PDA

View Full Version : Knicks make Joe Johnson, not LeBron, the primary target

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-29-2010, 02:47 PM
Source: Knicks eye Johnson, not James
Effect on team chemistry could be a consideration
By Adam Zagoria / SNY.tv

The Knicks are targeting Joe Johnson as their No. 1 free agent choice and believe he's a better fit for the team than LeBron James, according to an NBA source with knowledge of the team's plans.

"Yes, we think he's a better player," the source said of Johnson. "He makes other people better. With LeBron's people running the locker room that hurts the organization."

The source also mentioned concerns about James' entourage taking over the franchise.

"I don't care what most people think," the source said. "I'm not saying that LeBron is not a good player, but other stuff comes with it. LeBron's friends want jobs. You're gonna lose running your organization. As time goes on you got to hire this guy, you got to hire that guy."

Led by president Donnie Walsh and head coach Mike D'Antoni, the Knicks are scheduled to meet with Johnson on Wednesday night in Los Angeles. Free agents cannot officially meet with teams until midnight ET on Thursday, or 9 p.m. on the West Coast.

Johnson played for D'Antoni in 2004 and '05 with the Suns. He was then shipped to Atlanta for Boris Diaw and two first-round picks.

He averaged 21.3 points, 4.9 assists and 4.6 rebounds last season in Atlanta.

The Hawks can offer him a six-year deal worth $125 million, and the Knicks can offer five years and $96 million.

After meeting with Johnson, the Knicks will meet with Amar'e Stoudemire in Los Angeles on Wednesday before going to meet with James in the Akron, Ohio, area.

The source said the team's No. 1 option would be to land Johnson and Stoudemire.

"Yeah, we'll have room next year to get somebody next year," the source said, referring to the 2011 free agency class that includes Carmelo Anthony.

Asked who would play point guard with the Knicks next season, the source said Toney Douglas would. He also said the Knicks could pursue Steve Blake.

This comes amid an ESPN.com report that James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh met last weekend in Miami to "seriously discuss their futures."

The report quoted a source that labeled Miami "as the frontrunner to land James in a package deal with Bosh," and to re-sign Wade.

http://web.sny.tv/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100629&content_id=11717746&oid=36320&vkey=18

clambake
06-29-2010, 02:50 PM
wtf

ducks
06-29-2010, 02:51 PM
The source said the team's No. 1 option would be to land Johnson and Stoudemire.

MavDynasty
LMAO knicks

Mr.Bottomtooth
Scratch them off, I guess.

DPG21920
06-29-2010, 02:52 PM
Lol. This sounds like someone trying to sabotage the knicks.

DisAsTerBot
06-29-2010, 02:52 PM
ssol 2?

pauls931
06-29-2010, 02:54 PM
Dantoni should just move back to Italy. JJ had ONE great playoff series. Pairing him with Amare might net some wins, but anything short of LBJ there is a failure.

Goran Dragic
06-29-2010, 02:58 PM
This is basically saying "Lebron has no interest in us, so rather than look like douche bags who got rejected, we'll play it off that we chose not to pursue Lebron."

If NY can get Amare and JJ to take slightly less than the max then it sets things up well for them to pursue 'melo, but they better not put too much stock in him opting for free agency without a new CBA. If they do manage to get Amare, JJ and Melo and Miami got Lebron Bosh and Wade, imagine how epic that series would be.

MiamiHeat
06-29-2010, 03:09 PM
This is basically saying "Lebron has no interest in us, so rather than look like douche bags who got rejected, we'll play it off that we chose not to pursue Lebron."

pretty much this

JamStone
06-29-2010, 03:11 PM
Clearly they realize they're out of the LeBron running. But this is something pretty interesting they said, regardless of how accurate it is.

The source also mentioned concerns about James' entourage taking over the franchise.

"I don't care what most people think," the source said. "I'm not saying that LeBron is not a good player, but other stuff comes with it. LeBron's friends want jobs. You're gonna lose running your organization. As time goes on you got to hire this guy, you got to hire that guy."

ducks
06-29-2010, 03:13 PM
cavs have no shot at resigning him
the owner told the media that he will decide who coaches the team NOT james

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-29-2010, 03:47 PM
Goran nailed it. Classic case of, "Bitch didn't dump me. I left her ass first."

Mel_13
06-29-2010, 04:00 PM
The Knicks are targeting Joe Johnson as their No. 1 free agent choice and believe he's a better fit for the team than LeBron James, according to an NBA source with knowledge of the team's plans.

"Yes, we think he's a better player," the source said of Johnson. "He makes other people better. With LeBron's people running the locker room that hurts the organization."

When I got to that part, I scrolled down to check if this was article from The Onion.

lol Knicks

Shank
06-29-2010, 04:03 PM
What motherfucker DOESN'T have a "source" these past few weeks?

MavDynasty
06-29-2010, 04:05 PM
What motherfucker DOESN'T have a "source" these past few weeks?

this

baseline bum
06-29-2010, 04:45 PM
So they're re-making the 2005 Suns, minus the best player and plus 5 years of age and a microfracture surgery? CROFL New York. :rollin

Mel_13
06-29-2010, 08:26 PM
Sources claim the Knicks are favorites to sign Bucks free agent PG Luke Ridnour.

http://twitter.com/fisolanydn

JJ, A'mare and a white PG.

Brazil
06-29-2010, 08:34 PM
The Hawks can offer him a six-year deal worth $125 million, and the Knicks can offer five years and $96 million.

difficult choice

DMX7
06-29-2010, 08:36 PM
Luke Ridnour is worthless.

Kevin Durant 35
06-29-2010, 10:28 PM
Sources claim the Knicks are favorites to sign Bucks free agent PG Luke Ridnour.

http://twitter.com/fisolanydn

JJ, A'mare and a white PG.

lol NY Suns

TDMVPDPOY
06-29-2010, 10:35 PM
this is stupid

JJ is not max contract material...

jag
06-29-2010, 10:44 PM
If the knicks land JJ and Amare, they'll go after Tony Parker and Melo next summer.

TDMVPDPOY
06-29-2010, 11:27 PM
If the knicks land JJ and Amare, they'll go after Tony Parker and Melo next summer.

not unless melo signs his extention

and what is knicks salary cap like if they sign these 2 douchebags then summer of 2011 do they have enough to sign tony or melo?