PDA

View Full Version : The 2010-2011 San Antonio Spurs

Spurs Brazil
06-26-2010, 08:42 AM
Of course the 1st priority is sign Tiago and after him we need to go after a SF. With the money we'll have I can only think about 3 players: J.Jones, R.Gomes and R.Butler. I like Outlaw, M.Miller and Korver but I don't think we can get them with the LLE.

On the wings we'll have RJ, Manu and Anderson with Hill also playing in there as a SG. If we can get one of those 3 guys I mentioned I'd be happy and my 1st choice would be Jones. Then I think Gee and Malik will fight for the 5th spot.

The bigs situation would be: Tiago, Dice, TD and Blair. I think Richards can be the 6th big but we need more experience with the 5th big, since Pop will probably try to rest TD and Dice. Who do you think is the better fit for that spot? Ian, Bonner or a minimum free agent?

At PG we have Tony and Hill but as the 3rd PG who would you like: Temple or a vet? I don't see many options in FA, maybe E.Watson or Pargo.

Bigs
Tiago/Dice/Duncan/Blair/Bonner or Ian or FA/Richards
Wings
RJ/Jones or other FA/Manu/Anderson/Malik or Gee
PG
Tony/Hill/FA or Temple

My questions are:
Do you like those options at backup SF?
Who's the best option as 5th big: Ian Bonner or FA?
Who's the best option as a 3rd PG: Temple or FA?

timtonymanu
06-26-2010, 08:58 AM
Isn't Ryan Gomes under contract still? But yea I do think Butler and Jones are in our price range and I would prefer Butler but I'd be happy with Jones too.

I hope we can resign Ian but I dont know if it's gonna benifit him if all he does is just sit on the bench again. Hopefully Richards is impressive because he could be our 5th big.

As far as PG's, Temple makes sense. He was pretty impressive when he played and he should be better next season. What about Curtis Jerrells?

What do you guys think the starting lineup/rotation will be? Assuming all these things work out.

Splitter/Blair/Ian or Richards
Duncan/Dice
Jefferson/Butler or Jones/Malik or Gee
Anderson/Manu
Tony/Hill/Temple or Jerrells

Spurs Brazil
06-26-2010, 09:01 AM
Isn't Ryan Gomes under contract still?

Yes, but he may be waived

It is unclear if Gomes will actually play for the Blazers next season. His contract, which runs through the 2012-2013 season, features a team option that must be exercised by June 30 and would guarantee the final two years at more than $4 million per season. If the Blazers elect not to exercise the option and waive Gomes, they would be on the hook for only $1 million this season and $2 million over the final two years.

Potentially, the Blazers could shave salary from their payroll and add salary cap flexibility. http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4448389&postcount=6

ohmwrecker
06-26-2010, 09:08 AM
I know James Jones is the consensus pick, and he can shoot for sure, but he is not a defender or athlete like Travis Outlaw. I'm afraid the Spurs are going to come up short when it comes to filling up that back up SF position. Hairston and/or Gee aren't going to cut it.

I'm not really concerned about a 5th big. If we have Splitter, it becomes less of an issue. I just want Bonner off this team. I understand the concern is having a "stretch 4", but if McDyess is on with his 15ft jumper, that solves the issue. You don't necessarily have to be a 3pt shooter to stretch the floor.

I would be willing to give Temple another go in limited minutes, but the majority of the ball handling needs to go to Tony and Manu. Hopefully, Hill makes another big leap, but he still has some major flaws as a backup PG.

timtonymanu
06-26-2010, 09:11 AM
Travis Outlaw is actually my preferred backup SF but unfortunately I dont think he's gonna come here for cheap. Please come here Outlaw.

Darkwaters
06-26-2010, 09:18 AM
1) Assuming no trades or significant changes (ie, Splitter takes most of the MLE and comes over) to the assumed plan, I think you're looking at an LLE or slightly higher signee for the backup SF slot. The names that I like are James Jones and Rasual Butler. Both would be great for us - especially Butler as he is also a competent 3 point shooter. Outlaw would be ok, but I place him below those other two.

2) I'm not really sure who is available as far as vet bigs go - but I think that you have to consider Ian first. Hes still young, oozing with potential and knows the system. But is he worth a damn? Thats up to the coaches and scouts who know and see him everyday. I can't answer that. If they think he is worthy of the spot they should sign him to be big #5 as hes already vetted into the complicated Spurs system. Anyone else will struggle for at least a while to pick it up. Beyond him I'm not sure. I'd say either a vet defensive big that blocks shots (ie, last year's Ratliff) or a savvy stretch four not named Bonner. I'm thinking the defensive route is far more likely.

