PDA

View Full Version : Breakout year for George Hill??

FalleNxWiZarDx
06-29-2010, 11:29 AM
Thoughts?

clambake
06-29-2010, 11:30 AM
brake?

manufan10
06-29-2010, 11:32 AM
:depressed

So he's not going to get any better??

FalleNxWiZarDx
06-29-2010, 11:36 AM
brake?

fixed :p

spursfaninla
06-29-2010, 11:41 AM
last year he got votes for MIP. That WAS his breakout year.

This year we will see some steady but moderate improvement most likely.

There is too much firepower on our team for hill to get much more "breakout."

The only way I can think of that he could improve greatly would be if he jumped some levels as a defender.

spursbird
06-29-2010, 11:48 AM
If he is in Rockets he would have a breakout year. But in Spurs? You better hope he didn't lose confidence.

8FOR!3
06-29-2010, 12:01 PM
He needs to improve to position and become a better point guard. Needs to work on his lateral quickness, nothing one of their trainers couldn't fix

howardcopy
06-29-2010, 12:11 PM
should be the starting point guard. Trade parker

IceColdBrewski
06-29-2010, 12:20 PM

This.

spursfan1000
06-29-2010, 12:43 PM

I agree, its not even like Parker is a pass first point guard.

SenorSpur
06-29-2010, 12:49 PM
I know Hill is a SG, by nature. Last summer, he worked tirelessly on his jump shot and it paid off handsomely. He already knows how to score himself. That's no problem.

Now, he needs to take the next step. He could surely help himself and the team if he learned how to run the point. He needs to learn how to run an offense (especially the pick-n-roll), learn how to drive and kick, feed the post and setup other guys to score.

He could also stand to improve his ability to defend. He's not bad, but he's not the stopper that he originally appeared to be.

spursfaninla
06-29-2010, 02:47 PM
All you guys wishing for hill to become the point are dreaming; Hill is a combo guard at best. He will be a serviceable backup and a dangerous shooter for us. Hopefully he becomes more and more a defensive force as well. But a pass-first pg he never will be.

And stop the Parker hate.

PGs are born not made. You don't play the sg position and then become a starting pg in the nba. This does not happen.

Even if Hill learns the basic skills required to be a competent and regular player at the point, he will never be good. This is just not his strength.

Parker is shoot first, but he also has improved his assist numbers over his career.

Further, our offense has never been assist-friendly; it is usually the 2nd pass that creates points, or it came from kick-outs from the post.

Hill is good and should be an important part of our team. But trying to force him to be something he is not (a true pg) will make him a worse player, not better.

Obstructed_View
06-29-2010, 03:00 PM
If Hill has a breakout year compared to last year you're talking about him turning into an all-star. Is that what you're suggesting?

Crazymaddopeyo
06-29-2010, 03:09 PM
I think we'll see a huge upgrade on his defense.

SenorSpur
06-29-2010, 03:21 PM
All you guys wishing for hill to become the point are dreaming; Hill is a combo guard at best. He will be a serviceable backup and a dangerous shooter for us. Hopefully he becomes more and more a defensive force as well. But a pass-first pg he never will be.

And stop the Parker hate.

PGs are born not made. You don't play the sg position and then become a starting pg in the nba. This does not happen.

Even if Hill learns the basic skills required to be a competent and regular player at the point, he will never be good. This is just not his strength.

Parker is shoot first, but he also has improved his assist numbers over his career.

Further, our offense has never been assist-friendly; it is usually the 2nd pass that creates points, or it came from kick-outs from the post.

Hill is good and should be an important part of our team. But trying to force him to be something he is not (a true pg) will make him a worse player, not better.

All great points.

However, just because he's not a true PG, and I agree he probably will never be, doesn't excuse the fact that he needs to improve his ability to play that position. Hill is not going to exclusively limited to the SG position. Therefore, since he will be playing some point, in a pinch, he needs to up his PG playmaking quotient. In order for other players, particularly Anderson, to be successful, Hill must assume more playmaking duties. After all, Manu cannot continue to be depended upon for the bulk of the playmaking duties for this team.

