PDA

View Full Version : Blatter apologizes and 'wants to talk'

Bukefal
06-29-2010, 05:02 AM
JOHANNESBURG: England and Mexico received a fulsome apology from FIFA President Sepp Blatter on Tuesday over refereeing errors during their World Cup last 16 matches and announced FIFA would discuss the introduction of goal-line technology at a meeting next month in Cardiff.

The Swiss was reacting to two incidents on Sunday when England's Frank Lampard had a goal disallowed even though it was clearly over the line in the clash with Germany which would have made it 2-2. The Germans went on to win 4-1.

Mexico were also left aggrieved when Argentinian striker Carlos Tevez was clearly offside when he scored their first goal and it was made worse when the incident was shown on the big screen.

Referee Roberto Rosetti was unable to disallow the goal as he is forbidden to take into account such evidence. Argentina went on to win 3-1.

"Personally I deplore it when you see evident referee mistakes but it's not the end of a competition or the end of football, this can happen," said Blatter.

"The only thing I can do is yesterday I have spoken to the two federations (England and Mexico) directly concerned by referees mistakes.

"I have expressed to them apologies and I understand they are not happy and that people are criticising.

"I apologised to England and Mexico. The English said 'thank you' and accepted that you can win (some) and you lose (some), and the Mexicans bowed their head and accepted it.

Blatter said that the only technology that would be discussed would be goalline technology which would have made no difference to the Mexican game or indeed to the incident when Thierry Henry's handball set up what proved to be the crucial goal in the France vs Ireland World Cup play-off last November.

"The only principle we are going to bring back for discussion is goal-line technology," said Blatter.

"Football is a game that never stops and the moment there was a discussion if the ball was in or out, or there was a goal-scoring opportunity, do we give a possibility to a team to call for replays once or twice like in tennis?

"For situations like the Mexico game you don't need technology.

"Its obvious that that after what we have experienced so far it would be a nonsense not to reopen the technology topic in July (21-22) in Cardiff."

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/wcarticleshow/6105650.cms

FIFA president Sepp Blatter has apologized to England and Mexico for the refereeing errors that helped eliminate them from the World Cup and says FIFA will reopen the debate on introducing video technology.

Blatter said Tuesday that he said sorry to team officials, and that the delegations of both teams accepted his apology.

"Naturally we deplore when you see the evidence of refereeing mistakes," Blatter said.

Blatter said FIFA will "reopen the file" on video technology at a meeting of its rule-making panel in Wales next month.

He added that it would be "a nonsense" not to consider changes.

FIFA also will update its referee training program.

Blatter said FIFA has set a deadline of October or November to create a new concept for improving match control by referees and assistants "in high level competitions."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/29/fifa-world-cup-apology-se_n_628861.html

Bukefal
06-29-2010, 05:03 AM
FIFA president Sepp Blatter has done a U-turn over the use of goal-line technology and apologized to the English and Mexican football associations for controversial refereeing decisions in their last 16 defeats.

Blatter told a media briefing in Johannesburg that FIFA "will naturally take on board the discussion on technology" and said the International FA Board would discuss it at their next meeting in Wales on July 21-22, the UK Press Association reported Tuesday.

Frank Lampard's goal that never was as England trailed 2-1 just before halftime in their last 16 match against Germany, prompted widespread calls for the use of video and goal-line technology after his shot clearly crossed the line.

In a later match on Sunday, Argentina's Carlos Tevez scored a hotly-disputed opening goal against Mexico in their 3-1 victory and television replays, which were broadcast on big screens at the ground, showed him to be offside.

Blatter added: "It happened in 1966 and then 44 years later -- though it was not quite the same," a reference to England's disputed third goal against West Germany in the 1966 World Cup final.

"I apologized to England and Mexico.

"The English said 'thank you and accepted that you can win some and you lose some, and the Mexicans bowed their head and accepted it," he told gathered reporters.

But the FIFA president is still set against the wider use of video technology which many in the game are calling to be introduced.

"The only principle we are going to bring back for discussion is goal-line technology," he said

Time for football to embrace technology ?
"Football is a game that never stops and the moment there was a discussion if the ball was in or out, or there was a goal-scoring opportunity, do we give a possibility to a team to call for replays once or twice like in tennis?
"For situations like the Mexico game you don't need technology."

Blatter added that the world governing body would launch a new drive to improve refereeing standards at the highest level later this year.

"We will come out with a new model in November on how to improve high level referees," he said.

"We will start with a new concept of how to improve match control. I cannot disclose more of what we are doing but something has to be changed."

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/SPORT/football/06/29/blatter.apology.fifa.meeting/index.html?hpt=Sbin&fbid=swKLTZOVUjG

Phenomanul
06-29-2010, 08:33 AM
I hate the part where FIFA was more "upset" about the fact that the error/evidence was shown on the big screen monitors during the match, than over the errors themselves... That alone speaks volumes about their mentality, and their approach...

What are the Stadium techs supposed to do in that instance... not show the repetition of the "goal"? People would immediately know something was amiss if that happened... There was a sequence during the 2nd half of the Mex/Arg game where the Argentinean defense cleared out a ball at the goal line... I was surprised no game replays were shown for that play, given what had happened earlier... Wasn't obvious at the time, but the defensive clearance was legit... albeit close... The doubt lingered in my mind until I saw the play analyzed in a 3rd party sports segment.

