PDA

View Full Version : Richard Jefferson back for 2010-11

Bruno
06-29-2010, 10:42 AM
Jefferson has decided not to use his early termination clause. He is under contract with Spurs for 2010-2011.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=FreeAgents-10-11

alamo50
06-29-2010, 05:20 PM
Jefferson has decided not to use his early termination clause. He is under contract with Spurs for 2010-2011.

This is the season all will come together.

:lobt2:

magui86770
06-29-2010, 05:23 PM
Yes! (extreme sarcasm)

Muser
Good News

timvp
I moved this into its own thread. I heard a rumor that RJ was thinking about opting out to sign a 4-year, $35-40 million deal with the Nets ... but obviously that didn't pan out.

Welcome back, RJ :shootme

SpurCharger
Good Now he is Trade Bait!!

tmtcsc

Wha..wha...what ??? He decided to take the money instead of his chances on the open market ? SHOCKING. :lmao

He and TP have a lot to play for besides rings this year. Maybe their own selfish reasons will get the Spurs further this year.

Mel_13
06-29-2010, 05:24 PM
It was just one year ago that the addition of Jefferson to the roster was cause for great celebration around here.

tp2021
06-29-2010, 05:25 PM
It was just one year ago that the addition of Jefferson to the roster was cause for great celebration around here.

And then he gave us no reason to keep celebrating.

tdunk21
06-29-2010, 05:27 PM
RJ better play good next season...or else ur ass will get traded to a shit hole come trade deadline.....

Quiet Strength
06-29-2010, 05:30 PM
Boo.. He'd better have an amazing season but I will keep my expectations for him low.

Seventyniner
06-29-2010, 05:30 PM
http://www.streetrat.net/iago/pics/iagopic17.jpg
I'm gonna have a heart attack and die...from NOT SURPRISED!
</Gilbert Gottfried>

EJFischer
06-29-2010, 05:31 PM

No, It caused celebration, but it never was cause for celebration. He was already washed up before he got here.

Mel_13
06-29-2010, 05:34 PM
Last season he was the piece that would make the Spurs contenders. Saying he didn't meet expectations would be an understatement.

This year we're just hoping that he doesn't suck quite as hard as last season. I'd say there's a good chance he exceeds expectations this year.

spursfaninla
06-29-2010, 05:36 PM
RJ will contribute more this year, I have NO doubt.

Not expecting superstar, but hopefully better defense, 3pt shooting, and rebounding.

We have plenty of scoring, we dont' need more than 12-14 pts from him; pretty close to what he gave us anyway.

galvatron3000
06-29-2010, 05:38 PM
Sad part is we had a stripped down playbook so are we going back to the FULL playbook or the stripped down version cause if we go FULL we may actually see the same RJ this season as well and it could hurt the young guys later on unless we get a new coach and a new system in place. Can we trade RJ of George Paul/ Paul George (aww, I got confused) ?

Mel_13
06-29-2010, 05:43 PM
Thats part one of the master plan. Part 2 is Dennis Lindsay getting the Suns GM job and part 3 is RJ being traded with a future first rounder for Amare and Dudley.

I think we need a better master plan.

Dex
06-29-2010, 05:44 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v716/RCarey/awk.gif

Galileo
06-29-2010, 05:44 PM
Jefferson will improve, this is good news. Learning Pop's system is not easy.

EJFischer
06-29-2010, 05:56 PM
This seems a good time to bring up again something that I pointed (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3596831&postcount=49) out (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3596923&postcount=61) when we first got Jefferson: He has been a below-average player with respect to everything except scoring since 07-08. And his scoring is inefficient, so it's not a plus either. Jefferson's decline is easily observable in the numbers, and has been obvious for over two years now. Expecting him to suddenly get better again is a sucker's bet.

Mel_13
06-29-2010, 06:00 PM
fixed.

:lol

Cane
06-29-2010, 06:02 PM
Good, probably wouldn't have gotten worthwhile talent if he opted out.

