PDA

View Full Version : Mavs have mild interest in Al Jefferson

Shank
06-29-2010, 04:27 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba/news/story?id=5340850

The Dallas Mavericks' search for help to support star forward Dirk Nowitzki included inquiries about Minnesota Timberwolves center Al Jefferson prior to last week's NBA draft, according to sources close to the situation.

Sources with knowledge of the Mavericks' thinking, however, told ESPNDallas.com that Jefferson is a "down the list" target for the team who is unlikely to be pursued further until after Dallas makes a series of sign-and-trade bids for top free agents.

Two sources said the initial round of Mavs-Wolves discussions never got beyond the preliminary stage. Minnesota still wants more than mere salary relief for Jefferson, and Dallas is not willing to part with any of its prime trade assets -- such as Erick Dampier's $13 million non-guaranteed contract -- to acquire a player with proven low-post scoring skills but a troubled injury history.

Sources with knowledge of Minnesota's thinking told ESPN.com's Marc Stein that the Wolves are determined to move Jefferson before the start of next season, seeing Kevin Love as a better (and more cost effective) fit. The prospect of pairing Jefferson and Nowitzki, though, would create some of the same issues that the Timberwolves face defensively when Jefferson and Love play together.

Jefferson has three years and $42 million left on his contract and has averaged 19.1 points and 10.5 boards over the past four seasons.

Jefferson is just one of a number of potential targets Dallas looked at in a broad attempt before the draft to improve a roster that couldn't prevent a first-round loss to San Antonio. Conversations with various teams -- which included turning down Chicago's offer of Luol Deng for Dampier's contract, as reported by ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard -- ultimately resulted in the Mavericks making only one significant draft-day move, when they sent $3 million to Memphis for the No. 25 pick and the right to draft University of South Florida guard Dominique Jones.

As for now, the Mavs' sights are on Wednesday night's 11:01 p.m. start of the free-agent bonanza. With several key assets in hand, starting with Dampier's massive contract and Caron Butler's expiring contract, Dallas is prepared to take a swing at the top-tier free agents through sign-and-trades, its lone avenue to acquire a big-money free agent.

The Mavs' first priority is to quickly secure a verbal commitment from Nowitzki, who officially opted out of the final year of his contract on Tuesday and is set to become an unrestricted free agent for the first time in his career.

Dallas then hopes to use Nowitzki to sell LeBron James or Dwyane Wade or Chris Bosh on the Mavs, although Dallas is relegated to dark-horse status with all three. The Mavs also have targeted Atlanta shooting guard Joe Johnson, among others.

The Mavs also need low-post help. Eduardo Najera is the only power forward on the roster behind Nowitzki and the Mavs could lose Dampier and center Brendan Haywood, who will be seeking a considerable raise from last-season's $6 million salary as an unrestricted free agent. The 6-foot-10, 265-pound Jefferson, 25, was recently considered the cornerstone of the Minnesota franchise. Drafted 15th overall by the Boston Celtics in 2004, Jefferson was the centerpiece in the deal that sent Kevin Garnett to the Celtics. The Timberwolves signed Jefferson to a five-year, $65 million extension in 2007.

While Jefferson and Nowitzki might not be the most desirable pairing to defend the rim, Jefferson would give Nowitzki the low-post scoring complement he's lacked throughout his career, as well as reduce the rebounding burden on Nowitzki, who celebrated his 32nd birthday this month.

Minnesota is willing to part with Jefferson because he and Love are similar, below-the-rim post players who haven't shared the floor well. Jefferson's name has been attached to plenty of trade speculation and will continue to be as the offseason moves forward.

"There will be a lot of interest in Al," one source insisted.

Jeff Caplan covers the Mavericks for ESPNDallas.com. ESPN.com senior writer Marc Stein contributed to this report.

monosylab1k
06-29-2010, 04:30 PM
This guy sucks. I'd rather have the 6/6 production of Erick Dampier.

monosylab1k
06-29-2010, 04:30 PM
Actually let's just blow up the Mavericks so that we can get a superstar in the draft and then win 3-4 titles in 5 years.

monosylab1k
06-29-2010, 04:34 PM
Dirk is ass. Just get rid of him and get somebody else to be the franchise player. Those guys grow on trees.

Indazone
06-29-2010, 04:46 PM
I wouldn't mind Al Jefferson on the Rockets if the other guys teach him how to play defense.

mindcrime
06-29-2010, 04:49 PM
I wouldn't mind Al Jefferson on the Rockets if the other guys teach him how to play defense.

Not sure if you can teach effort.

Indazone
06-29-2010, 04:50 PM
That's true...see T-Mac

mavs>spurs2
06-29-2010, 04:51 PM
Actually let's just blow up the Mavericks so that we can get a superstar in the draft and then win 3-4 titles in 5 years.

this new "its awesome being a mediocre playoff team!" shtick is your lamest one yet

:crofl

Goran Dragic
06-29-2010, 04:53 PM
That's true...see T-Mac

or Yao

Kyle Orton
06-29-2010, 04:55 PM
or Amare

IronMexican
06-29-2010, 04:56 PM
or Amare

I laugh at anyone that nutrides this guy.

monosylab1k
06-29-2010, 04:59 PM
this new "its awesome being a mediocre playoff team!" shtick is your lamest one yet

:crofl

this ignorant ass "it sucks seeing my team win 50+ every year and make the playoffs, i'm so fucking miserable i don't even like watching them anymore :cry :cry :cry" emo bullshit is even more lame.

try watching your team lick balls for an entire decade, then see how bad it sucks to be a 50+ win "mediocre" team.