Strangely enough, both Manu and Messi agreed that the decisions were costly for the other team... in Messi's case he bluntly stated that the first goal was the turning point of the game, giving Argentina the 'in-game tranquility' to manage the rest of the game... Tevez just laughed when asked if his goal was offsides...

That game will forever leave a bitter taste for Mexican fans...

As for the Mexican team, they were completely demoralized when they saw that Argentina had been gifted a goal... I don't justify their reaction and their loss of focus but I understand it... It's not the same thing to fall behind on the scoreboard knowing you conceded a goal versus knowing that the goal was illegitimate, and that other forces were seemingly against you as well... especially against a frontline as talented as Argentina's... it seemed like an insurmountable hurdle at that point...

In the case of England / Germany... karma was just returning the favor from decades ago where the English were gifted a goal that never was... against the Germans...

ElNono
06-29-2010, 08:37 AM
Tevez just laughed when asked if his goal was offsides...

Actually, Tevez said he knew he was offside and that was the reason that the first thing he did after scoring was to turn around and look at the linesman.

Bukefal
06-29-2010, 08:43 AM
I hate the part where FIFA was more "upset" about the fact that the error/evidence was shown on the big screen monitors during the match, than over the errors themselves... That alone speaks volumes about their mentality, and their approach...

Yeah that was ridiculous. Instead that they were giving statements and apologies for the bad calls, the thing they were talking about was in the future they will forbid recaps on the screen of such plays. Censorship it is, looks like North Korea lol. It's just one big powerful mafia smh.

Phenomanul
06-29-2010, 08:49 AM
Actually, Tevez said he knew he was offside and that was the reason that the first thing he did after scoring was to turn around and look at the linesman.

...and immediately ran the other way to celebrate... I know Carlitos said that as well... I wasn't trying to suggest he denied the error... he just laughed it off... as only those on your side can... Mexicans surely aren't laughing about this error...

Mexico has never, in the history of these tournaments, managed to get one of these "calls" to go in their favor... Nor do I think they ever will...

Like it or not teams like Argentina, Italy and Germany have gotten many such calls over the years... at least in Argentina's case, they tasted the other side of the coin when the phantom penalty was called against them in the 1990 WC Final... and not surprisingly, it was the Germans who capitalized on it...

As I said earlier... that's why I can root for Brazil... the "luck" angle isnt as prevalent a force in their World Cup successes... (and before you perceive that comment as insulting... just consder the history)... In no way does that mean that your teams aren't as talented... simply that you also have luck to go along with that talent... It's part of every sport...

Mexico is simply unlucky when it comes to such matters...

MaNuMaNiAc
06-29-2010, 09:23 AM
Isn't it amazing how a ref fuck up allows a whole country to completely forget all their teams shortcomings and have a scapegoat for their failure to win?

I swear, the only reason we're even discussing the Tevez offside was because it was a very evident mistake. As in no question he was offside, and that's fine. Something needs to be done about these sort of calls, but botched offside calls are a dime a dozen. The Mexico offside doesn't even begin to qualify as being in the same level as the US and England disallowed goals.

Lampards goal was the result of the English stepping up play when it mattered, scoring two goals in succession, the latter one being disallowed when it was no question it was in. This was a play of merit. The English can say they were jobbed out of something they earnestly created and weren't given credit for.

The Tevez offside was indeed an offside, and yeah the goal shouldn't have counted, but what exactly is the most Mexican's can say about it? They certainly can't claim they were screwed out of something they created and deserved... 99% of that play was horrible Mexican defense. The ball didn't get there by magic. This isn't the same as the English. At all IMO.

Don't get me wrong, I agree the goal shouldn't have counted, I agree the ref fucked up, I completely disagree that this gives Mexican's carte blanche to rewrite the result of the game. I'm so fucking tired of my Mexican friends pulling that card. I think in that regard I hate the ref even more than any Mexican does.

MaNuMaNiAc
06-29-2010, 09:44 AM
...and immediately ran the other way to celebrate... I know Carlitos said that as well... I wasn't trying to suggest he denied the error... he just laughed it off... as only those on your side can... Mexicans surely aren't laughing about this error...

Mexico has never, in the history of these tournaments, managed to get one of these "calls" to go in their favor... Nor do I think they ever will...

Like it or not teams like Argentina, Italy and Germany have gotten many such calls over the years... at least in Argentina's case, they tasted the other side of the coin when the phantom penalty was called against them in the 1990 WC Final... and not surprisingly, it was the Germans who capitalized on it...

As I said earlier... that's why I can root for Brazil... the "luck" angle isnt as prevalent a force in their World Cup successes... (and before you perceive that comment as insulting... just consder the history)... In no way does that mean that your teams aren't as talented... simply that you also have luck to go along with that talent... It's part of every sport...

yeah, Germany's penalty wasn't the only questionable call we've gotten against us in WCs. England's penalty in 2002 which contributed to us going home in the group stage was the result of Owen and Beckham diving like cliff divers and there have been many more in the past. So what?

You're not the only team to face bad calls against them. Christ, its always the same thing with you. Its never Mexico's shortcomings its always everyone else's fault. Europe doesn't take Mexican players because they discriminate against them, Mexico doesn't win because they are somehow cursed with bad luck, as if no other team in history has had to face calls like this...

and no, the reason why you can root for Brazil is because Mexico never wins anything and bandwagon fans hitch theirs to whoever does. No shame in admitting it, but DO admit it.

