PDA

View Full Version : Sources: Thorn to step down

Mel_13
06-25-2010, 06:35 PM
Rod Thorn will step down as president of the New Jersey Nets on July 15, according to league sources.

Thorn, the Nets president since 2000, is under contract through June 30 but will remain for two weeks to help the club through the first two weeks of the free-agency period.

Thorn is not being forced out by new owner, Russian billionaire Mikhail Prokhorov, and there is no tension between the two, according to sources.

"They've given Rod everything he could want," a league executive said. "This is entirely his decision."

The move leaves the Nets in a quandary. There is no apparent successor within the organization and the uncertainty will undoubtedly hurt the Nets' ability to recruit free agents.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nba/news/story?id=5329405

Basketballgirl25
06-25-2010, 06:46 PM
Nets are fucked now, fuck

Basketballgirl25
06-25-2010, 06:57 PM
well at least with the roster we have years ahead to win if we get a good guy to take over, so guess it's not all fucked up. But Rod Thorn was the reason the Nets did become good and he was smart enough to trade Kidd while he did, so it's bad that way

Basketballgirl25
06-25-2010, 07:12 PM
Hey girl, don't get your hopes all high. No one is coming to that shit hole.

Don't worry I don't get my hopes up high. I only do that with the Yankees and Devils, but both those teams have won a few times so most of the time things work out great. I know not to get my hopes up high with the Nets because since 1998 everytime I think something good will happen, nothing happens. Now tell me not to get my hopes up high with the Yankees I need someone to tell me that:lol

DJ Mbenga
06-25-2010, 08:05 PM
sounds like jerry west will be getting a lot of phone calls, but more than likely pricthard has a new job offer

Bob Lanier
06-25-2010, 09:54 PM
Good riddance to bad garbage.

06-25-2010, 10:33 PM
well, i know where pritchard is going.

Basketballgirl25
06-26-2010, 12:19 AM
I heard Colangelo, don't know if that is true

Goran Dragic
06-26-2010, 12:32 AM
I heard Colangelo, don't know if that is true

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

Man I feel bad for New Jersey if they hire Colangelo. Have fun winning between 45-55 games every year by overpaying 2nd and 3rd tier players while never getting past the 2nd round of the playoffs.

Mel_13
06-26-2010, 12:34 AM
Former Suns chairman and current USA basketball director Jerry Colangelo is the leading candidate to replace Thorn, who will be involved in picking his successor.
Prokhorov wants a big name and likes the job Colangelo did with the U.S. Men’s Olympic team. Colangelo also has relationships with the top free agents in the upcoming class, which could help the Nets in recruiting them as well as ease the transition from Thorn’s reign.

A league source said Colangelo will be offered a three-year deal for roughly $12 million to $15 million.

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/inthezzone/comments/colangelo_leading_candidate_for_thorns_job/

Goran Dragic
06-26-2010, 12:36 AM
Meh I guess Jerry C is better than Bryan C, but an owner who guaranteed his team a championship in the next 5 years shouldn't be involving the Colangelo family with their organization at all.

Basketballgirl25
06-26-2010, 06:21 AM
If Nets get a guy who isn't afraid to take a gamble to replace thorn I'll be happy

Mel_13
06-26-2010, 07:03 AM
From Marc Stein:

Unless, of course, Prokhorov can soften the blow with a splashy replacement hire. The Bergen Record reported on its website Friday night that Team USA chief Jerry Colangelo – who already knows a little something about recruiting James, Chris Bosh and Amare Stoudemire -- is New Jersey’s top choice.

A source with knowledge of the Nets’ thinking, meanwhile, told ESPN.com that the team also intends to sound out retired legend Jerry West to see if he has any interest in a front-office comeback, with Thorn – West’s fellow West Virginian – apparently pledging to help Prokhorov find his replacement.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/17258/nets-only-sure-whos-leaving-thorn

Trainwreck2100
06-26-2010, 08:59 AM
Step down? More like leave quietly or i'll kill your family.

Basketballgirl25
06-26-2010, 02:46 PM
well Thorn will help the Nets through the free-agent process, so hopefully Nets will get lucky and Thorn will do one last great free agent signing for the Nets and retire as the best GM in Nets history, I do have a gut feeling this could happen and most of the time my gut feelings come right so, could see that happen.

NewJerSpur
06-26-2010, 08:01 PM
Hey girl, don't get your hopes all high. No one is coming to that shit hole.

Sorry to hear you talk about Brooklyn that way Luva.....I know you weren't talking about New Jersey, the place where NEW YORKERS THEMSELVES flee to despite the cost of living over here.