3) 3rd PG should definitely go to Temple for a couple of reasons. First - Mason will no longer be on the squad along with his point guard "skills" meaning that 3rd PG slot needs to be filled. The Manu/Barry experiment worked in part a few years ago, but with that spare combo guard gone and Manu a few years older I won't hold my breath. Secondly - this year's veteran PG crop is shallow: Duhon, Felton, Pargo, E Watson, Ridnour...not a whole lot. Temple has experience in the system and has proven that he can produce. Lastly - Temple's size affords us a few unique and intriguing bonuses. Firstly, he can play some two guard if necessary and likely guard the 1-2-3. The fact that he had success as a defender last year on this level is helpful too. Secondly, with Hill struggling to develop PG skills, and yet lacking the size to play SG full time, Temple is like a match made in heaven. Playing them together negates the size disadvantage of Hill at the 2 as they can simply switch off on either end of the court: Temple playing the 1 on offense and the 2 on defense and vice versa. Temple needs to stay at least one more season.

Cane
06-26-2010, 09:18 AM
My questions are:

Backup SF - Yea looks like it'll be between RJ, Malik, Anderson, and possibly Manu at times. Spurs will likely sign a defensive-minded vet-min SF at this position to give it some needed size since RJ is really the only one here with height, bulk, and length. Not sure if I like these options since we haven't seen them take on the likes of Durant, Carmelo, Odom, etc.

One thing's for sure though: we need some quality help since even guys like Jared Dudley and Ron Artest are able to bully the Spurs with their size and length and cash in on easy points in the paint and easy rebounds. Spurs can't win if they aren't able to prevent such easy opportunities.

5th Big - I like whoever will sign the cheapest. Between Bonner and Ian, I think the Spurs will choose the Red Rocket since he offers 3 point shooting. He was having a great season last year until breaking his hand so maybe he'll be better too. Ian seems redundant with Blair and Tiago, and it'd probably be in his best interest if he could log regular minutes elsewhere. I don't think Richards will see real time on the Spurs unless there's injuries. He should be sent to the Toros though.

3rd PG - Was impressed with Temple although his own offense really consists of the corner 3 and driving to the paint. Everywhere else he seemed to be below average at in his short time with the Spurs. I'm impressed because he was a nobody that quickly came into the role and was able to initiate the pick and roll offense the Spurs love. His efforts helped the Spurs land a playoffs spot, we should see him back.

BadOne
06-26-2010, 10:33 AM
I guess we won't know anything for sure until after the summer league. Even then, Pop and & R.C. do things at random sometimes, yet it works.

Personally, I haven't seen enough of Alonzo Gee in the D-League to see what I think. Likewise about Malik Hariston due his own lack of playing time, [though he did see more this year]. I guess with what Malik has been given, so far, I'm not impressed. Similar to James Gist in the summer league, this could be a make or break summer leauge for Malik. They could package him or trade him for cash to another team if he doesn't convince them in the off season [IMO].

As for the bigs, Splitter is obviously the most important piece. After that, It's TD, Dyess and Blair. I can't beleive some people are still calling for Mahinmi or even Bonner. Out of the two, [I hate to say] Bonner is likely who they'd re-sign, but I hope not. Ian may have potential, but that ship has sailed. With the Spurs, he's a bust man. As I've said before, this may be at the fault of the coaching staff and not Ian himself, but overall, time to move on. I don't think the majority of Spurs fans want Bonner back either. Unlike Mason, Bonner rediscovered his shooting touch during the season, however just like Mason, Bonner dissapeared in the playoffs. I know that Tim isn't an arrogant guy or anything like that, but I can't imagine how he'll feel if he's surrounded by the likes of Bonner, Bogans, Mahinmi, or Mason again next year. He know's he can't keep carrying this team.

Its going to be exciting to see what if anything happens with RJ. If he can either be moved or do the noble thing and opt out, the Spurs can try to find a new starting SF instead of a backup. James Jones would be good as would Travis Outlaw. Then they're always the Gee and Hariston projects, but they seem too short to play the 3 spot. In any case, here's to July 1st, when even more movement may begin. :toast I know the FO will do their best.

Spurs Brazil
06-26-2010, 12:47 PM
If RJ opt out he'll hurt the Spurs more than help. We'll have no SFs and no money

Thompson
06-26-2010, 05:35 PM
Can you trade more than one player in a sign-and-trade?

What about a three way trade between Memphis, S.A. and Philadelphia involving Jefferson to the 76ers, Iguadala (+ filler) to the Grizzlies, and Gay (+ filler) sign-and-trade to S.A.?

