PDA

View Full Version : US MNT Thread : News, bullshit, and beating up on Mexico

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

MannyIsGod
06-28-2010, 12:59 AM
I was actually impressed at the amount of knowledgeable US fans here so maybe we can actually have a running news thread much like the MMA forum does. And really, since there isn't much to look forward to as a US MNT fan outside of the world cup (fucking Euros have all the fun) there is the LOLGOLD cup and Copa America if we go again.

In any event, I guess I'll get things started with how I think the team will look in four years

Assuming Davies recovers fully I think we'll have as good a set of forwards as we've ever hard. Altidore and Davies will obviously both still be in their primes, but the rest of our forwards will likely be too old and I don't see them hitting a much higher ceiling anyway. Findley is the only other young forward but he was pretty damn bad this WC so I don't expect much out of him anyway

Midfield looks great. Will probably still have Dempsey and Donovan but the youth movement is incredible. This WC will be remembered as Donovan's but really it was pretty close to being Bradley's. He was simply amazing and was the most consistent US player for me. Edu and Feilhabar both showed great signs and should be in their primes come Brazil in 2014. Allthough Torres didn't look very good in his one game he's definitely got a bright future and I'm looking forward to him. Don't laugh, but I still hold out faith in Freddy Adu developing into something worthwihle. He definitely has the talent and although most label him as a bust its worthwhile to remember the guy is only 21 years old. If he can find a work ethic to match his talent he may turn into a quality player.

Defense wise, we're losing the old guard of Bocanegra, Demerrit and Cherundulo but I think Gooch will still be around. Can Spector ever develop into a quality player?

urunobili
06-28-2010, 08:52 AM
no love for Onyewu?

Spurologist
06-28-2010, 10:33 AM
Adu must actually be like 28 years old....dude needs to take a bone density test. He just got released by his Greek club Aris. It's safe to say I'm not holding my breath anymore. He just can't seem to getting consistent playing time at any club he plays for. I have more hope for Eddie Johnson now. In retrospect, Johnson should've been there instead of Findley. Quite frankly, I was shocked Buddle made the final 23. He shut me up when he scored against Australia but he's just not a international player. He has a horrible first touch, below par soccer IQ and less than stellar speed. Eddie Johnson has all of that (except IQ) and a finishing touch. He plays for Greek club Aris and has been scoring. As far as forwards, I hope Altidore, Johnson, and Davies can gain more experience in Europe and we get couple more youngsters. 17 year old Jack Mcinerney played really well in the U20 national team and is now with Philadelphia Union. It still stings that New Jersey born Guiseppe Rossi decided to play for the Azzurri. LOL ITALY. I could only begin to think what he could have done for us. :bang

Midfield is definitely our biggest strength. Bradley's team BMG will getting some calls for his services I think. He's a great ball hawk. US played their best soccer when he was partnered with Edu. It allowed Bradley to play in a more advanced role to get into the attack. Clark has more speed than Edu but that's pretty much it. Edu seems more composed and showed class in his ball movement. Midfield wise, USA could be striking gold if Charles Renken and Joseph Gyau can develop their world class ability. They also played in the U20 national team. They impressed so much that they were picked up the Hoffenheim academy in Germany. Michael Hoyos is also a very talented 18 year old playing in Argentina right now and there's Mix Diskerud of Stabek in Norway. We are very deep in the midfield. Dempsey and Donovan should still be around to lead the next wave of US players.

As for defense, it is still worrying. Bocanegra/Demerit played decent at times but they are still average. Their lack of speed showed against Ghana and it sucked to give up easy goals. Demerit plays for Watford in the championship and hasn't exactly played against WC talent. Gooch is a good player but Bradley just didn't have confidence in him since he was coming back from injury. All of the back 4 are getting up there in years. Bocanergra and Demerit will certainly be out next time around in Brazil. Cherundolo is 31 so he's probably out too. Bornstein played well but I hope we get a better left back. I have zero confidence in Spector. If we can pick up Daniel Williams for the right back, that'd be awesome. He was born in Germany but he has an American father and he's only 20. He plays for Freiburg in Germany. It'll be interesting to see if we can pick him up because I don't think he's crack into Germany's lineup. As for other prospects, there is some promise in Gale Agbossoumonde who plays for Braga in Portugal, Ike Opara, Orozco, Eric Lichaj of Villa, Omar Gonzalez

The_Worlds_finest
06-28-2010, 10:59 AM
Manny,
Gold cup 11(winner qualifies for confed cup of 13)
Olympics12(enough said)
Confed cup 13(hopefully)
World cup brazil 14

Big tourney each year till world cup. Cant ask for more amigo!

Plus we have a friendly in NJ against Brazil August 10th
and a poland friendly TBD by end of year.

Since Bradly has taken the reigns The USA has been playing more games than ever before.

All in favor of a Dedicated USA Soccer forum say Aye!! AYE!

Kori please second this motion and lets get it up

Whisky Dog
06-28-2010, 11:13 AM
LMAO Freddy Adu. I feel bad for the kid, but that was a clear case as a kid developing faster than his peers but then around age 17 to 18 everyone else caught up. He's nothing but a bit player in weak leagues.

The US had a very good midfield but had two problems - no striker quality to finish and horrible back 4 who f'd up consistently. Fix that back line and you may have a contender or near contender.

MannyIsGod
06-28-2010, 11:36 AM
The problem is that outside of Davies and Altidore we really have nothing coming up the pipeline strikerwise. Just gotta pray that Altidore and Davies both improve to a solid pair because our Midfield looks damn good for 2014. `

Whisky Dog
06-28-2010, 11:46 AM
The problem is that outside of Davies and Altidore we really have nothing coming up the pipeline strikerwise. Just gotta pray that Altidore and Davies both improve to a solid pair because our Midfield looks damn good for 2014. `

Hopefully Altidore can develop into that world class striker by 2014 by playing in one of the top world leagues. If you look at it, every big world cup contender has that world class striker/finisher - Messi, Ozil/Close, Robinho, David Villa, Robben, etc. It's just something contenders have to have.

Sense
06-28-2010, 11:52 AM
Hopefully Altidore can develop into that world class striker by 2014 by playing in one of the top world leagues. If you look at it, every big world cup contender has that world class striker/finisher - Messi, Oziel/Close, Robinho, David Silva, Robben, etc. It's just something contenders have to have.

:lol

Ozil, Klose, David VILLA

lefty
06-28-2010, 11:53 AM
I agree that the U.S are 1 or 2 strikers away from being a very scary team, but they will also need to have future replacements for their midfielders

Donovan and Dempsey (Demp is a miedfielder, right?) are in their prime, so it's important to think ahead of the 2014 WC

Sense
06-28-2010, 11:58 AM
I agree that the U.S are 1 or 2 strikers away from being a very scary team, but they will also need to have future replacements for their midfielders

Donovan and Dempsey (Demp is a miedfielder, right?) are in their prime, so it's important to think ahead of the 2014 WC

I'm not sold on their defense, I think they have a good midfield with Dempsey and Bradley... but let's think about this for a second.

Tim Howard is 31....

Who can replace Howard? He didn't look too good in this World Cup.

I still think the USA has a long way to go.

The_Worlds_finest
06-28-2010, 12:01 PM
Bob Bradley might be on his way out. The article talks about our lack of strikers.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/5335896/ce/us/us-soccer-president-sunil-gulati-says-team-failed-expectations&cc=5901?ver=us

MannyIsGod
06-28-2010, 12:03 PM
You're right that after the England game Tim Howard didn't look outstanding and that was extremely disappointing. One of the biggest reasons the US was able to get to the Quarters in 02 was because of Brad Friedel and if Tim Howard's head isn't up his ass on the first Ghana goal then maybe we're in the quarters again.

We have good keeper talent and we always have though. The midfield has a lot of solid prospects even outside of Bradley and Edu so I think we'll be fine there. I agree our defense looks week and a lot of our future hopes are currently riding on Altidore and Davies up front.

Sense
06-28-2010, 12:07 PM
You're right that after the England game Tim Howard didn't look outstanding and that was extremely disappointing. One of the biggest reasons the US was able to get to the Quarters in 02 was because of Brad Friedel and if Tim Howard's head isn't up his ass on the first Ghana goal then maybe we're in the quarters again.

We have good keeper talent and we always have though. The midfield has a lot of solid prospects even outside of Bradley and Edu so I think we'll be fine there. I agree our defense looks week and a lot of our future hopes are currently riding on Altidore and Davies up front.

I agree, Bradley and Edu are solid. Torres hasn't shown much, but didn't get much of an opportunity.

You should be worried about Mexico though :)

Not to mention Franco and Blanco are just about done...
We have a great young goalkeeper in Ochoa, and Dos Santos, Chicharito, Barrera, Guardado, and Vela who are all still improving. We also need some work with our defense, our guys are getting older and a few positions on our midfield.

Overall I think we're on good track with lots of options.

MannyIsGod
06-28-2010, 12:08 PM
And I don't think a 35 year old Howard necessarily needs replacing. That isn't really old for a keeper.

Gulati had good and bad things to say about Bradley. I think he's still got a hard on for Klinnsman, though. Some of Klinnsman's comments this past weekend were pretty harsh towards Bradley but he's been very supportive of him in the past.

It will be interesting to see how MLS will now feel about releasing players for smaller competitions like Copa America and the Gold Cup because after this WC they have to see how their biggest avenue to fan base growth is going to be through the national team. Getting these guys exposure will only serve to help the MLS so I hope they stop being short sighted.

Sense
06-28-2010, 12:10 PM
And I don't think a 35 year old Howard necessarily needs replacing. That isn't really old for a keeper.

Gulati had good and bad things to say about Bradley. I think he's still got a hard on for Klinnsman, though. Some of Klinnsman's comments this past weekend were pretty harsh towards Bradley but he's been very supportive of him in the past.

It will be interesting to see how MLS will now feel about releasing players for smaller competitions like Copa America and the Gold Cup because after this WC they have to see how their biggest avenue to fan base growth is going to be through the national team. Getting these guys exposure will only serve to help the MLS so I hope they stop being short sighted.