I'm sorry, I'm just tired of the overwhelming amount of bullshit posturing by my Mexico friends and this is the best place to rant about it.

diego
06-29-2010, 10:05 AM
please, brasil wasnt lucky in 2002? they got a penalty kick on a foul 2meters outside the area, they got a player ejected for a dead ball flop- no player to player contact, ball to player!- on a corner kick (rivaldo vs. turkey).
or the luis fabiano double hand ball just now vs CIV?
and in the copa america, tulio's hand ball...

nevermind the easy groups they always get

better yet, when was the last time brazil got screwed by a call? exactly.

ffadicted
06-29-2010, 10:08 AM
:cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry
:cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry

Lighten up buttercup

diego
06-29-2010, 10:24 AM
http://www.gifbin.com/982499

tried to post a gif but apparently doesnt work, there's a youtube with all of it-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeE4Sl_i63k

diego
06-29-2010, 10:34 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5pJxvQK4Xg&feature=related

same WC, typical brazilian- we dont like jogo bonito when its done to us so we'll foul you and take you out. roberto carlos takes mansiz down from behind, clearly taking away the advantage for turkey, where is the card?

complete double standard.

no one's crying FF, just showing its a myth that brazil doesnt get favorable calls, but please keep posting emoticons, they're much better than an actual argument.

it's me
06-29-2010, 11:10 AM

Sure …. because for FIFA isn’t a good idea to have a Concacrap teams to advance .. specially Mexico, who’s fans consume futbol more than any other…. FIFA wants the same teams to win every tournament… jezzz Mexicans never change… there’s always somebody else’s fault, they are perfect and that is one of the reason you’re becoming Argentina’s grand grand sons…. Instead of always blaming others, step up your game and correct mistakes. The bad call affected Argentina more than Mexico…… That was the game with more fouls in the WC and Torrado was the player to commit more fouls in the same game , fucking pathetic, Marquez throwing elbows…. Both, Torrado and Marquez should have seen the red card… but for a fucking lineman mistake , they played and Torrado didn’t even see the yellow…… pathetic. Mexicans, stop crying.

MaNuMaNiAc
06-29-2010, 11:19 AM
Sure …. because for FIFA isn’t a good idea to have a Concacrap teams to advance .. specially Mexico, who’s fans consume futbol more than any other…. FIFA wants the same teams to win every tournament… jezzz Mexicans never change… there’s always somebody else’s fault, they are perfect and that is one of the reason you’re becoming Argentina’s grand grand sons…. Instead of always blaming others, step up your game and correct mistakes. The bad call affected Argentina more than Mexico…… That was the game with more fouls in the WC and Torrado was the player to commit more fouls in the same game , fucking pathetic, Marquez throwing elbows…. Both, Torrado and Marquez should have seen the red card… but for a fucking lineman mistake , they played and Torrado didn’t even see the yellow…… pathetic. Mexicans, stop crying.

woah, I wouldn't go that far. Nobody here disputes that Mexico was affected by the bad call. Not to the extent most Mexican fans like to claim IMO but they were definitely screwed on the call.

I would also like to add that the Mexican players have been nothing but class about the whole thing.

Muser
06-29-2010, 11:23 AM
They need to put the technology in ASAP, if something like Lampards goal happens in the final it's going to be a travesty.

MaNuMaNiAc
06-29-2010, 11:25 AM
They need to put the technology in ASAP, if something like Lampards goal happens in the final it's going to be a travesty.

It was a travesty when it happened to England. Its a travesty that it had to happen this blatantly and in a WC for Blatter to get his head out of his ass. We'll see what the solution they come up with ends up being.

resistanze
06-29-2010, 11:51 AM
He's an asshole.

Phenomanul
06-29-2010, 01:40 PM

What are the Stadium techs supposed to do in that instance... not show the repetition of the "goal"? People would immediately know something was amiss if that happened... There was a sequence during the 2nd half of the Mex/Arg game where the Argentinean defense cleared out a ball at the goal line... I was surprised no game replays were shown for that play, given what had happened earlier... Wasn't obvious at the time, but the defensive clearance was legit... albeit close... The doubt lingered in my mind until I saw the play analyzed in a 3rd party sports segment.

Strangely enough, both Manu and Messi agreed that the decisions were costly for the other team... in Messi's case he bluntly stated that the first goal was the turning point of the game, giving Argentina the 'in-game tranquility' to manage the rest of the game... Tevez just laughed when asked if his goal was offsides...

That game will forever leave a bitter taste for Mexican fans...

As for the Mexican team, they were completely demoralized when they saw that Argentina had been gifted a goal... I don't justify their reaction and their loss of focus but I understand it... It's not the same thing to fall behind on the scoreboard knowing you conceded a goal versus knowing that the goal was illegitimate, and that other forces were seemingly against you as well... especially against a frontline as talented as Argentina's... it seemed like an insurmountable hurdle at that point...

In the case of England / Germany... karma was just returning the favor from decades ago where the English were gifted a goal that never was... against the Germans...

In case you missed it MaNuMaNiAc...

