PDA

View Full Version : Does James Anderson shoot 3pt too much?

spursbird
06-27-2010, 11:43 PM
After looking at his stats in college, I found that in his 3rd year 44% of his shot attempts came from beyond the arc, but didn't get a high shooting percentage(34%). So what do you guys think? We know that Spurs need an efficient outside shooter, do you think he can quickly fit Spurs system? Or will he be benched like Mason last season?

Juanobili
06-27-2010, 11:48 PM
I think.... that we should wait and see.

Just my opinion.

Cane
06-27-2010, 11:49 PM
If you're a shooter you sure as hell better shoot. Pop hates it when shooters pass up their open looks ala Bonner.

Anderson also had to create a lot of opportunities for himself and the Spurs will get him better and easier looks with Manu, Duncan, etc. on the court.

spursbird
06-27-2010, 11:53 PM
If you're a shooter you sure as hell better shoot. Pop hates it when shooters pass up their open looks ala Bonner.

Anderson also had to create a lot of opportunities for himself and the Spurs will get him better and easier looks with Manu, Duncan, etc. on the court.
But if you suck at shooting and still keeps shooting, hmm...:rolleyes

Blackjack
06-27-2010, 11:55 PM
Anderson was forced to carry his Oklahoma State last year and take a lot of tougher shots because of just how much the defense was keying on him. Buford even made a point of mentioning it after they selected him.

Mr. Anderson is coming into an ideal situation for a shooter of his caliber: playing off of a dominant Big and two of the best slashers in the game. He'll be settin' up shop.

BoricuaCJA
06-27-2010, 11:57 PM
Like Juanobili said, lets wait for the summer league at least before we really say anything about his game.

ducks
06-27-2010, 11:57 PM
he needs to let it fly and hopefully in practice they go in so he can gain confidence

angelbelow
06-28-2010, 12:10 AM
well supposedly he was the main option so he was probably swarmed all the time on defense

kbrury
06-28-2010, 12:10 AM
As Blackjack said he was the offense there was no one else that he could consistently rely on. This also in my mind tells me that he should be able to focus more on Defense now that he isn't the #1 Option.

SenorSpur
06-28-2010, 12:46 AM

:lol

Or how about when you become a proflic, regular season, 3-pt shooter, but choke, spit up and vomit under playoff pressure?

DesignatedT
06-28-2010, 01:03 AM

He was arguably the best shooter in college basketball last year. an even better shooter than #2 evan turner.

what do you mean suck?

Chieflion
06-28-2010, 01:08 AM
He was arguably the best shooter in college basketball last year. an even better shooter than #2 evan turner.

what do you mean suck?

Roger Mason Jr was probably the reference.

spursbird
06-28-2010, 01:10 AM

what do you mean suck?
And Mason is a good shooter, but he sucked last season. I mean that when you just can't put the damn ball in the basket, is it wise to allow you keep shooting?

DesignatedT
06-28-2010, 01:22 AM
Oh. gotcha. The Mason ordeal was really weird IMO. He obviously lost it due to someting (mental, his hand injury) but the Spurs were so desperate for 3 pt shooting they really had no choice but to keep going to him, crossing their fingers that the slump would end. If we had the mason of 08-09 this last season then this team would have been significantly better IMO and Pop knew this hints why he continued to give him chance after chance.

06-28-2010, 01:29 AM
mason only really had a good half season. the rest 1.5 seasons, he just sucked. anderson should be working on his spot up three and defense all summer if he wants playing time. i don't want to see another mason out there.

Hooks
06-28-2010, 01:54 AM
Teams were focused on shutting this guy down which caused his 3pt % to go down, mostly all of his shots were contested catch and shoot shots. He's got a very quick release like Ray Allen which allowed him to get his shot off with defenders swarming him.

He landed in the perfect situation with the Spurs, in the NBA he won't be defended nearly as tough as he was in college which will lead to shots he can make with ease.

He should've been a lottery pick but because of his hamstring he wasn't 100% and skipped a lot of workouts, that is the only reason he slipped.

jason1301
06-28-2010, 01:55 AM
That!

Anderson was forced to carry his Oklahoma State last year and take a lot of tougher shots because of just how much the defense was keying on him. Buford even made a point of mentioning it after they selected him.