Bradley didn't make too many mistakes, with the exception of the Ghana game where he started Clark. I've always feared him as a coach, he has exposed Mexico a lot of times in the past. Getting rid of him will be a mistake.

LoneStarState'sPride
06-28-2010, 12:11 PM
I know it's been beat to death, but the keyword is "strikers." Strikers, strikers, strikers. Midfield has been a strength, but we don't have anyone to legitimately strike fear into opponents on D.

I'm still confident in Altidore though--give or take a few inches, we'd still be alive in the WC and talking about Jozy with 2 goals in 2 wins for the USMNT.

The_Worlds_finest
06-28-2010, 12:16 PM
I agree, Bradley and Edu are solid. Torres hasn't shown much, but didn't get much of an opportunity.

You should be worried about Mexico though :)

Not to mention Franco and Blanco are just about done...
We have a great young goalkeeper in Ochoa, and Dos Santos, Chicharito, Barrera, Guardado, and Vela who are all still improving. We also need some work with our defense, our guys are getting older and a few positions on our midfield.

Overall I think we're on good track with lots of options.

Worried about mexico? LOL USA has left Mexico in the dust. What has it been the last decade 7-3-1? Worried about mexico HA! You guys should be worried about Honduras

Whisky Dog
06-28-2010, 12:20 PM

Ozil, Klose, David VILLA

LOL my stupid iPhone changes Villa to Silva and I didn't notice. What are the odds it changes the name to another guy who is actually on the team, freaky.

I'm sensing a goal from David Silva tomorrow, the gods are fortelling it LOL

Sense
06-28-2010, 12:31 PM
Worried about mexico? LOL USA has left Mexico in the dust. What has it been the last decade 7-3-1? Worried about mexico HA! You guys should be worried about Honduras

This Mexican team is nowhere near close to any of the teams in the past decade... even a homer like you should realize that.

scott
06-28-2010, 12:37 PM
There is a lot of young talent coming through the MLS academies - the first batches just hitting the league now. We'll see what they bring.

I agree with everything else. Midfield will remain a strength. Holden going to Europe will get him some good experience too.

GK we shouldn't have to worry about. Even without Howard, we have lots of talent there.

Striker and defense. Must improve greatly.

Spurologist
06-28-2010, 12:54 PM
I'm not sold on their defense, I think they have a good midfield with Dempsey and Bradley... but let's think about this for a second.

Tim Howard is 31....

Who can replace Howard? He didn't look too good in this World Cup.

I still think the USA has a long way to go.

Brad Guzan of Aston Villa is pretty good. He's only 25

scott
06-28-2010, 01:12 PM
Rumors are that Man City and Chelsea are both interested in Landon. I think the Galaxy can pretty much kiss him goodbye at this point.

Will be interesting to see what teams go after Bradley as well. I think Howard's performance this cup will leave him in Everton.

scott
06-28-2010, 01:15 PM
PS: I love this thread too. Hopefully we can get it stickied. On another note - how about a dedicated Soccer/Football/Futbol forum?

Whisky Dog
06-28-2010, 01:18 PM
PS: I love this thread too. Hopefully we can get it stickied. On another note - how about a dedicated Soccer/Football/Futbol forum?

I'm down with that. Between Premier, La Liga, Champions League, etc there's plenty of things going on all the time.

Spurologist
06-28-2010, 01:27 PM
US Soccer Prez Gulalti said he US soccer didn't meet expectations and he expects to have a meeting with Bradley very soon. I couldn't be happier. Bradley will probably be canned.

Bukefal
06-28-2010, 03:09 PM

:tu good idea.

As for US football. I think your future is bright. You've showed this WC what you have got and you showed that you are not 'little' anymore. You have good players and the will to fight. Too bad you did not advance. US NT is still developing and is getting better every time.

I like Donovan. He is a great player. A new favorite. He'll probably move to some big club.

Whisky Dog
06-28-2010, 03:38 PM
What the US really needs is to have more and more kids come up and make the best European leagues. Taking dudes from the MLS is like taking guys from the D League to play on the Olympics. The US needs the majority of their players playing in top European leagues to get that skill and guile of the best teams.

For that matter the same is true of Mexico too.

LoneStarState'sPride
06-28-2010, 04:05 PM
What the US really needs is to have more and more kids come up and make the best European leagues. Taking dudes from the MLS is like taking guys from the D League to play on the Olympics. The US needs the majority of their players playing in top European leagues to get that skill and guile of the best teams.

For that matter the same is true of Mexico too.

I know this has already been beat to death in other threads, but the above is PRECISELY why the US will be an also-ran (albeit a decent also-ran) on the world soccer scene for many years to come. Simply put, we Americans tend not to place our fervor for the sport over domestic success. Unlike basketball players from around the world who want with every fiber of their being to compete with the best in the world in the NBA, most of our youth are content to pursue (and excel) in the NFLs, NBAs, and MLBs of our country--the rest of the world be damned. It's a hard sell for the soccer movement in America: "Hey [insert athlete's name here], you're an amazing athlete, how'd you like to bring your talent to Europe and play for a team no one back home even knows exists and play a sport most of your peers in your country don't give a shit about save every 4 years?" compared to say, offering them an NFL contract and the near-instant recognition and respect it brings in the USA. The athlete would be extremely unlikely to pick the first one, even if he knew he could make more money internationally.

I know this is changing, but the biggest hindrance to the US being competitive in soccer on an international stage is not a lack of sport savvy or even the length of time in between WCs--it's the fact that the best leagues are outside the States.

scott
06-28-2010, 04:19 PM
I agree - instead of pushing our best players to go overseas (while it does get them great experience), in the long run we need to up the level of MLS so that it gets our kids more excited about their local team and playing.

I think Beckham was a good first start to the right strategy, getting high profile players over here. We simply can't compete financially with the top leagues right now, so I think going after guys who might be on the tail end of the careers is a good idea. They can obvious still compete physically with MLS players (enough to even be all-stars here), so they are upping the game here as well. Henry is already rumored to be coming, and I think guys like Ballack and Ronaldinho would also be good targets.

mabrignani
06-28-2010, 04:26 PM
bring back friedel!

The_Worlds_finest
06-28-2010, 05:58 PM
Klinsmann summed it up "Here the kids pay to go to camps to get better, everywhere outside of USA its the other way around". I say we give the reigns to him. See what he can develop. The only thing that kept him from coach over Bradley was wanting access to MLS players for national call ups. WTF is wrong with that and why TF would you question a legend, who is willing to help what the rest of the world considers the "devil" aka USA national soccer.

SpursTillTheEnd
06-28-2010, 06:22 PM
The usa had a great striker whats his name the one the coach benched and never played? Oh yea that's right buddle, how are yall gonna say we didn't have great striker, we had one of the best on the bench thanks to dumb ass bradley

The_Worlds_finest
06-28-2010, 07:46 PM
The usa had a great striker whats his name the one the coach benched and never played? Oh yea that's right buddle, how are yall gonna say we didn't have great striker, we had one of the best on the bench thanks to dumb ass bradley

The USA great striker was out partying and almost killed himself the night before an important match. (Fuck you charlie davies)

scott
06-28-2010, 07:48 PM
Tristan Bowen could be one name to keep an eye on. 5'11" striker for LA.

There is also this kid Bobby Wood who is on the squad for 1860 Munich, but I've not heard much about him.

MannyIsGod
06-28-2010, 09:59 PM
Rumors are that Man City and Chelsea are both interested in Landon. I think the Galaxy can pretty much kiss him goodbye at this point.

Will be interesting to see what teams go after Bradley as well. I think Howard's performance this cup will leave him in Everton.

I would be shocked not to see a top team go after Bradley. Donovan made the big splash with the big goals, but Bradley just dominated the mid in nearly every game. In retrospect he was pretty god damn good.

I'd heard the Man City rumor but not Chelsea. He'd probably do much better with play time at Man City.

MannyIsGod
06-28-2010, 10:05 PM
You guys need to realize that Klinnsman HAD the reigns four years ago but turned them down due to MLS not wanting to guarntee player availability for the gold can copa america. Now US Soccer is saying no chance of us playing in Copa America in 2011 (mistake, IMO - even if we didn't get invited I'm sure we could weasel our way in). These in guys need to play top flight tournaments and I'm sorry but the Gold cup just seems like a bunch of bullshit until the US and Mexico meet in the final.

The Confed cup is better but its not huge either. And there isn't exactly a lock of us getting in.

Obviously the team is getting better and the project 2010 was a huge success even if its goal was a pipe dream but they have to find a way to build on that program and the current US academy and not just be satisfied with status quo.

MannyIsGod
06-28-2010, 10:44 PM
Also, although I really do think Bradley did a great job I do think his errors were very noticeable.

I don't blame him with trying to play Gooch. I just can't blame those efforts and they never really killed us. But I can blame him for going back to Clark for no perceptible reason. That selection was magnified by Clark's mistake that led to the big goal, but really Clark should never have been in considering the play of Edu and Fieldhaber.

Also, I mentioned the lack of Ching as upsetting to me before the tournament. I felt that in a way they owed it to him to bring him and it was tough seeing it come at the expense of someone who I don't feel earned their spot in the cup in Findley. Once they played the games Findley did nothing to change my perception of him coming in and while Gomez and Buddle didn't do much Gomez at least had a hand in Bradley's amazing goal and Buddle wasn't really given much of a shot. Leaving Ching off for Findley was a huge mistake.

Other than that, you have to wonder how well the team was prepared for the Ghana game. Given the shorter turnaround and the enormity of Donovan's goal I'm not sure if Bradley or anyone else could have gotten them past that and focused faster but I think the running theme as we all know was the early lack of focus leading to goals.

Still, every coach will make mistakes and unfortunately Bradley's get magnified by the lack of forward talent on this team, injuries, and unprecedented emotional levels.

PS Anyone who mentions nepotism in the Bradley father son situation on this team needs to go find out what nepotism actually is.