I'm not making excuses for the game... Mexico has been Argentina's stepping stone for years, I've said so on many occasions...

I've also brought up the fact that Mexico can in fact prevail over the "Football Titans"; Germany and Argentina notwithstanding... look at their history against Brazil and Italy over the past decade or so...

Frankly, I don't care that you're peeved against your Mexican friends... Get over it your team won!!! But that won't negate the fact that Argentina's first goal completely changed the balance of the game... and no... the ball didn't get there "magically,".... it did so illegitimately... your team was gifted a goal they clearly didn't earn...

Don't give me all this B.S. on how only England or the U.S. have legitimate reasons to feel annoyed with FIFA... The U.S. fought back and scored 3 goals after falling behind 2-0 on legitimately conceded goals... the fact that their last goal was disallowed only changed the outcome of the game... at the time the call was made it didn't have a chance to affect the players to as great of an extent because the game was almost over... some of the players however, were completely outraged after the game (specifically Altidore and Bradley).... Despite all that, the U.S. still ended up 1st place in their group...

Mexico was holding Argentina in check before Tevez's goal... that they unraveled afterwards because they're mentally weak doesn't mean I don't understand why they felt the game was unwinnable at that point... They knew they had to play the perfect game to beat Argentina, because they realized going in that the feat was daunting... from that point forward, however, they knew it would be next to impossible... especially because the referee admitted to seeing the replay on the jumbotron (Rafael Marquez knows some italian) but had to give-in to the decision of the linesman even though he knew the call was wrong... That's why the Argentinean players jumped in on the gathering... they didn't want the goal dissallowed, and the ref was only seconds away from doing so... If it didn't matter either way, why were the Argentinean players so against having it revoked? Fact is they needed that goal more than you would be willing to admit. Lionel Messi reiterated that fact after the game (my favorite footballer BTW)... and I trust his assessment of the situation more than yours...

The game will be historically marred whether you like it or not... And no, I don't care if that upsets you. Good luck against the Germans.

That said, if Mexico didn't want to go out against Argentina, they should have ponied up and beat Uruguay... Since they failed to do that, they deserved to lose in the round of 16...

Phenomanul
06-29-2010, 01:56 PM
yeah, Germany's penalty wasn't the only questionable call we've gotten against us in WCs. England's penalty in 2002 which contributed to us going home in the group stage was the result of Owen and Beckham diving like cliff divers and there have been many more in the past. So what?

You're not the only team to face bad calls against them. Christ, its always the same thing with you. Its never Mexico's shortcomings its always everyone else's fault. Europe doesn't take Mexican players because they discriminate against them, Mexico doesn't win because they are somehow cursed with bad luck, as if no other team in history has had to face calls like this...

and no, the reason why you can root for Brazil is because Mexico never wins anything and bandwagon fans hitch theirs to whoever does. No shame in admitting it, but DO admit it.

I'm sorry, I'm just tired of the overwhelming amount of bullshit posturing by my Mexico friends and this is the best place to rant about it.

Fail...

I also root for Brazil because my grandmother is Brazilian... Mexico-U.S.A.-Brazil; those have always been my soccer allegiances...

But thanks for showing everyone here your whole tirade is bit overdramatic and a bit too personal... and caution, the more you take it there... don't think for a second that I won't gloat over the fact that Brazil has accomplished far more than Argentina on the world stage...

NuGGeTs-FaN
06-29-2010, 02:16 PM
No surprise here. I said it before that the top flight teams get the apparent 'missed' calls and get help all the time. Now even the head of FIFA is inadvertently backing those claims :smokin

Heck look at how France got to the world cup. It is just lucky that the French and Italians were beyond horrible this World Cup :lmao

Muser
06-29-2010, 02:17 PM
Didn't want to make a thread like all the Donovan reactions, but watch this :lol

GkqK6uDkdUM

Muser
06-29-2010, 02:17 PM
Fuck, embedding won't work with it. Watch it on youtube anyway.

ElNono
06-29-2010, 02:27 PM
Fucking Blatter also confirmed today that there will be no extra qualifying spots for South America going forward, and they'll have to stick with the 4+1 they have now... :pctoss

urunobili
06-29-2010, 02:34 PM
Fucking Blatter also confirmed today that there will be no extra qualifying spots for South America going forward, and they'll have to stick with the 4+1 they have now... :pctoss

This truly sucks... teams that mostly use local players have an advantage over those that need to fly from the opposite hemisphere to come train get used tot he time / weather differential and play 5 days after... truly lame...unless Uruguay wins it all it'll struggle to make it to the next one again because of this :depressed

DAF86
06-29-2010, 02:36 PM

Dude GTFO, Brazil may be the most benefited team in the history of football, do you remember Havelange?

urunobili
06-29-2010, 02:40 PM
Argentina has been fucked several times...

Brazil is BY FAR the most benefited team in the history of the cup followed by Italy

NuGGeTs-FaN
06-29-2010, 03:02 PM
:lol yep, definately Italy. They are nothing without biased refs

lefty
06-29-2010, 03:05 PM
Fuck you Blatter

And RIP Italy

Phenomanul
06-29-2010, 03:25 PM
Dude GTFO, Brazil may be the most benefited team in the history of football, do you remember Havelange?

