PDA

View Full Version : So New York tanked the past few seasons to get...

PGDynasty24
06-27-2010, 08:22 PM
To get Joe Johnson and Amar'e stoudemire? That's probably like a 45 win team but nowhere near a elite team. That's what happens when you put all your eggs in baskets. If they don't get lebron/wade there offseason should be a failure. New York you fail. AGAIN

Booharv
06-27-2010, 08:27 PM
tbh the one saving grace is that Curry's contract comes off the books after next season and Melo has been rumored to be considering playing in New York. A hypothetical starting five of Douglas (who had a promising rookie season advanced stats wise), JJ, Melo, Gallo, and Amare could be a contender. Its a better top three then Denver had two years ago when they went to the conference finals with Melo.

Booharv
06-27-2010, 08:30 PM
They'd need some good defensive role players though.

Veterinarian
06-27-2010, 08:43 PM
tbh I could see a chucker scrub like Melo being more lured by the prospect of playing in New York than Lebron, Wade, or Bosh. He would love seeing his face on New York billboards. He would fit there in a good enough to almost win kind of way that the Knicks specialized in for the past 35 years. Plus he would torture their fan base like Ewing did by being not quite good enough to get over the hump.

TacoCabanaFajitas
06-27-2010, 08:46 PM
tbh I could see a chucker scrub like Melo being more lured by the prospect of playing in New York than Lebron, Wade, or Bosh. He would love seeing his face on New York billboards. He would fit there in a good enough to almost win kind of way that the Knicks specialized in for the past 35 years. Plus he would torture their fan base like Ewing did by being not quite good enough to get over the hump.

Well it is his hometown...

Veterinarian
06-27-2010, 08:55 PM
Well it is his hometown...

I thought he grew up in Baltimore?

DMX7
06-27-2010, 08:56 PM
Who said Amare will even go? And the knicks are pretty stupid to give Johnson a max contract. Just dumb.

PGDynasty24
06-27-2010, 08:57 PM
I thought he grew up in Baltimore?

born in NY and grew up in Baltimore

BronxCowboy
06-28-2010, 06:43 AM
It's nice that the Knicks suck so badly. Everytime the Spurs come to town, I'm almost gauranteed to see a Spurs win, probably a blowout.

JamStone
06-28-2010, 08:32 AM
You kind of have to look at the alternative. Instead of clearing all that cap space, were they supposed to re-sign Stephon Marbury, build around guys like Jared Jeffries, Zach Randolph, and Jamal Crawford? They basically had no choice but to tear everything down and try to start from scratch.

Red Hawk #21
06-28-2010, 09:42 AM
I actually don't mind this move at all. If the Knicks can't get Lebron/Wade then why shouldn't they go after JJ and Amare? They've been a shitty team for years, with JJ and Amare they actually have a legit chance of being a playoff team. Sure Knick fans will whine at first, because they seriously have wanted Lebron in NY for quite some time, but I'm sure they won't mind if a team with JJ and Amare can get them finally back into the playoffs.

VBM
06-28-2010, 09:44 AM
Guess we'll see if they truly enjoyed playing for D'Antoni in Phoenix.

pauls931
06-28-2010, 10:09 AM
So it's the Suns minus Nash and Marion? Joe gets hot for one playoffs series and now everyone is wanting to schlob his knob...:lol

JamStone
06-28-2010, 10:22 AM
Because the Knicks would be better off to keep Wilson Chandler as their main perimeter scorer on the team? Or they could always bring back Larry Hughes...

People have to remember what the Knicks are working with and what they've had for the better part of the last decade.

eisfeld
06-28-2010, 10:22 AM
tbh the one saving grace is that Curry's contract comes off the books after next season and Melo has been rumored to be considering playing in New York. A hypothetical starting five of Douglas (who had a promising rookie season advanced stats wise), JJ, Melo, Gallo, and Amare could be a contender. Its a better top three then Denver had two years ago when they went to the conference finals with Melo.

That team would be too small to win anything at all.

dbestpro
06-28-2010, 10:38 AM

When Curry's contract comes off the books they probably would go after Parker with a max offer. ............... He probably will take it, too.

