PDA

View Full Version : Should futbol look to football to solve it's problem?

Whisky Dog
06-28-2010, 11:25 AM
I have one thing to say about getting rid of these monumental fuck ups in a game where one score wins and loses games.

Challenge System.

Just like in the NFL, give the coaches a limited number of challenges, and in addition have another official upstairs who can do on the spot video review of goals or any time the ball finds the net and have direct communication to the ref. Any extra time used is added as stoppage time, which can't be worse than having a perfectly healthy Ghana player laying on the ground waiting for a stretcher.

The solution is simple, it's been done to near perfection in the NFL, but FIFA is too stubborn and/or crooked to get this right.

mudyez
06-28-2010, 11:33 AM
I like it the way it is right now...what would soccer be without the drama of such stories?...just take the wembley/blomfontain thing! 44years we germans bitched about it and now we get revenge! thats a perfect story!

I understand the rage of teams loosing because of that, but I tell you this sport gets boring without things like that!

...and refs are not always that bad as in this worldcup...especially in europe you dont see those kind of mistakes very often.

if anything...I could live with the idea of the red flag...but only give each team one challenge and only in goal/offside situations!

urunobili
06-28-2010, 11:54 AM
Video reps or bust :pctoss

DAF86
06-28-2010, 12:14 PM
The changes I would make:

1) The easiest and one that would make a big difference, is to let the players be assisted by the physios without having to stop play (like they do in rugby), I'm sure the diving and faking would decrease dramatically.

2) Get rid of linesmen and let offsides and goals like the one in the Germany/England match be determined by the technology.

How would this work? Having a guy or two in a booth watching the game (with the help of the technology) and telling the ref in the pitch what to call. You may have to wait a little longer to make the calls but 99% of the time you'll get the right one.

A "challenge" (like in the NFL) wouldn't work in football 'cause even though it does work in a case where a goal in offside is allowed, 'cause all you have to do is to get back and annul the play, what happens if somebody that is onside is called for an offside and the play is stopped. That's just as unfair, and there's no way to get back from that. That's why I think the best thing is to just let the play proceed and be stopped only when the refs in the booth see an irregularity thanks to the help of the technology.

This method has a flaw though, a lot of goals will be scored and celebrations be made in vain.

LoneStarState'sPride
06-28-2010, 12:24 PM
I like it the way it is right now...what would soccer be without the drama of such stories?...just take the wembley/blomfontain thing! 44years we germans bitched about it and now we get revenge! thats a perfect story!

I understand the rage of teams loosing because of that, but I tell you this sport gets boring without things like that!

...and refs are not always that bad as in this worldcup...especially in europe you dont see those kind of mistakes very often.

if anything...I could live with the idea of the red flag...but only give each team one challenge and only in goal/offside situations!

I'm sorry, but this is fucking ridiculous. If the sport gets boring without drama not generated by the players, then fucking modify the rules to make the GAME interesting enough for you (and don't give me that "purity of the sport" bullshit either). This is basically the same argument I've heard from BCS apologists--the controversy creates drama. That's not ok with me if teams are getting screwed out of chances to make the most of themselves on their sport's biggest stage.

I don't care that the "refs haven't always been as bad as in this worldcup." The system's broke and must be fixed.

Whisky Dog
06-28-2010, 12:26 PM
The changes I would make:

1) The easiest and one that would make a big difference, is to let the players be assisted by the physios without having to stop play (like they do in rugby), I'm sure the diving and faking would decrease dramatically.

2) Get rid of linesmen and let offsides and goals like the one in the Germany/England match be determined by the technology.

How would this work? Having a guy or two in a booth watching the game (with the help of the technology) and telling the ref in the pitch what to call. You may have to wait a little longer to make the calls but 99% of the time you'll get the right one.

A "challenge" (like in the NFL) wouldn't work in football 'cause even though it does work in a case where a goal in offside is allowed, 'cause all you have to do is to get back and annul the play, what happens if somebody that is onside is called for an offside and the play is stopped. That's just as unfair, and there's no way to get back from that. That's why I think the best thing is to just let the play proceed and be stopped only when the refs in the booth see an irregularity thanks to the help of the technology.

This method has a flaw though, a lot of goals will be scored and celebrations be made in vain.

Yeah I'm definitely a big fan of booth officials assisting. The offsides calls are the tricky ones to not effect play too much.

ElNono
06-28-2010, 01:10 PM
Mexico, Italy and England got screwed by bad calls...

I say the system is working fine... :downspin:

diego
06-28-2010, 05:56 PM
the solution has nothing to do with technology and everything to do with politics. instead of designating refs from each federation to gain votes, how about FIFA designate the highest qualified? its really not that complicated.

IF they were to do something beyond that, the ONLY thing that I would allow would be to have a booth official confirm if the ball crosses the goal line / if a goal should be allowed or disallowed because of offside / foul. But IMO its not that difficult to do that properly without replays. If you need a replay to see that that shot went in / tevez was offside, you probably shouldnt be a ref...

Libri
06-28-2010, 06:19 PM
UEFA has been experimenting with two extra officials, one on each side, near the goal area. When I first saw this, I thought it was fan. lol

---------------------------------------

Extra officials to be tested in Champions League
http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news?slug=ap-uefa-extraofficials

TDMVPDPOY
06-28-2010, 09:01 PM
u dont need video reps in futball, clearly the problem is corrupted officiating and we all know if ur a small country u have no business playin in the knockout stages cause theres no money, but then again you have those dominant teams who never go according to the bosses plans to sell out games and keep themselves in the competition but choke away.

tlongII
06-28-2010, 10:21 PM
A challenge system with video replay is an absolute necessity in the World Cup. It's time that FIFA pulls their heads out of their collective ass and realizes this.

MaNuMaNiAc
06-28-2010, 10:41 PM
I'm all for seeking a solution to the horrible ref problem, but I'll be damned if football ends up turning into "American football" where they have like 11 minutes of actual play. The game needs to maintain fluidity. Ref's need to stay, but should be aided by people on the side watching video. It doesn't take too much to do either.

LoneStarState'sPride
06-29-2010, 10:38 PM
I'm all for seeking a solution to the horrible ref problem, but I'll be damned if football ends up turning into "American football" where they have like 11 minutes of actual play. The game needs to maintain fluidity. Ref's need to stay, but should be aided by people on the side watching video. It doesn't take too much to do either.

Apples to oranges--there is NO way futbol will turn into "football" by introducing replay time for controversial calls. I'd rather interrupt the fluidity of the beautiful game to make sure the results are come by legitimately, however.

Ginobilly
06-29-2010, 11:37 PM
We are in the 21 century and have all this accurate technology, but FIFA can't have refs sitting in the BOX with the announcers communicating with some of the refs. Instead of progressing, they are taking steps back as a species.

Whisky Dog
06-30-2010, 12:14 AM

These horrible calls leading to goals or taking good ones away is happening about once a game if at all, so to me it's simple - each coach gets one challenge a game, and if he's right he gets one more. Very easy, won't take a ton of time, make fouls and cards non reviewable, everyone's happy.