Nothing guaranteed to rile up an Argentinean better than to praise Brazil's football... like clockwork. :lol (edit: not that this is my intention)

The random mention of FIFA's previous president isn't an argument... nor the fact that his nationality is Brazillian...

Other than Luis Fabiano's recent goal against Ivory Coast in this WC (which occurred in group play as opposed to the knockout rounds) I don't remember any hand-goals to Brazil's credit, or any controversial offsides goals to their credit... I will say this, Brazillians are dirty players when they're down on the scoreboard... or when they feel they're being outplayed or 'one-upped' by the opposition... but that's clearly a different issue...

ffadicted
06-29-2010, 03:26 PM
Argentina has been fucked several times...

Brazil is BY FAR the most benefited team in the history of the cup followed by Italy

Evidence? I tbh don't remember a big one other then Rivaldo's famous corner kick dive lol

DAF86
06-29-2010, 03:46 PM
Nothing guaranteed to rile up an Argentinean better than to praise Brazil's football... like clockwork. :lol

The random mention of FIFA's previous president isn't an argument... nor the fact that his nationality is Brazillian...

Other than Luis Fabiano's recent goal against Ivory Coast in this WC (which occurred in group play as opposed to the knockout rounds) I don't remember any hand-goals to Brazil's credit, or any controversial offsides goals to their credit... I will say this, Brazillians are dirty players when they're down on the scoreboard... or when they feel they're being outplayed or 'one-upped' by the opposition...

Argentina gets a lot of bad rep for Maradona's hand goal. But other than that you have now this Tevez goal and not much more. We have had a lot less luck with the refs than you think. In the final of 1990 (getting fucked in the final should count twice), in the semis of 1966 (German ref for Argentina-England, England ref for Germany-Uruguay :rolleyes), in 2006 Lehman shouldn't have been allowed to have that piece of paper and all the divided calls were in favour of Germany, in 2002 we got eliminated on an invented penalty in the game against England. And there's more (I forgot: in 2006 we should have beaten you in regulation. Messi scored a goal while beign onside but he got called for an offside. So there you have one in favour of Mexico). Not to mention that we tend to draw the "group of death" pretty often. Do you remember Pele's face when he placed Holland's ball in Argentina's group in 2006?

And about Havelange, in 1994 everybody was saying Argentina this, Germany that, Italy also. And Grondona said: "don't forget about Brazil, remember that Havelange will retire after this WC". You can interpret that as you want.

Phenomanul
06-29-2010, 04:35 PM
Argentina gets a lot of bad rep for Maradona's hand goal. But other than that you have now this Tevez goal and not much more. We have had a lot less luck with the refs than you think. In the final of 1990 (getting fucked in the final should count twice), in the semis of 1966 (German ref for Argentina-England, England ref for Germany-Uruguay :rolleyes), in 2006 Lehman shouldn't have been allowed to have that piece of paper and all the divided calls were in favour of Germany, in 2002 we got eliminated on an invented penalty in the game against England. And there's more (I forgot: in 2006 we should have beaten you in regulation. Messi scored a goal while beign onside but he got called for an offside. So there you have one in favour of Mexico). Not to mention that we tend to draw the "group of death" pretty often. Do you remember Pele's face when he placed Holland's ball in Argentina's group in 2006?

And about Havelange, in 1994 everybody was saying Argentina this, Germany that, Italy also. And Grondona said: "don't forget about Brazil, remember that Havelange will retire after this WC". You can interpret that as you want.

I'm pretty sure Maradona blocked the ball from going into the goal while defending one of his goalposts (from a corner kick), in a game during the 1982 World Cup.... can't remember the opponent... using ta-da-da!!! his hand.

That disallowed Messi goal was 'make-up' call after one of the Argentinean defenders (Zanetti??) took out Mexico's lone striker on a counter and only got yellow-carded for it instead of being ejected (I remember having that discussion here with someone)... besides, the call was close and only determinable using replay technology, many refs would have botched it... Tevez's offsides on the other hand was grotesquely blatant...

As for questioning the refs nationalities... Mexico could have protested the fact that they were officiated by Italians in their match against Argentina... Are not many Argentineans of Italian descent???

As for having a "bad rep for Maradona's hand goal"... some of that is self-inflicted... particularly because Maradona denied his wrongdoing for many years...

DAF86
06-29-2010, 04:46 PM
I'm pretty sure Maradona blocked the ball from going into the goal while defending one of his goalposts (from a corner kick), in a game during the 1982 World Cup.... can't remember the opponent... using ta-da-da!!! his hand.

I never heard about that. Argentina was irrelevant on that cup anyways.

That disallowed Messi goal was 'make-up' call after one of the Argentinean defenders (Zanetti??) took out Mexico's lone striker on a counter and only got yellow-carded for it instead of being ejected (I remember having that discussion here with someone)... besides, the call was close and only determinable using replay technology, many refs would have botched it... Tevez's offsides on the other hand was grotesquely blatant...

That's like me saying that the Tevez's goal evens out with the fact that Torrado didn't even got a yellow when he deserved a red card.

As for questioning the refs nationalities... Mexico could have protested the fact that they were officiated by Italians in their match against Argentina... Are not many Argentineans of Italian descent???

No, that's nothing like it, and you know it. Tournament in Enlgand in the 60's. With two European powerhouses against two third world countries, Besides we all know the buzz surrounding that WC. Also, the Italians booed our National Anthem in 1990, there's no friendly relationship between us.

