PDA

View Full Version : Bill Simmons Take on Anderson

mexicanjunior
06-25-2010, 01:23 PM
I personally don't agree, I think Anderson is going to be good...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/100625

6:33: Weird one for me: I've learned never to doubt San Antonio's picks, but it just took someone I had penciled in as a bust (Oklahoma State's James Anderson). This is awkward.

Dr. Gonzo
06-25-2010, 01:26 PM
Bill Simmons isn't smart.

Cane
06-25-2010, 01:30 PM
Is he referencing some kind of draft article he wrote? Would be interesting to see why he thought Anderson would be a bust although his style is more about entertainment than anything else. Otherwise being "penciled in as a bust" isn't exactly a great argument especially when most analysts predict that its another good pick, even a steal.

However Simmons did also write that he's learned not to doubt the Spurs picks and he's one of the bigger Spurs/Duncan fans out in the LA-infested media.

SenorSpur
06-25-2010, 01:31 PM
I swear everytime this guy opens his stat-filled mouth, he proves to the world how dumb he really is. Memo to Simmons: Stick with your theorems, equations and PERs. Leave the player analysis to others.

mexicanjunior
06-25-2010, 01:33 PM
I swear everytime this guy opens his stat-filled mouth, he proves to the world how dumb he really is. Memo to Simmons: Stick with your theorems, equations and PERs. Leave the player analysis to others.

I thought Hollinger was the stat guy...

Veterinarian
06-25-2010, 01:35 PM
So he compliments the Spurs by saying he's learned never to doubt their drafting ability, but because he didn't like James Anderson he's an "idiot".

okay.

I know, he was stupid when he disagreed with the draft pick but smart when he said they were a good drafting organization.

I don't know how you did it but you confused Simmons with Hollinger.

EricB
06-25-2010, 01:46 PM
Lol funny post IMO. He's just saying I had him as a bust Orr draft but the spurs who draft well took him so it's akward. Funny, we shall see though if Anderson is or is not a bust.

Blake
06-25-2010, 01:52 PM
Bill Simmons is hilarious.

murpjf88
06-25-2010, 01:53 PM
Jack McClinton was also the best shooter in the draft. Look where he ended up. Shooters can be hit-or-miss in the pros especially ones that can't create their own shot. It will be a miracle if he sees more than 5-8 minutes a game in Pop's system. He won't get much burn his rookie season but will excel in garbage time.

Buddy Holly
06-25-2010, 01:58 PM
Bill Simmons thought (as did a lot of people) the Celtics were first round losers. So maybe he shouldn't think so highly of his own opinion.

Buddy Holly
06-25-2010, 02:05 PM
He also said he thinks the Spurs organization drafts well. So maybe you're right.

Golden State Warriors... really?

SenorSpur
06-25-2010, 02:07 PM
That's Hollinger, not Bill Simmons. Dumbass.

Look at your avatar... I rest my case.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-25-2010, 02:08 PM
:lmao

Buddy Holly
06-25-2010, 02:08 PM
so has sametrodaily.com gotten any action yet or does everything still get zero comments. the forum is really blowing up too! so many people post there!

Buddy Holly
06-25-2010, 02:10 PM
SA's #1 blog!

Veterinarian
Really, I'd like to take the side of a fellow Spurs fan but how is it even possible to confuse Bill Simmons with John Hollinger? That's a serious question btw, no trolling.

DisAsTerBot
so has sametrodaily.com gotten any action yet or does everything still get zero comments. the forum is really blowing up too! so many people post there!

spurs forum poster :lol

SenorSpur
06-25-2010, 02:11 PM
You're the retard who didn't know the difference between bill simmons and john hollinger.

Sure thing.

And words coming from a Golden State fan....makes me feel truly blessed.

Buddy Holly
06-25-2010, 02:13 PM
spurs forum poster :lol

Mavs fan trolling as a GSW player on Spurs forum.