If Hill can upgrade his offensive game, in the areas I mentioned, he wil become a more well-rounded player and the team, as a whole, will benefit.

angelbelow
06-29-2010, 03:27 PM
i think he'll improve - no doubt. but not a breakout type year. this past year was definitely his "breakout" year.

spursfaninla
06-29-2010, 04:50 PM
All great points.

However, just because he's not a true PG, and I agree he probably will never be, doesn't excuse the fact that he needs to improve his ability to play that position. Hill is not going to exclusively limited to the SG position. Therefore, since he will be playing some point, in a pinch, he needs to up his PG playmaking quotient. In order for other players, particularly Anderson, to be successful, Hill must assume more playmaking duties. After all, Manu cannot continue to be depended upon for the bulk of the playmaking duties for this team.

If Hill can upgrade his offensive game, in the areas I mentioned, he wil become a more well-rounded player and the team, as a whole, will benefit.

Agreed. I think it makes the spurs better if Hill can adequately be our backup pg.

and for the record, your comments were not included within the "parker haters" category mentioned above.

However, although I share your assumption that manu should not have to shoulder the ball-handling when parker is off the floor, I wonder if that is a mistake.

why can't Manu and Parker be our primary ball handlers? Manu might be the better of the two in that regard. When manu is on the floor, the pg would basically just bring the ball up the floor and let manu create. Manu is the half-court pg in that situation.

spursfaninla
06-29-2010, 05:31 PM
I think if Parker isnt going anywhere Hill might be trade bait. I think his numbers will go down if we add Tiago, RJ and TP in contract years so they are gonna wanna play well, Manu should be rested after taking the summer off finalllllyy, plus we just added a good player in the draft at the 2/3 spot.

Its gonna depend on how deep pop goes into the bench this year but I can see him slipping in scoring and mins.

backup pg?

Temple is great and all, but he is not a 2nd pg. He has to prove a LOT before we go there.

I see Hill's role diminishing IF anderson is as good as advertised and manu and parker are healthy all season and play well.

RJ and Parker will probably score more than last year, that would be great.

But Hill can still be very important as a backup 1-2 for defense and 3pt shooting.

I don't see enough depth at the 1 to trade hill.

And what would we trade him for? A defensive sf who can shoot 3's? That is our need, but hill seems worth more to me than that...

I must agree, though, that I think Hill is a specialty piece, and unless he adapts to the pg position, has limited usefulness as a combo guard.

AND, all this is true even if Manu is the primary ball handler when parker is resting. We still need a guy on the floor who can guard the pg's.

BackHome
06-29-2010, 06:18 PM
I agree I think Hill is great for insurance at the 1 and 2 spot but to be honest I think he is a tweener who will be a good sixth man. If all the reports are true them Anderson is going to be the man at the SG position so Hill will have his time split between playing the 1 and 2.

I wouldn't trade him for the fact that I don't think we will be able to re sign Parker and I don't know if we could get a decent PG in what ever trade goes down.

In fact I think we need to upgrade our D league pg I think we could sign someone better then Jerrells to our team..Matt Bouldin or Mikhail Torrance (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Mikhail-Torrance-5846/) would be nice upgrade.

Spurs Brazil
06-29-2010, 06:43 PM
I hope his D gets better, that should be his number 1 goal

sananspursfan21
06-29-2010, 06:48 PM
If Hill has a breakout year compared to last year you're talking about him turning into an all-star. Is that what you're suggesting?

kinda what i was thinking. i don't think there's any room on this team for him to get much better. he's an awesome option though if tp gets hurt. remember the vaughan days?

