PDA

View Full Version : Blazers cut Ryan Gomes

tdunk21
06-28-2010, 11:52 AM
http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2010/06/blazers_plan_to_release_ryan_g.html

Team president Larry Miller said the Blazers will probably release newly acquired forward Ryan Gomes in order to avoid taking on the remaining three seasons of his contract.

The team has until Tuesday to make a decision, but Miller said he has already told Gomes' agent not to fly him to Portland.

Gomes was acquired from Minnesota during Thursday's draft for the draft rights to the 16th overall pick, Luke Babbitt, and Blazers forward Martell Webster.

BG_Spurs_Fan
06-28-2010, 12:14 PM
For the LLE or the reminder of the MLE left from Splitter ( if there's any ) Gomes would be a great signing. Perhaps he'd get better offers though.

Ditty
06-28-2010, 12:40 PM
i dont see why people are so wet about him hes alright rather have travis outlaw or that jones kid

Man In Black
06-28-2010, 12:47 PM
I think for his size, he's a good defender and solid rebounder at 5 per and a career 45% FG.

If you can get him at a cut rate, if he stays par for the course, he's solid.

Buddy Holly
06-28-2010, 12:52 PM
http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2010/06/blazers_plan_to_release_ryan_g.html

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157292

Indazone
06-28-2010, 01:19 PM
I used to have him on my fantasy team when he was in Boston. If the kid can get minutes he produces. He's a very good ball player with lots of upside.

Seventyniner
06-28-2010, 01:25 PM
He'd mainly be a smallball 4 or maybe tallball 3 (match up with someone like Odom?) on this team.

TimDunkem
06-28-2010, 01:26 PM
Someone make a weneedryangomes.com and send it to him on Twitter.

DesignatedT
06-28-2010, 01:27 PM
i dont see why people are so wet about him hes alright rather have travis outlaw or that jones kid

this

tdunk21
06-28-2010, 02:07 PM
career averages for potential FA gomes, jones and outlaw as per nba.com

james jones: 6-8, 220lbs
6.4ppg, 2.4rpg, 39% 3pt, 86%FT

travis outlaw: 6-9, 207lbs
9.5ppg, 3.4rpg, 36% 3pt, 73%FT

ryan gomes: 6-7, 245lbs
11.5ppg, 5.1rpg, 36% 3pt, 80% FT

coyotes_geek
06-28-2010, 04:06 PM
Gomes is a decent player, but I don't see how he fits here. Between Duncan, Dyess, Blair and Splitter there wouldn't be too many PF minutes for him, and he'd be a defensive liability trying to guard SF's if you tried to play him there.

I agree with those saying James Jones or Travis Outlaw would be better fits.

SenorSpur
06-28-2010, 04:15 PM
Gomes is a decent player, but I don't see how he fits here. Between Duncan, Dyess, Blair and Splitter there wouldn't be too many PF minutes for him, and he'd be a defensive liability trying to guard SF's if you tried to play him there.

I agree with those saying James Jones or Travis Outlaw would be better fits.

James was once a very good player. He's shit now AND he's had some nagging injuries. Outlaw would be a splendid option.

Mr Bones
06-28-2010, 04:15 PM
I can easily see 8 mpg at PF and 8 mpg at SF, and maybe more depending on matchups. A huge upgrade over Bogans.

spursfan1000
06-28-2010, 05:41 PM
Blazers are in trade talks right now so I don't think they will waive Ryan Gomes.

PDXSpursFan
06-28-2010, 05:51 PM
Gomes contract is instant cap relief for teams in the big free agent market (Miami, Chicago, ect.). Even if traded, he still will be waived.

coyotes_geek
06-28-2010, 05:56 PM
James was once a very good player. He's shit now AND he's had some nagging injuries. Outlaw would be a splendid option.

Outlaw would be a splendid option, but that's the problem. He's splendid to the point of being unaffordable.

James Jones does have some injury baggage, but I disagree that he's shit. Miami has just been an awful situation for him. He was a SG-SF on a team that had Dwayne Wade at SG and long list of guys like Shaun Marion, Michael Beasley and Quentin Richardson who had to get minutes at SF because of conflicts at other spots on the roster. With Jones missing time because of injuries he never had a chance to earn regular court time there.

angelbelow
06-28-2010, 06:10 PM
I can easily see 8 mpg at PF and 8 mpg at SF, and maybe more depending on matchups. A huge upgrade over Bogans.

he is without a doubt a huge upgrade over bogans - but at what cost. I would love to have gomes but we dont have the money to do it.

mingus
06-28-2010, 08:09 PM
always thought Jones would be a good fit for this team back when he was with Phoenix. the Spurs def. need another 3-point shooter. they can't go into the season with only one (supposedly) reliable 3-point shooter in Anderson. Oulaw is too expensive so u can count him out. that leaves Gomes and Jones. Gomes 3-point shooting theoretically should improve playing with guys that are going to get him open looks, but that theory didn't work for RJ. Jones is going to be reliable no matter what because he's a proven 40% shooter from 3. my question is why did Jones fall off the map? i haven't even heard of the guy since Phoenix.

Brazil
06-28-2010, 08:17 PM
I'm not a big fan of Gomes, he is quite inconsistent and he is a guy who needs confidence and PT, he is not the kind of guy who can give an instant boost coming off the bench. He is a decent rebounder can shoot open 3s but he is below average defensively. IMO he doesn't worth the needed investment.