PDA

View Full Version : The (15-Million Dollar) Situation - Part 1

Mel_13
06-25-2010, 04:48 PM
Interesting takes on the RJ situation. Long article, but definitely worth the read:

For the past 20 years the small forward position has been a vital component for the San Antonio Spurs success. From Sean Elliott to Bruce Bowen, the Spurs have been fortunate having a versatile and reliable defender manning the small forward position. Luckily enough, these two players were also automatic riflemen from the perimeter (most specifically the short- corner 3) as David Robinson, Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker all garnered Wendy Peffercorn-like attention year after year; consequently leaving these two lethal unguarded snipers locked, loaded and ready to fire. Elliott and Bowen's ability to hit their mark enhanced the team's overall efficiency and resulted in a well-oiled offensive machine throughout their successful Spurs tenure.

Unfortunately, as the baton was relayed to Richard Jefferson a year ago, he wasn't the replacement part the Spurs thought they traded in for; which didn't allow the Spurs to shift into fifth-gear and cruise through the regular-season and playoffs to meet their lofty expectations.......

Continue reading here:

http://reigningblack.blogspot.com/

tdunk21
06-25-2010, 05:04 PM
:toast

SpursTillTheEnd
06-25-2010, 05:09 PM
man i aint about to read all that just break it down... will rj leave i fucking hope so fuck rj \

Bender
06-25-2010, 05:42 PM
man i aint about to read all that just break it down...
I read the whole thing... it took a few minutes... but I survived.

spursfan1000
06-25-2010, 05:48 PM
I read the whole thing... it took a few minutes... but I survived.

:danceclub

TwelveGs210
06-25-2010, 05:56 PM
It was actually a pretty good read. I dont really like RJ too much considering how big is contract is, but he brings out a good point in the comparison of a scenario of having RJ and Anderson share minutes, or have Anderson and a aging vet to share minutes at the SF. We wont have much money to replace RJ with Tiago saying he wants to play in the NBA, i agree with the guy we're better off with him.

EricD
06-25-2010, 08:03 PM
R.J just needs to be waived already. I don't care to read that novel..

Can anyone give a summary or is it even worth it?

Cane
06-25-2010, 08:08 PM
Can anyone give a summary

TL/DR:

RJ needs to get his 3 point shooting back with the help of Chip. Needs to work on his defensive focus even if he lacks the lateral quickness to be Bowen/Sean Elli0tt. Showed only glimpses of these qualities but potential's there with Spurs and its a contract year. Could lose some weight to help lateral quickness.

Won't be able to find worthwhile talent if RJ opts out. Would you rather have RJ and Anderson or Anderson and a vet-min player past his prime?

ohmwrecker
06-25-2010, 08:13 PM
The Spurs have to keep Jefferson. There will be no one at his talent level on the FA market who they can afford.

BronxCowboy
06-25-2010, 08:17 PM
Is it coincidence that the posters hoping for Jefferson to opt out/be waved are the same posters who are too lazy or disinterested to read the article for themselves?

ohmwrecker
06-25-2010, 08:19 PM
Is it coincidence that the posters hoping for Jefferson to opt out/be waved are the same posters who are too lazy or disinterested to read the article for themselves?

I would say . . . no.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-25-2010, 08:22 PM
This somewhat ties into a thread I was thinking of making about Chip Engelland.

Just WTF is he doing on the team anyways? In my opinion, the noticable results of him being on the coaching staff may not warrant him being here.

For instance. We saw improvement with Parker. But is he the Spurs Shooting Coach or Parker's Shooting Coach?

Supposedly all the broadcasters kept saying George Hill worked by himself over the summer to improve his corner three.

Beyond George's corner three and Parker's long range jumper improvement (euphemism for he still can't hit threes reliably and his speed will start slowing down now that he's in his late 20's) who else has improved their shooting?
Everyone on the team but Ginobili pretty much blew nuts at free throws.

Who is Chip working with?

What does he do exactly?

I pray to the gods he's working with RJ this summer day in and day out.

EricD
06-25-2010, 08:31 PM
TL/DR:

RJ needs to get his 3 point shooting back with the help of Chip. Needs to work on his defensive focus even if he lacks the lateral quickness to be Bowen/Sean Elli0tt. Showed only glimpses of these qualities but potential's there with Spurs and its a contract year. Could lose some weight to help lateral quickness.

Won't be able to find worthwhile talent if RJ opts out. Would you rather have RJ and Anderson or Anderson and a vet-min player past his prime?