As for having a "bad rep for Maradona's hand goal"... some of that is self-inflicted... particularly because Maradona denied his wrongdoing for many years...

Doesn't change the fact that you have a missconception about Argentina getting all this help from the refs.

Phenomanul
06-29-2010, 05:03 PM
I never heard about that. Argentina was irrelevant on that cup anyways.

Yeah, I thought it was weird that I couldn't find it on Google... it's in one of my old World Cup VHS tapes... I'll look for it when I get the chance...

That's like me saying that the Tevez's goal evens out with the fact that Torrado didn't even got a yellow when he deserved a red card.

Torrado getting a yellow or a red is a wholly subjective decision... (he at least deserved a yellow for his repetitious fouling... I'm not sure any of his tackles warranted a red though...)

Taking out the last man in a position to score, however, is punishable by a red card per the regulations...

No, that's nothing like it, and you know it. Tournament in Enlgand in the 60's. With two European powerhouses against two third world countries, Besides we all know the buzz surrounding that WC. Also, the Italians booed our National Anthem in 1990, there's no friendly relationship between us.
Fair enough...

Doesn't change the fact that you have a missconception about Argentina getting all this help from the refs.
It doesn't... because every time I see an Argentina NT game, I'm constantly flooded by images that run counter to the spirit of "fair play"... son cancheros... everytime Argentina holds a lead, they all start flopping like flies... they start subbing players trying to kill time... they all overexaggerate contact (Heinze :bang)... you all reposition the ball for free-kicks, and throw-ins trying to get more of an advantage...

True... many teams do this now (including Mexico)... and I completely hate it. The masters of these tactics however are Italians and Argentineans...

DAF86
06-29-2010, 05:15 PM
You gotta admit that last part is pretty subjective of your part.

ElNono
06-29-2010, 05:18 PM
It doesn't... because every time I see an Argentina NT game, I'm constantly flooded by images that run counter to the spirit of "fair play"... son cancheros... everytime Argentina holds a lead, they all start flopping like flies... they start subbing players trying to kill time... they all overexaggerate contact (Heinze :bang)... you all reposition the ball for free-kicks, and throw-ins trying to get more of an advantage...

This could easily describe Italy, Brazil, Spain, Paraguay, Uruguay... so many teams. TBH, most good teams know how to manage games with stuff like that (talking to refs also). What I'm going to agree with is that it was done WAY more when Bilardo was the coach.

MaNuMaNiAc
06-29-2010, 05:34 PM
In case you missed it MaNuMaNiAc...

I'm not making excuses for the game... Mexico has been Argentina's stepping stone for years, I've said so on many occasions...

I've also brought up the fact that Mexico can in fact prevail over the "Football Titans"; Germany and Argentina notwithstanding... look at their history against Brazil and Italy over the past decade or so...

That wasn't what I was looking for. Mexico played us as equals again this year and yet lost again.

Frankly, I don't care that you're peeved against your Mexican friends... Get over it your team won!!! But that won't negate the fact that Argentina's first goal completely changed the balance of the game... and no... the ball didn't get there "magically,".... it did so illegitimately... your team was gifted a goal they clearly didn't earn...

Show me when I said the first goal was legitimate. I find it funny though that you can't bring yourself to admit that it was Mexico's crap defense that got you in that position in the first place.

Don't give me all this B.S. on how only England or the U.S. have legitimate reasons to feel annoyed with FIFA... The U.S. fought back and scored 3 goals after falling behind 2-0 on legitimately conceded goals... the fact that their last goal was disallowed only changed the outcome of the game... at the time the call was made it didn't have a chance to affect the players to as great of an extent because the game was almost over... some of the players however, were completely outraged after the game (specifically Altidore and Bradley).... Despite all that, the U.S. still ended up 1st place in their group...

It was still a disallowed goal, which is ten times more egregious than a non called offside, unless you're a butt hurt Mexican.

and what about England? nothing to say there right?

Mexico was holding Argentina in check before Tevez's goal... that they unraveled afterwards because they're mentally weak doesn't mean I don't understand why they felt the game was unwinnable at that point... They knew they had to play the perfect game to beat Argentina, because they realized going in that the feat was daunting... from that point forward, however, they knew it would be next to impossible...

Boy, the stories you weave... This isn't a movie. The game wasn't unwinnable, Argentina isn't the unbeatable powerhouse and Mexico played extremely well after the first goal (except for the second goal fuckup). Your players didn't give up, in fact if it wasn't for a few off the goal shots, you'd have been right in the game. No, your players didn't give up, pathetic fans like you took that goal as an excuse to give up. The minute that dumb ass linesman missed that call I KNEW we'd never hear the end of it from the likes of you.

especially because the referee admitted to seeing the replay on the jumbotron (Rafael Marquez knows some italian) but had to give-in to the decision of the linesman even though he knew the call was wrong... That's why the Argentinean players jumped in on the gathering... they didn't want the goal dissallowed, and the ref was only seconds away from doing so... If it didn't matter either way, why were the Argentinean players so against having it revoked?

:lol you're so full of shit. What the hell did you expect the Argentinian players to do? Concede that it was offside? Nobody, and I mean nobody would do that. Not even your precious Mexican team. Stop with the bullshit.

