PDA

View Full Version : Slamonline: Ryan Richards Videos

ceperez
06-25-2010, 02:08 PM
Check out these videos:

http://www.slamonline.com/online/media/slam-tv/2010/05/video-is-ryan-richards-nba-material/

Look the Spurs snagged themselves a Lamar Odom / Dirk Nowitzki type player.

He's going to be a great compliment to Tim Duncan if his game is pop and shoot.

Could be the STEAL OF THE DRAFT.

19 years old... shooting touch... good frame that can support more pounds...
... PLUS ... being mentored by Tim Duncan.

Cane
06-25-2010, 02:23 PM
Has there ever been a star NBA player from the UK?

ceperez
06-25-2010, 02:25 PM

Doesn't need to be a star player for the Spurs.

All he needs to do is spread the floor and hit 3's.

That's what I expect also from Anderson.

SenorSpur
06-25-2010, 02:40 PM

Luol Deng, perhaps. Good player, though I wouldn't call him a star.

nbaman99
06-25-2010, 03:29 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157203

jaffies
06-25-2010, 03:31 PM

Pops Mensah-Bonsu

and yes, he's a star

Solid D
06-25-2010, 04:06 PM
Could Ryan end up being a Channing Frye type player for the Spurs in the future? He has similarities in his size and shooting ability but Ryan is perhaps more aggressive in his style.

mingus
06-25-2010, 04:24 PM
impressed by the video. it's easy to put together a video of the top plays of even a bunch of shitty players...so i guess we just have to wait it out...but he undeniably has natural agility and handles for a guy his size, and he seems to have a good jumpshot (hard to really tell on this when they show him making every one). seems to have a good feel for the game, as opposed to a guy like Haislip, who is more of a great athlete than anything else and not so much a basketball player.

if Matt Bonner and Mahinmi leave, i could maybe see him being on the Spurs roster at some point to be that 5th big (if the Spurs sign Splitter). maybe the Spurs shuffle him between the Toros and Spurs. if Bonner does leave it opens the door for him because the team wouldn't have a stretch big, which seems to be his label.

MaNu4Tres
06-25-2010, 04:29 PM
Wow at that video..

I'm really anxious to see how well he performs in Summer League now.

tomtom
06-25-2010, 04:40 PM

Lmao are you kidding me. Spurs will be lucky if he ends up as a Ryan Hollins. He's definitely interesting but how can you compare him to all stars.

sexinthatsx
06-25-2010, 04:51 PM
Kelena Azuibuke came from the UK, I think. That guy's a stud, and I was pretty sad to see him injured.

sexinthatsx
06-25-2010, 04:52 PM
Oh yeah, and I think Ben Gordon came from UK too?

pjjrfan
06-25-2010, 05:15 PM
He made some pretty damn good passes for a big guy. And he seems to be able to handle the rock. He's a kid playing alongside kids but he does look dominant. I like his footwork. He looks fluid, not herkyjerky, and he seems to be playing with a ton of confidence in his game. He's pretty intriguing prospect. I don't agree he should stay oversea's but he does need some more experience would he be able to get it in the D league, don't know.

Muser
06-25-2010, 05:20 PM
lol comparing a 19 year old second round pick to Dirk.

smrattler
06-25-2010, 05:36 PM
I remeber Ian Mahini was supposed to be the answer for Dirk and Amare when we saw his Youtube vids after that draft. Just needs time to develope overseas.

Still waiting...

TwelveGs210
06-25-2010, 05:39 PM
I'd say comparing him to Lamar and Dirk is a little premature judging from youtube highlights, but I think it looks like a good value pick from a potential standpoint..If he can show that kind of range in the NBA, hes already a big upgrade from Bonner considering he looks as he likes to rebound and make the pass.

Hopefully he does good in the summer league, it would be nice to have him replace Bonner in next years rotation. His contract would be a discount compared to Bonner and would save some cap room for us too.

wildbill2u
06-25-2010, 05:41 PM
That was professional league play? We used to get bigger crowds for my Sunday School league.

DPG21920
06-25-2010, 05:43 PM
This guys passing is one thing that has caught me off guard in all of these videos. He seems to be a very good passer for his size. Is he really a true 6"11?

benefactor
06-25-2010, 05:44 PM
His shot looks pretty smooth...nice quick, high release with good arc and good mechanics.

