PDA

View Full Version : Starting SG next season?

jiggy_55
06-26-2010, 04:46 PM
I've been thinking about this for a while now since the draft.. Whose our starting SG next season?

Hill is great, but he's really not a permanent starter at SG. He's too small to not be abused by bigger SG's. Manu is more than likely to come off the bench, Pop loves him there and Manu does great off the bench as well. For now, that leaves us with a gap at SG in my opinion. Mason and Bogans are gone (thank God). RJ is going no where, at least until the trade deadline, so he is the starting SF.

Would it be a veteran free agent signing for the LLE? Or could Pop throw in James Anderson as the starting SG and give him 15-20 minutes a night? Hill is a combo guard who will backup Parker and play some backup at the 2. Ginobili will get 28-30 minutes between the 2 and a little bit of small ball at the 3 as usual.

What do you think??

Muser
06-26-2010, 04:48 PM
Pop won't start a rookie, it will be Hill IMO.

jiggy_55
06-26-2010, 04:52 PM

I know what you mean. But still it's a good question to ask. Anderson is already quite developed, he's played 3 years at Oklahoma and is a good shooter to spread the floor. I'd like to think his minutes should come with Duncan in mostly, as he will find open shots to knock down with Tim on the floor. Nothing wrong with playing a rookie if you don't want to start Ginobili.

While I love Hill, i just can't see him being a permanent starter at SG. Might as well give Anderson a shot, unless a veteran SG is signed. Then my guess would be that guy (maybe butler, jones, gomes etc?).

MaNu4Tres
06-26-2010, 04:54 PM
Too early to tell.

I don't see Hill as the future starting shooting guard for the Spurs.

I thought he played shooting guard more towards the end of the year because of how inconsistently bad Mason and Bogans were (since Pop wanted to keep Manu providing the spark off the bench; Hill was really the only proven productive player to take on the spot). It wasn't because Hill is a sure fire, prototypical starting 2 guard in the league. I think he is better off coming off the bench with Manu as the back up point guard and playing spot minutes at the 2, according to match-ups.

Time will tell, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Anderson starting by December, if everything goes his way. Hell if everything goes his way (concerning his hamstring and his productivity) I wouldn't be surprised seeing him starting from the get go, playing 20 minutes a game roughly.

jiggy_55
06-26-2010, 04:58 PM
Time will tell, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Anderson starting by December, if everything goes his way. Hell if everything goes his way (concerning his hamstring and his productivity) I wouldn't be surprised seeing him starting from the get go, playing 20 minutes a game roughly.

Thats kind of what I was thinking. Doesn't matter if he's a rook or not, he could start and play the 20ish mins a game he might get off the bench anyways if he's impressive.

Destro
06-26-2010, 05:06 PM
Anderson 20 minutes a game...LOL no way

Stump
06-26-2010, 05:09 PM
I think we'll see a lot of variation on who the starting SG is like last season.

My Fault
06-26-2010, 05:10 PM
Start of the season I say Hill but I don't think it will end with him at the two spot. Its hard to say because your trying factor someone in who hasn't even played one second in the NBA. So as of now we can only say Hill or Manu depending if Pop wants Manu to return to his role off the bench.

spursfan1000
06-26-2010, 05:25 PM
Anderson wont get good minutes I think until the midseason or towards the playoffs when he has had a lot of time to impress POP (if he does). I'm thinking that we will most likely start George Hill, but why wont we start Manu? We were pretty successful last year with him starting.

jiggy_55
06-26-2010, 05:31 PM
Start of the season I say Hill but I don't think it will end with him at the two spot. Its hard to say because your trying factor someone in who hasn't even played one second in the NBA. So as of now we can only say Hill or Manu depending if Pop wants Manu to return to his role off the bench.

Your right, it is too early. But I still think that's a good topic for now.

Anderson should be able and contribute immediately hopefully. So I do expect him to get around 15-20mins a game maybe. And I do think getting him some open looks with starters like Timmy and Parker would be beneficial to his game.

The possible FA signing, while he is a veteran most likely, still has not played in a Spurs system. Same goes to Anderson. So I would consider Anderson and the FA to be on almost equal footing coming in. The difference being that one has NBA experience obviously.

