PDA

View Full Version : Yao says he'll stay with Rockets

Kai
06-29-2010, 04:13 PM
Yao says he'll stay with Rockets

HOUSTON -- Yao Ming is returning to the Houston Rockets -- a giant selling point for general manager Daryl Morey as he begins courting big-name free agents this week.

The 7-foot-6 All-Star center said Tuesday that he has picked up his player option for next season, the last year of his five-year contract. Yao sat out last season following reconstructive foot surgery and said he wanted to see how the injury healed before making his decision.

Yao said he's resumed basketball activities and should be 100 percent when training camp begins.

"To miss one year is a long time," Yao said. "I've never been in this situation before, and I'm getting as much information as I can about my foot, to see what's the best for me and best for the Rockets. I decided a couple of days ago, and there's no one better than the Rockets now."

If he had turned down the player option, Yao would've become an unrestricted free agent on Thursday. He is due to make $17.7 million next season, but wouldn't reveal how close he came to joining the star-studded class of free agents who will hit the market this week.

"Not considering it anymore," he said. "That's most important."

Yao and Morey would not say if the two sides are working on an extension beyond next season. The Rockets selected Yao with the No. 1 overall pick in the 2002 draft, and signed him to a five-year extension in September 2005.

"He's the centerpiece of the Rockets, the foundation of our franchise," Morey said. "We're looking forward to great things from him next season."

Morey said Yao will play an "active" role in helping the Rockets land a top free agent. While the Rockets don't have enough salary cap space to offer a maximum contract to guys like LeBron James, Chris Bosh or Dwyane Wade, Morey thinks Yao's commitment will sway free agents on the team's championship potential in 2010-11.

"Obviously, Yao Ming is an unbelievable piece to have on our roster," Morey said. "We feel like we're a great destination. We don't really feel like the underdog. Any free agent, when they take the time to look through their options -- they all will -- they are going to see us as a very interesting option. Obviously, a great roster that's ready to win."

With Yao back, the Rockets also offer a unique marketing opportunity for any free agent to consider. Regular-season games draw enormous television ratings in China and several of Yao's teammates have landed lucrative endorsement deals with Chinese companies.

"If free agents want to be a global presence," Morey said, "we have more people tuning in to our regular-season games than the Super Bowl."

Morey wants Yao to talk to potential additions, and Yao already has talking points in mind for his recruiting pitch.

"We have a very good team here, we have very good fans and a very good coaching staff. Why not come here?" he said. "I would love to play with any of those guys out there. Hopefully, they come here all together."

The Rockets have already come up with a creative way to lure them, sending a caravan of fans on the road to rendezvous with Morey at his initial meeting with a top free agent. The plan is for the caravan to deliver Morey to the meeting with "presentation materials" for the free agent to peruse. Morey wouldn't specify what the materials included.

"It's top secret," Morey said. "We don't want to give up what he's going to unwrap on Christmas morning."

Morey said he's not discouraged by reports that the most coveted free agents of this year's class have already decided where they're headed. Free agents can't sign contracts until July 8.

"Until July 8, no one can make up their minds 100 percent, no one can sign their name to the dotted line," Morey said. "So there's an opening there. My sense from the chatter is that no one has really made up their minds. But the only people who really know that are the free agents.

"All we can do is put our best foot forward and make the free agent understand why Houston is a great destination, and hopefully, it works out."

Once free agency begins, the Rockets will also have to decide whether to re-sign restricted free agents Luis Scola and Kyle Lowry. Houston also holds the option on re-signing forward Chuck Hayes.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5339517

BadOdor
06-29-2010, 04:19 PM
sucks for the rockets.

Xevious
06-29-2010, 04:25 PM
sucks for the rockets.
This. Unless they bench him for the first 30-40 games, his body is not going to last through the post-season. He just isn't build for an 82-game season.

Indazone
06-29-2010, 04:25 PM
Not a suprise, everyone knew he was going to do this plus who else is going to pay 17 million for a guy with an unproven potentially career ending injury? Yao has this year to prove himself again. It's a contract year.

Goran Dragic
06-29-2010, 04:31 PM
It's a contract year.

Does that mean Yao will actually pretend to care about playing for the team that pays him?

HarlemHeat37
06-29-2010, 04:32 PM
Just play him 25mpg and no back-to-backs, that will probably be good enough to keep him good for the playoffs..Houston's team is good enough to make the playoffs anyways..

djohn2oo8
06-29-2010, 04:40 PM
sucks for the rockets.

Not really, it would have sucked had he opted out and signed an extension. Now he is an expiring, and he has to prove that he can stay healthy for ONE season, if not, then cut the strings Les, he has milked all the money that he could out of him

sook
06-29-2010, 04:41 PM
sucks for the rockets.