Philadelphia gets rid of Andre's long contract (which they've said they need to do since drafting Turner) and gets an expiring in return. Memphis gets something instead of losing Gay for nothing (it's apparently hard to attract talent in Memphis, as draft players refusing to work out for them shows), and we get Gay and maybe Sam Young as a backup SF or some other filler.

This next part is probably over the top, but maybe Thabeet if they're trying to get rid of him (he has a team option after this next year, so it would be an expiring at worst); I read they were trying to trade O.J. Mayo, but that may not be a likely addition with giving them Hill or more.

Any chance (of the first part anyway) of something like this happening?

spursfan1000
06-26-2010, 05:42 PM
Of course the 1st priority is sign Tiago and after him we need to go after a SF. With the money we'll have I can only think about 3 players: J.Jones, R.Gomes and R.Butler. I like Outlaw, M.Miller and Korver but I don't think we can get them with the LLE.

On the wings we'll have RJ, Manu and Anderson with Hill also playing in there as a SG. If we can get one of those 3 guys I mentioned I'd be happy and my 1st choice would be Jones. Then I think Gee and Malik will fight for the 5th spot.

The bigs situation would be: Tiago, Dice, TD and Blair. I think Richards can be the 6th big but we need more experience with the 5th big, since Pop will probably try to rest TD and Dice. Who do you think is the better fit for that spot? Ian, Bonner or a minimum free agent?

At PG we have Tony and Hill but as the 3rd PG who would you like: Temple or a vet? I don't see many options in FA, maybe E.Watson or Pargo.

Bigs
Wings
PG
Tony/Hill/FA or Temple

My questions are:

I'm not as much as a Bonner hater as most of the Spurstalk members on here but he is just a bust, it's not like he ever had potential of anything but last year he couldent make the 3 at a constant rate, so whats the point of keeping him? if he isnt making the 3, hes useless, he can't rebound, can't defend. So I would like Ian just because he is more athletic, can defend better most likely, and can rebound better which a center is supposed to do.

I would love for Spurs to get Gomes or Butler as the backup SF, they both have that 3 that is a must need for the Spurs and they arent the worst defenders out there, but the question is if they want to come over here and if we can afford them or not.

I like Temple a lot, I think it would be a wise decision for the Spurs to keep Temple, he did really well when he got the playing time, lets give him a full year as a Spur and lets see what he can do.

spursfan1000
06-26-2010, 05:43 PM

What about a three way trade between Memphis, S.A. and Philadelphia involving Jefferson to the 76ers, Iguadala (+ filler) to the Grizzlies, and Gay (+ filler) sign-and-trade to S.A.?

Philadelphia gets rid of Andre's long contract (which they've said they need to do since drafting Turner) and gets an expiring in return. Memphis gets something instead of losing Gay for nothing (it's apparently hard to attract talent in Memphis, as draft players refusing to work out for them shows), and we get Gay and maybe Sam Young as a backup SF or some other filler.

This next part is probably over the top, but maybe Thabeet if they're trying to get rid of him (he has a team option after this next year, so it would be an expiring at worst); I read they were trying to trade O.J. Mayo, but that may not be a likely addition with giving them Hill or more.

I don't think the Grizzlies will give Gay for cheap even if they know he is leaving.

Spurs Brazil
06-26-2010, 05:48 PM
I'm not as much as a Bonner hater as most of the Spurstalk members on here but he is just a bust, it's not like he ever had potential of anything but last year he couldent make the 3 at a constant rate, so whats the point of keeping him? if he isnt making the 3, hes useless, he can't rebound, can't defend. So I would like Ian just because he is more athletic, can defend better most likely, and can rebound better which a center is supposed to do.

I think the big problem with Bonner is money. How much the Spurs will offer to a guy who will probably be the 5th big?

I don't have any problem with Bonner as a 5th big but last season he earned more than $ 3 million and I don't see Spurs offering something near that.

Mel_13
06-26-2010, 05:49 PM

Aside from any other issues with that proposed trade, and there are several, just consider this:

Iggy is under contract for 4 more years at 56.5M. Rudy will be a restricted FA this summer, so Memphis can match any offer he gets. If Memphis was willing to pay a contract as big as Iggy's, why not just keep Rudy?

A max contract for Rudy would start at 14M, while Iggy will make 12.3M next year. I really don't think there's much chance that any team will offer Rudy a max contract, so Rudy probably gets the same or less than Iggy.

Can't see it from the Memphis perspective. Also, doubt that the Spurs would take on a long-term contract or that Philly would do a straight salary dump for Iggy.

