PDA

View Full Version : RC Buford on 1250

EricB
06-25-2010, 04:20 PM
Right now

Pretty much says that after Tiago Splitter, that seems to be the end of the big men.

Says that the roster is not set

EricB
06-25-2010, 04:24 PM
Says they are gonna get into free agency soon, with other players and negotiate with their own...

DPG21920
06-25-2010, 04:24 PM
What does that mean?

EricB
06-25-2010, 04:25 PM
what does what mean?

tdunk21
dont negotiate with own....our own FA's are chokers

TimDunkem
Bonner is coming back baby! :flag::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:

MaNu4Tres
06-25-2010, 04:26 PM
and negotiate with their own...

Hopefully that's Mahinmi...

not Bonner, Mason or Bogans.

Thanks for the summary :tu

EricB
06-25-2010, 04:30 PM
BTW, theres a story going into Express Snooze that Buford stated he has not and WILL NOT interview for the portland job.

After answering about Free Agency he went on to talk about the Under 18 tourny and the World Cup so nothing much else.

Just reiterated his excitement for Anderson.

objective
06-25-2010, 04:32 PM
did he address whether Richards will be returning to europe or coming stateside?

EricB
06-25-2010, 04:34 PM
Good question, i was tryin to dictate the convo for here, I didn't hear a mention of Richards though.

objective
06-25-2010, 04:37 PM
Good question, i was tryin to dictate the convo for here, I didn't hear a mention of Richards though.

I'm sure it wasn't brought up by the hosts. Duel and the other guy are pretty much par for the course with regards to SA sports media: useless.

EricB
06-25-2010, 04:39 PM
Well he's stated that he doesn't want to go back to europe and hes willing to go to D-League, so I'd assume he's in summer league....

Harry Callahan
06-25-2010, 04:40 PM
RC is the General Manager for a team with 4 NBA titles - he gets credit for what he has done here. He also seems like a loyal guy. Portland has some issues with its owner Paul Allen and his "Yes Men" that leads to a poisoned working environment for the true basketball people.

EricB
06-25-2010, 04:41 PM
Yeah exactly what I was thinking. I think Buford and Pritchard might've been buds too.

Blackjack
06-25-2010, 04:42 PM
Richards will apparently play in Summer League and he made it quite clear before the draft that he was going to be in the States on a team or playing in the D-League to earn his way on to a team, so I'm guessing he's their newest Toro.

I'd hate to hear that they ended up burning another pick because the player wasn't willing to play overseas for a year or two before signing.

Ocotillo
06-25-2010, 04:48 PM
Says they are gonna get into free agency soon, with other players and negotiate with their own...

One of "their own" is Splitter.

objective
06-25-2010, 04:49 PM
Well he's stated that he doesn't want to go back to europe and hes willing to go to D-League, so I'd assume he's in summer league....

well, I know that about Richards, you know that, Blackjack knows that, educated Spurs fans know about what Richards has said in interviews.

BUT

Then we get articles by McDonald in the Express that have sections like this (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_Cowboy_up_by_picking_OSU_star_97132014.html? c=y&page=2#storytop) : (kept as short as possible for copyright reasons)

Richards, who spent last season in Switzerland, will be stashed overseas for later use.

Now is that true? Because I didn't see it in the posted draft video coverage. And knowing the quality of McDonald's work, I wouldn't be surprised if McDonald was just assuming this, after all there is no direct quote. And because the rest of the media is useless, they don't ask decent questions about it either.

So was McDonald told by Buford that Richards was staying overseas? Did McDonald then bring up Richards' public statements about not returning to Europe and get a response?

Or did McDonald just pull a San Antonio Media and just assume that as a foreigner he would 'stashed overseas'?

Mel_13
06-25-2010, 04:51 PM
Or did McDonald just pull a San Antonio Media and just assume that as a foreigner he would 'stashed overseas'?

We have a winner.

franceout
06-25-2010, 04:52 PM
Since when one can interview a gm without permission of his current team?

Blackjack
06-25-2010, 05:09 PM
We have a winner.

I concur. :tu

MaNu4Tres
06-25-2010, 05:14 PM
We have a winner.

Chicken dinner...Literally ...Chick-Fil-A even.

DynastyBuilder
06-25-2010, 05:15 PM
Draft Q&A with R.C. Buford

BH: A lot of Spurs fans were maybe expecting a Euro, and we got Richards in the second round, tell us a little about him.

RC: Well I don't know whether we were expecting a Euro or not, but he's a tall, pretty athletic shooting big, and we hope that he grows. But he's young, he's played very, very little, so this is a developmental project.

BH: So you expect him to come over later, not necessarily now?