Basketballgirl25
06-26-2010, 08:38 PM
Sorry to hear you talk about Brooklyn that way Luva.....I know you weren't talking about New Jersey, the place where NEW YORKERS THEMSELVES flee to despite the cost of living over here.

fun you say this, reminded me of how many people I know that say NJ Sucks, and I don't mean the team I mean the state. I for one love NJ, but I do live in NJ. I have also met a lot of people if different bands that coming touring in NJ and most of them if no all of them have said they love NJ crowds, so NJ is great for something.:toast:toast

NewJerSpur
06-26-2010, 09:13 PM
Jersey is a shit hole too. Weather so bad makes you want to slap yo mama.. Why you think your team is bolting the fuck out of there?

Again, yet it's one of the most densely populated states in this country that many (especially from surrounding "big cities"/states.....especially celebrities that are from New York) call their home DESPITE the cost of living here. The weather isn't that bad here (except for the humidity in the summer), it's average and to some actual ideal because there aren't any major, catastrophic natural phenomena you have to gear up for (e.g. earthquakes, tornados, etc.). Now for REALLY crappy weather travel further northeast and you'll reach your target.

Not that they ever were MY team per se, but I've already disowned the Nets in connection with NJ. I know they're trying to keep up with the Knicks in terms of Tri-State notariety and what not but I hope the real New York team owns them for years to come....at least until Jersey gets another team.

Basketballgirl25
06-27-2010, 07:17 AM
Jersey is a shit hole too. Weather so bad makes you want to slap yo mama.. Why you think your team is bolting the fuck out of there?

Jersey isn't a shit hole. They are moving because they couldn't sell tickets because not enough Jersey people went to the games. Nothing to do with the state I went to 20 games, but not everyone goes to games, guess fans of Lakers, Spurs, Mavs, Sixers, etc. in NJ don't like there teams enough to go to the arena and cheer them on vs Nets. Net fans don't like to go either, but they never did. So really not the state just the stupid fans who don't spend some money and see a game, the arena is Newark is easy to get to so I think much more people will go there the years they are there.

Booharv
06-27-2010, 07:48 AM
Again, yet it's one of the most densely populated states in this country that many (especially from surrounding "big cities"/states.....especially celebrities that are from New York) call their home DESPITE the cost of living here. The weather isn't that bad here (except for the humidity in the summer), it's average and to some actual ideal because there aren't any major, catastrophic natural phenomena you have to gear up for (e.g. earthquakes, tornados, etc.). Now for REALLY crappy weather travel further northeast and you'll reach your target.

Not that they ever were MY team per se, but I've already disowned the Nets in connection with NJ. I know they're trying to keep up with the Knicks in terms of Tri-State notariety and what not but I hope the real New York team owns them for years to come....at least until Jersey gets another team.

Its actually the most densely populated state in the country (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Jersey). I grew up in NJ until I was 12 its very inconsistent in terms of there being a lot of nice areas and some shitholes. The area by Newark airport smells like shit from the pollution and is/was filled with tons of abandoned industrial areas. The drive from Manhattan to Newark was harrowing in places, like a post apocalyptic wasteland with tons of abandoned buildings.

tbh it looked like New York in Escape from New York or the upstairs level from 12 Monkeys.

Either way its nicer than Pakistan to be sure.

Basketballgirl25
06-27-2010, 01:57 PM
Hey Basketballgirl25 do you know the area englewood cliffs. I was there like a week ago. Its not that ugly, but not that pretty.

Well every state has good area's and bad area's. I don't think I have been to one state that has all good area's

Veterinarian
06-27-2010, 05:44 PM

http://polosbastards.com/pb/wp-content/uploads/2006/03/P1010114.JPG

http://wondersofpakistan.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/75506-begining-of-the-trek-leading-2-yatra-of-amarnath-cave-01.jpg

http://xanthis.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/kar11105121050_pakistan_judicial_crisissff-512x349.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h174/waheedmalik/Aerial-View-of-Noshki-Desert.jpg

Wifebeater
06-27-2010, 06:41 PM
tbh you shouldn't be making fun of Pakistan. Men know how to take care of business over there.

Booharv
06-27-2010, 07:01 PM
Well every state has good area's and bad area's. I don't think I have been to one state that has all good area's

Yeah, but the area around Newark transcends or transcended just being bad or having a bad area: http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-jersey/19609-looking-waterfront-slum.html

Although it sounds like its being improved, as a kid there a while back my reaction was much like the OP's in the thread I just linked. Although I didn't want to do any faggy exploring.

Basketballgirl25
06-27-2010, 11:09 PM
Yeah, but the area around Newark transcends or transcended just being bad or having a bad area: http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-jersey/19609-looking-waterfront-slum.html

Although it sounds like its being improved, as a kid there a while back my reaction was much like the OP's in the thread I just linked. Although I didn't want to do any faggy exploring.

Depends where you go in Newark that is bad. I'll been many times to see Devils and around arena not so bad, I've also been to Camden and I fear for my life down there:lol