MannyIsGod
06-29-2010, 05:22 PM
A daily recap of the Dan Patrick Show ...
Q&A with Bob Bradley

DP: How long did it take to get over the loss to Ghana?
BB: I'm still going through the process. When a team has put a lot into it and it ends quickly, I think it takes a little while.
DP: What was the locker room like after the loss? How long was it before you said something?
BB: I went around to each individual when they were sitting there and thanked everybody. We didn't actually talk to the whole group until the next day.
DP: If I could give you a mulligan, what would you do differently with your lineup against Ghana?
BB: I don't think I'd change the lineup as much as I'd change the way we've started some games. We just put ourselves in the hole too many times. Ultimately, we kept fighting back, but when we did it again to start the overtime, it just seemed to be too much.
DP: Do you think you were better than Ghana?
BB: I think we are, yes.
DP: Is there one aspect you have to improve if you're going to remain head coach?
BB: When you look at all the games, we created a good number of chances. That's always something you're trying to do. But at the end of the day, I don't think we took our chances as well as we needed. Particularly in the Ghana game, I think we gave up three chances, and they scored twice. We probably created five or six good chances, and our only goal came off a penalty kick.
DP: How would you rate this World Cup appearance for the U.S.?
BB: It's hard for me to say. We certainly felt very good about the way we went through the first round. We responded well every game, and I think we felt good about that. We had visions of taking that and doing something pretty special. When it ends quickly, it's not always that easy to assess. The one thing that we're proud of is that we had four strong performances as far as giving everything we had. That's always a starting point, but that doesn't always win games by itself.
DP: When will you find out about your future as U.S. soccer head coach?
BB: I think it will be a normal thing, that at the end of a World Cup there's a process. That's on both sides, in terms of figuring out the future. There's a lot that goes into the four-year effort. From the U.S. Soccer side, there's an assessment of not only the World Cup but also of everything that has gone on for four years. Do they think it's a good thing for a coach to do a second cycle? And from my side, whenever seasons end you take a little time to assess where you are and what other challenges and opportunities there might be.
DP: Do you want to stay on as head coach?
BB: I certainly would be honored to continue, because I don't think we've written the final chapter of this group. But like I said, it's a period of time in which I think on both sides, people take a step back and assess things. We'll see what happens.
DP: Have you or your agent been contacted by the MLS or teams in Europe to coach?
BB: At this point, there have been some rumors flying around, but I think it's too early to say what any of it means.
DP: Where do the rumors start?
BB: I think the rumors typically start with the media, where when somebody might be available, they connect some dots. But I think at this point, it's too early.
DP: Have you been offered an MLS job, or the Fulham job?
BB: No. Not at this time.
DP: Finish this statement: "When I look back at the 2010 World Cup ... "
BB: In the moment, I still feel a little bit gutted. We had something going that we thought could go further, and it didn't.
DP: After what the U.S. did, what do you think is the follow-up or end result of this?
BB: On the inside of the team, the follow-up is the sense of good work that has gotten us to a point where we felt we could do more, and how you have to build on that over the next four years. From the outside perspective, it's harder to say. We certainly heard that there was a tremendous amount of excitement throughout the United States. We've received a lot of nice compliments for what our team was all about. But I don't have a good enough feel for that, because obviously we're focused just on our job.
DP: Did you meet President Clinton? How did that go?
BB: I did, a couple of times. He was tremendous. He came in after the game, showed a tremendous amount of respect for the players and understood how much they had put into it. I've always heard that he's a very, very charismatic person. Having been around him a few times now, that's absolutely true.
DP: I saw him slugging down a few beers with you guys.
BB: After the Algeria game, there was a good level of excitement and emotion. He came in and was really just one of the guys for a while. Everybody absolutely appreciated that and felt honored by that.
DP: Did you ever get any clarification on the call against Slovenia?
BB: No. Typically, you don't, so that's not a surprise.
DP: Shouldn't you at least get some clarification for your gamesmanship and so you don't do it again? Isn't it ridiculous?
BB: Yes, that's true. But we're very used to a situation like the NFL, where if there is a missed call they're going to come out with a detailed explanation and let everybody know what happened. I don't think FIFA operates quite the same way.
DP: What about replay on goals? Are you for that?
BB: I am. I've always said that goals are hard to come by in soccer. I'm 100 percent for [replay] for balls over the line. That should count.
DP: Do you realize how many Americans were watching?
BB: I've heard, and I've gotten a good feeling. I'm excited about that.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/danpatrick/blog/117841/index.html?eref=fromSI#ixzz0sHdGBp91
Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription (http://tcr81.tynt.com/ads/2/0sHdGBp91)

FkLA
06-29-2010, 07:44 PM
The USA has the population, diversity, technology, and money to be a world power in soccer...unfortunately the interest isnt there. If even one or two kids out of every ten of these freak athletes we see in American sports chose soccer over football, basketball, baseball, etc they'd be set. The interest level just isnt there and the strides being made are still too small. Its going to take alot to get there and ESPN showing clips of LT's rape instead of Donovan's goal sure as hell isnt helping the case. The sports media needs to give soccer more coverage so young kids can be exposed to the sport, not just once every four years.

scott
06-30-2010, 10:45 AM
Rumors circulating that Clint Dempsey could be going to Serie A club Napoli. The club is also rumored to be intereted in Altidore.

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1614/americans-abroad/2010/06/29/2002171/report-napoli-target-fulham-and-usa-international-clint

Rumors also that Bob Bradley could be pegged as the next Fulham coach if he is not staying the the USMNT.

MannyIsGod
06-30-2010, 11:41 AM

Fullham is so American.

symple19
06-30-2010, 03:43 PM
Okay, I'm done mourning and ready to move on, great thread, btw, Manny

Other than the Clark gaff, I thought Bradley did a pretty damn good job. For whatever reason the team just couldn't figure out how to start a game competently, with the exception of Algeria. If it had been only one game, I'd say Bradley may have been the problem, but in 3 of 4 games I think you have to look to the players, specifically the defense. Most of the allowed goals were due to mental lapses and not errors in strategy/tactics. The players succumbing to long-ball in the England game was certainly not BBs fault.

I would still prefer JK, but if BB stays I'd be okay with the decision.

Libri
06-30-2010, 11:37 PM
Bill Hamid is another top prospect. He's a 19 year old goalkeeper of DC United.

http://www.dcunited.com/blog/2010/05/hamid-on-abc-7-500-pm-news

velik_m
07-02-2010, 11:14 AM
US soccer needs to step away from the traditional american way of letting the schools teach kids to play and adopt the more efficient european model of clubs developing the players.

scott
07-05-2010, 11:55 AM
Rumors now that Dempsey is being eyed by AC Milan. I like that he has drawn that type of attention, but I don't know if he'll get that much playing time.

Spurologist
07-05-2010, 01:34 PM
Rumors now that Dempsey is being eyed by AC Milan. I like that he has drawn that type of attention, but I don't know if he'll get that much playing time.

yeah....Fulham is the ideal type team for him if he wants consistent playing time. Gooch is there but he's hardly played and if he doesn't impress in the few times he'll be on the pitch, he'll be going to a smaller club.

MannyIsGod
07-15-2010, 12:12 PM
RENl2Y8anAk

MannyIsGod
07-15-2010, 09:07 PM
Galaxy Sounders match was the highest rated match of the season - much as I expected. The MLS is basically saying they're not going to let Donovan go anywhere because he means too much to the league. We'll see how it plays out.

MannyIsGod
07-26-2010, 05:26 PM
Damn Brazil sending the D team.

Brazil National Team Roster by Position
GOALKEEPERS (3): Jeferson (Botafogo), Renan (Avaí), Victor (Gremio),
DEFENDERS (8): André Santos (Fenerbahçe), Daniel Alves (Barcelona), David Luís (Benfica), Henrique (Racing Santander), Marcelo (Real Madrid), Rafael (Manchester Utd.), Rever (Atlético Mineiro), Thiago Silva (AC Milan)
MIDFIELDERS (8): Carlos Eduardo (Hoffenheim), Ederson (Lyon), Hernanes (São Paulo), Jucilei (Corinthians), Lucas (Liverpool), Paulo Henrique Ganso (Santos), Ramires (Benfica), Sandro (Internacional)
FORWARDS (5): Alexandre Pato (AC Milan), André (Santos), Diego Tardelli (Atlético Mineiro), Neymar (Santos), Robinho (Santos)

Spurologist
07-26-2010, 06:31 PM
Damn Brazil sending the D team.

Brazil National Team Roster by Position
GOALKEEPERS (3): Jeferson (Botafogo), Renan (Avaí), Victor (Gremio),
DEFENDERS (8): André Santos (Fenerbahçe), Daniel Alves (Barcelona), David Luís (Benfica), Henrique (Racing Santander), Marcelo (Real Madrid), Rafael (Manchester Utd.), Rever (Atlético Mineiro), Thiago Silva (AC Milan)
MIDFIELDERS (8): Carlos Eduardo (Hoffenheim), Ederson (Lyon), Hernanes (São Paulo), Jucilei (Corinthians), Lucas (Liverpool), Paulo Henrique Ganso (Santos), Ramires (Benfica), Sandro (Internacional)
FORWARDS (5): Alexandre Pato (AC Milan), André (Santos), Diego Tardelli (Atlético Mineiro), Neymar (Santos), Robinho (Santos)

I like the coach giving the youngsters a chance to impress. That lineup is still hella good.

EduRiker
07-26-2010, 06:48 PM
Dont fool yourselves though, this Brazil squad is SOLID. And it looks like the new coach is convinced on bringing back jogo bonito.

Victor, Dani Alves, Thiago Silva, David Luis, Marcelo; Hernanes, Ramires, Ganso; Robinho, Neymar and Pato.

Expect goals. From both sides.

Libri
07-26-2010, 07:02 PM
I'm interested in seeing Neymar. Chelsea offered £17m for him but got rejected.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1296313/Chelsea-make-17m-Santos-starlet-Neymar--wanted-West-Ham-Manchester-City.html

Spurologist
07-26-2010, 08:46 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/ferguson-backs-bradley-fulham-job

I hate Sir Alex but he's backing Bob Bradley to take the Fulham job too. Please Bob.....take the job....you can funnel in American talent and get a challenge in Europe.

It would be nice to have an American coach in the EPL...plus the US needs to get a technical coach

MannyIsGod
07-28-2010, 08:27 PM
Anyone watching MLS AS Man U?