I agree with Solid D...he could wind up a more agressive, well rounded version of Channing Frye. Then again, he could wind up Brian Cook.

spursfan1000
06-25-2010, 05:45 PM
Lmao are you kidding me. Spurs will be lucky if he ends up as a Ryan Hollins. He's definitely interesting but how can you compare him to all stars.

I think he meant his playing style was like Dirk and Odom.

smrattler
06-25-2010, 05:51 PM
My basketball playing style I would say is a mix between Charles Barkley and Larry Bird, but I'm not nearly as good.

TFloss32
06-25-2010, 05:53 PM
It's highly possible that Richards doesn't see the floor until Duncan is retired.

Man In Black
06-25-2010, 06:39 PM
John Amaechi is an Englishman and there was once a time where he turned down a Max contract to play for the Lakers, and stayed in Orlando. He turned down $17 Mill, and stayed loyal to Orlando for 600K per season for 2 years.

He played for England's National Team.

FilSpursFan
06-25-2010, 07:16 PM
United Kingdom

* John Amaechi (born in USA, raised in England)
* Robert Archibald (Scotland)
* Kelenna Azubuike (born in England, raised in USA)
* Steve Bucknall (England)
* Luol Deng (born in Sudan, raised in England)
* James Donaldson
* Ndudi Ebi (England)
* Ben Gordon (born in England, raised in USA)
* Chris Harris
* Pops Mensah-Bonsu (England);
...and the no. 1 pick...
* Michael Olowokandi (born in Nigeria, raised in England)

timtonymanu
06-25-2010, 07:23 PM
He looks good but then again Haislip looked good and he turned out to be horrible.

I wont say anything until I see Richards play his first NBA game.

LakerHater
06-25-2010, 07:28 PM
Ryan Richards couldn't get on the floor for his Spanish team so it had to loan him to a team in Switzerland? Well, that can't be a great sign.

ChumpDumper
06-25-2010, 07:30 PM
Ryan Richards couldn't get on the floor for his Spanish team so it had to loan him to a team in Switzerland? Well, that can't be a great sign.Dude was 18. His not playing for a Spanish premier league playoff team isn't a sign of anything.

rascal
06-25-2010, 07:40 PM
Check out these videos:

http://www.slamonline.com/online/media/slam-tv/2010/05/video-is-ryan-richards-nba-material/

He's going to be a great compliment to Tim Duncan if his game is pop and shoot.

Could be the STEAL OF THE DRAFT.

19 years old... shooting touch... good frame that can support more pounds...
... PLUS ... being mentored by Tim Duncan.

Quit overrating and comparing him to all stars based on a few highlights. He will be lucky to ever even make the team.

LakerHater
06-25-2010, 07:44 PM
according to the official BBC Monthey website (http://www.bbcmonthey.ch/cms/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=73&Itemid=69) he only played 3 profesional games last season!

ChumpDumper
06-25-2010, 07:54 PM
according to the official BBC Monthey website (http://www.bbcmonthey.ch/cms/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=73&Itemid=69) he only played 3 profesional games last season!It doesn't say anything about the games he played on that page.

I believe it was actually six or seven games before his shoulder injury.

http://www.lnba.ch/joueur.php?id=4576&m_f=0

EricD
06-25-2010, 08:18 PM
Could this guy be the next Artis Gilmore/Lamar Odom/Sam Perkins clone all rolled into one?

Certainly has the potential..Wouldn't you agree?

ChumpDumper
06-25-2010, 08:20 PM
We'll see soon enough. Seems he can beat up on Swiss children, that's for sure.

ohmwrecker
06-25-2010, 08:31 PM
Pop is going to have to talk to him about his demonstrative dunking style.

benefactor
06-25-2010, 08:49 PM
Did we all suddenly forget that he just turned 19 in April?

IknowU
06-25-2010, 08:51 PM
Pop is going to have to talk to him about his demonstrative dunking style.

:lol :toast

Cane
06-25-2010, 09:47 PM
United Kingdom

* John Amaechi (born in USA, raised in England)
* Robert Archibald (Scotland)
* Kelenna Azubuike (born in England, raised in USA)
* Steve Bucknall (England)
* Luol Deng (born in Sudan, raised in England)
* James Donaldson
* Ndudi Ebi (England)
* Ben Gordon (born in England, raised in USA)
* Chris Harris
* Pops Mensah-Bonsu (England);
...and the no. 1 pick...
* Michael Olowokandi (born in Nigeria, raised in England)

Interesting, thanks :toast

Blackjack
06-25-2010, 09:52 PM
I like the pick and I like the tools and confidence he carries.