I think starting Anderson is definitely an interesting idea if he impresses Pop quickly. This kid was one of the best players coming into the draft, so I would not be shocked if he's quite the talent and is able to contribute immediately. He should be NBA ready.

jiggy_55
06-26-2010, 05:34 PM
I'm thinking that we will most likely start George Hill, but why wont we start Manu? We were pretty successful last year with him starting.

I think Pop would much rather have Manu off the bench again. Manu didn't start till Parker was out, and I think he'd go back to that to start the season. Manu aint getting any younger and Pop was forced to play him much more than he wouldve wanted to at the end.

spursfan1000
06-26-2010, 05:37 PM
I think Pop would much rather have Manu off the bench again. Manu didn't start till Parker was out, and I think he'd go back to that to start the season. Manu aint getting any younger and Pop was forced to play him much more than he wouldve wanted to at the end.

I would think that the Manu-Duncan starting combo is better then Parker-Duncan, Manu would have a big responsibility too cary the bench, Parker coming off the bench and Hill starting at the point is a better idea IMO.

Spurologist
06-26-2010, 05:38 PM

that looks likely IMO

spursfan1000
06-26-2010, 05:46 PM
that looks likely IMO

POP wont play him 20 minutes a game unless he is really really impressed with him.

TD 21
06-26-2010, 06:16 PM
Too early to tell.

I don't see Hill as the future starting shooting guard for the Spurs.

I thought he played shooting guard more towards the end of the year because of how inconsistently bad Mason and Bogans were (since Pop wanted to keep Manu providing the spark off the bench; Hill was really the only proven productive player to take on the spot). It wasn't because Hill is a sure fire, prototypical starting 2 guard in the league. I think he is better off coming off the bench with Manu as the back up point guard and playing spot minutes at the 2, according to match-ups.

Can't see Anderson starting. Pop likes to have a wing to guard the opposition's best perimeter scorer. Jefferson won't be filling that role more often than not (by default, he'll have to guard the bigger three's, just like Parker will the quicker one's) and Anderson definitely won't, so that leaves Hill.

I agree that long term, I don't see Hill as a starter at SG, but for right now, I can't see how it's not him. The only way it isn't is if Pop just decides "we're playing our three best players together", which is possible and more doable now, considering the scoring depth this team has accumulated in recent years, but I don't think it's probable.

angelbelow
06-26-2010, 06:24 PM
I like having Manu start and Hill and Anderson as a 2nd unit. Unless we have trouble with playmaking with those 2 as our 2nd unit we can consider this line up. Manu and play the 1st, here and there 2nd and 3rd and close out the 4th.

Mal
06-26-2010, 06:35 PM

He`ll get some minutes in SG spot and SF spot. Really hard to say excatly, despite of swingmens signed to complete the roster. If he is a steal of draft, that some people are saying he was , he easily could have this 20 minutes a game, with Manu in resting mode.

NewJerSpur
06-26-2010, 06:44 PM
Likely to be Hill, though Anderson's development (along with whoever is pushes for minutes at the 2/3 position and health) will determine what the the starting lineup will look like at season's end and moving forward.

I wouldn't count Anderson out of the fold just because he's a rookie.....Blair got valuable minutes as a starter early in the season when Pop was trying to figure out who was the better fit with Timmy between he and Dice. I think at this point it comes down to production.

ducks
06-26-2010, 07:17 PM
pop will give rookies a chance for the first 1/3 of the season

after that is he will have to be impressed with them

timtonymanu
06-26-2010, 07:22 PM
We all know Pop likes starting those who know the system at the beginning of the season so I would say the starting lineup will look like this:

Parker - Hill - Jefferson - Duncan - McDyess

Then as the season progresses

Parker - Anderson - Jefferson - Duncan - Splitter

Hopefully RJ can learn to play without Manu starting.

smrattler
06-26-2010, 07:31 PM
Ok, I hate on RJ as much as anyone around here.

But is he too slow to start at SG?

I don't know what that does for us if possible, but aside from that, just asking. Most athletic guy can play two positions if needed. Manu and Hill are perfect examples. We know RJ supposedly hates playing PF in small ball, Ok. So is he a SF and only SF? Can he play a "big" SG?