MannyIsGod
07-28-2010, 09:47 PM
Pretty entertaining game.

Sense
07-28-2010, 10:43 PM
I heard Chicharito got his first goal with ManU

Dinamita
07-28-2010, 11:00 PM
CuSC4oidKKc

MannyIsGod
07-28-2010, 11:06 PM
I heard Chicharito got his first goal with ManU

Yeah, was pretty nice. He had another shot earlier he probably should have converted.

MannyIsGod
07-28-2010, 11:07 PM
Oh he was OS though :lol

Dinamita
07-28-2010, 11:08 PM
He was in line with the defender on the bottom

http://i31.tinypic.com/vne59s.png

Edit found an HD pic

http://i30.tinypic.com/2v34m1i.jpg

Libri
07-28-2010, 11:22 PM
Very nice goal and technique by Chicharito.

Sense
07-29-2010, 10:46 AM
Great goal indeed....

hope he keeps it up.

scott
08-03-2010, 03:51 PM
I'm thinking of headed to Frisco to watch FC Dallas v. Inter Thursday. Anyone else going to be there?

SAtown
08-03-2010, 04:19 PM
I'm thinking of headed to Frisco to watch FC Dallas v. Inter Thursday. Anyone else going to be there?

I definitely would if I could. I went up to Houston last week to watch Man U and it was a blast

scott
08-03-2010, 04:21 PM
Yeah I had a great time in Houston. Are you a member of the Crocketteers?

SAtown
08-03-2010, 05:13 PM
Nah, but i know of them and visit their website every now and then. I hear they're good people

scott
08-03-2010, 09:04 PM
Definitely good people (I'm a paid member and actually their first sponsor, so I might be biased!) - leading the charge to get MLS to SA.

scott
08-03-2010, 11:55 PM
Decided against FC Dallas... instead I'm headed to New York for the US v. Brazil game. Hopefully we have some of our World Cup team on the pitch

MannyIsGod
08-05-2010, 12:31 PM
You got a pretty good core from the WC on the roster, Scott.

G: Tim Howard, Brad Guzan

DEF: Jonathan Bornstein, Jonathan Spector, Carlos Bocanegra, Clarence Goodson, Chad Marshall, Steve Cherundolo

MID: Landon Donovan, Maurice Edu, Alejandro Bedoya, Sacha Kljestan, Benny Feilhaber, Jermaine Jones, Michael Bradley

STR: Edson Buddle, Herculez Gomez, Robbie Findley

He's going to start Findley and I'm going to puke. Midfield should be interesting, though.

MannyIsGod
08-05-2010, 12:32 PM
Also, looks like Altidore is on his way to Turkey at Besitakas. Not sure how I feel about that.

lefty
08-05-2010, 12:52 PM
Also, looks like Altidore is on his way to Turkey at Besitakas. Not sure how I feel about that.
The Turkish League is not bad at all

As long as one goes to one of the big 3 teams - Besiktas, Fenerbahce, Galatasaray, it's fine

Those clubs are regulars in Euro tournaments, and if Altidore does well in Turkey, he can be noticed by good Euro clubs

scott
08-05-2010, 01:45 PM
Really excited to see Jones paired with Bradley in the midfield. Would have liked to see a young striker in there to get some experience

MannyIsGod
08-05-2010, 01:58 PM
I'm fairly annoyed Gonzales isn't going to be there. Watching the Galaxy play recently has shown me what a beast he is.

MannyIsGod
08-05-2010, 09:56 PM
Ok so they changed the roster tonight. Omar is in after all as is Jozy.

What does this tell me? US Soccer has an official who follows Spurstalk and they hate Scott and love me. Sorry Scott. Actually I was excited about Jones too. Bummer.

Big Jeezy and Gonzo Added To US Squad
Posted 2010/08/05 by matthewsf in Uncategorized. 4 Comments
From US Soccer

What does the roster addition say about Jozy's club situation?
Villarreal striker Jozy Altidore has been added to the U.S. Men’s National Team roster for the match against five-time FIFA World Cup champions Brazil on Aug. 10 at the New Meadowlands Stadium, replacing Jermaine Jones.
Altidore appeared in all four matches in the 2010 FIFA World Cup. A former New York Red Bull and a native of Livingston, N.J., he has nine goals in 29 career games for the full team.
Jones initially accepted the invite, but after further discussions will remain with FC Schalke to prepare for his first competitive matches in more than a year after recovering from a shin injury.
Los Angeles Galaxy defender Omar Gonzalez will be part of the U.S. squad in place of Columbus Crew center back Chad Marshall, who has withdrawn from the roster. Gonzalez, the 2009 MLS Rookie of the Year, will have the chance to earn his first international cap after having participated in national team training camp in January.
The rest of the US roster…

The future is now for Gonzo....
Redress:
• In our humble opinion, an embarrassing moment for US Soccer on the Jermaine Jones front. If the US announced the roster some weeks ago and Jones now declined, that would be somewhat permissable.
However, you have to wonder what was happening behind the scenes that led to Jones accepting the invitation and then declining.
• The US also continues to call up Chad Marshall: to January Camp, to the World Cup 30-man and now to Brazil.
All in all highly perplexing from US Soccer if a player is going to continually be physically unable to perform.
• Jozy Altidore being called in is interesting. A local Villarreal report today says a Besiktas deal for Jozy is not completed and that Galatasary are still in the running for Altidore’s service. Besiktas is apparently a loan and Galatasary a $3M outright purchase.
What’s interesting is that Besiktas plays Villarreal on Sunday when Jozy is due to report into camp.
—–
Here’s the thing. You, USSF, scheduled the friendly. You already knew about potential conflicts, and you already knew that it was a tight turnaround (Gulati and crew easily thinking dollars first, but I don’t think that’s a terrible thing).
You knew you were going to call a veteran squad. Why all the confusion now?
For perspective, Brazil got ousted from the World Cup one round later than the United States. The Brazilians have watched their coach walk away, hired a new one and already set a roster with a mix of veterans and promising players.
—–
Oh….fine….TSG knows you are real and lurking out there.

Jermaine Jones (on left)

MannyIsGod
08-05-2010, 09:57 PM
http://theshinguardian.com/2010/08/05/big-jeezy-and-gonzo-added-to-us-squad/

MannyIsGod
08-05-2010, 09:59 PM
Also, it seems as though Jozy is pretty much headed to Turkey but its not certain which club as of yet.

TheTruth
08-06-2010, 05:40 AM
Update on the US Under 20 squad.

Powers was named the Milk Cup's most valuable player, but he wasn't the only one who impressed. Others included:

• Gale Agbossoumonde: The 6-foot-2 center back captained the team and scored the first goal in the final. With his size and composure on the ball (honed at S.C. Braga in Portugal), he may be the surest bet to suit up for the senior national team one day.

"Bob [Bradley] and I talk and I told him that [Agbossoumonde] has special qualities," Rongen said. "He's almost too comfortable playing the ball out of the back, always looking for people in a forward position, but that is easier to break than trying to teach technical ability."

Agbossoumonde, like Powers, was on the 2007 U-20 World Cup team but was young and played sparingly. "Now, he has become a pro," Rongen said.

• Alex Molano: If there was a breakout performer for the U.S., it was Molano, an attacking midfielder who plays for NK Dinamo Zagreb in Croatia. "Up the middle we had two center backs [Agbossoumonde and Akron's Perry Kitchen] comfortable starting the attack out of the back, connecting with Powers and then Molano, who gives us elements tactically and physically of that traditional No. 10 passer," Rongen said. "We were pleased with what we saw from him."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/george_dohrmann/08/05/milk.cup/index.html?eref=sihp#ixzz0voyLwM00

MannyIsGod
08-06-2010, 08:32 AM
Gawd we need good forwards so bad and it seems like they just don't exist. I hope Jozy and Charlie get the shit done for the next 2 cups.

Spurstro
08-06-2010, 09:13 AM
Update on the US Under 20 squad.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/george_dohrmann/08/05/milk.cup/index.html?eref=sihp#ixzz0voyLwM00

"Bob [Bradley] and I talk and I told him that [Agbossoumonde] has special qualities," Rongen said. "He's almost too comfortable playing the ball out of the back, always looking for people in a forward position, but that is easier to break than trying to teach technical ability."

Am I missing something when they say that "he's too comfortable playing the ball out of the back?" Isn't that what we want to develop in a center back rather than just clearing the ball just for the sake of clearing it?

Maybe he's saying that he's not careful enough or lackadaisical?

MannyIsGod
08-06-2010, 11:40 AM
All it takes is one mistake. I think he's alluding to the fine line between being comfortable and being complacent.

Spurstro
08-06-2010, 12:18 PM
I just cringe when I here Rongen and a young U.S. center back in the same sentence.

lefty
08-07-2010, 12:38 PM
Karim Zian scored a nice goal today on Everton and Tim Howard

Fuck you Karim, you couldnt beat Howard during the WC ? :bang

MannyIsGod
08-07-2010, 12:43 PM
I've watched every Galaxy game after the world cup and while there are some good players on that team and I can easily see why they've dominated the MLS to this point I can't help but feel so bad for Lando. He's pretty much stuck there when its obvious he could play somewhere much better. Everytime I see someone misplay an easy ball or just play a bad pass its so frustrating. He literally dominates when he's on the ball in those games.

Now, that being said I really do like some of the Galaxy players. Omar Gonzales IS their defense although Franklin is also pretty good. Joninho is pretty fun to watch and I've actually been impressed a lot with Tristan Bowen. Buddle is good as well but they all just seem a few levels below Donovan.

MannyIsGod
08-09-2010, 12:43 AM
g81bgEqPASU

TheTruth
08-09-2010, 08:24 AM
Has Danny Mwanga decided what country he's going to play for? The guy is instantly our #1 forward heading into 2014. Kid is sick.

An Altidore, Dempsey, Donovan, Mwanga attack would be the best the US has ever had.

Same with that Colombian cat Najar. US is going after more and more foreign born players with dual citizinships. A very smart move.

MannyIsGod
08-09-2010, 11:47 AM
I still rank a healthy Davies ahead of Mwanga.