But until I see him play against some decent competition (even if I'm encouraged with Xavier Henry's take), his name is Billy Madison.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_dvFP0G9xna8/S12nuN1lHpI/AAAAAAAAAFo/7vfBp4Iv5wM/s400/Billy-Madison.jpg

Poor kids . . .

callo1
06-25-2010, 10:00 PM
He had me from 91.3% from the line

tim_duncan_fan
06-25-2010, 10:35 PM
I want to see him on the summer league team and I think he'll put all kinds of crazy ass numbers in the D-League, eventually. It'll be interesting watching him grow up.

I like being a fan of a championship team, but I have to say that it's very cool to have interesting young players to look out for.

Hill, Blair, a Big12 MVP, and some 6-11 that can pass and run the floor, and all of them under 22. Not to mention Splitter, who could turn out to be a more than serviceable center.

We won't ever have another Tim Duncan, but the Spurs have an interesting future to say the least.

LakerHater
06-25-2010, 10:55 PM
We'll see soon enough. Seems he can beat up on Swiss children, that's for sure.
& Belgium and Austria.
I think Spurs might stash'em in Euroleague for a while.

lurker23
06-25-2010, 11:25 PM
This guys passing is one thing that has caught me off guard in all of these videos. He seems to be a very good passer for his size. Is he really a true 6"11?

6' 10.5" without shoes, 6' 11.75" with shoes.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Ryan-Richards-1272/

MaNu4Tres
06-25-2010, 11:31 PM
6' 10.5" without shoes, 6' 11.75" with shoes.

http://www.5starhiphop.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/comment-friday-damn.jpg

tim_duncan_fan
06-25-2010, 11:32 PM
& Belgium and Austria.
I think Spurs might stash'em in Euroleague for a while.

D-League. He said before he was drafted that he wants to be playing in the NBA.

Then again, I guess they could convince him otherwise.

ohmwrecker
06-26-2010, 06:35 AM
This kid seems to have some skills. I hope he is on the Toros next year so I can see him play. He needs to start playing against quasi NBA level talent to gauge where he really stands. He looks like a real stretch 4. A young Horry maybe? I don't think it will do him, or the Spurs, any good to be stashed in Europe.

texbound
06-26-2010, 07:49 AM
This kid is a nice project, but the thing that stood out to me was his footwork down low. He looked very fluid and wasn't all over the paint. He had good command of his size and he also posseses a nice shooting touch. Another plus is that he's left handed which is a little harder to defend. It's way to early in making comparisons, but he's a very interesting prospect.

wut
06-26-2010, 08:06 AM
Seems like he'll need to be groomed for 1-2 years before playing; but serious potential to become a starter.

picnroll
06-26-2010, 08:53 AM
Don't know about the competition but a couple of things you can see in the video, regardless of the level of competition, this kid has excellent shooting form and RIDICULOUS agility for a player his size.

Darkwaters
06-26-2010, 09:25 AM
He had me from 91.3% from the line

yea....definitely not Spurs material

My Fault
06-26-2010, 09:26 AM
Seems interesting for skill set and size but problem is he seems very raw. Hopefully he doesn't end up as Ian part 2

NewJerSpur
06-26-2010, 09:44 AM
Looked like a fusion of Lamar Odom and D-Rob (before the back problems) with his mobility, ballhandling, and range......as has been mentioned though, we will need to see him AT LEAST get some work in in the D-League. Looks like he could be a very nice project, hopefully with better results than the Ian situation.

Darkwaters
06-26-2010, 10:28 AM
Quality bigmen are slow to develop, expensive to sign when ready to produce and critical to the success of a team. I'm of the opinion that a team should usually carry six bigs on their team where the sixth big is a purely developmental player who is trying to figure it all out. Considering what some teams have paid to get developmental bigs in the past (Saer Sene at #10 for Seattle, Hasheem Thabeet at #2) I think a player with as much potential and natural gifts as Richards at #49 is awesome. And with a non-guaranteed contract it's at virtually no risk. If Richards wants to come over next season then I'd let him do it all day long. With the Toros just up the road we can control his development and get him rolling.

TimDunkem
06-26-2010, 10:31 AM
Here's a video of Richards describing his game in his own words at a Warriors pre-draft interview.

I don't know how to embed, so here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QExcbYRrYCA