Dude lives an exciting life. :lol

Buddy Holly
06-25-2010, 02:14 PM
0 comments

0 comments

0 comments

0 comments

0 comments

0 comments

0 comments

0 comments

0 comments

that's the just the first page :lmao

:lol :toast

neboat
06-25-2010, 02:26 PM
so how good is Anderson? Is he comparable to Chase Budinger?

Dex
06-25-2010, 02:58 PM
He also said he thinks the Spurs organization drafts well. So maybe you're right.

Parker, Ginobili, Scola, Udrih, Hill, Splitter, Blair...

yeah, talk about a bunch of scrubs...:rolleyes

Juanobili
06-25-2010, 03:01 PM
6:22: Just called my dad for his Bradley take. "Did you hear them say he was ranked higher than John Wall heading into college last year?" he asks. Dad and I are moving on. We're totally over that Game 7 loss. As far as you know.

hahaah keep telling yourself that you Celtics homer

ffadicted
06-25-2010, 03:15 PM
What a dumbass lol

Solid D
06-25-2010, 03:43 PM
http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/images/photos/000/978/717/JAMESANDERSON250_0829_crop_340x234.jpg?1277473807

Skeptics beware!

eyeh8u
06-25-2010, 03:47 PM
dude is a retard, he says things like, "we need to heal cancer", then bags on duke for how preppy and upper class it is, but never mentions the tuition to his holy cross is even more than duke's.

Whisky Dog
06-25-2010, 04:04 PM
Jack McClinton was also the best shooter in the draft. Look where he ended up. Shooters can be hit-or-miss in the pros especially ones that can't create their own shot. It will be a miracle if he sees more than 5-8 minutes a game in Pop's system. He won't get much burn his rookie season but will excel in garbage time.

McClinton was also 5'10". This dude is 6'6", so his chances are better to get his shot off. He could bust, we'll see.

Mel_13
06-25-2010, 04:23 PM
Bill Simmons came to his conclusion about Anderson during March madness. He wrote a column about things March Madness tells us about NBA prospects.

The part about Anderson:

Question No. 3: If Player X is a perimeter scorer or scoring point guard, can he get to any spot he wants?

Put it this way: If he can't make the executive decision a few times per game of "I'm going to beat my guy, get into the paint and get a good shot" or "I'm getting to the rim and either scoring or they'll have to foul me," then it's not happening in the pros. Did you watch Oklahoma State play Georgia Tech? Poor James Anderson's stock fell through the floor. At least for me. He couldn't get anywhere he wanted to go. That means four words: "Welcome to the D-League."

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/100326

lurker23
06-25-2010, 04:25 PM
As far as the OP goes, consider it a compliment to the front office. He holds the Spurs in such high regard that he's willing to consider that his opinion may be completely wrong, simply because the Spurs drafted the guy.

mountainballer
06-25-2010, 04:26 PM
cool down guys. Simmons isn't an expert for NCA/Euro/Highschool/whatever.
(to be fair, he doesn't claim to be either)
and about his competence:
this guy pissed his pants 2005 when Celtics drafted Gerald Green, he thought they got the steal of the draft and a new franchise player.
in 2006 he whined when the Celtics picked Rajon Rondo. pointed out how bad a shooter Rondo is and that you can't win a title with such a PG. oh well.

in other words, he's got Anderson as a bust. be happy it's not the other way around.

EricB
06-25-2010, 04:29 PM
As far as the OP goes, consider it a compliment to the front office. He holds the Spurs in such high regard that he's willing to consider that his opinion may be completely wrong, simply because the Spurs drafted the guy.

EXACTLY!!!

Thats ALL he was saying!

Shastafarian
06-25-2010, 05:07 PM
This should tell you everything you need to know about Bill Simmons' ability to rate draft picks:

5:24: Utah picks NCAA near-legend Gordon Hayward ninth. He was two inches away from being the real Jimmy Chitwood. I loved everything about that pick

Cane
06-25-2010, 05:09 PM
This should tell you everything you need to know about Bill Simmons' ability to rate draft picks:

5:24: Utah picks NCAA near-legend Gordon Hayward ninth. He was two inches away from being the real Jimmy Chitwood. I loved everything about that pick

Sure does, he loves to mix entertainment and jokes in his writing:

5:24: Utah picks NCAA near-legend Gordon Hayward ninth. He was two inches away from being the real Jimmy Chitwood. I loved everything about that pick: Made sense for the Jazz (they needed a perimeter scorer); I can make Utah/white guy jokes about it (what's better than Utah stealing the best available white guy from Indiana?); and, by the way, if you don't think Hayward is going to cause a riot among Utah women, you don't know Utah well enough. They may as well have drafted Zac Efron and converted him to Mormonism.