Thompson
06-26-2010, 05:50 PM
Yeah, I'd rather keep Ian over Bonner. I'm not sure Ian will stay without an assurance of more playing time, though, and I don't think Pop will give it. Are there any Spurs insiders who know why Ian didn't get more time last year (especially early in the year) when he showed as much as he did in the glimpses he was allowed? There might be a good reason, but I'd sure like to hear what it is.

spursfan1000
06-26-2010, 05:52 PM
I think the big problem with Bonner is money. How much the Spurs will offer to a guy who will probably be the 5th big?

I don't have any problem with Bonner as a 5th big but last season he earned more than $ 3 million and I don't see Spurs offering something near that.

I don't even want Spurs to go after Bonner, if you look at championsip teams, they don't have a outside shooting big man in the rotation. (maybe rasheed on Celtics but he also posts up and defends). Mahammi would also probably be cheaper.

Thompson
06-26-2010, 05:53 PM
I didn't know Rudy was restricted. That pretty much kills that idea, unless he insists on a trade (I think I remember reading he wasn't very happy there). Probably no shot, though.

clubalien
06-26-2010, 05:55 PM
this is our likely roster
tony>temple
manu>anderson
rj>paul george
tim>blair
splitter>dice

still not good enough to beat the lebron bulls or the gasol lakers if manu is injured

Mel_13
06-26-2010, 05:56 PM
tony>temple
manu>anderson
rj>paul george
tim>blair
splitter>dice

still not good enough to beat the lebron bulls or the gasol lakers if manu is injured

So the Pacers are giving us Paul George for George Hill?

Ok

clubalien
06-26-2010, 05:57 PM
Yeah, I'd rather keep Ian over Bonner. I'm not sure Ian will stay without an assurance of more playing time, though, and I don't think Pop will give it. Are there any Spurs insiders who know why Ian didn't get more time last year (especially early in the year) when he showed as much as he did in the glimpses he was allowed? There might be a good reason, but I'd sure like to hear what it is.

ian is a great bigman if he had more minutes he could scare splitter away from signing a contract.

splitter wants to start in the nba and not fight ian for mins

once we sign splitter

we can then sign ian and let them both dominate

spursfan1000
06-26-2010, 05:57 PM
tony>temple
manu>anderson
rj>paul george
tim>blair
splitter>dice

Where do you get George from?

Thompson
06-26-2010, 05:58 PM
ian is a great bigman if he had more minutes he could scare splitter away from signing a contract.

once we sign splitter

:lol I'm not sure if that is the reason, but I sure hope it is.

Mel_13
06-26-2010, 05:58 PM
I didn't know Rudy was restricted. That pretty much kills that idea, unless he insists on a trade (I think I remember reading he wasn't very happy there). Probably no shot, though.

Yeah, restricted FAs don't have much leverage. Rudy needs to find a team willing to tie up its cap space in an offer sheet for 7 days. As David Lee found out last summer, that can be hard to do.

spursfan1000
06-26-2010, 05:59 PM

once we sign splitter

If Splitter signs with the Spurs there is like no doubt he will start for us. Ian hasnt really gotten enough minutes to show what he can really do! This year he either got big garbage minutes or he didn't play.

clubalien
06-26-2010, 06:00 PM
pacers send him to us

clubalien
06-26-2010, 06:02 PM
So the Pacers are giving us Paul George for George Hill?

Ok

Where do you get George from?

If Splitter signs with the Spurs there is like no doubt he will start for us. Ian hasnt really gotten enough minutes to show what he can really do! This year he either got big garbage minutes or he didn't play.

i don't doubt he WILL start for us.

But him being afraid of not starting with scola,ian, etc has nothing to do with what he thinks or what the front office think he thinks

Vic Petro
06-26-2010, 06:09 PM
Given that Richards is likely to go to Austin and eat a roster spot, I'd expect us to go the full 15 despite the luxury tax problems.

PG: Parker, Hill, Temple. Jerrels gets cut
SG: Ginobili, Anderson, Gee, Hairston
SF: Jefferson. Backup will be an LLE player or whats left over of the MLE after Tiago signs. Outlaw would be great but likely too costly, so I think we'd be down to Butler/Jones.
PF: Duncan, Blair. The 3rd here will be cheap...basically it'll be Ian or Bonner. And for those that think it'll be Ian, well, you don't know Pop as well as you should. He'll take Bonner 10x before Ian. Stretch 4! Stretch 4! Stretch 4!
C: Splitter, McDyess, Richards

So...