SenorSpur
06-29-2010, 06:59 PM
Unless Anderson comes in, impresses and earns a starting spot at the 2, he'll likely be the first SG off the bench. From there, I will assume that Pop will use Parker and Manu as starters. This means, Anderson will likely spend a lot of time on the court with Hill. We also saw how Blair's offense suffered when he wasn't paired up with a playmaker, like Manu.

With Anderson on the roster, Hill's minutes at the 2 spot will likely decrease. All of this emphasizes how important it is that Hill become a more effective playmaker so that Anderson, and others, aren't standing around watching him.

FkLA
06-29-2010, 07:32 PM
No.

Hill isnt a PG. He's a midget SG. He averaged 0.001 apg in the playoffs. His defense is overrated, easily the most overrated defender in the NBA. He's not a pass-first PG. Parker is a Finals MVP and three-time all-star he should start not Hill. Hill's ceiling for next yr and his career is being a strong candidate for sixth-man of the year.

spursfaninla
06-29-2010, 07:55 PM
Unless Anderson comes in, impresses and earns a starting spot at the 2, he'll likely be the first SG off the bench. From there, I will assume that Pop will use Parker and Manu as starters. This means, Anderson will likely spend a lot of time on the court with Hill. We also saw how Blair's offense suffered when he wasn't paired up with a playmaker, like Manu.

With Anderson on the roster, Hill's minutes at the 2 spot will likely decrease. All of this emphasizes how important it is that Hill become a more effective playmaker so that Anderson, and others, aren't standing around watching him.

So, best case scenario is that hill improves his playmaking, allowing him to play with the second unit of blair and anderson.

If Hill does not accomplish that transition, and manu is called upon to handle the ball whenever parker is not in (again), then what?

How does that effect Hill's actual utility for the team? Well, he is still useful for guarding the opposing pg, and he is still a very good 3pt shooter.

But, that means that anderson is probably starting. that could be fine.

Or, anderson could pick up minutes with the second unit at the 3.

I guess I am turning over in my head what happens if Hill is what he is as far as pg skills go, and then wonder if his utility to the team changes depending on the role of Anderson as it develops over the year.

I don't think it becomes a big issue this year in any event; pop is unlikely to use Anderson SO much that hill gets less than 20mpg no matter what.

TDMVPDPOY
06-29-2010, 08:00 PM
expecting alot of improvements from his game

spursfaninla
06-29-2010, 08:47 PM
I think they will trade Parker, no way they resign him and keep Hill long term. But if they deal Hill I think it would be for one of this years rookies or a guy picked last year. Dont think the spurs want an older asset back.

I wouldnt be shocked to see Hill in Indy, Portland, Miami or Tor.

If they trade parker, we have no starter-quality pg.

And trading hill for a rookie is unlikely to result in a player than can contribute this year enough to make up for hill's absence.

These suggestions only make sense if the spurs have given up already. And if that were the case, then they would not have extended manu.

I think the Spurs either extend parker, or they let his contract expire. Trading parker makes no sense. They will not get back a pg that is as good, and the only other starting position that we need would be an improvement at sf, which then would be redundant until we get rid of RJ.

Does not make sense.

galvatron3000
06-29-2010, 10:21 PM
Run the Point and play lock down defense and he'll have a breakout year, that is if he doesn't decline in the areas he improved this pat season

rascal
06-30-2010, 11:19 AM

Should be the starting 2 guard, trade Manu. Hill can breakout and be a star if given the chance.

Hill and Anderson can cover the sg spot. Manu could be moved for a quality center. Splitter, new center, Duncan and McDyess- (with less minutes than last year) on the frontline.

Obstructed_View
07-01-2010, 07:01 AM
Should be the starting 2 guard, trade Manu. Hill can breakout and be a star if given the chance.

Hill and Anderson can cover the sg spot. Manu could be moved for a quality center. Splitter, new center, Duncan and McDyess- (with less minutes than last year) on the frontline.

Blair's going to be more useful to the team than Splitter. Bigs don't just walk in and know the system, particularly ones with zero NBA experience. I hope he does, but history's not with him.