Spurstro
08-09-2010, 01:12 PM
Martin O'neil out at Villa.

Who would like to see Bob Bradley to Aston Villa with its American owner? Followed by purchases of Michael Bradley and Landon Donavon?

Spurologist
08-09-2010, 05:47 PM
Has Danny Mwanga decided what country he's going to play for? The guy is instantly our #1 forward heading into 2014. Kid is sick.

An Altidore, Dempsey, Donovan, Mwanga attack would be the best the US has ever had.

Same with that Colombian cat Najar. US is going after more and more foreign born players with dual citizinships. A very smart move.

Mwanga has said he would love to play for the US instead of Congo. It's still early to see if he'll pan out IMO. Davies/Altidore are still clearly better at this point.....very exciting to get more prospects though. Another Columbian cat to watch out for is Juan Agudelo of the Red Bulls and US U20 side. The wait for a US primetime scorer in Europe continues.

MannyIsGod
08-16-2010, 02:20 PM
Bradley scores

_1-qWCvVo5s

BTW Mwenga has said he wants to play for the US but he can't get citizenship until early next year. We'll see how it goes.

Libri
08-18-2010, 01:25 PM
I missed that Sacha Kljestan is now playing for Anderlecht. We'll see if this helps his game.

MannyIsGod
08-18-2010, 02:59 PM
Next friendly is against Poland at Soldier Field in Chicago. Expect a huge crowd of poles.

scott
08-18-2010, 04:12 PM
I understand they want to ensure big crowds, but it's ridiculous how the USMNT never has a true home game because they schedule all of them in places that are bound to have a huge crowd favoring the opposing team. The Brazil game was absurd in that respect, it was 75% Brazil fans.

MannyIsGod
08-18-2010, 04:21 PM
All I care about is getting new blood into these games. I want to see some more Omar, maybe some Tim Ream, Sean Franklin and maybe Tristan Bowen up front. Shit, if maybe even Stephens so it can be like an LA Galaxy game. I wonder if we'll get to see Jones in this one.

Also, who will be the coach!?!??!?!

MannyIsGod
08-22-2010, 08:05 PM
I missed that Sacha Kljestan is now playing for Anderlecht. We'll see if this helps his game.

He had a nice goal yesterday fFEZMS5yuEI

scott
08-22-2010, 09:21 PM
Bob Bradley quoted on ESPN.com saying he would be honored to talk to Aston Villa about their open position and his agents have reached out to the club to try to arrange an interview.

MannyIsGod
08-22-2010, 09:50 PM
Nice. The more I've thought about it the more I'd like a change at the coaching spot. Need someone who will embrace a more fluid offensive style.

scott
08-22-2010, 09:52 PM
We need someone who will embrace never putting Ricardo Clark, Edson Buddle or Robbie Findley into a game again.

MannyIsGod
08-22-2010, 10:18 PM

Edson Buddle is going to play for this team until someone better comes along. Even with a healthy Davies you don't have any better options on the bench. `

scott
08-23-2010, 12:11 AM
I'll even take Findley over Buddle. Buddle is a great MLS scorer, but his first touch is so horrid it makes him a huge liability in international play. Findley at least creates the occassional chance with good passses (see the Turkey game - Findley to Donovan to Joze).

MannyIsGod
08-23-2010, 12:15 AM
Oh god no Scott. Buddle's touch is MUCH better than Findley. I can't agree with you at all there. Not to mention he's much stronger in the box. I just can't agree that Findley does anything better than Buddle outside of running.

Libri
08-23-2010, 12:22 AM
He had a nice goal yesterday fFEZMS5yuEI

Yup nice goal, 7th minute. He played 87 minutes.

scott
08-23-2010, 12:35 AM
Look at any time Buddle recieves a pass... he take away all momemtum by chasing down the ball he Buddled 5 yards away. Look at his goal versus Australia, a good strike but it was a poor run.

MannyIsGod
08-23-2010, 01:32 AM
I'd go as far to say that currently Buddle is the best pure finisher the US has. Now, he's at an age where I don't expect him to see a big role in 2014 but I expect to see him featured at the next Gold Cup for sure.

Right now, I'm taking Altidore, Buddle, Gomez, a healthy and fit Davies to the Gold Cup. Findley should never see another game on the team. If Davies isn't fit then I'm not sure who would be the likely fill in but maybe Tristan Bowen or you just take 3 forwards.

I really am surprised you are taking Findley's touch over Buddle's though. Buddle has been nicknamed Sweet Feet. Findley's got speed but he lacks everything else.

MannyIsGod
08-23-2010, 01:37 AM
You put Findley on the end of this ball and its over the endline for a GK.

7COj4VnBP_c

MannyIsGod
08-28-2010, 01:00 AM
http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/news/_/id/5505040/klinsmann-gulati-discuss-us-coaching-job

Fap away.

scott
08-28-2010, 06:20 PM
http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/news/_/id/5505040/klinsmann-gulati-discuss-us-coaching-job

Fap away.

Just got wood.

TheTruth
08-29-2010, 09:33 AM
I think it's time to take the American game into a more European style of play anyway. Not sure if Klinsmann is the best man for the job, but he's probably the best we can afford.

scott
09-01-2010, 09:12 AM
Now that I've had a little time to digest the Bradley resigning... time to think ahead.

Goalkeepers: Howard probably has one WC left in him, and we seem to never have problems developing keepers. Guzan is young and Bill Hamid from DC United is one name to potentially look out for.

Defenders: DeMerit, Bocanegra, Cherundolo will all be gone. Maybe Gooch has another WC, but it will depend on his ability to regain form and stay healthy. Right now I'm not counting on him. Goodson has shown some promise and Spector and Bornstein are both young enough to warrant call-ups, but definitely need to improve their game. Let's see if Omar can develop. This is obviously our weakest area. So much so that I'm rather nervous as the prospects for development.

Midfield: Donovan, Bradley and Dempsey are all but locks for 2014, and by then I think Bradley will have emerged as our playmaker with Donovan in his early 30s at that point. Benny, Torres and Edu are all young and both have looked good to me in the time they've received. Jermaine Jones is exciting, but he's about to turn 29. Stuart Holden excites me a lot as a potential wing who can give us flexibility with Landon and Clint aging. Sacha has some raw talent that may still develop. Will Freddie Adu ever do anything? Will Bedoya develop? This is still our strongest group, but it is becoming more and more offensive, which only highlights the weakness of our back line.

Foward: Jozy can't hit the side of a barn, but he createst chances. He's a shoe-in. After that, I never want to see Fidnley, Buddle, Connor Casey, Eddie Johnson or any of those other guys again. I'd rather see Brian McBride come out of retirement at age 1000 than see any of those scrubs. So we have Jozy and hopefully Davies if he can regain his form. That was a pretty serious injury, so nothing can be taken for granted. After that? Hercules will be 32 in 2014. Tristan Bowen? Justin Braun? Marcus Tracey? My head hurts just thinking about it. At this point I think our best hope is for Davies to recover and for Holden to develop so that Landon or Clint can slide up if needed.

Thoughts?

MannyIsGod
09-01-2010, 10:07 AM
I think on Keepers Guzan is going to push Howard for the job. I was really really really impressed me in the Brazil game and while I know its only one game Tim Howard hasn't been all that great since the England game.

The back line actually seems OK. Gooch may not be a starter but I can't imagine he won't be there unless he can't regain any form although maybe he'll be a sub. Omar will be fine here as well, and Ike Opara and Tim Ream are 2 guys to watch out for. I'm going to be very upset if Sean Franklin does not get a call up for one of the two friendlies in October. Ugh, Bornstien and Spector. FML.

Midfield I pretty much agree with everything you said. I think Sacha and Bedoya have the potential to make our midfield extremely deep but we'll see. Both were terrible against Brazil but they should have plenty of time to improve within this cycle.

Forwards I expect Buddle to play a big role for the next year or two. I'm hoping Davies recovers too but I'm not sold on it. I think - as Matthew pointed out above - Mwanga is actually going to be one of the better options here. Since he's posted that I've watched a few Union games and at 17 the kid has skills. Check him out if you get a chance. Tristan Bowen has some potential as well and while I LOVE his aggressiveness I think his ceiling is much lower than Altidore, Mwanga, or Davies.

Libri
09-01-2010, 09:03 PM
Apart from Buddle, there aren't any other American forwards in the MLS that are making a splash. Currently, most of the other top MLS scorers are foreigners. If Buddle keeps scoring goals in the MLS, Bradley will continue to call him up. Here is a list of current top scorers.

GOALS PLAYER
13 Edson Buddle(LA)
12 Juan Pablo Angel(NY)
10 Fredy Montero(SEA)
9 Dwayne De Rosario(TOR)
9 Sebastien Le Toux(PHI)
8 Justin Braun(CHV)
8 Conor Casey(COL)
8 Kei Kamara(KC)
8 Alvaro Saborio(RSL)
8 Chris Wondolowski(SJ)

MannyIsGod
09-01-2010, 10:08 PM
Mwanga has 7 or 8 which is good but is even more amazing considering he's a part time player and only 17. Gotta get that boy his citizenship.

Libri
09-03-2010, 03:46 PM
Brian McBride to retire after 2010 season

http://www.chicago-fire.com/news/2010/09/brian-mcbride-retire-after-2010-season

------------------------------------------------------------------------

McBride played with heart.

MannyIsGod
09-04-2010, 12:35 AM
Wish we had a McBride now.

scott
09-06-2010, 09:30 AM
Here's a cool article comparing Bob to Fabio Capello

http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/news/_/id/5522969/tale-tape-bob-bradley-fabio-capello

MannyIsGod
09-10-2010, 07:53 AM
Really great interview with Ryan Smith - he talks about wanting to play for the USMNT.

http://theshinguardian.com/2010/09/09/ryan-smith-finds-his-game-with-the-wizards/

TheTruth
09-13-2010, 06:43 AM
A couple of young defenders to keep an eye on leading up to 2014..

Gale Agbossoumonde and Tim Ream. Our best shots for legit difference makers in the back line.

MannyIsGod
09-13-2010, 04:19 PM
Tim Ream isn't bad but I have a feeling his defense would get destroyed on the international level.