I think if he can, that gives us a little more flexibility we need with our roster. If he can't play more than one position effectively, he impedes us yet another way, especially when we fight through injuries through the year.

TMTTRIO
06-26-2010, 09:20 PM
The only reason Manu ever came off the bench was because our bench wasn't able to bring the energy after all these years. Now that we have some youngsters to bring tons of energy and score we shouldn't have to rely on Manu to do that especially with him getting older and out of his prime now. It's time for him to start him and stop expecting him to lead our bench. Other guys need to start doing that now.

NewJerSpur
06-26-2010, 09:30 PM
Manu coming off the bench isn't just about his energy; he's brings offensive continuity to a 2nd unit which still has question marks? As much upside as Hill and Blair have, they are still developing, and without Manu that unit doesn't have a go to guy or a real facilitator. While roles on offense are being clarified the rotation being solidified, and talent being fused in together, Gino provides them with an anchor to steady the team....especially when the droughts come up without Tim and Tony.

Sense
06-26-2010, 09:45 PM
Anderson has to impress in order to start and get minutes...

I think he will, but he's not going to be a starter in the beginning of the season unless he WOW's Pop.

Hill will be there

Ditty
06-26-2010, 10:55 PM
i could see temple or hairston starting

ElNono
06-26-2010, 11:08 PM
Sad we still don't have a legitimate backup PG, and some people here wanted to trade Tony... :rolleyes

I see starting the season with Manu starting and Hill off the bench. I still think we need to address our lack of depth at PG. We'll see what free agency brings...

ducks
06-26-2010, 11:29 PM
temple hello!
manu also in case

DrSteffo
06-27-2010, 12:20 AM
I think Parker/Anderson and Hill/Manu should be better than Parker/Manu and Hill/Anderson, but we all expect Parker, Manu and Hill to get more minutes than Anderson. Pop will try different combinations as usual. He will start a rookie if he thinks that's the best thing to do. (Blair started 23 games last season).

lurker23
06-27-2010, 12:39 AM
I think unless Anderson is simply amazing, it's gotta be Hill. He has more experience in the system than Anderson or any other wing they bring in, and it keeps Manu on the bench.

The other major plus is that it's a way to get Hill more minutes. The bottom line is that Hill is too good at this point to play just 10-15 mpg backing up Parker, and the fact that he can be on the court 35, sometimes 40+ mpg is a huge plus for the Spurs, especially as they try to control Manu's minutes. Just as bringing Manu off the bench is a tool to keep Manu's minutes limited early in the game, starting Hill is a good tool to increase his court time early in the game.

Spursfan 87
06-27-2010, 01:22 AM
Manu was not that effective from the bench last year.

ajh18
06-27-2010, 01:33 AM
I think Manu needs to be the facilitator of the offense any time Parker isn't on the court. An early-season second unit of Manu, Anderson, Splitter, Blair, and Hairston would let Manu really run the show and have some people to develop chemistry with.

I think a best-case scenario for Anderson would be 18 min/game like Blair got this season. With 96 minutes up for grabs at the guard spots, I'd be happy to see Parker and Hill get around 30 each, Manu 25, and Anderson get the rest.

jiggy_55
06-27-2010, 01:49 AM
Manu was not that effective from the bench last year.

He was effective as a starter with Parker out though. You failed to mention that. Both of them playing together almost all the game makes the bench significantly weaker.

I think Manu needs to be the facilitator of the offense any time Parker isn't on the court. An early-season second unit of Manu, Anderson, Splitter, Blair, and Hairston would let Manu really run the show and have some people to develop chemistry with.

This.

One of the main reasons other than rest that Manu comes off the bench is so that he can get more touches, handle the ball more and play the pick and roll as the teams main facilitator. If he and Parker are in at the same time always, one of them will end up not doing much while the other runs most plays. I'd rather see Manu starting off the bench as usual, with Hill/Anderson/FA as the starting SG at first.

I don't see Hill as a permanent starter if he does start at the beginning. He should play around 15 minutes backing up Parker and another 15 minutes at the 2. Manu will get under 30 minutes a game I presume. And then there's RJ, I expect around 30mpg, like last season. This doesn't leave many minutes left for Anderson and a FA signing and other players like Hairston, Gee etc.. But injuries will play a part and every team encounters them, so that always gives a chance for players to start and get bigger minutes.