Goran Dragic
06-29-2010, 05:01 PM
or Amare

or Jevan Snead

badfish22
06-29-2010, 05:06 PM
mono with the goods

Kyle Orton
06-29-2010, 05:08 PM
or Jevan Snead
lol butthurt

lol college forum

lol white guy racist towards whites

mavs>spurs2
06-29-2010, 05:10 PM
try watching your team lick balls for an entire decade, then see how bad it sucks to be a 50+ win "mediocre" team.

i'm watching them lick balls now

Goran Dragic
06-29-2010, 05:11 PM
lol butthurt

lol college forum

lol white guy racist towards whites

lol butthurt about my bias against honky NBA players

monosylab1k
06-29-2010, 05:11 PM
i'm watching them lick balls now

:lmao

the young and the entitled

mavs>spurs2
06-29-2010, 05:13 PM
:lmao

the young and the entitled

brah i watched the mavs before dirk, you just have a distorted/warped sense of reality when it comes to the mavs or basketball in general really from being a mav fan for so long. thankfully i played basketball at a high level at a point in my life therefore i don't have that sorry loser's mentality of yours.

Goran Dragic
06-29-2010, 05:21 PM
I laugh at anyone that nutrides this guy.

Not as much as I laugh at someone who scoffs Amare and then knob slobs Chris Bosh.

sribb43
06-29-2010, 05:26 PM
Cant we just get Antonie Walker to play center for us again, it would be alot cheaper and our defense would be just as bad

IronMexican
06-29-2010, 05:32 PM
Not as much as I laugh at someone who scoffs Amare and then knob slobs Chris Bosh.

>implying I do that

Goran Dragic
06-29-2010, 05:34 PM
>implying I do that

You scoff at Amare getting a max contract and then say Chris Bosh is worth a max contract, when Bosh provides nothing Amare doesn't.

tdunk21
06-29-2010, 05:35 PM
mavs have interest in every big name free agent no one is ready to take their shit in a sign and trade lol....they dont even know if their star player will sign with them.....

IronMexican
06-29-2010, 05:37 PM
I still think Bosh cares more than amare.

Goran Dragic
06-29-2010, 05:38 PM
I still think Bosh cares more than amare.

:lmao based on what?

IronMexican
06-29-2010, 05:39 PM
Based on nothing. I just don't think amare cares. Bosh wins by default.

Goran Dragic
06-29-2010, 05:40 PM
Based on nothing. I just don't think amare cares. Bosh wins by default.

OK, so you think Bosh is better and have no real logic behind it, just checking :tu

IronMexican
06-29-2010, 05:41 PM
I said cares. neither is a #1.

I'd take Bynum over both :lol

But I'm a Bynum homer and not ashamed to admit it.

Goran Dragic
06-29-2010, 05:41 PM
Bosh was pretty smart to not make the playoffs this year. If his shitty defense and passive attitude got the national exposure Amare's did he'd be getting the criticism Amare gets. Since he plays on a shitty team that never gets air time no one knows he's a soft jump shooting puss who's defense is even worse than Amare's.

Goran Dragic
06-29-2010, 05:43 PM
I said cares. neither is a #1.

I'd take Bynum over both :lol

But I'm a Bynum homer and not ashamed to admit it.

OK, I'll rephrase:

You would pay Bosh more than Amare for a reason you have no logical way of supporting :tu

IronMexican
06-29-2010, 05:46 PM
I'd pay neither. But I think Bosh would be a little more okay with playing as option B. And Amare would want to be the(undeserved) #1 no matter what. And he can say that he put up X points and Y rebounds for an entire season, but his teammates didn't contribute.

So I'd probably pay Bosh more.

IronMexican
06-29-2010, 05:46 PM
I'd pay neither. But I think Bosh would be a little more okay with playing as option B. And Amare would want to be the(undeserved) #1 no matter what. And he can say that he put up X points and Y rebounds for an entire season, but his teammates didn't contribute.

Goran Dragic
06-29-2010, 05:50 PM

You're basing Amare wanting to be the #1 on what? Amare has expressed interest playing with Wade, while Bosh has actually said multiple times he wants to be the #1 wherever he goes. Amare is actually the one who has proven an ability to co-exist with good teammates, Bosh is the stat whore on a shitty team.

sefant77
06-29-2010, 05:52 PM
I could live with Al if we resign Haywood to 32/4.

Dirk/Jefferson
Jefferson/Haywood

dallaskd
06-29-2010, 05:59 PM
I could live with Al if we resign Haywood to 32/4.

Dirk/Jefferson
Jefferson/Haywood

Haywood might not be down with backup. Had the same problem in Washington cause Eddie Jordans love with Etan Thomas

dbestpro
06-29-2010, 07:48 PM
The Mavs do not need new players they need a new attitude and it starts with Cuban. He needs to quit enabling players to make excuses. Hold everyone accountable and this team becomes a contender.

Findog
06-29-2010, 08:38 PM
The Mavs do not need new players they need a new attitude and it starts with Cuban. He needs to quit enabling players to make excuses. Hold everyone accountable and this team becomes a contender.

You know what, there's a LOT of truth in this. Still, a big problem is too many players that only play on one side of the court or the other.