MannyIsGod
09-14-2010, 09:11 AM
LOL from the fake Bradley twitter today:

Someone please explain to me how @MauriceEdu is good enough to start in the Champion's League, but not against Ghana...oops stain on me...

:(

Libri
09-30-2010, 01:34 PM
Here is an article rehashing what we had already stated.

USMNT Focus: Is Solution To Forward's Woes In MLS?

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1679/us-national-team/2010/09/27/2139394/usmnt-focus-is-solution-to-forwards-woes-in-mls

scott
09-30-2010, 06:32 PM
Interesting roster for Poland and Colombia. I love Bocanegra and Cherundolo, but there inclusion is a bad sign as to our prospects (though I know many MLS plays weren't included bc of their respective playoff runs).

GOALKEEPERS (2): Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton)
DEFENDERS (8): Carlos Bocanegra (Saint-Étienne), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover), Clarence Goodson (IK Start), Eric Lichaj (Aston Villa), Oguchi Onyewu (AC Milan), Michael Parkhurst (FC Nordsjaelland), Heath Pearce (FC Dallas), Jonathan Spector (West Ham United)
MIDFIELDERS (7): Alejandro Bedoya (Örebro), Michael Bradley (Borussia Moenchengladbach), Maurice Edu (Rangers), Benny Feilhaber (Aarhus), Stuart Holden (Bolton Wanderers), Jermaine Jones (FC Schalke), Brek Shea (FC Dallas)
FORWARDS (3): Jozy Altidore (Villarreal), Clint Dempsey (Fulham), Eddie Johnson (Fulham)

MannyIsGod
09-30-2010, 08:01 PM
I saw a different roster

MannyIsGod
09-30-2010, 08:03 PM
Never mind I guess I didn't. I'm just dumb.

Can't read too much into it because of the MLS but I thought they were going to invite braun. Eddie Johnson? Meh.

Libri
10-01-2010, 12:07 AM
I'm interested in seeing Brek. It looks like he's having a pretty good season with FC Dallas.

MannyIsGod
10-08-2010, 10:47 AM
CONCACAF Request Entry Into The Copa America
Date: 06-Oct-2010

The 2015 Copa America could for the first time include the entire American continent, after North American governing body CONCACAF made a formal request to FIFA to be included in the South American tournament.

Under preliminary proposals, six North and Central American teams would join the 10 CONMEBOL members in the cup, which could be renamed the Copa Americas. Currently teams such as Mexico and the United States have participated in the Copa, but only in a highly controversial guest role.

CONCACAF head Chuck Blazer confirmed in an interview with Sports Illustrated that the idea had been considered for a long time in the organisation, but that this was the first time it had been officially approved and put forward. The official however also stated that the economic interests of North American sides would also have to be protected.

“Other configurations might lend themselves to being possible,” he said. “Economic parameters would need to be met. The Gold Cup is the main source of revenue to support the youth programs and competitions that we do. If we did [a Copa Americas], we would have to see how it would replace what currently exists.”

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YES PLEASE.

http://foreign.peacefmonline.com/sports/201010/89498.php

Libri
10-08-2010, 05:34 PM
How would they chose those six teams? Would there be a qualifying tournament for Copa America?

MannyIsGod
10-08-2010, 05:47 PM
Don't really know.

Sense
10-08-2010, 08:30 PM
All that is going to do is increase the chances of early elimination for the US or Mexico

MannyIsGod
10-08-2010, 11:19 PM
I'd rather that be the case than what the Gold Cup is now. Long term is much better for the US and Mexico to play the top teams to get better.

The_Worlds_finest
10-09-2010, 10:20 AM
Is the game going down at Free Tail tonight?

scott
10-09-2010, 05:27 PM
Is the game going down at Free Tail tonight?

You know it.

scott
10-09-2010, 05:57 PM
Here's the starting 11. Interesting formation. Edu at CB.

U.S. Soccer ‎#USMNT lineup vs. Poland tonight is a 4-2-3-1: Howard; Cherundolo, Onyewu, Edu, Bocanegra (c); Jones, Bradley; Holden, Dempsey, Feilhaber; Altidore...

Spurologist
10-09-2010, 06:07 PM
Bradley i don't think has ever used that formation......Edu at CB is interesting but I've been calling for that when Gooch was sucking. Can't wait to see JJ in action

MannyIsGod
10-09-2010, 09:03 PM
Edu at CB was not good. I don't want to see that again. Jones was a mixed bag - great assist to Jozy but he also had a shit clearance that led to the 2nd Polish goal. Other than the clearence though I was very happy with him. He and Bradley played off each other very well.

I thought Dempsy and Holden did great in the mid as well.

Jozy Jozy Jozy. I know hes the best we currently have by a sizeable margin but he's got to bury some more of those chances. A striker needs to be able to put the shot on frame. He played well tonight but he needs to finish more.

Good formation. I think considering our depth at mid and our shitty forwards this is a no brainer. Can't wait for the next game.

scott
10-09-2010, 09:10 PM
Jozy... you... are... a terrible finisher.

I thought Edu was fine at CB for his first appearance there. I like the 4-2-3-1 formation which essentially plays like a 3-6-1 with Edu able to move forward, Bradley able to move forward or back, and Holden able to play back.

Both goals came on shitty clearance attempts, which is disheartening, but hey it was only the first game of the 4-year cycle. Having Donovan in there would have made a world of difference. I'd put him in there for Benny and leave Stu as the attacking mid able to drop back. Holden had some great tackles on the attacking side. He's leading EPL in tackles right now too.

I thought Jones showed what matters the most at this point: touch and good football IQ. He's clearly in our starting 11.

If WC starting tomorrow

Boca-DeMerit-Edu-Dolo
Jones-Bradley
Holden-Dempsey-Donovan
Jozy

Obviously Boca, DeMerit and Dolo are long shots for 2014. Gooch showed he is on his way back to form despite that horrid clearance attempt. Edu I think will learn CB (and frankly, we have few options back there. Maybe Spector). We need to replace our LB and RB (Spector?).

Jozy needs to learn how to finish.

Midfield is crazy full of depth.

MannyIsGod
10-09-2010, 09:17 PM
Well I think one of our backs will be Franklin. Dude is damn good and we'll see that once the MLS season is over and he gets called up.

But yes, our midfield is very very very deep.

WIsh Jozy would finish though. So many good chances. I can live with the one off the bar but there were about another 3 I was disapointed with.

scott
10-09-2010, 10:11 PM
Franklin we'll just need to see in action. Omar too. I hope leading up to Gold Cup we see lots of new defenders, but we will need Boca and Dolo if we want to win Gold Cuo (a stated Bradley goal) so we cant really afford to develop our wingbacks until 2012. At some point Jozy needs to finish. Just creating chances isn't enough. Yes he is only 20, but that cantle an excuse forever.

TheTruth
10-12-2010, 06:24 AM
So frustrating watching Jozy waste opportunity after opportunity. JJ is gonna be a huge factor for the US. A souped up Ricardo Clark. I know we are deeper at midfield, and god knows we need a finished forward so freaking bad, but I'm loving JJ with the MNT.

The_Worlds_finest
10-12-2010, 11:18 PM
Usa aint nothing to fuck with!!! Usa aint nothing to fuck with!!!

MannyIsGod
10-13-2010, 02:07 PM
Columbia game was brutal. Lichaj was good though. Otherwise I want my 2 hours back.

Sense
10-13-2010, 11:12 PM
Usa aint nothing to fuck with!!! Usa aint nothing to fuck with!!!

except in soccer.:blah

Cry Havoc
10-14-2010, 04:01 PM
Columbia game was brutal. Lichaj was good though. Otherwise I want my 2 hours back.

That game felt like torture to watch.

FkLA
10-16-2010, 12:01 AM
the nt needs to hold some of their games in seattle, i know traditionally theyve been held in columbus but those sounder fans are awesome...they deserve atleast a couple.

MannyIsGod
10-16-2010, 12:27 AM
Travel is too long from Europe.

FkLA
10-18-2010, 12:53 AM
Travel is too long from Europe.

tbh arent the flights south american players make from europe totheir home countries longer than that? it would simply be like an additional 3-4 hrs from columbus...i dont think it would be that bad.

would be worth it considering how insane those sounder fans are

scott
10-18-2010, 09:03 AM
Seattle is definitely the best crowd in the US, by far (though I'm excited to see what Portland puts together - they have some pretty rabid fans too. But prob won't be playing in front of as large of a crowd).

But we have quite the homefield advantage in Columbus, so it's hard to justify a move away in big qualifiers. Mexico has never beaten us in Columbus, it's our Azteca.

I do think, however, for the sake of team development we need to ignore the money and stop scheduling friendlies in places that are friendly to the opposition. Brazil in NY, Mexico in LA, Poland in Chicago, etc. This just gives away home field advantage. We should ALWAYS play Mexico in Columbus in competitive play. For friendlies, give a place like Seattle a try for sure.

And F 'em if the travel time is too long. They'll come for the pay day.

Spurologist
10-18-2010, 11:32 AM
at this point, I'd prefer if Bradley was relegated to the bench....we can't play 3 defensive mid field players in Jones/Edu/Bradley. Edu has clearly out played bradley and should play along side Jones. If Bradley was a creative midfielder, he could fit in. Holden = solid. We clearly missed Donovan in the friendlies. I want Beasley to get more callups. I miss the great speed combo of Beasley/Donovan we once had...if Beasley can get back on form at Hannover.

Edu was decent at CB but reports say he'd rather compete for the midfield role. If that's the case, he wins out over Bradley. Hell, I'd even consider Jose Torres ahead of Bradley because he complements other players a little better. It definitely sucks for him but Bob Bradley's nepotism will finally come into question if it wasn't already there before.

As for the backline, I like Gooch/Bocanegra. Gooch is clearly not in game shape.. I'd rather him play in a lower league than Serie A if he's gonna ride the pine. 'Dolo is solid per usual. I was impressed with Lichaj and I'm wondering if he can fill the void at left back. I never really like Boca there because he gets beaten by pacy wingers way too easily.