Fabbs
06-29-2010, 05:17 PM
Not a suprise, everyone knew he was going to do this plus who else is going to pay 17 million for a guy with an unproven potentially career ending injury? Yao has this year to prove himself again. It's a contract year.
Teams whom a good center would put them over the top.
More useful to Spurs, Dick Jefferson at 15 or Yao at 17?

Yes, i know Houston is not idiotic enough to give Dick J 15. Just sayin.

Greg Pop, he's won 4 titles you know.

Indazone
06-29-2010, 05:27 PM
Yao will not be playing over 40 min a game like Rick Adleman had him do. Funny thing is, when Van Gundy had Yao he never played him that many minutes. Stress fracture is on Adleman. The first injuries that Yao had were not overuse injuries.

In any event, see what Les Alexander had to say about Yao.

Alexander spoke about the Rockets' plans and prospects with Yao back, even saying there would be benefits next post-season to limiting Yao's playing time in the regular season.

Told he sounded confident that Yao will be back with the Rockets, Alexander said after a ceremony in which the Rockets and Toyota Center received an award for environmental awareness. "Very confident."

"I just saw him practicing," Alexander added. "He looks great. He lost a lot of weight. He's practicing hard. He is able to do what he wants to do. He looks like he's in great health, which is the best you can ask for.

"I think Yao looks great."

[email protected]

Muser
06-29-2010, 05:29 PM
Not really, it would have sucked had he opted out and signed an extension. Now he is an expiring, and he has to prove that he can stay healthy for ONE season, if not, then cut the strings Les, he has milked all the money that he could out of him

I'm sure he made a shit ton out of Yao too.

Goran Dragic
06-29-2010, 05:29 PM
Yao will not be playing over 40 min a game like Rick Adleman had him do. Funny thing is, when Van Gundy had Yao he never played him that many minutes. Stress fracture is on Adleman. The first injuries that Yao had were not overuse injuries.

In any event, see what Les Alexander had to say about Yao.

Alexander spoke about the Rockets' plans and prospects with Yao back, even saying there would be benefits next post-season to limiting Yao's playing time in the regular season.

Told he sounded confident that Yao will be back with the Rockets, Alexander said after a ceremony in which the Rockets and Toyota Center received an award for environmental awareness. "Very confident."

"I just saw him practicing," Alexander added. "He looks great. He lost a lot of weight. He's practicing hard. He is able to do what he wants to do. He looks like he's in great health, which is the best you can ask for.

"I think Yao looks great."

[email protected]

The stress fractures were on Yao for being a self centered prick who played summer ball for his country.

Koolaid_Man
06-29-2010, 05:30 PM
who gives a shit..that Lo Mein eating fucker is toast...Not happening in Houston.

Indazone
06-29-2010, 05:34 PM
The stress fractures were on Yao for being a self centered prick who played summer ball for his country.

You mean the same way Kobe, Dwight Howard, Bosh, Lebron, Melo, Kidd, Paul, Prince, Redd, Wade, and Williams did?

Goran Dragic
06-29-2010, 05:36 PM
You mean the same way Kobe, Dwight Howard, Bosh, Lebron, Melo, Kidd, Paul, Prince, Redd, Wade, and Williams did?

All of those guys managed to do it and stay healthy enough to play for the teams that pay them. This season Tony Parker fucked himself with international summer ball and Spurs fans were livid with him, yet Rocketfan blindly defends Yao Ming's egocentric attitude.

TDMVPDPOY
his not stupid man

if he didnt take the option his still worth the max contract if ur willing to sign him, cause the chinese market comes with him...

IronMexican
Rucks for the sockets

bdictjames
06-29-2010, 06:34 PM
People fail to see that if Yao didn't play for his national team, then he's basically not Chinese anymore.

Country goes first in China.

MmP
06-29-2010, 06:47 PM
Is Scola your starting PF?
Man, Scola is a stud humble smartest PF in the league I regret everyday he's not with us.

The Franchise
06-29-2010, 06:54 PM

I somewhat agree with this, but I also understand why he had to do it. I think Yao will be fine this year if they just get him a decent backup to limit his minutes in the regular season (which Morey said he is going to do). Having him healthy for the playoffs should be the teams main concern. Even if he doesn't stay healthy he'll be coming off the books next summer, so one way or another things will work themselves out.

Goran Dragic
06-29-2010, 07:37 PM
People fail to see that if Yao didn't play for his national team, then he's basically not Chinese anymore.

Country goes first in China.

Boo hoo. China isn't paying him an 8 figure salary. He has an obligation to the party that's paying him, not the party that's asking he play basketball for free.

sook
06-30-2010, 01:56 PM
Is Scola your starting PF?
Man, Scola is a stud humble smartest PF in the league I regret everyday he's not with us.