PDA

View Full Version : Comparables

pressurez
06-27-2010, 08:44 PM
What are your best guesses for our rookies' NBA comparisons? Mine:

Ryan Richards : Charlie Villanueva

James Anderson : Derek Anderson

Tiago Splitter : Andris Biedrins

Ryan's game reminds me a lot of Villanueva, both agile 7-footers who have an adept offensive game with outside range. RR talks about Odom, Bosh, and Rasheed, but I see a lot more of CV. We don't know if he'll even play an NBA minute, but best case scenario, RR delivers CV's offensive punch without the lackadaisical approach to defense and winning.

CV vid (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x26utb_charlie-villanueva-poured-in-48-poi_sport)

James and Derek share the same last name, size (6'5", 195 lbs), and game. Both can/could stroke it from the outside, and while not brilliant creators, they do/did have multidimensional offensive games. Both are quintessential shooting guards, athletic, thin, and seem to me to have similar demeanors. We don't know if James will ever be a starter, but best case scenario, he takes flight offensively, focuses on defense, and avoids the injuries that limited DA.

DA vid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqjl8g-JV-M)

Tiago and Biedrins are both athletic big men that make their mark with hustle. They have similar size (Biedrins may be a bit lankier), run on a high motor and impact the game not with their offensive prowess. Biedrins turned a couple double-double seasons into a big contract. Tiago might not see that kind of money in his NBA career, but best case scenario he becomes a regular double-double starter and helps anchor the defense.

AB vid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uCNSrEkR8g)

Mel_13
06-27-2010, 08:49 PM
Can't comment on Anderson and Richards because I haven't seen them play, but Splitter is already a much more polished offensive player than Biedrins will ever be.

Cane
06-27-2010, 09:09 PM
Of the handful of games I've seen of Tiago, he reminds me of a smaller and less ugly version of Chris Kaman. They both seem able to fill up the boxscore since they both have a decent overall game (can block, pass, good post-up games, also seem to set decent screens) and both seem like team-first kind of players. Tiago seems like a better passer and has his own style in the post but they seem similar.

5sk55SbXRkQ

WfzSEJKDnLc

mystargtr34
06-27-2010, 09:27 PM
Not sure about the Splitter and Biedrins comparison. Splitter has a more well-rounded game skill-wise, also more polished in the post an as a passer. Beidrins is more up-and-down athletic and is probably a better/stronger finisher around the rim, although he relies on others for those opportunities.

Defensively Splitter looks like he can be everybit as good as a man-to-man and P&R defender, but Biedrins looks like the better shotblocker because of his athleticism and also because he is a more aggressive shotblocker, while Splitter uses positioning and length to alter shots by staying on his feet, rather than going for the block.

There are some similarities though.

Hooks
06-27-2010, 09:44 PM
Anderson reminds me of players like Ray Allen, a less explosive Finley and Redd. Anderson can shoot from anywhere on the court, he's got a quick release just like Allen and an almost flawless shooting form. Not only can he shoot but he can drive it in, he can score in a variety of ways.

Example of Anderson's scoring abilty, as you see Anderson (#23) was scoring all over Xavier Henry, he even blocks one of his shots.

0TbdUsYZsxA

-He gets a steal around the 1:17 mark
-Quick three at around 1:23
-Nice assist around 1:50
-Drives it in against Henry and scores with 3 players around him
-Another quick 3 around 2:14
-Nice assist around 2:30
-Quick jump shot around 2:48
-Assist around 2:55
-Quick 3 around 3:50
-Takes it in strong for a lay up, once again Henry can't guard him 4:00 in
-Blocks Henry around 5:05
-Dunk at 5:28
-Clutch Block/Steal at 5:45

I'm excited about this guy, he's gonna have an easy time knocking down wide open shots. There is absolutely no reason he shouldn't have been a lottery pick, but thanks to his sore hamstring he dropped to the Spurs.

Richards reminds me of Odom. I'm not too sure about Splitter though, maybe Kaman with better defense?

TDMVPDPOY
06-27-2010, 09:56 PM
whats teh chances of splitter/stiffler being ROY?

scottspurs
06-27-2010, 10:31 PM
James Anderson is a lot bigger and stronger than derek anderson. Let's hope Juwan Howard doesn't take him out.

Steve-O-Matic
06-27-2010, 10:51 PM
Ryan Richards : Larry Nance

James Anderson : Allan Houston, poor man's Mitch Richmond

Tiago Splitter : Danny Schayes, shorter Rik Smits

admiralsnackbar
06-27-2010, 11:33 PM
whats teh chances of splitter/stiffler being ROY?

Given the amount of burn I expect him to get if he signs with us, I actually think he's a contender. As an international player, I can also see the NBA liking the PR side of his winning the honor.

Phenomanul
06-28-2010, 08:58 AM
Given the amount of burn I expect him to get if he signs with us, I actually think he's a contender. As an international player, I can also see the NBA liking the PR side of his winning the honor.

Which sounds good up to the part where he'll be competing against the likes of Blake Griffin and John Wall.

Muser
06-28-2010, 09:06 AM
Griffin has RoY locked up if he stays healthy.

admiralsnackbar
06-28-2010, 09:20 AM
Which sounds good up to the part where he'll be competing against the likes of Blake Griffin and John Wall.

Isn't Griffin a 2nd year already? Technically this would be his first season of play, but he signed a rookie contract on draft day if I'm not mistaken.