PDA

View Full Version : Lack of quality players in the NBA

djohn2oo8
06-27-2010, 01:28 PM
First thing that stands out is the lack of quality players in the league, those that play without any real dedication to the game, and are more interested in being celebs and billionaires rather than winning. No more winners like Russell, Jordan, Magic, Bird, Kareem, Wilt, Hakeem, Duncan, Kobe (even though you can't help but hate him as a person, his work ethic goes unquestioned) and the list goes on I mean, the lack of big men is killing the league as well, Dwight Howard is one dimensional, which he should really be dominating the league right now. Yao's always hurt, and who can you name after those two who should be dominating the league? LeBron is one who you can say is more interested in becoming a billionaire than winning a ring, and it's sad. This guy hypes up free agency by saying July 1st would be the greatest day ever, or something to the effect, which I don't think anyone else has been hyped up as much, with the "LeBron Tracker". Sure he's a kid, but he should be a professional first. And Dwight is more interested in making movies and commericals than winning.

The kids that are coming out of high school and college these days are so in love with the possibility of being on Sportscenter, that they either lose their dedication to the game along the way, or are just in it for the money and fame, like the guys who are after Max Money, who are not even worth it. Sure you have some nice players coming up like Curry, Tyreke Evans, Rose, Rondo, and so on. But what about the big men? I just think the quality of the league will plummet once Kobe, Dirk, Duncan, Garnett, Pierce, and other superstars retire. Just my opinion, so I will put my flamesuit on

boston.balla
06-27-2010, 01:31 PM
this draft should provide alot of bigs...at least some of them have to pan out, right?

out the top of my head: favors, cousins, greg monroe, ed davis... plus add blake griffin.

djohn2oo8
06-27-2010, 01:35 PM
I forgot about Brook Lopez, he definitely has potential to dominate

Giuseppe
06-27-2010, 01:35 PM
Compounded expansion has muddled the league. You have 30 teams, but, legitimately NBA quality players to stock half that amount. Almost half the rank & file have absolutely no business being anywhere near an NBA roster. They're not professional basketball players.

Another file in the account of [symbolism over substance].

himat
06-27-2010, 01:37 PM
Don't rip on my man Dwight Howard all right. He's a class act off the court and Kobe is on record for saying how Dwight's goofball like attitude makes people believe he isn't a competitor, when in reality, he actually is.

They lost to the Celtics this year, but almost those guys were playing incredible basketball. They also made it to last years Finals. If Orlando can get a guard who can throw a solid entry pass watch out.

For the most part I agree though. This free agent class is also going to change the way stars negotiate their contracts from now on, so its only going to get worse.

Goran Dragic
06-27-2010, 01:40 PM
It's all related to players leaving school early. If players stayed in college 3-4 years they would develop better and wouldn't fall apart in the NBA, big men moreso than anyone. There are an insane amount of big man in the last decade who threw away their AS potential by leaving school early/not going to school.

boutons_deux
06-27-2010, 01:54 PM
30 teams, 450 players is too many for available playing/coaching/GM NBA talent pool, even after importing Euro and Asians.

20 teams max and let the rest of them play NBDL where they belong, rather than pocketing the avg NBA salary of $6M.

Cane
06-27-2010, 01:54 PM
AAU doesn't seem like its helping when it comes to developing bigs like Amar'e and Dwight:

But before we move on to the inevitable, let me explain the No. 1 reason why the Magic and the Suns can’t compete with the Lakers and the Celtics.

Dwight Howard and Amar'e Stoudemire were raised on the AAU circuit and sent straight to the NBA. They’ve yet to learn how to compete at the professional level.

We’re watching the “Child, Please!” conference finals.

Grown-a** men are spanking the (spit) out of little boys on national television. At some point, I expect Nancy Grace to call for criminal charges against David Stern for failing to intervene and properly protect Howard and Stoudemire.

This is child abuse. I’m uncomfortable watching it. I’m embarrassed for Howard and Stoudemire. Their underdeveloped basketball minds can’t comprehend a mature response for the grown-up play Bryant, Pau Gasol, Derek Fisher, Lamar Odom, Paul Pierce, Ray Allen, Kevin Garnett and Rajon Rondo put forth at playoff time.

After getting routed in Game 1 in the West, Stoudemire childishly called the 19-point, 19-rebound a**-whipping delivered by Lamar Odom “lucky,” and then Stoudemire bragged about how he used to beat up Pau Gasol back in the Spaniard’s Memphis days.

After getting routed in Game 1 in the East, Howard childishly took the court for Game 2 by first performing his “comical” LeBron James, powder-throwing impersonation and then focusing all of his Superman-like powers on scoring more points than he did in Game 1.

These guys are clueless. They’re the most talented and important players on their teams and they have the maturity level of 13-year-olds. They set a terrible tone for their teams.