Besides I never said the goal had no effect on the game, I said it wasn't the sole reason why you lost and it doesn't give you carte blanche to use it as an excuse for all the other problems your team had. Your bad D and your inability to finish was what did you in, not the uncalled offside. Mexico outplayed Argentina up until the end, you could have won if you didn't have those problems.

Fact is they needed that goal more than you would be willing to admit. Lionel Messi reiterated that fact after the game (my favorite footballer BTW)... and I trust his assessment of the situation more than yours...

Messi (I don't give a crap who your favorite footballer is) reiterated that it was offside and that he didn't want the goal disallowed. How exactly does that prove anything to you? Of course they knew it was offside, and of course they wanted the goal, name one team in this world cup that would have done any differently?

The game will be historically marred whether you like it or not... And no, I don't care if that upsets you. Good luck against the Germans.

Yeah, it will be historically marred in the minds of people like you. To anyone with a brain it will be just another game where a ref fucked up and the team on the receiving end couldn't manage to turn it around even though they definitely had chances.

That said, if Mexico didn't want to go out against Argentina, they should have ponied up and beat Uruguay... Since they failed to do that, they deserved to lose in the round of 16...

I wouldn't say they deserved to lose. Mexico lost because it has glaring problems both on D and on finishing. You fix that and you're golden.

MaNuMaNiAc
06-29-2010, 05:43 PM
Fail...

I also root for Brazil because my grandmother is Brazilian... Mexico-U.S.A.-Brazil; those have always been my soccer allegiances...

Mexico-USA-Brazil? :lol

well you sure do cover all your bases don't you? You're the definition of a bandwagon fan.

But thanks for showing everyone here your whole tirade is bit overdramatic and a bit too personal... and caution, the more you take it there... don't think for a second that I won't gloat over the fact that Brazil has accomplished far more than Argentina on the world stage...

seriously? you post this

and you're calling me overdramatic and a bit too personal? GTFO :lmao

Phenomanul
06-29-2010, 08:39 PM
Mexico-USA-Brazil? :lol

well you sure do cover all your bases don't you? You're the definition of a bandwagon fan.

I was born in Mexico, I've lived in the USA since the age of 5, and my Grandmother on my mother's side is Brazillian... If you have an issue with with that take it elsewhere... bandwagon fan? pfffttt.. whatever :lol I've rooted for those teams since childhood... as far back as the 1982 World Cup...

seriously? you post this

just so you know you don't have any sort of leverage in the matter...

and you're calling me overdramatic and a bit too personal? GTFO :lmao
Apparently you don't understand the definition of "personal"... you attacked me based on arguments from previous discussions not in this thread... some more than 3 years old... The fact that I stated disliking bush-league tactics, and flopping in no way constitutes a personal attack on you... the fact that you think they do speaks volumes about your misplaced context.

Argentina es un equipo canchero... al igual que los Italianos... "No shame in admitting it, but DO admit it."

And apparently what also flew over your head was the fact that I said I hated those tactics period... no matter which team uses them... That's what was a breath of fresh air in watching Japan and even North Korea play (despite North Korea's lack of talent)... they simply PLAY... they don't overly exaggerate contact or try to fool the refs...

Phenomanul
06-29-2010, 09:03 PM
That wasn't what I was looking for. Mexico played us as equals again this year and yet lost again.

Show me when I said the first goal was legitimate. I find it funny though that you can't bring yourself to admit that it was Mexico's crap defense that got you in that position in the first place.

:lol The goalkeeper stopped Tevez's shot, and had to let go (by his own admission because he felt Tevez would look to dive and provoke the ref into calling a penalty)...

How is that crappy defense? The goalie stopped Tevez's potential shot and couldn't prevent the ball from ricochetting to Messi's foot...

It was still a disallowed goal, which is ten times more egregious than a non called offside, unless you're a butt hurt Mexican.

and what about England? nothing to say there right?

I'm not claiming that England isn't justified in having a gripe against the officiating or FIFA's position... that was never my position. If I was their fan, I'd be pissed.... But sure, go ahead and change the subject... :rolleyes

You on the other hand have repeatedly stated that Mexico doesn't have a legit gripe against the ruling on the field. And :lmao at your attempt to claim that it was simply a "non-called offside"... it was a damn goal! It affected the scoreboard by the same margin as your two examples from the US and England matches... by 1 goal/ -1 goal.

Boy, the stories you weave... This isn't a movie. The game wasn't unwinnable, Argentina isn't the unbeatable powerhouse and Mexico played extremely well after the first goal (except for the second goal fuckup). Your players didn't give up, in fact if it wasn't for a few off the goal shots, you'd have been right in the game. No, your players didn't give up, pathetic fans like you took that goal as an excuse to give up. The minute that dumb ass linesman missed that call I KNEW we'd never hear the end of it from the likes of you.

I don't know what game you watched... After the blown call, the Mexican players lost their cool... they started commiting harder fouls (desperation fouls) and completely lost their foothold of midfield... 13 minutes later Osorio went down in infamy (feel bad for him)...

Sure the second half they came back and tried to win the game... After Tevez's 2nd goal (on a fortuitous bounce)... the team was once again deflated... and of course, they kept fighting, but I'm pretty sure no one expected them to score 4 2nd half goals against Argentina...

