PDA

View Full Version : NBA.COM Draft Review: Spurs

tomtom
06-26-2010, 02:09 AM
NBA.com gives a pretty good break down

http://www.nba.com/video/channels/nba_tv/2010/06/25/20100625_sas_draft_review.nba/

Chieflion
06-26-2010, 02:13 AM
Thanks. Appreciate it. Your Blazers did well in the draft, although you guys ended up losers cause Pritchard was gone.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-26-2010, 02:23 AM
Nice :tu.
Aldridge puts it nicely.

kbrury
06-26-2010, 02:26 AM
Ryan Richards from Spain. :lol

DesignatedT
06-26-2010, 02:26 AM
nice. some good love for the spurs.

Cane
06-26-2010, 02:34 AM
"Spurs are the best organization in the NBA" :toast

God damn this city is lucky to have such a great franchise. :flag:

kbrury
06-26-2010, 02:35 AM
And another guy who says describes Anderson with playing defense. I guess since he will be playing a limited role offensivley he will be able to go back to playing defense like in his sophmore year.

xellos88330
06-26-2010, 03:15 AM
And another guy who says describes Anderson with playing defense. I guess since he will be playing a limited role offensivley he will be able to go back to playing defense like in his sophmore year.

I was thinking about this earlier today. He won't have to work as hard on offense considering the Spurs have the personnel to get him good looks, leaving his energy for the defensive end. I am already salivating for next season.

Thank god for the World Cup, otherwise I would be a miserable man right now.

Calavera
06-26-2010, 06:57 AM
the best organization in NBA :) true, true

Spurs Brazil
06-26-2010, 08:48 AM
great video
thanks

SenorSpur
06-26-2010, 09:47 AM
I stayed up very late to catch the repeat of this telecast. Good stuff.

Aldridge was "dead on". This gradual roster overhaul isn't by accident. Hill, Blair and Anderson in consecutive drafts is pretty damn impressive. Now everyone can see, not only the value of "retaining" draft picks, but also making "smart" decisions with those picks. Proving yet again, why "the Spurs ARE the best organization in sports."

Thanks for posting.

Mel_13
06-26-2010, 09:53 AM
I stayed up very late to catch the repeat of this telecast. Good stuff.

Aldridge was "dead on". This gradual roster overhaul isn't by accident. Hill, Blair and Anderson in consecutive drafts is pretty damn impressive. Now everyone can see, not only the value of "retaining" draft picks, but also making "smart" decisions with those picks. Proving yet again, why "the Spurs ARE the best organization in sports."

Thanks for posting.

It's really amazing that this isn't noticed more. If you look at the 15 man roster at the end of the 2008 WCF, you will see that 11 of the 15 players were over 30 and that Tony was the only rotation player under 30. There has been a remarkable change in just two years, all the while remaining a 50 win team.

nbaman99
06-26-2010, 12:40 PM
Great video. Finally people see us the right way. Thanks.

Blackjack
06-26-2010, 01:04 PM
It's really amazing that this isn't noticed more. If you look at the 15 man roster at the end of the 2008 WCF, you will see that 11 of the 15 players were over 30 and that Tony was the only rotation player under 30. There has been a remarkable change in just two years, all the while remaining a 50 win team.

And it's not like it's a new thing, either.

The Spurs have been turning over their roster to meet the needs of today and/or tomorrow for years now. Just think about since '03 where they won a championship in their transition year and followed the next year with an overhaul so complete Pop had legitimate reason to not believe they were "defending champions."

Then it became all about overhauling the supporting cast with proven vets to compliment the Big 4 (if you didn't know Bowen was part of it, now you do) to accommodate a win-now mode. They hurt themselves with that mentality, going pretty much solely with older vets in the immediacy, but it's hard to kill them for it when it was an attempt to capitalize on a championship window -- it's a fine line that most aren't able to navigate.

But since the Big 3's shown more wear and tear and chinks in the armor, the Spurs have started to look for a different kind of help from their supporting cast. It's not operating on the periphery anymore that's being sought, it's actual contributors that can enhance rather than be enhanced by the Big 3.

I've definitely had my disagreements with the Spurs and their approach over the last few years with regards to how they've neglected to augment the team with some more relevant youth in the lineup, but they've done a pretty remarkable job considering.

Let's just hope this transitioning leads to an extension of their championship window for the remainder of Duncan's tenure and that it's not just a means to keep the team respectable after his departure.

DPG21920
06-26-2010, 01:29 PM
Very honest and smart recap. Spurs have done a great job. As a fan, you can't argue with what they have done. Sure, some moves did not work out as hoped, but they do everything with the intention of winning and being a responsible franchise.

Amazing job.

SenorSpur
06-26-2010, 04:35 PM
And it's not like it's a new thing, either.
I've definitely had my disagreements with the Spurs and their approach over the last few years with regards to how they've neglected to augment the team with some more relevant youth in the lineup, but they've done a pretty remarkable job considering.

Same here. There was a time where I criticized them for drafting way too may Euro players, at the expense of solid collegiate ball players. I'm particularly happy that they moved away from that "all Euro, all the time", draft strategy.

Overall, the FO deserves a ton of props for the gradual retooling.

Spursfan092120
06-26-2010, 05:05 PM
Got a possible lottery pick at 20 and a great project player in the second round. Another good draft by the Spurs.. :tu

spursfan1000
06-26-2010, 05:19 PM
Good video. thanks.

angelbelow
06-26-2010, 06:31 PM
pretty cool breakdown, everyone should watch when they get some time