is calculated is purposefully misleading

True. The real rate of unemployment is much higher than 9%.

Veterinarian
06-25-2010, 11:56 AM

So how the economy works is that people get lazy for a while and unemployment goes up? This country was inflicted by a sudden wave of laziness?

Trainwreck2100
06-25-2010, 12:15 PM
Well said...

:lmao $10 an hour, the fuck are you smokin. At most you'll get 9

Oh, Gee!!
06-25-2010, 01:06 PM
he hates tax payer money supporting deadbeats..

WC hates free speech too; otherwise he wouldn't criticize my exercise of free speech.

boutons_deux
06-25-2010, 01:21 PM
Repugs are fucking 100% rotten bastards.

Blake
06-25-2010, 01:32 PM

Congrats, you just insulted 1.2 million people that work at McDonalds.

:lol

He definitely made a lame attempt to insult you, but he didn't insult any McDonald workers.

congrats, you just failed at reading comprehension for what seems like the 1.2 millionth time.

Trainwreck2100
06-25-2010, 01:41 PM
Repugs are fucking 100% rotten bastards.

Not their fault the dems don't have fillibuster proof senate.

boutons_deux
06-25-2010, 01:48 PM
Senate only needs 51 votes to pass, Constitutionally. requiring more paralyzes the Senate with the minority like California has paralyzed itself with 2/3 requirement for finance legislation. aka, the tyranny of the the minority.

Even Bunning's one objection was enough to block stuff. The Senate is a very unfunny joke.