Cane
06-25-2010, 05:13 PM
Mavs fan trolling as a GSW player on Spurs forum.

Dude lives an exciting life. :lol

:lol

LnGrrrR
06-25-2010, 06:31 PM
Bill Simmons thought (as did a lot of people) the Celtics were first round losers. So maybe he shouldn't think so highly of his own opinion.

I thought the Celtics were second round losers. Given the way they played through the last half of the season, you can't really blame us. I mean, if you saw a guy who could barely hit a dartboard five times out of ten, would you then predict him to hit a bullseye in two of the next three shots? :lol

rascal
06-25-2010, 07:44 PM
Anderson looks like he can step right into the rotation next year.

angelbelow
06-25-2010, 07:44 PM
hes funny but hes wrong here.

Udokafan05
06-25-2010, 08:20 PM
Bill Simmons is hilarious.

His book is awesome.

BadOdor
06-25-2010, 11:47 PM
:lol

Almost as bad as a guy stealing someone's pictures and posting them as his on an nsync forum.

Well......actually not even close.

lol buddy holly.

greyforest
06-26-2010, 01:39 AM

hollinger is way more credible than bill simmons

bill simmons is some celtics homer news article guy with jack shit credentials

sabar
06-26-2010, 05:47 AM
Really, I'd like to take the side of a fellow Spurs fan but how is it even possible to confuse Bill Simmons with John Hollinger? That's a serious question btw, no trolling.

ESPN hacks all spit out the same drivel, just in slightly different ways.

ezau
06-26-2010, 06:08 AM

McClinton is a 6'1 SG, Anderson is a 6'6 shooting with decent athleticism. I think he's going to be a longer, bigger version of Jamal Crawford.

Jason R
06-26-2010, 11:11 AM
ESPN hacks all spit out the same drivel, just in slightly different ways.

Yeah Bill Simmons, Chad Ford and John Holling all hold mirror opinions.

Except they don't.

TFloss32
06-26-2010, 12:13 PM
McClinton was also 5'10". This dude is 6'6", so his chances are better to get his shot off. He could bust, we'll see.

+1. It doesn't help that Jack McClinton is an undersized, Eddie House kind of 2 guard who bascially didn't make a shot in summer league. He wasn't making the roster even if he played well, IMO. James Anderson will be a solid rotation guy for the Spurs now that RMJ is gone and not eating up the minutes of real basketball players. It may take a while for Anderson to see significant minutes, but I like his chances.

Hooks
06-26-2010, 12:24 PM
I've been watching a bunch of Anderson's highlights and this dude is a damn BEAST!

He's got good size and rebounding skills, he's got really quick release and he can make very difficult shots. He reminds me of a Ray Allen/Rip Hamilton type shooter, most of his points come off screens. He can make difficult shots from all over the floor. Not only can he shoot but he can drive it in, and if nothing's there he's very good at passing to someone wide open.

I heard from a couple of people that he was getting doubled and tripled which is why his shot % went down especially in the G Tech game. Defenses were also focused on stopping him, against Kansas Anderson was outplaying everyone on the floor. Teams would guard this guy like he's Kobe.

Against Kansas, Anderson was pretty much unstoppable. In the first half he put up 24 points against 4 different guys. He was just abusing Xavier Henry who was picked much earlier, he even blocked one of his shot attempts. The Kansas head coach put up 4 different guys to try to guard James but none of them could.

I can see this guy being a Marcus Thornton type player. I can't believe he was still at 20, it must've been because of the workouts as I cannot see any reason for him not being drafted earlier.