Howard just wants to have fun. Stoudemire just wants to score points. Neither is interested in giving a playoff-level defensive effort.

You don’t learn how to play great defense in summer/AAU basketball. You don’t learn how to compete at a championship level in AAU basketball.

Before summer basketball replaced high school hoops as the most important training ground for a teenage baller, kids used to be taught how to compete, how to accept coaching and that important games pitting equally talented players are most often decided at the defensive end.

Howard and Stoudemire are full-blooded AAU Babies. They were raised in the era where the penalty for a high school phenom ignoring the teachings of his coach was a spot in the draft lottery and a shoe contract with Nike or Adidas.

They didn’t join Michael Jordan’s NBA. They joined Allen Iverson’s league. There’s a major difference.

When Kobe Bryant and Kevin Garnett became superstars, they were welcomed into the All-Star Game and the fraternity of superstars by Michael Jordan, Karl Malone, David Robinson, etc. When Howard and Stoudemire blossomed into major stars, the culture of the NBA had dramatically changed. Most of their straight-out-of-high skool peers (LeBron James, Tracy McGrady, Jermaine O’Neal) talked about their respect for Jordan, but they mimicked Iverson’s style and attitude.

These guys have a difficult time with coaching. They have difficulty buying into a legitimate team concept.

It takes a team to play defense in the NBA. You can go one-on-one or pick-and-roll and score a boatload of points in the league. Defensive stops take five guys working together.

Stoudemire flat-out refuses to play defense in this series. And he’s a reluctant rebounder (nine boards in two games). Pau Gasol has Stoudemire tied to his belt loop, and Gasol is walking Stoudemire around the yard offering the 6-10 power forward to Andrew Bynum and Lamar Odom for a pack of cigarettes.

Howard is supposed to be the second coming of Bill Russell. What an insult to Russell. I regret ever making the comparison. To compete in this series, Orlando doesn’t need Howard to score a point. The Magic need Howard to scare Rajon Rondo and Big Baby out of the lane, ignite a quicker offensive pace with crisp outlet passes and control the boards.

Howard had eight rebounds and zero blocks in Game 2. ESPN’s Mark Jackson, the best NBA color analyst, labeled Howard’s 30 points “fool’s gold.”

Bill Russell struck fear in his opponents. The refs are afraid of Howard’s nonstop whining. Thanks to Howard, Orlando is looking for excuses rather than looking for a fight against grown men.

Howard and Stoudemire are two tricks getting treated.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/amare-stoudemire-dwight-howard-just-punk-kids-jason-whitlock-052010

dallaskd
06-27-2010, 02:09 PM
AAU doesn't seem like its helping when it comes to developing bigs like Amar'e and Dwight:

I played AAU from the 13 and under division when i was in 6th grade all the way through high school. Its not a place to develop your skills. I would guess about 90 to 95% of D1 basketball players play AAU. It really is a one on one type of game like the NBA. Most players are there to get noticed. More tournaments, less practice. IMO players develop in high school and college. Not AAU. AAU is just a window to display your skills in. I really wish they did not put as much stress into it as they do, but it is nearly impossible to get a scholarship without playing. And to the OP.. talent needs to stay in college longer to sharpen their skills rather than jumping to the NBA. I think that is a lot of the reason for the lack of quality players. No need to worry, todays rookies and sophmores will soundly replace these superstars and new stars will emerge

dallaskd
06-27-2010, 02:16 PM
It's all related to players leaving school early. If players stayed in college 3-4 years they would develop better and wouldn't fall apart in the NBA, big men moreso than anyone. There are an insane amount of big man in the last decade who threw away their AS potential by leaving school early/not going to school.

For the most part, once you get to the NBA, your time developing and adding new skills to your game is done completely. NBA practices are repetitive, just perfecting the skills you already have. Alot of it is the physical build of young guys. 2 or 3 more years in college would give them the NBA body they need before they go pro. Perfect example is Darius Washington. If he stays at Memphis 2 more years, he is probably a decent back up PG in the league.

Goran Dragic
06-27-2010, 02:18 PM
Don't rip on my man Dwight Howard all right. He's a class act off the court and Kobe is on record for saying how Dwight's goofball like attitude makes people believe he isn't a competitor, when in reality, he actually is.

They lost to the Celtics this year, but almost those guys were playing incredible basketball. They also made it to last years Finals. If Orlando can get a guard who can throw a solid entry pass watch out.

For the most part I agree though. This free agent class is also going to change the way stars negotiate their contracts from now on, so its only going to get worse.

Dwight Howard's growth as a post player will be stunted as long as he has a PG who'd rather run pick and rolls than make entry passes. If Orlando wants to be a better playoff team next year their best bet would be to move Rashard Lewis down to SF, add a big who doesn't hurt Orlando's spacing but makes it so they aren't extremely undersized up front, and add a PG who can play a lesser role as an off ball shooter during crucial moments.