Mr. Anderson is coming into an ideal situation for a shooter of his caliber: playing off of a dominant Big and two of the best slashers in the game. He'll be settin' up shop.

and That!

mason only really had a good half season. the rest 1.5 seasons, he just sucked. anderson should be working on his spot up three and defense all summer if he wants playing time. i don't want to see another mason out there.

Dalamar_the_Dark
06-28-2010, 01:59 AM
Think why the Spurs took him cause he always had the ball in his hands come crunch time. He was the number 1 option meaning he can play when it matters. Maybe one reason why everyone thinks he sucks on defense is because he had to stay in the game for offense can couldn't afford to get into foul trouble? Reminds me of Blake Griffin.

spursfaninla
06-28-2010, 02:07 AM
Mason's shooting hand was injured. He wore something on his hand indicating that late in the season.

Don't know how much of his slump was the injury or if the injury was convenient to explain the slump, though.

spursbird
06-28-2010, 02:10 AM
Well, I just thought of Jack Mcclinton. He was considered a good shooter in college, but he sucked even in summer league games. Maybe I should not worry about that too much, but will Anderson become a bust? I heard that he has little ability to create shot for himself.

admiralsnackbar
06-28-2010, 02:27 AM
Well, I just thought of Jack Mcclinton. He was considered a good shooter in college, but he sucked even in summer league games. Maybe I should not worry about that too much, but will Anderson become a bust? I heard that he has little ability to create shot for himself.

Height difference is a factor between both players, not to mention their priority in their opponents' defensive schemes. Also, Anderson will get a chance to shoot himself out of a slump given he has a guaranteed contract -- something McClinton did not. Finally, there's a reason one went at 20 and the other deep into the 2nd rnd.

tdunk21
06-28-2010, 02:46 AM
he had to take so many shots because he was the only consistent scorer on his college team....thats what RC said in the post draft comments

BronxCowboy
06-28-2010, 05:45 AM

George Hill also compiled a brick library in Summer League, but did fine. The difference? McClinton's trouble was that he couldn't get his shot off cleanly. If he was 5 inches taller, it would have been a different story. I think Anderson should have no problem.

coyotes_geek
06-28-2010, 10:16 AM
After looking at his stats in college, I found that in his 3rd year 44% of his shot attempts came from beyond the arc, but didn't get a high shooting percentage(34%). So what do you guys think? We know that Spurs need an efficient outside shooter, do you think he can quickly fit Spurs system? Or will he be benched like Mason last season?

I'm normally pretty leery about college guys who put up big scoring numbers by shooting a lot of 3's. But I'm not worried about Anderson given the number of times he got to the free throw line. He's not some one-dimensional player who's only offensive option is to jack up college 3 pointers.

As for how efficient from 3 he'll be in the nba? I'd expect that the extra distance on the nba 3 will be cancelled out by him getting more open looks than he did in college. If Anderson is shooting in the mid 30s on his 3's over the course of the year I'll be happy.

As long as he's hitting his 3's at a decent clip and shows the neccessary effort on the defensive side he'll get the opportunity to play. The lack of depth this Spurs team has is going to create opportunities for Anderson.

boutons_deux
06-28-2010, 10:45 AM
34% ? that's worse than SJax when he was a Spur.

pad300
06-28-2010, 10:49 AM
I don't think you need to worry about it too much:

•James Anderson was nothing short of spectacular last season, and it shows here. His 1.07 overall PPP ranks second amongst all players, as do his 20 possessions used per-game. He was above the PPP every in every situation except for guarded catch and shoot situations, and has more experience running the pick and roll (2.9 Pos/G) than any other player on our rankings. High usage/high-efficiency players are extremely difficult to come by, and NBA teams may want to ponder if they’re missing the boat on Anderson due to the fact that he has not been spectacular in workouts. The same thing happened last year with Marcus Thornton.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Situational-Statistics-This-Yearas-Small-Forward-Crop-3503/#ixzz0sABYz7FL
http://www.draftexpress.com

The point where he was a below average scorer was on guarded Catch and Shoot situations - he should see a lot less of those when on the Spurs, as he will not be a 1st option. I suspect that very few of those 3pt'ers were open shots, given he was by far the dominant offensive option on that team.

dbestpro
06-28-2010, 11:01 AM
He should shoot when he is opened and pass when he is covered. In any case the ball should never be in his hands for longer than 3 seconds.