Parker/Hill/Temple
Ginobili/Anderson/Gee/Hairston
Richards/{Outlaw-Butler-Jones}
Duncan/Blair/Bonner
Splitter/McDyess/Richards

spursfan1000
06-26-2010, 06:11 PM
Given that Richards is likely to go to Austin and eat a roster spot, I'd expect us to go the full 15 despite the luxury tax problems.

PG: Parker, Hill, Temple. Jerrels gets cut
SG: Ginobili, Anderson, Gee, Hairston
SF: Jefferson. Backup will be an LLE player or whats left over of the MLE after Tiago signs. Outlaw would be great but likely too costly, so I think we'd be down to Butler/Jones.
PF: Duncan, Blair. The 3rd here will be cheap...basically it'll be Ian or Bonner. And for those that think it'll be Ian, well, you don't know Pop as well as you should. He'll take Bonner 10x before Ian. Stretch 4! Stretch 4! Stretch 4!
C: Splitter, McDyess, Richards

So...

Parker/Hill/Temple
Ginobili/Anderson/Gee/Hairston
Richards/{Outlaw-Butler-Jones}
Duncan/Blair/Bonner
Splitter/McDyess/Richards

Damn we are going to have 2 richards :lol

Vic Petro
06-26-2010, 06:13 PM
Damn we are going to have 2 richards :lol

Shit.

TD 21
06-26-2010, 06:44 PM
Gomes, Outlaw and Butler will all be most likely out of the Spurs price range. Jones likely won't be, but why, when the Spurs are looking to get younger and more athletic, block Anderson and Hairston at the expense of a marginal - minimal veteran? Jones offers more versatility defensively, but his primary role the Spurs have filled with Anderson. I thought if the Spurs were to draft a guy like Williams, who probably isn't ready for rotation minutes, can't play SF and doesn't offer the three-point shooting that Anderson does, that it made sense to sign Jones.

Everyone keeps talking about a backup three, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Spurs go with Hairston as the primary backup SF (if you really think about Hairston's game, despite his lack of size, he really is more of an SF, like Udoka), with Anderson and Ginobili playing some SF as well. Gee is another option, though I suspect he'll primarily play with the Toros. None are true, prototypical SF's, but neither is T. Allen, Pietrus or Bryant, Smith/Afflalo, etc., who all either on occasion or consistently play backup SF for their teams.

It's hypocritical to constantly say, as so many of you do, "I like Hairston, give him a chance", then on the other hand say, "go sign a minimal, veteran wing". The guy played four years in college and has spent the better part of two years developing in the D-League. It's time to give him a legit opportunity to be a rotation player.

I think primarily what we're likely to see is a three guard rotation with Parker, Hill and Ginobili, with one of Anderson or Hairston, depending on match-up, backing up Jefferson. Throughout most games, I suspect the one playing less still finds spot minutes. Basically, what we saw toward the end of the season with Mason and Bogans.

ohmwrecker
06-26-2010, 06:49 PM
Shit.

I don't think there is anyway that both Gee and Hairston make the final cut. Too similar. Trade filler?

Thompson
06-26-2010, 07:10 PM
As far as standing reach is concerned, Anderson actually has a slightly better reach (8'8") than Hairston (8'7.5") unless Hairston has grown some since being drafted. Whether that means we might ever use Anderson at SF I don't know, but at least he has a decent standing reach.

For comparison with other some other small forwards, Gordan Hayward only has a standing reach of 8'7", and Babbitt slightly more than Anderson at 8'8.5". I read somewhere else on spurstalk that Pop views the 2/3 position as interchangeable anyway, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Anderson/Hairston both given a shot at backup SF early in the season to see if either can handle it.

Spursfan 87
06-26-2010, 08:12 PM
We need a reliable big man as the 5th big. Ian is a waste of money and a waste of time, the guy is just a foul machine. Bonner... no thanks. I'll go with Oberto for the minimum, a reliable player who's not going to complaing about his minutes, knows the system, he can still do the dirty job and can be a mentor for Splitter and Blair.

Thompson
06-26-2010, 08:31 PM
Oberto has heart problems and can't really score. He's also older and slower.

WeaponX225
06-26-2010, 08:35 PM
What about Tmac? I think he would be a great backup SF.

spursfan1000
06-26-2010, 08:38 PM
What about Tmac? I think he would be a great backup SF.

No thanks, hes declined a bunch and is injury prone.

FuzzyLumpkins
06-26-2010, 09:04 PM
I am actually interested to see how Hairston develops. Whether or not you like him Popovich has given him mintues and although he did not play him in the playoffs he continued giving him minutes down the stretch.

Its also not a given that Splitter would start right off the bat. Popovich has a hard on for vets and is reluctant with rookies. Yes, there was Parker but thats an isolated incident.