DrSteffo
06-27-2010, 02:05 AM

I think a best-case scenario for Anderson would be 18 min/game like Blair got this season. With 96 minutes up for grabs at the guard spots, I'd be happy to see Parker and Hill get around 30 each, Manu 25, and Anderson get the rest.

I agree but Manu could still play mostly with Hill. Also we might see some three guard line ups depending on opponents and who will be our backup sf (serious lack of depth there right now).

ajh18
06-27-2010, 02:16 AM
One of the main reasons other than rest that Manu comes off the bench is so that he can get more touches, handle the ball more and play the pick and roll as the teams main facilitator. If he and Parker are in at the same time always, one of them will end up not doing much while the other runs most plays. I'd rather see Manu starting off the bench as usual, with Hill/Anderson/FA as the starting SG at first.

I'm a huge Pop fan, and think the folks on here that are constantly criticising him are nuts. That said, I have NEVER understood why, when Parker and Manu are both healthy, one isnt on the court at all times playing the role of primary ballhandler. One or the other Pop. Doesnt matter who, just dont let anyone else do it.

For that matter, I also thought that some combination of at least three out of Tim/Manu/Parker/Jefferson/Hill should always be on the court together, at least in the playoffs. The occassional hill/mason/bogans/bonner/blair lineups were absolutely brutal and unnecessary. But I digress...

jiggy_55
06-27-2010, 02:22 AM
The occassional hill/mason/bogans/bonner/blair lineups were absolutely brutal and unnecessary. But I digress...

LMAO. True, thank God a few of those guys aren't coming back! :downspin:

quentin_compson
06-27-2010, 05:45 AM
Sad we still don't have a legitimate backup PG, and some people here wanted to trade Tony... :rolleyes

!

This can't be overemphasized. People who think Hill is our future starting PG are crazy, in my opinion. While certainly not a pass-first PG, Tony looks like Jason Kidd in comparison with George's playmaking skills.

To answer the question: things still might change via trade or Free Agents. For now, I guess Hill would start, and Manu would lead the second unit.

Brazil
06-27-2010, 08:22 AM
I think Parker and Hill will start with Manu off the bench to lead the second unit and Anderson will see around 10 minutes

BronxCowboy
06-27-2010, 08:27 AM
Anderson will see around 10 minutes

While I agree with you about the rest, I think Anderson will get 16-20 mpg, unless the Spurs add another free agent wing, or Hairston/Gee/Temple plays well enough to force Pop to give them minutes on a regular basis.

Brazil
06-27-2010, 08:36 AM
While I agree with you about the rest, I think Anderson will get 16-20 mpg, unless the Spurs add another free agent wing, or Hairston/Gee/Temple plays well enough to force Pop to give them minutes on a regular basis.

if Anderson gets 16 to 20 min regularly spurs have the steal of the draft IMO.

Dro210
06-27-2010, 09:03 AM
I think with Tony potentially coming into the season healthy and rested, he can return to a glimpse of that early '08 Parker, and if that's the case, Manu coming off the bench again is the best option.... '08 Tony was unstoppable, and starting games out with him and Hill attacking with speed is a good way to get out to early leads. Manu coming in and running what would be a strong 2nd unit, prevents a big drop off.

There's no reason Anderson can't see good minutes tho. I think he's a better player than he's getting credit for here. This isn't our typical end of the first round 'potential' pick, this guy is a proven player that could have easily gone in the lottery. He's gonna get his chances. I can definitely see him starting at the 2 some depending on his performance, health of the rest of the team, and Pop maybe balancing out the units more by using George with Manu off the bench.

Of course, that all sounds great, and could just be wishful thinking I guess... but what I do know, is that bringing in some LLE vet and starting him ala Bogans is NOT the answer... If that happens, we better get ready for a longggg season.

G-Dawgg
06-27-2010, 09:06 AM
I think Ginobili will start, he's become the facilitator of our offense kind of like our acting point guard. Chemistry seems better when he is distributing the ball, he gets everybody involved and our offense seems less stagnant.