Up top...JOZY please finish. Dempsey seems to be scoring less lately for the NATs. I really love the work EJ is putting in but he isn't finishing either. So the front line is based off hope...sadly. I'm waiting for the next McBride!

scott
11-04-2010, 10:16 AM
Word is that we will play a friendly in Jan against Chile in LA. Then a friendly vs Argentina in March... In Seatlle!!!! Finally some smart scheduling that should actually net us a home field advantage

MannyIsGod
11-04-2010, 12:18 PM
Nice. I've never been to Seattle and maybe this will be a good chance to go.

SAtown
11-05-2010, 04:23 PM
Onyewu finally makes news at AC Milan

Fight Between Zlatan Ibrahimovic And Oguchi Onyewu Forces Milan To Abandon Training Session
By Subhankar Mondal

Milan coach Massimiliano Allegri was forced to abandon training on Friday after Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Oguchi Onyewu came to blows, according to Goal.com Italia.

It’s not yet known what exactly caused the row but it’s been reported that the 28-year-old American defender grabbed Ibrahimovic by the throat after he was tackled by the Sweden international. The former Barcelona striker then tried to retaliate and the pair had to be separated by team-mates.

However, Milan vice-president Adriano Galliani has dismissed the fight as a minor matter.

“It was a fairly lively fight, it happens when there is a rough challenge," he told Sky Sport 24.

“The players have been talked to. The incident is now over.”

http://www.goal.com/en/news/10/italy/2010/11/05/2200429/fight-between-zlatan-ibrahimovic-and-oguchi-onyewu-forces

MannyIsGod
11-05-2010, 05:26 PM
LOL Awesome.

SAtown
11-05-2010, 06:00 PM
I have to side with Onyewu on this one. He's coming back from an injury that sidelined him the entire year last season, and since he's practicing with the senior squad, then he's trying to get match fit again. And what's a star forward doing slidetackling a defender in practice anyways?

I was really excited when AC Milan signed him last summer. As a rough defender that he is, I thought he'd have his way with the delicate italian defenders. It's a shame he was hurt last season, but if he injures himself again, his value with plummet and his career in Europe is probably over.

MannyIsGod
11-05-2010, 06:33 PM
Ibrahimovic is a bitch anyway.

Phenomanul
11-06-2010, 02:21 AM
Ibrahimovic is a bitch anyway.

This

MannyIsGod
11-11-2010, 02:23 PM
G: Brad Guzan, Dominic Cervi

DEF: Tim Ream, Clarence Goodson, Gale Agbossoumonde, Jonathan Bornstein, Nat Borchers, Eric Lichaj, Jonathan Spector

MID: Mix Diskerud, Ale Bedoya, Robbie Rogers, Logan Pause, Eddie Gaven, Brian Carroll

STR: Robbie Findley, Teal Bunbury, Juan Agudelo

If Bod Bradley plays Findley much so help me god....

robino2001
11-11-2010, 03:26 PM
I have no problem admitting I don't know of nearly half the roster... well at least 8 of the 18... so close enough... And I like to think I kinda know more about the national team than the casual observer, but can't claim to know much about these dudes. That'll make the game next week good to see what the "future" holds for the US.

scott
11-11-2010, 04:33 PM
Interesting on the Bunbury call up. Bunbury is Canadian, has played with Canada's U17 and U20 and has even said he thought it would be wrong for him to play for the US... Yet there he is.

Love the call ups for Ream and Rogers. Do t know about 6 of these guys, which is exciting too!

MannyIsGod
11-11-2010, 04:33 PM
There's a lot of MLS youth in there. Excited to see Tim Ream, Bunbury and Agudelo in there the most. Also excited to see another game from Lichaj and see Diskerud capped.

MannyIsGod
11-11-2010, 04:34 PM
Yeah he's more of a lock to get time with team Canada so his choice of the US is interesting for sure.

TheTruth
11-13-2010, 07:51 AM
Should be good fun seeing the young guys get their first Cap against the S. African "A" team.

I'm pumped to see Gale Agbossoumonde.

scott
11-15-2010, 09:56 AM
John Harkes last night said he thought Ream was already ahead of where Gooch was pre-injury. Good sign since our backline is weak and our best guys (Boca, Dolo, DeMerit) are unlikely to play in 2014.

Spurologist
11-15-2010, 08:27 PM
when's the game??

MannyIsGod
11-17-2010, 02:34 PM
Starting Findley? #)*)$(*#)($&@*()$&@$*(&@$)*@$&!

Spurologist
11-17-2010, 02:36 PM
Every time I see Robbie Findley play for the US National Team, a part of me dies

Cry Havoc
11-17-2010, 02:36 PM
"Each day, more than one million children in Africa are born with BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ"

Cry Havoc
11-17-2010, 02:41 PM
Wtf? The official allows a South African player to jump on the ball to prevent a quick restart?

MannyIsGod
11-17-2010, 02:44 PM
LOL Findley

MannyIsGod
11-17-2010, 02:45 PM
I really can't stand watching Findley. Ream hits him PERFECTLY and he sends it out.

Cry Havoc
11-17-2010, 03:00 PM
That should have been a goal. Ugh.

Spurologist
11-17-2010, 03:30 PM
what's with Bradley's fucking lovefest with Findley. He's a fucking headless chicken out there. It's beyond embarrassing

MannyIsGod
11-17-2010, 03:51 PM
Bunbury already doing more than Findley.

Spurologist
11-17-2010, 04:11 PM
Lichaj will start in the next world cup for the US

SAtown
11-17-2010, 04:20 PM
O shit the kid scores!

Spurologist
11-17-2010, 04:20 PM
Agudelo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MannyIsGod
11-17-2010, 04:22 PM
Nice nice nice goal! Getting capped and then scoringa goal all in one day! 17 years old? Damn!

Cry Havoc
11-17-2010, 04:23 PM
There it is!

Spurologist
11-17-2010, 04:25 PM
Damn! Diskerud produced some magic for that assist

Cry Havoc
11-17-2010, 04:26 PM
Damn! Diskerud produced some magic for that assist

He really deserves as much credit for that goal. He set up Agudelo perfectly, right in front of the net for it. Props to the youngster for staying cool, but the assist was even better than the goal, for me.

Libri
11-17-2010, 05:13 PM
The only thing Findley has going for him is speed but what good is it if he can't use to score. He's not even RSL's top scorer this season.

Spurologist
11-17-2010, 10:57 PM
su-kYllwfdk&

Spurologist
11-17-2010, 10:58 PM
The only thing Findley has going for him is speed but what good is it if he can't use to score. He's not even RSL's top scorer this season.

he wasn't even a starter for RSL when he made the world cup squad. Bradley just needs to drop him for good

scott
11-17-2010, 11:36 PM
Great to see a #17 actually finish! Hope you were watching Jozy!

MannyIsGod
11-18-2010, 12:19 AM
Yeah I have no idea why he keeps getting called up.

MannyIsGod
11-18-2010, 12:20 AM
Great to see a #17 actually finish! Hope you were watching Jozy!

Jozy retweeted someone calling him a bust today. :lol It was great.

scott
11-24-2010, 12:41 PM
Great news today! We've landed a German defector!

http://www.yanks-abroad.com/get.php?mode=content&id=7102

Hürzeler was the U17 team captain for Germany and was called up to Bayern Munich's reserve squad despite still being eligible for their U19 team.

He's eligible with the US for the 2011 and 2013 U20 World Cups.

The_Worlds_finest
12-01-2010, 12:01 PM
http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/bidders/live/index.html

spursfor5
12-01-2010, 04:35 PM
Lol at Australia's presentation, and not in a good way. I can't believe someone is getting paid for that presentation. It was not a good presentation.

Libri
12-22-2010, 02:19 AM
Here are the 24 players Bradley has picked for the Chile game in January.

GOALKEEPERS (4): Dominic Cervi (Celtic), Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire), Matt Pickens (Colorado Rapids), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

DEFENDERS (9): A.J. DeLaGarza (Los Angeles Galaxy), Sean Franklin (Los Angeles Galaxy), Omar Gonzalez (Los Angeles Galaxy), Ugo Ihemelu (FC Dallas), Zach Loyd (FC Dallas), Ryan Miller (Halmstads BK), Tim Ream (New York Red Bulls), Anthony Wallace (Colorado Rapids), Marvell Wynne (Colorado Rapids)

MIDFIELDERS (7): Eric Alexander (FC Dallas), Alejandro Bedoya (Örebro), Sam Cronin (San Jose Earthquakes), Mikkel Diskerud (Stabaek), Jeff Larentowicz (Colorado Rapids), Dax McCarty (D.C. United), Brek Shea (FC Dallas)

FORWARDS (4): Juan Agudelo (New York Red Bulls), Justin Braun (Chivas USA), Teal Bunbury (Sporting Kansas City), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes)

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1679/us-national-team/2010/12/21/2271826/bradley-picks-24-players-for-usa-january-friendly-against

MannyIsGod
12-22-2010, 02:47 AM
Love the forward choices. Hope to see some more Bunbury Agudelo action. LOL @ 3/4 of the Galaxy back line getting invited. Awesome. I'm a huge Franklin fan, hope to see him play well.

diego
12-22-2010, 04:17 AM
I havent seen any roster of who will go for Chile, but I can guarantee they will lose this game. The federation recently was in elections and there was a total shit-storm which ended up with the head coach resigning at the end of the last president's term (jan 15) and no new president or interim leadership in sight, I don't know if they'll even have a coach for this game. For chile at least, this game has disaster written all over it

TheTruth
12-23-2010, 12:11 PM
These matches are always more fun for me. Great to see some of the young talent, and hopefully have a few of them take the next step.

Libri
12-23-2010, 01:16 PM
Official: Robbie Findley Joins Nottingham Forest Pending Work Permit

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1614/americans-abroad/2010/12/23/2274761/official-robbie-findley-joins-nottingham-forest-pending-work

Libri
12-23-2010, 01:23 PM
I found this quote interesting.

"We had a lot of competition in the race to sign Robbie and there's no doubt that we had to work very, very hard to try and convince him this was the right place to come," he said. "We've managed to do that and we're very, very pleased.