Biggems
06-26-2010, 09:45 PM
Sign UDFAs Koshwal and Blakely

C - Splitter, McDyess, Richards
PF - Duncan, Blair, Koshwal
SF - Jefferson, Hairston, Blakely
SG - Manu, Anderson, Gee
PG - Parker, Hill, Temple

Blakely can spend the season in Austin. Richards and Koshwal can rotate trips to Austin, if that is possible.

spursfaninla
06-26-2010, 09:51 PM
I don't even want Spurs to go after Bonner, if you look at championsip teams, they don't have a outside shooting big man in the rotation. (maybe rasheed on Celtics but he also posts up and defends). Mahammi would also probably be cheaper.

Odom can shoot the 3.

Pau can shoot an outside shot.

Bynum is their only rotation big that has no outside shot.

You really can't have two bigs on the floor who both can't at least hit a mid-range jumper, because it is too easy to clog the lane in that case.

We have always had a big who could be on the floor and hit at least the mid-range. A big hitting the 3 pulls the big defender out even further, making rebounding easier on us.

PHX has several bigmen who can shoot the 3. Dirk is a classic example.

Drob had a great 15 footer.

Now, if you have several bigmen who can all score in the post, then great, do that. Since those are becoming more and more rare, it is easier to instead get a face-up guy who can make a jump shot, and in theory help on the boards.

Not saying I love it, I just recognize it is the second best thing to a real post player.

TD 21
06-28-2010, 11:49 PM

Bigs
Wings
PG
Tony/Hill/FA or Temple

My questions are:

I don't think the Spurs have to sign a veteran SF. They have Anderson, Ginobili, Hairston and Gee to backup Jefferson. Having Anderson (Ginobili and Hill will see the majority of the minutes at SG, so he'll likely play a decent amount of SF) fall into their laps allows them to take a wait-and-see approach. They can watch Hairston and Gee in Summer League before making a determination.

Considering that they've spent two years developing Hairston, paid a decent amount to pry Gee away from the Wizards, have stated that they want to get more athletic and the fact that they have a bloated payroll that's on the verge of becoming even more bloated (assuming Splitter signs), I think it's safe to say that they'd like to have the back half of their roster be as inexpensive as possible.

Of the names you mentioned, only Jones is realistic for what they can offer. If they sign a veteran SF, it'll likely have to be someone of that caliber. Even if they sign a veteran SF for the minimum, he'd cost double that because the Spurs are a tax paying team. Jones is longer and would offer more defensive versatility, but he'd be somewhat redundant, since the Spurs have Anderson to fill the wing shooter role off the bench.

It's similar reasoning as to why Ratliff was dealt. They traded him because they were concerned with their payroll and felt they had a young player who could provide what Ratliff could and potentially more.

In terms of the fifth big spot, Bonner is too expensive to be a fifth big on this team, Mahinmi is less likely to get consistent playing time next season than he did last season (assuming Splitter is signed) and Richards is too inexperienced. I think the most likely option is Tolliver. Inexpensive, young, has a history with the organization, is a decent range shooter out to three and is good enough (at least based on his showing with the Warriors) to be in the rotation in games that Duncan or McDyess sit. Another option is Novak. Though he's more of an SF than a big, he is a better shooter from three than Tolliver.

At the point, I think the Spurs are set. Hill is a combo guard and Temple is largely unproven, but he played well down the stretch last season and when you have Parker, Hill and Ginobili to handle the ball and are a tax paying team, how much better a third point can you expect?

I'll preface this by saying that I expect Splitter to overtake McDyess at some point in the starting lineup next season, but to start the season, I'm predicting...

Starters: PF- Duncan, SF- Jefferson, C- McDyess, SG- Hill, PG- Parker

Bench: SG- Ginobili, C/PF- Splitter, PF- Blair, SG- Anderson, SG/SF- Hairston, PF- Tolliver, SG/PG- Temple

Inactive/D-League: SG/SF- Gee, PF/C- Richards

DesignatedT
06-29-2010, 12:14 AM
I think another factor could be how much of the MLE Splitter actually demands. Although it is most likely that the figure will be around the whole chunk (5.8mil/year) there is still a possibility that he might maybe accept 4/year and leave us with another decent chunk to pursue another player.

The guard positions are pretty much already filled with Tony/Hill/Manu/Anderson/Temple. which is exactly what i expect it to be.

Their is 1 question mark regarding this and its how effective the spurs believe hill/temple to be at the backup point. Depending on how the summer goes and what they show I definitely wouldn't be surprised to see the spurs pick up another veteran PG to be the 3rd pg in the lineup.. Could be more of a mentor than anything.