Brazil
06-27-2010, 09:08 AM
I think Ginobili will start, he's become the facilitator of our offense kind of like our acting point guard. Chemistry seems better when he is distributing the ball, he gets everybody involved and our offense seems less stagnant.

Manu needs to be rested, during the RS no way in hell he'll start, POs are another story but Pop priority will be to monitor closely Tim and Manu PT.

G-Dawgg
06-27-2010, 09:25 AM
Manu needs to be rested, during the RS no way in hell he'll start, POs are another story but Pop priority will be to monitor closely Tim and Manu PT.

I disagree. We played our best basketball when he started for us and Parker came off the bench. Ginobili's time can always be monitored even if he starts....

..But I guess we are both entitled to our opinions.....

gospursgojas
06-27-2010, 09:27 AM
Manu

Dro210
06-27-2010, 09:32 AM
Well one thing is for sure... If Tony is with the team, which I hope he is, he's not coming off the bench.

I see what you're saying, but you can't just look at last year. Parker should be fully healthy this year, and Jefferson should be much more accustomed to the team... Add in however much George improves in the off-season, and that will make the 1st unit run a lot smoother. Healthy Parker along makes that unit work.

Manu has such a great value being able to come in and be the floor general and playmaker for the 2nd unit. George can't play that role, and neither can Tony, at least not nearly as effective. Manu makes it all work for us by being able to do that. And as always, it's not like he's gonna be sitting on the bench in crunch time or anything.

Obstructed_View
06-27-2010, 09:35 AM
Ginobili came off the bench the last time because Finley was more productive as a starter. With Finley gone, there's no reason for the Spurs not to start him in my opinion. Turning a starter into a reserve to strenthen a weak bench is not a solution for a team that won't develop and trust young players.

Ginobili will probably continue to come off the bench, but it's a stupid thing to do. He and Parker should be starting, and Hill and Hairston/Anderson should ultimately be the second unit. Under no circumstances should Hill and Parker start together unless the Spurs get a legitimate backup point guard.

lotr1trekkie
06-27-2010, 10:03 AM
I think Pop will realize that he needs to speed up the development of his younger players. I expect Splitter to start very early or come into games early so Tim can get some relief. I expect Blair to eat up more minutes. Anderson will play with the second unit. Jefferson gets an early season look as a starter at SF and if that doesn't work out he becomes a salary dump at the trade deadline. The truth is we really don't have a clearcut choice. I think it will be SG by committee early in the season.

K-State Spur
06-27-2010, 10:07 AM
Remember that manu used to start until our bench featured so little offensive punch that his inclusion on the second unit was necessary. Now, with hill, blair, and hopefully dice (splitter starts ) & anderson, the second unit should be able to score some without manu .

That, combined with the fact that rj was completely dependent on manu for offense last year, and we're at the point where Tim is no longer the dominant force that he was, I think most of manu's time will come with the first team.

jiggy_55
06-27-2010, 10:14 AM
Remember that manu used to start until our bench featured so little offensive punch that his inclusion on the second unit was necessary. Now, with hill, blair, and hopefully dice (splitter starts ) & anderson, the second unit should be able to score some without manu .

That, combined with the fact that rj was completely dependent on manu for offense last year, and we're at the point where Tim is no longer the dominant force that he was, I think most of manu's time will come with the first team.

Well, Manu was 28-29 back then. His age is catching up with him and that's on Pops mind for sure.

dbestpro
06-27-2010, 10:18 AM
I think Anderson will do better when Manu is on the floor. He seems to facilitate better to the young guys. I would start Parker and Hill. First out would be Parker for Manu. Second rotation would be Anderson for Hill. This way we keep Parker fresh for the 4th quarter. Also, if anyone gets hot I would leave them in a little longer till they start to get tired.

BronxCowboy
06-27-2010, 01:44 PM
if Anderson gets 16 to 20 min regularly spurs have the steal of the draft IMO.

George Hill got 16+ mpg his rookie season. Blair got 18+ mpg his rookie season. If Parker, Hill, Ginobili and Jefferson all play around the minutes they did this year, there will be 20 mpg that will have to go somewhere. If Anderson can play passable defense and hit the open J, it might as well be him, assuming they don't sign anyone better.

