PDA

View Full Version : Serious question, no trolling

BUMP
06-28-2010, 12:19 PM
But what's the general consensus amongst Spur fans and their chances to win it all this season? Are you guys looking more to rebuild, or try to catch magic in a bottle by assembling hopefully a quick fix while Duncan still has a few years in him?

weebo
06-28-2010, 12:26 PM
Reloading.

spursfaninla
06-28-2010, 12:29 PM
We have some young players that are good but not stars or anything.

We have some good vet players.

I think we have a longshot at a title next year if we are completely healthy during the playoffs. This year, our health was a problem at the end of the season and the playoffs-tony, manu and hill all either were recovering or were injured.

Spurs will not rebuild, in that we will not blow the team up and start new, now or in the next few years.

If we were going to do that, we would have probably not re-upped with manu. So, we ride out the years with Duncan, and then we are as good as we are.

Thats how I see it.

Solid D
Bump this in a about 4 months when the roster is more than 2/3 full, Bump.

Guajalote
This question will be easier to answer at the trade deadline during the season. Any major moves either way should have been made by then. IMO we're in the same boat as the Mavs. Just waiting to see what's available when the time comes.

Leetonidas
06-28-2010, 12:30 PM
I think the Spurs had a golden chance to win this season but RJ was a little faggot and we had no interior presence. Tim has shown he can still perform at a high level, as can Manu, and if Parker is healthy than you obviously can't count us out. If Hill and Blair continue to improve, I think adding Splitter will seriously put us in contention because we were a healthy Parker and decent big man away from the WCF. And the Lakeshow will be there again next year. Their main advantage is their size, and if the Spurs have Timmy/Splitter/Blair/Dyess/whoever else they sign to throw at Odom/Bynum/Gasol, then I think things are more even.

We need some perimeter defense. I think adding Anderson was a good move because he can hit the open three, something we've been sorely missing, so at this point if everything pans out, and that's a big if, then most of holes are covered except for a perimeter defender.

Cane
06-28-2010, 12:38 PM
Spurs still seem like a strong candidate for reaching the WCF but imo a healthy LA is still too tough for anyone in the West however Kobe and Bynum haven't really been healthy and they've got a lot of miles. Tiago should help address some of the defensive weaknesses the Spurs have, Hill and Blair should only get better, RJ and Parker will be in contract years, Parker should actually be healthy, and drafting Anderson seems like a step in the right direction.

Looking good so far. Just also have to stay healthy which seems more likely than ever since Parker and Manu are resting and not having surgeries. The Spurs played the past 3 or so seasons without a healthy big 3 especially in the playoffs and yet still managed to take down the 2nd seed without even hitting a single three-pointer in one of those games. Incredible.

LoneStarState'sPride
06-28-2010, 12:48 PM
Reloading--the FO's doing just about everything they can to give Timmy one more run.

coyotes_geek
06-28-2010, 12:54 PM
Definitely reloading. You can rebuild any time you want to, but you only get so many years of Tim Duncan.

benefactor
06-28-2010, 12:55 PM
It will depend a lot on Splitter and what kind of impact he will provide. I don't think even a healthy TP/TD/Manu at the top of their games is enough anymore. If Splitter can make a game changing difference on both ends of the floor right out of the gate then the Spurs can be contenders again.

JamStone
06-28-2010, 01:00 PM
The Spurs have the same main problem they've had for the past several years, and probably more so every year as Duncan gets older and older. They need a legit 6'10 to 6'11 athletic big to play next Tim Duncan. Dice can give the Spurs midrange jumpshooting and a nice experience veteran and Blair can do his work on the boards, but it comes down to being able to match-up against the front courts of the really elite teams. RJ wouldn't be such a big problem if the Spurs had that athletic big who could help defend the low post, freeing up Duncan somewhat and who can not only block some shots but be an interior presence to keep teams out of the paint in the first place.

If the Spurs bring Splitter over and he plays as a lot of people expect, they could be right back in the mix even with Ginobili and Duncan not being the same players they were a few years ago.

I still think that's more of a concern the RJ acquisition not working out.

Mel_13
06-28-2010, 01:03 PM
With Splitter- reloading (keep your core and add the best possible pieces).

Without Splitter- rebuilding gets accelerated (i.e. Parker gets shopped)

mingus
06-28-2010, 01:05 PM
The Spurs have the same main problem they've had for the past several years, and probably more so every year as Duncan gets older and older. They need a legit 6'10 to 6'11 athletic big to play next Tim Duncan. Dice can give the Spurs midrange jumpshooting and a nice experience veteran and Blair can do his work on the boards, but it comes down to being able to match-up against the front courts of the really elite teams. RJ wouldn't be such a big problem if the Spurs had that athletic big who could help defend the low post, freeing up Duncan somewhat and who can not only block some shots but be an interior presence to keep teams out of the paint in the first place.