spursbird
06-28-2010, 11:02 AM
I don't think you need to worry about it too much:

The point where he was a below average scorer was on guarded Catch and Shoot situations - he should see a lot less of those when on the Spurs, as he will not be a 1st option. I suspect that very few of those 3pt'ers were open shots, given he was by far the dominant offensive option on that team.
I hope so. But I just read an article warning that Anderson has the possiblity to become the next Adam Morrison. They both dominated in college, but cannot create shots for themselves. I think whether he can fit the NBA quickly depends on how he learn to improve his ball handling.

coyotes_geek
06-28-2010, 01:06 PM
I hope so. But I just read an article warning that Anderson has the possiblity to become the next Adam Morrison. They both dominated in college, but cannot create shots for themselves. I think whether he can fit the NBA quickly depends on how he learn to improve his ball handling.

It's not really a fair comparison for a number of reasons. First, in fairness to Morrison, his injury situation needs to be taken into account. Morrison actually had a decent rookie year where he averaged 12ppg. Not exactly eye-popping numbers, but it's certainly enough to where I don't think you can use that one season and say that there wasn't ever any chance of him becoming an effective NBA player. After the injury he's just never been the same so we'll never know how good he could have been.

Second, Anderson is in a completely different situation than Morrison was in. Anderson isn't coming in with the pressure of being the #3 pick in the draft, nor is he going to be counted on to be one of the Spurs primary scoring threats this season. Offensively all Anderson will be asked to do this year is knock down some open 3's while looking to penetrate just enough to keep defenses honest.

Seventyniner
06-28-2010, 01:43 PM
It's not really a fair comparison for a number of reasons. First, in fairness to Morrison, his injury situation needs to be taken into account. Morrison actually had a decent rookie year where he averaged 12ppg. Not exactly eye-popping numbers, but it's certainly enough to where I don't think you can use that one season and say that there wasn't ever any chance of him becoming an effective NBA player. After the injury he's just never been the same so we'll never know how good he could have been.

Second, Anderson is in a completely different situation than Morrison was in. Anderson isn't coming in with the pressure of being the #3 pick in the draft, nor is he going to be counted on to be one of the Spurs primary scoring threats this season. Offensively all Anderson will be asked to do this year is knock down some open 3's while looking to penetrate just enough to keep defenses honest.

+1

Anderson is being put in a position to succeed, being the #4 (at best) option on offense for any given possession. He will never be counted on to be the primary scorer, and can focus on what he does best, which is shoot.

It's very hard to go from big scorer in college to big scorer in the NBA. Even Kevin Durant, while putting up good numbers, was pretty inefficient in his first two seasons.

BackHome
06-28-2010, 11:01 PM
I don't think most of us are lookin at him going seven for seven in threes. I think most of us want a vesitle guy someone who can create their own shot, mid range, three point range, and able to take it to the whole.

I think he can come in and average about 15pts and 5 rebounds a game. The question though is he going to take Hills SG minutes or RJ minutes or a combination of both?

The other question is with Temple was he a PG in college? And who has more of a chance backing up Tony.......Temple or Hill?

spursbird
06-28-2010, 11:14 PM
I don't think most of us are lookin at him going seven for seven in threes. I think most of us want a vesitle guy someone who can create their own shot, mid range, three point range, and able to take it to the whole.

I think he can come in and average about 15pts and 5 rebounds a game. The question though is he going to take Hills SG minutes or RJ minutes or a combination of both?

The other question is with Temple was he a PG in college? And who has more of a chance backing up Tony.......Temple or Hill?
15pts and 5 rebounds?:rollinWell in that case Dejuan Blair should have averaged 30pts and 20 rebounds last season.
About Temple, Draftexpress shows that he can play both pg and sg in college. But with so many talented guards in the team I don't see a chance for him to backup tp. Maybe he would just play in garbage time. And who to backup tp? You forgot the genuine pg-----------Manu.:toast

DPG21920
06-28-2010, 11:20 PM
Is this a question from the future?

Ditty
06-28-2010, 11:24 PM
james anderson could be like a jason richardson

that would be nice that got shot lights out and never knew he could

spursbird
06-29-2010, 12:19 AM
Is this a question from the future?
Well just a discussion. Not serious.