RC: I don't know. I think his intentions are to try to come soon, so we'll see.

http://www.nba.com/spurs/features/draft_questions_buford_100624.html

E-RockWill
06-25-2010, 06:03 PM
Well, give this Richards kid some credit. He did say that he didn't want to be "stashed" in Europe during the combine interview. He let it be known early on so the Spurs were aware of his standpoint. I am sure he'll do whatever's asked of him to make that money.

TheProfessor
06-25-2010, 06:30 PM
Well, give this Richards kid some credit. He did say that he didn't want to be "stashed" in Europe during the combine interview. He let it be known early on so the Spurs were aware of his standpoint. I am sure he'll do whatever's asked of him to make that money.
Richards needs a ton of minutes in Summer League. I'm hoping he plays like a man possessed if he really wants to be stateside next season.

4down
06-25-2010, 06:49 PM
I don't know if it was necessarily Richard's intenet, but it could really be to his advantage playing in the D-League, as far as him joining the Spurs is concerned, as the Toros run the same system. Seems like a good strategy to reduce his learnig curve and have some of that corporate knowledge coming in, if he gets a chance. Is this the case for all D league teams, though? Do they all run the 'parent teams' schemes?

ChumpDumper
06-25-2010, 07:11 PM
I don't know if it was necessarily Richard's intenet, but it could really be to his advantage playing in the D-League, as far as him joining the Spurs is concerned, as the Toros run the same system. Seems like a good strategy to reduce his learnig curve and have some of that corporate knowledge coming in, if he gets a chance. Is this the case for all D league teams, though? Do they all run the 'parent teams' schemes?No, although typically a player who is sent down to an affiliate will have some plays sent down with him and a list of things they would like the D-League team to concentrate on. The single-affiliate teams like the Toros and others who work very closely with NBA teams like the Utah Flash and Maine will use systems very close to those of the NBA teams.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-25-2010, 08:14 PM
No, although typically a player who is sent down to an affiliate will have some plays sent down with him and a list of things they would like the D-League team to concentrate on. The single-affiliate teams like the Toros and others who work very closely with NBA teams like the Utah Flash and Maine will use systems very close to those of the NBA teams.

ChumpDumper is like the ChipBrown of the Austin Toros.

ChumpDumper
06-25-2010, 08:19 PM
ChumpDumper is like the ChipBrown of the Austin Toros.I don't know if I can do that thing with my hair though.

lurker23
06-25-2010, 11:14 PM
I don't know if it was necessarily Richard's intenet, but it could really be to his advantage playing in the D-League, as far as him joining the Spurs is concerned, as the Toros run the same system. Seems like a good strategy to reduce his learnig curve and have some of that corporate knowledge coming in, if he gets a chance. Is this the case for all D league teams, though? Do they all run the 'parent teams' schemes?

It could really be to his advantage monetarily too. If the Spurs bring him over, they'll be forced to give him an NBA contract (probably more $$ than he's made in a single year thus far), and will likely only last 1-2 years (unless Spurs use part of MLE/LLE to give him 3+). Then, if he develops well, he'll be one step closer to one of those ridiculous contracts (be it from the Spurs, or elsewhere) that teams like to give NBA big men.

4down
06-28-2010, 10:33 AM
No, although typically a player who is sent down to an affiliate will have some plays sent down with him and a list of things they would like the D-League team to concentrate on. The single-affiliate teams like the Toros and others who work very closely with NBA teams like the Utah Flash and Maine will use systems very close to those of the NBA teams.

Ah, that makes a lot of sense. It seems all too logical to have plug and play (to an extent) backups in the pipeline.

It could really be to his advantage monetarily too. If the Spurs bring him over, they'll be forced to give him an NBA contract (probably more $$ than he's made in a single year thus far), and will likely only last 1-2 years (unless Spurs use part of MLE/LLE to give him 3+). Then, if he develops well, he'll be one step closer to one of those ridiculous contracts (be it from the Spurs, or elsewhere) that teams like to give NBA big men.

Huh, I didn't even think of that factor - I assumed he would make less with the Toros, but forgot that he gets an NBA contract. for some reason I thought that only applied to First round picks. i wonder if that turned a couple of budget conscious teams off from him thinking he was trying to pigeonhole his team into a contract. I thought D-leaguers got pretty mediocre salaries.

K-State Spur
06-28-2010, 11:56 AM
ChumpDumper is like the ChipBrown of the Austin Toros.

Purposely fed information (most true, but some not) so that the Toros can use him as a mouthpiece to gauge public and political reaction to various scenarios?

dbestpro
06-28-2010, 12:17 PM
If I am not mistaken I thought I read where Bruno said Richards was under contract this summer in Europe and will not be able to attend the summer league.