If the Spurs bring Splitter over and he plays as a lot of people expect, they could be right back in the mix even with Ginobili and Duncan not being the same players they were a few years ago.

I still think that's more of a concern the RJ acquisition not working out.

+1

although the Spurs desperately need 3-point shooting, so i'm not sure which is more important.

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-28-2010, 01:10 PM
Looking at things right now I'd say reloading but keeping their eyes on rebuilding options at the deadline. With the FA crop out there the balance of power can shift over night in the coming months so that seems the smart way to play it.

Samr
06-28-2010, 01:16 PM
Even if you are the Lakers, it takes all the exact right pieces falling in the exact right places in order to even contend for a title. And then if you enter the playoffs as a contender, things can still happen. Look at last year's Cavs. A championship is as much about luck, as it is about skill. (An analogy can be made to scoring a goal in soccer.)

In that light, I think going into the season the Spurs will certainly have a solid foundation from which a championship team could easily come, if the pieces fall in the right way. So do the Lakers, Mavs, Suns, Magic, Celtics, and depending on free agency a few other teams as well.

Going into the off-seasons in other championship-producing years I didn't think they had it either. We'll see how it goes.

(Or, if you wanted a one-sentence, way too general answer answer: I really like the team, but I in no way at this point expect to see them in the Finals.)

DrSteffo
06-28-2010, 01:56 PM
Reloading. We had to give significant minutes to Mason, Bogans and Bonner last season and still was competitive. We already drafted a Mason replacement. Splitter would be a great addition and Blair and Hill should improve.

On the other hand I'm not convinced Jefferson will improve much and I don't see us being a great defensive team like in our championship seasons. That's what concerns me the most and I feel that we miss at least one (defensive) piece of the puzzle to be considered serious contenders.

Bukefal
06-28-2010, 02:21 PM
:lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt: :king :lobt2:

CubanMustGo
06-28-2010, 03:13 PM
Reload. Hopefully the front office can do something creative with some of the parts that didn't contribute much last year.

But the Spurs need stoppers to win championships and sadly those days seen to be gone. Splitter might help some but they really miss a lockdown player.

And RJ, if he sticks around, needs to memorize this:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_fCCi085H8U0/SoDp3JFRKbI/AAAAAAAAANc/TewcidjJ56o/s320/Pull+Your+Head+Out+Award.jpg

Dex
06-28-2010, 03:15 PM
Magic in a bottle.

Spurs will have plenty of time to rebuild if they want after Duncan is gone, if they choose to do so. But I'm pretty sure they are readying for one last mad dash before he hangs 'em up.

xellos88330
06-28-2010, 03:29 PM
It looks to me like the Spurs are rebuilding on the fly. Last season the Spurs reloaded and fired blanks. With all the new young talent that is coming into San Antonio, it is hard to deny that the Spurs are rebuilding for the inevitable retirement of Duncan. With the way the draft has been going for the Spurs, it looks like reloading, but I think in hindsight it will prove to be a rebuilding process.

Skywalker
06-28-2010, 06:39 PM
Title this year...and next if Tony does not get greedy.

He deserves 75-80% of a max deal if he is going to play international ball, which it seems he would once he gets his deal done. He'll want the max because there will be some team willing to pay it.

timtonymanu
06-28-2010, 07:45 PM
Right now that is very hard to answer.

As long as Duncan is around, Im sure the team's motive is to win now.

Splitter is still a question mark on coming over. We dont know if RJ will still be having trouble fitting in next year. We dont know if Dice will even be effective next season.

Seventyniner
06-28-2010, 08:06 PM
I think the Spurs have a decent chance if the following things happen:

1) Spurs sign Splitter
2) Phil Jackson retires
3) Celtics lose Ray Allen

The Spurs will definitely need some help to rise to the very top of the league again.

ajh18
06-28-2010, 08:07 PM
I also think this decision will be made at the trade deadline. After this year, I just cant see the Spurs paying Parker with a raise, in addition to someone they get through a sign-and-trade using RJ at the deadline. Frankly, I would rather not trade either, just let RJ walk, and re-sign Tony to a long-term deal around the same time of year we gave Manu his extension this year.

I think at the deadline, one of 3 things happens: 1) The Spurs use RJ as an expiring contract to acquire a fourth star, probably signaling that Tony won't be resigned 2) The Spurs trade Tony (and possibly RJ too), completely reshaping the team with either new talent or youth and picks, or 3) RJ stays, meaning Tony will likely be resigned and one of our young players will take over at SF next year.

