PDA

View Full Version : Five Reasons to Like the San Antonio Spurs' Draft ‎

ohmwrecker
06-25-2010, 12:08 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/411353-five-reasons-to-like-the-san-antonio-spurs-draft

I'm still kind of puzzled that The Spurs chose Anderson over Brackens (who would have filled an IMO greater need), but the more I read about this kid, the more I like the pick. If Splitter comes through and the Spurs have enough bank to get a 3/4 who can shoot the three, I think they will be set.

Mr. Body
06-25-2010, 12:56 PM
The Spurs' biggest need was perhaps outside shooting.

Thompson
06-25-2010, 02:54 PM
The thing that excites me about Anderson is how he was able to accomplish all he did while being the standout player on his team; the opposing team would focus on him, and he still scored.

With the Spurs, I think he might have quite a few more open looks with Parker, Duncan, Jefferson, Splitter etc. on the floor with him.

CaptainLate
06-25-2010, 04:41 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/411353-five-reasons-to-like-the-san-antonio-spurs-draft

I'm still kind of puzzled that The Spurs chose Anderson over Brackens (who would have filled an IMO greater need), but the more I read about this kid, the more I like the pick. If Splitter comes through...

That's why they didn't go big. RCB knew that Splitter would be coming, which is why he (RCB) said what he said in the post-draft interview to the reporter who asked about the Spurs needing another big.

Brazil
06-25-2010, 04:49 PM
The thing that excites me about Anderson is how he was able to accomplish all he did while being the standout player on his team; the opposing team would focus on him, and he still scored.

With the Spurs, I think he might have quite a few more open looks with Parker, Duncan, Jefferson, Splitter etc. on the floor with him.
:toast

Spurs Brazil
06-25-2010, 05:56 PM
San Antonio Spurs: James Anderson(notes), Ryan Richards(notes)
The Spurs, seriously, may have just drafted themselves another starter. At 20. Jerks.

And Richards could pan out. Which, in Anglo vernacular, means he "could pull the drainpipe through the tire mason's stovetop outside the vicar's garden." Fantastic value for the 20th and 49th picks.

Grade - A

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Grading-the-NBA-Draft;_ylt=ApS11K8CXwM3HN_GY0CejYO8vLYF?urn=nba,25 1378

ohmwrecker
06-25-2010, 06:25 PM
Don't get me wrong, I am sold on Anderson both being a solid pick and filling a gaping hole in our rotation. The problem at SF still remains an issue. If Splitter gets the MLE, the Spurs will have to find a back-up SF FA on the cheap or fill in with Hairston or Gee (neither of these options will result in much talent-wise). Obviously, moving forward, Splitter is priority #1. Hopefully after we lock that up, we will have to find a bargain on the FA market.

Thompson
06-25-2010, 06:31 PM
http://www.foxsportssouthwest.com/06/25/10/Spurs-strike-draft-gold-again-in-Oklahom/landing.html?blockID=260819&feedID=3742

Here's another positive article on the Anderson acquisition from FSN. It would be more encouraging if not for the sentence mentioning that "Last year, San Antonio took Joseph Blair, an ex-Pitt big man..." :lol

Spursfan092120
06-25-2010, 06:49 PM
Richards looks like he can play...might be a good project, if nothing else

PiANnojm34I

angelbelow
06-25-2010, 06:57 PM
The Spurs, seriously, may have just drafted themselves another starter. At 20. Jerks.

And Richards could pan out. Which, in Anglo vernacular, means he "could pull the drainpipe through the tire mason's stovetop outside the vicar's garden." Fantastic value for the 20th and 49th picks.

Grade - A

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Grading-the-NBA-Draft;_ylt=ApS11K8CXwM3HN_GY0CejYO8vLYF?urn=nba,25 1378

haha i just read the whole thing and it appears as if he either doesnt know shit about any of the players or he wrote the whole article in 15 minutes (without proof reading)

Waps1980
06-25-2010, 07:55 PM
The Spurs' biggest need was perhaps outside shooting.
Especially if they are looking to move Mason and brick Bonner

spursfaninla
06-25-2010, 08:03 PM

Grade - A

While it is nice to see this sort of thing, you have to wonder WTF this writer is talking about.

Parker, Manu, and Hill are all getting about 30 minutes each. That is 90 minutes at the sg/pg slots.

there are 96 minutes to be had for those two slots.

I don't see how Anderson could POSSIBLY be a starter and play less than 10 minutes. It makes no sense.

Anderson will see spot minutes when manu or hill are not hitting, even if he is very good. Only way he sees more than that is if Hill regresses, or can't guard the 2 spot when Manu is resting.

ohmwrecker
06-25-2010, 08:11 PM
You forgot about smallball! Anderson @ the 3!

smrattler
06-25-2010, 08:18 PM
WE NEED DEFENSE!!!!!!

Our defense was bad most of the year, and flat out non-existent against athletic teams and the Suns in the playoffs.

The draft didn't do anything to help that. It might help with shooting, that's a big maybe at least for his rookie year.

We need to address our defense, but I expect that needs to come from free agency.

spursfaninla
06-25-2010, 08:27 PM
If defense is really a need, then which positions are you talking about?

We need minutes for duncan, splitter, blair and dice in that order. Between 2 positions, they take all minutes.

parker, manu, and hill take almost all the minutes at the 1 and 2.

We really just need a defensive 3. Otherwise, any "defensive" player will take minutes away from our important rotation players.

Unless we get rid of one of the 7 above, any "defensive" player is not seeing enough minutes to make much of a difference.

With RJ getting most of the minutes at the sf/3, we are really just talking about probably 15 minutes to account for.

Shifty
06-25-2010, 08:34 PM
You forgot about smallball! Anderson @ the 3!

Exactly. Between Tony, Manu and Hill they play 90 minutes of PG/SG but somebody has to play the 15 minutes RJ sits and the inevitable smallball 3 which is the same thing since we have no other SF...for now... :rolleyes