:lol you're so full of shit. What the hell did you expect the Argentinian players to do? Concede that it was offside? Nobody, and I mean nobody would do that. Not even your precious Mexican team. Stop with the bullshit.

Besides I never said the goal had no effect on the game, I said it wasn't the sole reason why you lost and it doesn't give you carte blanche to use it as an excuse for all the other problems your team had. Your bad D and your inability to finish was what did you in, not the uncalled offside. Mexico outplayed Argentina up until the end, you could have won if you didn't have those problems.

How many times must I reiterate I'm not justifying their lack of focus and their loss of cool.... LOL "precious"... I'm not as emotionally attached to the fate of the Mexican squad as you would think... don't for one second think you're somehow hurting my psyche...

You're one stubborn fool...

Messi (I don't give a crap who your favorite footballer is) reiterated that it was offside and that he didn't want the goal disallowed. How exactly does that prove anything to you? Of course they knew it was offside, and of course they wanted the goal, name one team in this world cup that would have done any differently?

For the 3rd time.... The point of emphasis was that he outright stated the goal was a game changer... not whether or not he believed it to be legitimate... or that he wanted it.

Yeah, it will be historically marred in the minds of people like you. To anyone with a brain it will be just another game where a ref fucked up and the team on the receiving end couldn't manage to turn it around even though they definitely had chances.

It's marred because I'm baffled by FIFA's constant reluctance to 'change' the game for the better...

First Ireland
Then the US
Then England
Then Mexico

FIFA simply says, "OH well... we're sorry our refs screwed you over... now move along".

Don't let that distinction flyover your head...

I wouldn't say they deserved to lose. Mexico lost because it has glaring problems both on D and on finishing. You fix that and you're golden.

Yeah they did... they should have avoided Argentina like the plague (considering their head-to-head history)...

They should have beat Uruguay but weren't smart enough to do so....

TDMVPDPOY
06-29-2010, 09:08 PM
lol seth blatter, no one takes you serious

ElNono
06-29-2010, 10:22 PM
:lol The goalkeeper stopped Tevez's shot, and had to let go (by his own admission because he felt Tevez would look to dive and provoke the ref into calling a penalty)...
How is that crappy defense? The goalie stopped Tevez's potential shot and couldn't prevent the ball from ricochetting to Messi's foot...

If you don't know why your two center backs closed up on Messi and completely lost track of Tevez, and you don't think that's terrible defense, then I don't know what to tell you. What happened once Tevez was going all alone at the ball and Conejo is after the defensive fuckup. And really, that el Conejo thinks he should have let go of the ball is such a stupid excuse (not from you, but from El Conejo). That's exactly why guys like him should be far away from the Mexican national team.

I've lived in the US for 10+ years, and have seen my good share of the Mexican national team (wether I like it or not :lol), and BY FAR the most glaring problem is that all the players think they're way better than they are (this fed by some really sensationalist media) when the reality is that only 2 or so are 'complete' players (Rafa, Salcido). Players that are not just talented, but also have the mental fortitude and understand the professionalism you need in true great teams.

Hopefully some of the younger kids are going to top leagues, don't get inpatient, and learn from the experience so they can bring it to the NT and make that breakthrough.

urunobili
06-29-2010, 11:11 PM
They should have beat Uruguay but weren't smart enough to do so....

Not only they weren't smart enough; they don't have the team equipped to do so buddy... not even on paper neither on the field :wakeup

Phenomanul
06-30-2010, 12:28 AM
Not only they weren't smart enough; they don't have the team equipped to do so buddy... not even on paper neither on the field :wakeup

Don't overestimate your team... one that barely got by Costa Rica on a last second goal by el "Loco" Abreu to make it to the World Cup to begin with (by the minimum margin no less)...

Just be glad you're facing the weakest team in the Quarter-Finals and hope you make it to the semis (you have favorable odds)... you need not come in here and try to defame the Mexican NT any further in order to prop your own team...

Uruguay is on equal footing with Mexico... otherwise they would have dominated them and scored 3 or 4 goals against them... but that wasn't the case; Uruguay scored first and held on to the lead... nothing more, nothing less....

Truth be told you all would have matched up much better against Argentina, being their northern neighbors and all, and matching up better against their style...

FkLA
06-30-2010, 12:59 AM
This mothafucker is just trying to get re-elected...and right now the English, Mexicans, Irish, and even the Portuguese (am I the only one that thinks Villa was offsides?) are rightfully upset at this issue. If the election wasnt coming up he'd approach it the same way he always has, saying weak shit about how soccer needs to be kept traditional and played like it was played 100 years ago with no advanced technology. Same reason he gave the WC to the continent of Africa, he has their vote in his pocket already.

TDMVPDPOY
06-30-2010, 03:11 AM
http://www.theage.com.au/world-cup-2010/world-cup-news/blundering-referees-sent-home-20100630-zjx0.html

the italian ref + 3 others gettin sent home packing....

NuGGeTs-FaN
06-30-2010, 04:11 AM
That guy better steer clear of Australia for the next month, after that time everyone would have forgotten :lmao

Not only did he screw the Aussies with the red card but he is Italian and in soccer terms that means he is a flopping cheat :smokin

Blatter needs to jump on the blower to Gillard and apologise for screwing our country for the 2nd world cup in a row. Her response would probably go something like 'What the hell is soccer?'