Booharv
06-28-2010, 10:38 AM
That team would be too small to win anything at all.

When I said they'd need some good defensive role players earlier in this thread, I meant like a PJ Brown/Perkins/Gortat type at center and a Posey type backup wing defender. That would give them plenty of size. Since its New York, after this season (when they don't qualify for the MLE) they could use the MLE every single year to get some additional help, especially since Dolan's already shown a willingness to spend whatever it takes.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-28-2010, 10:45 AM
Because the Knicks would be better off to keep Wilson Chandler as their main perimeter scorer on the team? Or they could always bring back Larry Hughes...

People have to remember what the Knicks are working with and what they've had for the better part of the last decade.

I think the Knicks made their future more dependent on 2010 free agency than maybe it needed to be, but I agree with this for the most part. This was the best basket to throw their eggs in. The bloated payroll they've had for the better part of this decade made it impossible for them to go anywhere so their best bet was to slash payroll and start over.

What I disagree with is that they gave Houston the rights to swap 2011 1st rounders with them. That 2011 1st rounder woulda been the best thing going for them if free agency doesn't work out, instead they're in danger of being a bottom feeder that for the 2nd straight year won't have its 1st round pick. It basically forces their hand to give up on Lebron and start with their backup plan (the whole, "if you run after two hares you will catch neither" concept) because they moreso than any other team are relying on 2010 free agency to make something happen.

eisfeld
06-28-2010, 10:56 AM
When I said they'd need some good defensive role players earlier in this thread, I meant like a PJ Brown/Perkins/Gortat type at center and a Posey type backup wing defender. That would give them plenty of size. Since its New York, after this season (when they don't qualify for the MLE) they could use the MLE every single year to get some additional help, especially since Dolan's already shown a willingness to spend whatever it takes.

Then Douglas, Johnson, Anthony, Gallinari and Stoudemire won't be the starting five. And even with a decent Center this team would be an offensive nightmare but a bad defensive team.

That would be too much of a gamble for the Knicks (although I think they are stupid enough to do it). Signing Anthony would mean that Gallinari will be gone. And getting a decent MLE Center isn't easy and they could easily end up with Ericka for the MLE.

JamStone
06-28-2010, 12:29 PM
Then Douglas, Johnson, Anthony, Gallinari and Stoudemire won't be the starting five. And even with a decent Center this team would be an offensive nightmare but a bad defensive team.

That would be too much of a gamble for the Knicks (although I think they are stupid enough to do it). Signing Anthony would mean that Gallinari will be gone. And getting a decent MLE Center isn't easy and they could easily end up with Ericka for the MLE.

Compared to perennial lottery team that has traded their lottery picks away...

In a D'Antoni system, Carmelo and Gallinari can play together because either can play the power forward spot with Amare playing center. Bad defensive team yes. But that would still most likely be a team that would challenge for a 4 or 5 seed in the Eastern Conference for several years. Again, compare that to what they've had for going on a decade now.

da_suns_fan
06-28-2010, 12:43 PM
The Knicks are desperate and Mike D'Antoni needs to justify his 6 million dollar contract.

Lebron and the other A list players are pipe dreams so theyll throw all their money at the B-List crop.

Cane
06-28-2010, 01:14 PM
Having Mike D'Antoni as your head coach basically means you're not going to win anything or attract Lebron James and Co. anyway.

Booharv
06-28-2010, 06:37 PM

Tbh I'm not that high on Gallinari and Melo and Johnson have the talent to be good defenders. I would make Gallo a 6th man, and only use him in the right matchups where he's not a full blown liability. Johnson is already a low mistake solid defensive player who keeps people in front of him and uses his length to bother shots. A starting lineup of Douglas (above average), JJ (average to slightly above average), Melo (all over the board but has the talent ot be good and has definitely improved the last few years), Amare (weak) and Perkins type (above average) would not be a bad starting defensive team. Plus with some Tony Allens/Posey types as 6th men (above average) they could have enough players who can defend. The problem is D'Antoni coaching them on defense.

That's why they've been talking about getting a Thibodeau type defensive coordinator type assistant.