I didn't know Findley was so coveted abroad. :lol

scott
12-23-2010, 01:50 PM
Soon the UK will be ravaged by the blizzard of ineptitude that is Robbie Findley!

MannyIsGod
12-23-2010, 07:03 PM
Yeah findley couldn't even get off the bech for rsl and he's going abroad? What the fuck?

Libri
12-30-2010, 02:39 PM
Apparently there's a bidding war for Buddle. Sheffield Wednesday, Rangers, Everton, Stoke City and Wolves are interested.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11719_6621889,00.html

MannyIsGod
12-30-2010, 03:56 PM
Buddle knows how to put the ball in the net. He'd do well as long as someone gave him quality service.

scott
12-30-2010, 09:35 PM
Soon the UK will be ravaged by the blizzard of ineptitude that is Edson Buddle!

MannyIsGod
12-31-2010, 01:48 AM
Zah2w0fwB5Q

diego
01-09-2011, 10:32 AM
several weeks ago I posted that chile was screwed for the friendly because they likely wouldnt have a coach for the game, turns out that Bielsa has agreed to coach the USA friendly as his last game (he was supposedly going to step down the week before). Given how much his players like him and its his last game, this is bad news for the US, Chile will play hard and Ill be very surprised and disappointed if they dont beat you guys convincingly.

scott
01-09-2011, 12:06 PM
I saw you guys released your roster - is it your A-team? We're sending what amounts to our rookie development squad, which I'm happy with at this point in the cycle.

scott
01-09-2011, 08:51 PM
Edson Puddle is off to Germany. I don't see how this is better than posing for LA

Buddle is set to sign with German second division side FC Ingolstadt, sources told SBI on Saturday evening. Buddle was en route to Germany to finalize the contract with a club currently battling relegation in Bundesliga 2. -SoccerByIves

scott
01-13-2011, 03:57 PM
Sadly they couldn't hammer out a deal to play this game in Seattle, but USMNT will take on Argentina on March 26 at New Meadowlands.

We'll also host Paraguay on March 29 in Nashville. SI soccer columnist Grant Wahl says we can expect close to top squads as the US prepares for the Gold Cup.

MannyIsGod
01-13-2011, 04:36 PM
Edson Puddle is off to Germany. I don't see how this is better than posing for LA

Buddle is set to sign with German second division side FC Ingolstadt, sources told SBI on Saturday evening. Buddle was en route to Germany to finalize the contract with a club currently battling relegation in Bundesliga 2. -SoccerByIves

Its just more $$$. Probably more exposure too.

diego
01-14-2011, 07:09 PM
I saw you guys released your roster - is it your A-team? We're sending what amounts to our rookie development squad, which I'm happy with at this point in the cycle.

i just checked because i hadnt seen it, its more like a C team. only one guy that went to the WC is on it, and he was a sub (but played). i'm surprised bielsa didnt call up his favorites for his last game. still, i think they will play their hearts out because it is his last game and people here are very upset about that. If the US is playing a development squad, I expect Chile to win handily because they want to send Bielsa off with a win.

scott
01-14-2011, 07:26 PM
i just checked because i hadnt seen it, its more like a C team. only one guy that went to the WC is on it, and he was a sub (but played). i'm surprised bielsa didnt call up his favorites for his last game. still, i think they will play their hearts out because it is his last game and people here are very upset about that. If the US is playing a development squad, I expect Chile to win handily because they want to send Bielsa off with a win.

I predict a 0-0 draw, we're pretty good about producing those.

diego
01-15-2011, 04:08 AM
its entirely possible, I don't mean to be disrespectful to the US team. Its just that there is a lot of commotion with the coach leaving because of (club) politics, the players, press, everyone is upset. You go to a bar and middle aged women who have never paid attention to futbol are discussing the injustice of it, even government officials have been pointing fingers and begging for him to stay. That's why i think the players will play hard regardless of who is going, and why I thought before that w/o Bielsa Chile would lay an egg.

scott
01-22-2011, 04:53 PM
I'm pumped up to watch Jozy Out-the-door and Edson Puddle's replacements tonight :)

MannyIsGod
01-22-2011, 06:47 PM
You can't replace someone that was never given a chance. More like Findley's replacement.

MannyIsGod
01-22-2011, 06:48 PM
And I'm not even close to wanting to replace Jozy. However, I am stoked to see some Teal action and some Aguedelo action tonight!

MannyIsGod
01-22-2011, 06:48 PM
More stoked to see the LA Galaxy back line in action again though! :lol

scott
01-22-2011, 08:24 PM
and i'm not even close to wanting to have forwards that can win games for us. However, i am stoked to see some teal action and some aguedelo action tonight!

fify

MannyIsGod
01-22-2011, 09:14 PM
LOL

Dude you're the one busy sending off the one forward we have who puts the ball in the back of the net!

MannyIsGod
01-22-2011, 09:15 PM
Lineup:

USA LINEUP (4-5-1): GK Nick Rimando; Ds Sean Franklin, Tim Ream, Omar Gonzalez, Zach Loyd; MFs Jeff Larentowicz, Dax McCarty (captain), Mikkel Diskerud, Alejandro Bedoya, Brek Shea; F Chris Wondolowski.

USA available subs: GK Sean Johnson; Ds A.J. DeLaGarza, Anthony Wallace, Marvell Wynne; MF Eric Alexander; Fs Juan Agudelo, Teal Bunbury.

Not in uniform: GKs Dom Cervi, Matt Pickens, D Ryan Miller; MFs Eugene Starikov, Sam Cronin.

Agudelo and Bunbury on the bench to start. Happy to see Diskerud start. Will be pretty interesting to see how this mid works out and Wondo can put the ball in the net so hopefully they US scores early.

Libri
01-22-2011, 10:01 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing how some of these guys play.

scott
01-22-2011, 10:12 PM
Finally got the ESPN3 feed working.

I was reading that apparently Real Madrid had interest at one time in Brek as a CB. I wonder if Bob would consider it.

Spurologist
01-22-2011, 10:15 PM
I thought Cervi would've gotten the nod.....maybe in the second half. Same with Starikov.....pumped to see the young core of US players.

B-/C team today???

scott
01-22-2011, 10:17 PM
Cervi not dressed today. Look for Sean Johnson in the second half.

This is definitely the D team (as in Development)

MannyIsGod
01-22-2011, 10:18 PM
Finally got the ESPN3 feed working.

I was reading that apparently Real Madrid had interest at one time in Brek as a CB. I wonder if Bob would consider it.

There was a lot of talk about how they saw him play a game in training at CB and he was amazing. I don't know though.

scott
01-22-2011, 10:18 PM
Manny's backline looking horrid so far.

scott
01-22-2011, 10:24 PM
This team appears stricken by the same ailment as our A team: lack of 1st touch

scott
01-22-2011, 10:25 PM
But DAX with a killer strike! Love the aggressiveness. Bradley, Deuce, Holden only ones who usually take that shot

Spurologist
Holy shit....that was almost a golden goal from Mccarthy.

Brek at CB wouldn't surprise me. US players get misjudged positionally, don't they? Spector is now bagging goals in the midfield lately

Libri
McCarty with a good shot.

Libri
01-22-2011, 10:26 PM
USA starting to get into the game.

MannyIsGod
01-22-2011, 10:27 PM
Nice action so far

scott
01-22-2011, 10:28 PM
Holy shit....that was almost a golden goal from Mccarthy.

Brek at CB wouldn't surprise me. US players get misjudged positionally, don't they? Spector is now bagging goals in the midfield lately

No doubt about it. Unfortunately for Spector, there is absolutely no room in the midfield. His best shot will be at RB.

Americans are impressing in EPL this year though.

Spurologist
01-22-2011, 10:29 PM

just realized US started Zach Loyd. Never heard of him

MannyIsGod
01-22-2011, 10:31 PM
Liking what I've aeen ouy of shea

scott
01-22-2011, 10:31 PM
We're getting forward very nicely now. Backline has settled down. Brek has great pace, would be an interesting CB.

MannyIsGod
01-22-2011, 10:35 PM
Seeing a lot of ball control out of omar we never saw last year and I love it.

scott
01-22-2011, 10:35 PM
Ian Darke busting out "dispossessed" - a word only a Brit can make awesome

scott
01-22-2011, 10:42 PM
I wish ESPN would replace Harkes with Alexi

Spurologist
01-22-2011, 10:43 PM
Ian Darke busting out "dispossessed" - a word only a Brit can make awesome

where are you getting Ian Darke's commentary???

I have Adrian Healey and John Harkes

scott
01-22-2011, 10:49 PM
I must have Healey then. Since I'm used to Harkes with Darke and all Brits sounds alike :)

Libri
01-22-2011, 10:52 PM
Good defensive play by Franklin.

Spurologist
01-22-2011, 10:53 PM
US team on the field lacking players with technical ability outside of MIX on the attacking end. Agudelo and Bunbury could help that out in the second half

MannyIsGod
01-22-2011, 10:58 PM
The US need to learn to make the right runs if they're going to play formations other than the 4-4-2. They get so bunched up so much when they try this.

scott
01-22-2011, 11:00 PM
This is setting up nicely for the predictable US friendly 0-0 draw

The_Worlds_finest
01-22-2011, 11:07 PM
I cant watch the game. Whats your take on the play, has there been any glimpses of brilliance? Hows this keepers? hows the squad Chile fielded?

Spurologist
01-22-2011, 11:16 PM
Wynne at CB? WTF?

Libri
01-22-2011, 11:16 PM
I don't think anybody stood out. McCarty had a nice shot.

Spurologist
01-22-2011, 11:18 PM
I cant watch the game. Whats your take on the play, has there been any glimpses of brilliance? Hows this keepers? hows the squad Chile fielded?

no brilliance really....fast pace game but Chile connected more passes. US lacks technical players because we gave the ball away too easily. Rimando really wasn't bothered much

Libri
01-22-2011, 11:21 PM
Agudelo is warming up.

The_Worlds_finest
01-22-2011, 11:23 PM
I guess so far we can go moral victory as its tied 0-0 with a brand new squad

scott
01-22-2011, 11:23 PM
Nice flick on from Brek.

Mixx not impressing me.

scott
01-22-2011, 11:25 PM