EricB
06-27-2010, 02:36 PM

Dejuan Blair says hello...

Stump
06-27-2010, 03:01 PM
Dejuan Blair says hello...
Good point. Even though I felt starting Blair was not the best decision, I was happy to see Pop was willing to place that trust in a young player.

As much as Pop botched the Hill situation a couple seasons back, I do wonder if he genuinely learned his lesson.

TMTTRIO
06-27-2010, 03:14 PM
By the way I've never understood why people say Manu plays better off the bench. His career year and the only AS career year was the only year he was starting while with the Spurs. It's sad that everyone expects him to just continue coming off the bench and leading the second unit. He's getting older and he's not going to be able to do it much longer. Someone else is going to have to take over that roll so who should that be? At least in the starting unit he doesn't get worn out playing along with Tim and Tony.

spursfaninla
06-27-2010, 03:22 PM
George Hill got 16+ mpg his rookie season. Blair got 18+ mpg his rookie season. If Parker, Hill, Ginobili and Jefferson all play around the minutes they did this year, there will be 20 mpg that will have to go somewhere. If Anderson can play passable defense and hit the open J, it might as well be him, assuming they don't sign anyone better.

hill played 29 minutes last year

parker: 28

manu: 30

RJ: 31

with 48 minutes for 3 positions, that leaves 26 minutes. However, 17 of those come at the sf position, where Anderson would be small.

We can do it, but it just puts pressure on the defense, and trades off with the good outside shooting we will get during that time.

If our second unit has blair and Anderson at the same time, that is small at 2 positions, which I don't really like.

If hill is the starting 2, then we are small only in 1 position, and we can live with that.

jiggy_55
06-27-2010, 04:19 PM

with 48 minutes for 3 positions, that leaves 26 minutes. However, 17 of those come at the sf position, where Anderson would be small.

We can do it, but it just puts pressure on the defense, and trades off with the good outside shooting we will get during that time.

If our second unit has blair and Anderson at the same time, that is small at 2 positions, which I don't really like.

If hill is the starting 2, then we are small only in 1 position, and we can live with that.

Parker played 30.9 mpg.

BronxCowboy
06-27-2010, 05:05 PM

Would it be nice to have someone a little bigger as your backup SF? Sure. (Anderson's size isn't THAT bad, btw.) But we don't have such a player on the roster currently. Remember the guys playing these minutes last year were Mason and Bogans. Not exactly outstanding size at SF. And there isn't a lot of money to work with in free agency.

Brazil
06-27-2010, 05:10 PM
I disagree. We played our best basketball when he started for us and Parker came off the bench. Ginobili's time can always be monitored even if he starts....

..But I guess we are both entitled to our opinions.....

I'm on the start Manu bandwagon but it would be very difficult to monitor Manu PT if he is in the starting 5. Important thing for him is to finish the games, so during the RS I think he will come off the bench in function of his health he could begin to be in the starting 5 one month before the start of the POs.

Brazil
06-27-2010, 05:18 PM

ok so let's say Hill had the low side of the 16 to 20 minutes range for his rookie season with Manu injured most part of the season now Manu is healthy (cross the finger) and George is going to have heavy minutes therefore I don't see Anderson having the 16 to 20 minutes range especially if another wing is coming.

pad300
06-27-2010, 06:41 PM
Actually, can anyone see Hill getting traded? Consider
1) He's good, maybe good enough to start for some teams as a PG.
2) He's not good enough (yet, or in the short term future) to take Tony's job.
3) As a SG, he gives up his physical advantage (ie length), and as a result he's pretty average at best defensively. Offensively, he's decent, but no world beater.

Moving Hill to develop a better fit in our backcourt would be possible;
consider for example, Hill to the Pacers for Paul George (signed) - the salaries would work out about right, he's an Indiana local, and the Pacers need a PG badly.

This would make our revised backcourt lineups a lot better sized.

PG - Parker (6'2"), Temple (6'6")
SG - Anderson (6'6"), Manu (6'6")
SF - RJ (6'8"), Paul George (6'8")
PF - Mcdyess, Blair, ???
C - Duncan, Splitter, ???