I prefer option 3, myself, but can see the Spurs going with one of the others if they feel the team is not a contender.

dallaskd
06-28-2010, 08:10 PM
This question will be easier to answer at the trade deadline during the season. Any major moves either way should have been made by then. IMO we're in the same boat as the Mavs. Just waiting to see what's available when the time comes.

Mavs are not just waiting to see whats available when the time comes. They are hard pressing to get another superstar and have major trading pieces. Spurs are limited unless they want to split the big 3.

Dr. Gonzo
06-28-2010, 09:01 PM
http://captionsearch.com/pix/t1gb4klq3.jpg

m33p0
06-28-2010, 09:09 PM
took you only a few hours to un-retire eh?

DrSteffo
06-29-2010, 06:51 AM
Props to our FO for always wanting to win now instead of building for the future. Spurs have been old for as long as I can remember and that focus on actual skill rather than potential, in combination with drafting the big 3, is what gave us those championships. I don't believe in rebuilding, even after Duncan retires, if it means deliberately going into tanking mode and not caring about winning games. Getting young talent is of course a good thing but having good players is what really matters.

SpurCharger
06-29-2010, 09:52 AM
The Spurs Need To Sign Splitter....
The Spurs Need To trade RJ for another Small Forward Who can fit The spurs sytem better.
Hopefully Sign A Decent Big Who Can Alter Shots, and Rebound.

The Spurs Need 1 Or 2 3 pt shooters, and At Least 1 Solid Big Who can Help out Duncan, and Be A Presence in the Middle. If We Do do not get These things we will not Win next year.

G-Dawgg
06-29-2010, 12:32 PM
Unless we can get a perimeter ball-hawk, and a mobile shotblocker there's no way we can compete. Period.

Our defense is not championship calibur.

kjhip1
06-29-2010, 01:58 PM
Agree with asking this question as the trade deadline looms...Who's to say we're not shopping TP or RJ...The only problem with that is team cohesion if bring in new players mid-season..

bighappy
06-29-2010, 02:13 PM
spurs have to rebuild. tim is old, manu and parker are breaking down or broke. the spurs have never been able big time free agent and chance of getting a great player so late in the draft are slim. trade is inlikey

Chomag
06-29-2010, 02:16 PM
Some think staying pat is the way to go. I just want to remind those that do of Detroit. There is a time where you have to reload even though having the same core that got you some championships.

Every championship team had to retool or even completely rebuild to get back there. I just don't see how it might be different for the Spurs.

kjhip1
06-29-2010, 02:22 PM
spurs have to rebuild. tim is old, manu and parker are breaking down or broke. the spurs have never been able big time free agent and chance of getting a great player so late in the draft are slim. trade is inlikey

Tim is old but by no means is he not capable of giving at least 15ppg and 10 rpg...As you saw last year, the Spurs relied more on the scoring from the bench as well as all TP and Manu..the Spurs problem was the 3 point shot and defensive positions. Had we had a capable 3 point shooter (in the playoffs) and another big (who is not undersized), I'm sure the result would have been different.

Is their window of oppurtunity closing fast? Yes. Are they done? No. Granted, finding good players in the later rounds is almost impossible, but clearly the Spurs have the knack of finding those diamonds in the rough. I'd have a little more optimism before you start taking about rebuilding.

DrSteffo
06-30-2010, 01:04 AM
Some think staying pat is the way to go. I just want to remind those that do of Detroit. There is a time where you have to reload even though having the same core that got you some championships.

Every championship team had to retool or even completely rebuild to get back there. I just don't see how it might be different for the Spurs.

When did the Spurs rebuild the last 15 years? We were good in the Robinson era, he got injured one season, we won the lottery and got Duncan. Is that retooling or rebuilding? Then I'm all for it. Trading all star caliber veterans is another thing.

About Detroit: Spur's FO >>> Piston's FO.

Pistons traded Billups and Dice for A.I. and after that they haven't had a true PG. They have been one of the most unbalanced team in the nba with too many scoring combo guards and in the draft last summer they drafted 3 small forwards while already having Prince. (Jerebko was a steal in the second round and started 73 games but why not get a true pg, pf or c with one of the picks?). The way to destroy a team is to keep the old players that decline the most (Prince and Big Ben), get rid of your skilled PG and acquire a bunch of new players that play the same position, plus relying on the powers of Kwame Brown.

It's not like the Pistons have done nothing, it's more like what they decided to do and what they decided not to do was STUPID.

It's simple: always try to get the best available players but make sure you have a mix of positions and skill sets. If the players you have suck (hello Roger Mason Jr) then by all means get rid of them. If they still contribute on a high level (hello big 3) then keep them. Also try to find skilled new players that fit the team's needs.