Thanks Cane :toast

EricD
06-25-2010, 08:37 PM

:rolleyes

anakha
06-25-2010, 08:52 PM

This. A thousand times, this.

Or better yet...

Is it coincidence that the posters hoping for Jefferson to opt out/be waved are the same posters who are too lazy or disinterested to think for themselves?

tdunk21
06-25-2010, 08:58 PM
article talks about the scenario if RJ decides to opt out....then we have to sign veterans....so we are better off with RJ on the roster and giving us 10-12ppg.....rather than have a veteran come in and give 5ppg.....

a very good read though.....

Mr Bones
06-25-2010, 10:39 PM

:lol It's a blog post that took about one minute to read.

Phenomanul
06-25-2010, 10:41 PM

Just WTF is he doing on the team anyways? In my opinion, the noticable results of him being on the coaching staff may not warrant him being here.

For instance. We saw improvement with Parker. But is he the Spurs Shooting Coach or Parker's Shooting Coach?

Supposedly all the broadcasters kept saying George Hill worked by himself over the summer to improve his corner three.

Beyond George's corner three and Parker's long range jumper improvement (euphemism for he still can't hit threes reliably and his speed will start slowing down now that he's in his late 20's) who else has improved their shooting?

What does he do exactly?

And with Blair....

wildbill2u
06-26-2010, 08:56 AM

What does he do exactly?

I think the players have to decide if they want instruction and will accept it.

When Chip first came in I heard that Duncan wouldn't take instrcution on his free throws. Later I saw some changes in his stance and delivery (Stopped the flat-footed squared up stance and changed to a more balanced delivery with one foot slightly back like a normal shot) but in late minutes, probably because he's tired, he always reverted to his old unbalanced delivery

ohmwrecker
06-26-2010, 09:17 AM
I think the players have to decide if they want instruction and will accept it.

When Chip first came in I heard that Duncan wouldn't take instrcution on his free throws. Later I saw some changes in his stance and delivery (Stopped the flat-footed squared up stance and changed to a more balanced delivery with one foot slightly back like a normal shot) but in late minutes, probably because he's tired, he always reverted to his old unbalanced delivery

I hate that pigeon-toed stance of his. I just want to walk out on the floor and kick his feet apart.

Interrohater
06-26-2010, 09:57 AM
I, for one, am hoping that RJ turns the corner and is able to wrap his head around the game that the Spurs play. It's an interesting predicament that the Spurs are in, but I'll continue forth with optimism.

lotr1trekkie
06-26-2010, 09:59 AM
Why would Jefferson opt-out????? He can't get 15 M for 5 years anywhere else --since Isiah left the Knicks. IMO he would be a semi-perfect fit for the second unit. Start any combination at SF depending on opponent. A second unit of Manu, Hill, Tiaggo and Blair and RJ would be tight. According to my own twisted logic, the Spurs need a starter at #2 so that Manu can play less intense minutes.

thispego
06-26-2010, 10:20 AM

:lmao :tu its painfully simple to single out the uneducated on this forum :lol

NewJerSpur
06-26-2010, 10:27 AM
His one-on-one defense on the ball is probably as good as it's going to get, which isn't all that great, BUT he can be a very good defender around the rim giving his quick leaping ability as well as a pretty good rebounder.

Whether his 3-point shooting improves remains to be seen, but the Spurs run more plays for him on the move (if he stays in SA):

1) He's not good at creating shots on his own through isos, but is VERY dangerous if he gets a step or two on a defender as there often is no one to that point that can stop him from getting off a high percentage shot.

2) It will take pressure off of guys like Tony and especially Manu from having to spoon-feed him easy buckets to keep him involved in the offense and in general keep them fresh if he can become a more viable option on that end of the floor

3) RJ getting to the rim not only keeps him motivated on both ends of the floor, but will get him to the line and the opposition in foul trouble, particularly if they have an aggressive big.

4) If he can come off a few [down]screens and attract doubles, the last screener will have leeway to roll to the basket for an easy scoring opportunity if RJ can hit them in stride the way Ray Allen has worked the screen-n-roll with KG.

His mid-range jumper definitely needs to get more consistent, especially on pullup opportunities.

ChuckD
06-26-2010, 10:33 AM
I hate that pigeon-toed stance of his. I just want to walk out on the floor and kick his feet apart.

I hate it, too, but that isn't what makes him miss. When he's going good at the line, he draws the ball up VERY close to his body, which almost automatically makes him get under it and put some arc on it. When he's going badly, he's bringing the ball up away from his body, which makes it MUCH harder to get under it and put arc on the shot.