The key would be managing minutes so that one of Manu and Parker were on the floor at all times...Anderson would be asked to act a lot like Micheal Finley in the offense, and when Temple is on, Manu is running the point.

ducks
06-27-2010, 07:01 PM
temple can ran the point

Buddy Holly
06-27-2010, 07:10 PM

Tony Parker disagrees.

beirmeistr
06-27-2010, 07:26 PM
Ginobili came off the bench the last time because Finley was more productive as a starter. With Finley gone, there's no reason for the Spurs not to start him in my opinion. Turning a starter into a reserve to strenthen a weak bench is not a solution for a team that won't develop and trust young players.

Ginobili will probably continue to come off the bench, but it's a stupid thing to do. He and Parker should be starting, and Hill and Hairston/Anderson should ultimately be the second unit. Under no circumstances should Hill and Parker start together unless the Spurs get a legitimate backup point guard.

I totally agree that it would be a stupid thing to continue to use Ginobili off the bench. You should start your best five players to try to get a lead. The concept of manu being a "sparkplug" off the bench doesn't hold water at age 33. That's a good way to get him injured if he is over-exerting himself with the second unit. He is more protected from injury by playing with the first unit. And Pop can still monitor his minutes.

BronxCowboy
06-27-2010, 08:04 PM
ok so let's say Hill had the low side of the 16 to 20 minutes range for his rookie season with Manu injured most part of the season now Manu is healthy (cross the finger) and George is going to have heavy minutes therefore I don't see Anderson having the 16 to 20 minutes range especially if another wing is coming.

Who do you think will get the minutes instead? Hairston? Gee? I guess a free agent is still a possibility, but I'm not sure who the Spurs can afford that would merit regular playing time. There will be at least 20 minutes there for somebody, assuming no injuries, no DNP's of the main players, and no small ball. I don't see Hairston, Temple, or Gee getting regular minutes, but who knows?

TDMVPDPOY
06-27-2010, 08:15 PM
if anderson can contribute, i see no reason why not give him starters minutes or start games....

jiggy_55
06-28-2010, 01:38 AM
Who do you think will get the minutes instead? Hairston? Gee? I guess a free agent is still a possibility, but I'm not sure who the Spurs can afford that would merit regular playing time. There will be at least 20 minutes there for somebody, assuming no injuries, no DNP's of the main players, and no small ball. I don't see Hairston, Temple, or Gee getting regular minutes, but who knows?

I know what you're saying. I was thinking the same, it seemed very possible for Anderson to play 18-20 mpg. Than looking at it thoroughly, for the 3 "small" positions, you have 48*3 = 144 mpg.

You expect Parker, Hill, Manu and RJ to have a combined avg of around 30mpg, with Parker and RJ just above 30 and Hill and Manu at 30 or just under. So that's 120 minutes. 24 minutes left at those positions. I'll add that since Pop may play some small ball for time to time (even though if Splitter comes there should be way less of it), let's be generous and say 8 minutes of small ball per game? Is that too much?

Anyways, that leaves you with 32 minutes for the FA signing, Anderson, Hairston/Gee/Temple.. From those last 3, I assume only 1 of them will get any significant minutes next season with another playing a few minutes here and there.. FA signing is likely to get around 20mpg, since that's a veteran with a good 3 point shot we all assume. This leaves few minutes for any other player..

With all that, even considering injuries and the rest, I can't see Anderson hitting near 20mpg a game unless he's a stud. Even 15 may be a stretch, of course barring any MAJOR injury or trade, which changes everything. And this is contrary to what I first thought, I thought it would be quite easy for Anderson to get a good 16-20 mpg.

BronxCowboy
06-28-2010, 06:00 AM
Anyways, that leaves you with 32 minutes for the FA signing, Anderson, Hairston/Gee/Temple.. From those last 3, I assume only 1 of them will get any significant minutes next season with another playing a few minutes here and there.. FA signing is likely to get around 20mpg, since that's a veteran with a good 3 point shot we all assume. This leaves few minutes for any other player..