The wing position is where the focus needs to lie obviously. I would love Outlaw but as stated before not sure if he will be available for cheap. Butler/Gomes follow on the list of SF's but I definitely wouldn't be surprised to see the Spurs move into more of the direction of a Jarvis Hayes/Bobby Simmons/Damion Wilkins/Stephen Graham to fill the spot, mainly for financial reasons. I believe that Gee can play also, so depending on how he does in the SL and his ability to improve defensively can hopefully lead to him being a solid contributor and would save the spurs a lot of trouble.

Bigs are pretty much set if Splitter decides to come. Duncan/Splitter/Blair/Dice/Bonner is what I would expect the roster to consist of next season. Despite the hate that we share, I think most spurstalkers can agree that Bonner is definitely a good "5th" big man to have on the squad. (Knows the system, Has all-star type regular season games). What makes most of us want him off the squad is the love fest pop shows in his vets. If pop can refrain from playing him all the time instead of giving him finley treatment than I am totally fine having him as the 5th big on the roster, but of course that's a big IF from coach Pop.

I figure it will look something like this:

PG-Tony/Hill/Temple or Vet. PG
SG-Hill/Manu/Anderson
SF-RJ/Any of the SF's I listed above/Gee
PF-Duncan/Blair
C-Splitter/Dice/Bonner

TD 21
06-29-2010, 12:30 AM
I think another factor could be how much of the MLE Splitter actually demands. Although it is most likely that the figure will be around the whole chunk (5.8mil/year) there is still a possibility that he might maybe accept 4/year and leave us with another decent chunk to pursue another player.

The guard positions are pretty much already filled with Tony/Hill/Manu/Anderson/Temple. which is exactly what i expect it to be.

Their is 1 question mark regarding this and its how effective the spurs believe hill/temple to be at the backup point. Depending on how the summer goes and what they show I definitely wouldn't be surprised to see the spurs pick up another veteran PG to be the 3rd pg in the lineup.. Could be more of a mentor than anything.

The wing position is where the focus needs to lie obviously. I would love Outlaw but as stated before not sure if he will be available for cheap. Butler/Gomes follow on the list of SF's but I definitely wouldn't be surprised to see the Spurs move into more of the direction of a Jarvis Hayes/Bobby Simmons/Damion Wilkins/Stephen Graham to fill the spot, mainly for financial reasons. I believe that Gee can play also, so depending on how he does in the SL and his ability to improve defensively can hopefully lead to him being a solid contributor and would save the spurs a lot of trouble.

Bigs are pretty much set if Splitter decides to come. Duncan/Splitter/Blair/Dice/Bonner is what I would expect the roster to consist of next season. Despite the hate that we share, I think most spurstalkers can agree that Bonner is definitely a good "5th" big man to have on the squad. (Knows the system, Has all-star type regular season games). What makes most of us want him off the squad is the love fest pop shows in his vets. If pop can refrain from playing him all the time instead of giving him finley treatment than I am totally fine having him as the 5th big on the roster, but of course that's a big IF from coach Pop.

I figure it will look something like this:

PG-Tony/Hill/Temple or Vet. PG
SG-Hill/Manu/Anderson
SF-RJ/Any of the SF's I listed above/Gee
PF-Duncan/Blair
C-Splitter/Dice/Bonner

It's possible, but with what he's being offered to stay in Europe and what it's being reported he'll want from the Spurs, it's unlikely he takes $4 million per season. If he did, then yeah, that would potentially change the SF situation.

I agree with you, the Spurs are set at guard.

Even if the Spurs weren't overly confident in Hill/Temple (which I don't believe to be the case), given their other needs and financial situation, I can't see them making a move at PG. Temple played well enough last season to earn this spot.

Outlaw, Butler and Gomes, more than likely are all going to be out of the Spurs price range. Hayes, Simmons, Wilkins and S. Graham, more than likely be in the Spurs price range. None are appealing and I'd rather not bury Hairston, Gee and to a lesser extent, Anderson, just to bring in a bargain basket, minimal wing. With Jones, at least he's a 40% three-point shooter. These other guys don't excel to that extent in any one area.

Bonner is more than likely going to be out of the Spurs price range for the fifth big spot.

You forgot Hairston. Unless you expect him to be cut?

If Hairston has another strong showing in Summer League, I think the Spurs will do with him what they did with Hill last season and that is hand him a role. I know he's not as good a prospect as Hill, but he also won't be counted on to play anywhere near as many minutes and they're not getting a first rate stopper. So they can either bring in someone in Bogans class or they can go with Hairston. Barring a disastrous showing in Summer League, it's time to give Hairston the job.