Of course if a vet is brought in through free agency, that will cut into the minutes available for Anderson. Most of Spurstalk seems to assume that we're getting another veteran wing somewhere; I don't. My minutes projection for Anderson was for the scenario in which we don't get a free agent who plays much. What player could we realistically get that would be a better option? Also, quite a few people seem to assume that one of Hairston/Gee/Temple will get more than garbage minutes this season. Until I see otherwise, I'm assuming that none of them will play more than garbage minutes, barring injuries.

admiralsnackbar
06-28-2010, 08:11 AM
temple can ran the point

I'm sure he can conjugate, too. :toast

One thing I think people are overlooking is that the reason Hill, Parker, RJ and Manu played so many minutes last season had a lot to do with the dogshit play of the rest of the wingmen. If Anderson proves he deserves to be out there at all, I expect him to eat into Manu's minutes (or RJ's, situationally) just to keep Ginobili fresh.

jiggy_55
06-28-2010, 08:20 AM
Of course if a vet is brought in through free agency, that will cut into the minutes available for Anderson. Most of Spurstalk seems to assume that we're getting another veteran wing somewhere; I don't. My minutes projection for Anderson was for the scenario in which we don't get a free agent who plays much. What player could we realistically get that would be a better option? Also, quite a few people seem to assume that one of Hairston/Gee/Temple will get more than garbage minutes this season. Until I see otherwise, I'm assuming that none of them will play more than garbage minutes, barring injuries.

Well yes, I also assume we're signing a vet. Just like the signings of bogans, mason, etc.. Pop will look to sign someone for the LLE this summer who is worthy of some minutes and who can either defend, shoot the 3, or do both preferably. It's been this way for the Spurs for a long time and I believe we will continue to look for a free agent of this mold. Pop still prefers experienced players.

About the other 3, Gee is quite talented actually. Temple proved he can play backup minutes and be efficient. Hairston has been in the spurs system for a while and he brings athleticism and scoring to the table. We have some nice options on the wing, and if no FA is signed as you assume, then definitely one of them will get some minutes alongside Anderson.

mountainballer
06-28-2010, 08:24 AM
I'm sure he can conjugate, too. :toast

One thing I think people are overlooking is that the reason Hill, Parker, RJ and Manu played so many minutes last season had a lot to do with the dogshit play of the rest of the wingmen. If Anderson proves he deserves to be out there at all, I expect him to eat into Manu's minutes (or RJ's, situationally) just to keep Ginobili fresh.

first off, he will eat all of Mason's minutes. those 20 MPG are available anyhow. (and I can't see him get much more minutes as a rookie.)
minutes from Manu will be taken by a veteran, we can expect the Spurs sign one or two. (Bogans played 20 mpg last season. no reason to believe there won't happen a similar vet signing this summer. Bell?)

PDXSpursFan
06-28-2010, 11:39 AM
Manu is the starting SG</thread>

Barfunk
06-28-2010, 01:48 PM
Manu has been a starting SG all along in the NBA. When healthy and CONSISTENTLY STARTING he is a 20ppg scorer as he has proved already.

Brazil
06-28-2010, 02:57 PM
Well yes, I also assume we're signing a vet. Just like the signings of bogans, mason, etc.. Pop will look to sign someone for the LLE this summer who is worthy of some minutes and who can either defend, shoot the 3, or do both preferably. It's been this way for the Spurs for a long time and I believe we will continue to look for a free agent of this mold. Pop still prefers experienced players.

About the other 3, Gee is quite talented actually. Temple proved he can play backup minutes and be efficient. Hairston has been in the spurs system for a while and he brings athleticism and scoring to the table. We have some nice options on the wing, and if no FA is signed as you assume, then definitely one of them will get some minutes alongside Anderson.

+1

I do think Pop will want a Bogans type of player for the LLE, he will look for a defensive specialist ala Bruce (it was the idea of Bogans signing). Considering that, minutes will be mainly distributed between tony, manu, rj and george, rest will have to be split between Anderson, a FA for the LLE and some minutes for whoever will pass the cut (Temple, Hairston and Gee), this is why I don't think Anderson will see the 16 to 20 mn range.

Time will tell.

BackHome
06-28-2010, 11:07 PM
Sad but with Anderson comming over we have three guys playing SG.....Anderson, Manu, and Hill.......So I think that leaves out Hairston from making the team.

At least we get to see what Gee can do enough to keep him or find a free agent or a non drafted player to fill the SF role.