DesignatedT
06-29-2010, 12:37 AM
Bonner is more than likely going to be out of the Spurs price range for the fifth big spot.

You forgot Hairston. Unless you expect him to be cut?

If Hairston has another strong showing in Summer League, I think the Spurs will do with him what they did with Hill last season and that is hand him a role. I know he's not as good a prospect as Hill, but he also won't be counted on to play anywhere near as many minutes and they're not getting a first rate stopper. So they can either bring in someone in Bogans class or they can go with Hairston. Barring a disastrous showing in Summer League, it's time to give Hairston the job.

The Spurs do have Larry Bird rights on Bonner so if they did decide to Keep him they could without having to dig into the MLE or LLE.

Hairston is a pretty big question mark IMO. I do believe Gee is the better prospect and wouldn't be surprised to see Hairston waived since I expect the spurs to sign another SF as well. There just wont be enough room for 4 of them unless the Spurs stash Gee in the D-League.

TD 21
06-29-2010, 12:48 AM
The Spurs do have Larry Bird rights on Bonner so if they did decide to Keep him they could without having to dig into the MLE or LLE.

Hairston is a pretty big question mark IMO. I do believe Gee is the better prospect and wouldn't be surprised to see Hairston waived since I expect the spurs to sign another SF as well. There just wont be enough room for 4 of them unless the Spurs stash Gee in the D-League.

Bird rights or not, he's not going to make at or near the minimum, which is probably all the Spurs will offer for a fifth big. I do think they want him back, but he'll more than likely be too expensive for them.

I think the Spurs realize that the best they can do for defensive wing off the bench is someone in the class of Bogans. If that is in fact the case, then why not just go with Hairston? He's young, inexpensive, athletic and they've spent two years developing him.

It's only a hunch, but I think he'd have to play his way out of this role and I think the Spurs will stash Gee in the D-League. I can see them having another young player, like Anderson (Antonio) in training camp on a non-guaranteed contract, competing with Hairston for the job. But in the end, I expect Hairston to win out.

mingus
06-29-2010, 12:51 AM
if the Spurs can't get a SF via FA, Spurs need to trade Hill for one. groom Temple into the back up pg that can play some sg as well. Hill = overrated. the thing that the Spurs NEEDED him to become over the off-season was a defensive juggernaut. now, he's just an undersized sg. can't go into the season w/o a back up SF, or potentially a starting one, depending on whether RJ sucks as much ass as he did last year.

sasffl
06-29-2010, 12:55 AM
PG:Parker, Hill, Temple
SG:Manu, Anderson, Gee/Hairston
SF:Jefferson, Rasual Butler
PF:Duncan, Blair,Dice
C:Splitter, Richards, Mahinmi

Spurs Brazil
06-29-2010, 02:57 PM
I think we need a true SF backup, Gee and Malik are more SG than SF

pad300
06-29-2010, 05:18 PM

Why the devil would you include Memphis? Iggy > Gay, just S&T Iggy...

TD 21
06-29-2010, 06:57 PM
I think we need a true SF backup, Gee and Malik are more SG than SF

In terms of height, Hairston is more of an SG, but in terms of build and game, he's more of an SF. SF is where the Spurs have used similar sized players like Udoka and (towards the end of the season, at least) Bogans, mainly because they lack the ball skills typically found in SG's.

On this team, if Hairston is to not just to stick, but play, he'll have to primarily play SF. Between Ginobili, Hill and Anderson, there won't be many minutes available at SG.

SenorSpur
06-29-2010, 07:17 PM
PG:Parker, Hill, Temple
SG:Manu, Anderson, Gee/Hairston
SF:Jefferson, Rasual Butler
PF:Duncan, Blair,Dice
C:Splitter, Richards, Mahinmi

^This

Seeing as how Richards will end up in Austin, I would even sweeten the pot by adding in Tolliver, as another possible big. We know how Pop loves his "stretch 4's". That would max out the roster at 15.

TD 21
06-29-2010, 07:24 PM
Why would anyone want Butler at this stage? He's not anywhere near a stopper and there's a good chance that Anderson is already a better version of him. Butler would be redundant. He's not even that good a three-point shooter.

I could see the argument for Jones, who's a legit 40% three-point shooter and would offer more defensive versatility, but not Butler.

The other issue with Butler is he's been in two situations recently where they had bad wings, he started quite a bit and as such, he probably thinks of himself as someone who should at least be guaranteed a rotation spot at this point. If he didn't receive that, he'd probably pull a Mason by mid-season.