He should be better next year since he knows his role now and its a contract year.

Hopefully the Spurs help Richard Jefferson out also. RJ can play the transition game and if the Spurs can get back to offense created from defense then he can have a better season.

This seems a good time to bring up again something that I pointed (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3596831&postcount=49) out (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3596923&postcount=61) when we first got Jefferson: He has been a below-average player with respect to everything except scoring since 07-08. And his scoring is inefficient, so it's not a plus either. Jefferson's decline is easily observable in the numbers, and has been obvious for over two years now. Expecting him to suddenly get better again is a sucker's bet.

He's a 50% shooter and doesn't really get a lot of attempts in the Spurs system so his scoring isn't that bad. Needs to maintain focus especially on the defensive end though.

I think its a good bet for a player to get better in their contract year thats also a second year in a system-dependent ballclub.

DPG21920
06-29-2010, 06:02 PM
I don't know anyone who believed RJ would actually opt out. Having said that, it is not the worst thing, because at least the Spurs have the option of trading him now.

DesignatedT
06-29-2010, 06:03 PM
Good.

E-RockWill
06-29-2010, 06:08 PM
Richard Jefferson needs to earn the respect of Tim Duncan, which I believe he currently does not have.

DPG21920
06-29-2010, 06:10 PM
No one respects or trusts RJ on this team. It was evident on the court. I don't care what the Spurs get for him, but I hope they move him. I have nothing against RJ, I think he tried pretty hard and was a decent guy, but I don't know if the Spurs players will ever warm up to him.

I guess I can see some kind of dramatic turn around in theory, but I don't think that is realistic.

Creation88
06-29-2010, 06:11 PM
fuck

DPG21920
06-29-2010, 06:18 PM
Why the hell would NJ want RJ?

easy7
06-29-2010, 06:21 PM
I knew that would happen. He is not worth what he is getting.

lurker23
06-29-2010, 06:29 PM
RJ staying put is good news. A few reasons:

1.) If he left, Spurs still wouldn't be under the salary cap; basically, losing a player without any way to replace him.

2.) Despite the fact that he didn't fit well, RJ is still more talented than 80% of the free agents on the market, and most of the remaining 20% would be out of the Spurs price range, even if they had the full MLE to play with (for the sake of Splitter, let's hope that they don't).

3.) On the optimistic end, players tend to fit better their 2nd year with the Spurs.

4.) On the less optimistic end fit-wise, at least he's a large expiring contract for the Spurs to play with.

Brazil
06-29-2010, 06:31 PM
RJ staying put is good news. A few reasons:

1.) If he left, Spurs still wouldn't be under the salary cap; basically, losing a player without any way to replace him.

2.) Despite the fact that he didn't fit well, RJ is still more talented than 80% of the free agents on the market, and most of the remaining 20% would be out of the Spurs price range, even if they had the full MLE to play with (for the sake of Splitter, let's hope that they don't).

3.) On the optimistic end, players tend to fit well their 2nd year with the Spurs.

4.) On the less optimistic end fit-wise, at least he's a large expiring contract for the Spurs to play with.

exactly, this is definitaley a good news

Spurs Brazil
06-29-2010, 06:38 PM
Contract year, he'll play better. I hope he works on his J on the summer

sananspursfan21
06-29-2010, 06:44 PM
Good, probably wouldn't have gotten worthwhile talent if he opted out.

He should be better next year since he knows his role now and its a contract year.

Hopefully the Spurs help Richard Jefferson out also. RJ can play the transition game and if the Spurs can get back to offense created from defense then he can have a better season.

i like this post. that's been my thoughts, i'm optimistic about rj. i've let him start over in my mind. until he proves otherwise, i'm believing he'll be much better

DMX7
06-29-2010, 06:45 PM
You mean teams weren't lineing up to pay him $15 million per season.

dbestpro
06-29-2010, 06:47 PM
I just don't want to see him at PF anymore.

DPG21920
06-29-2010, 06:47 PM
I would have settled for less talent if it meant a better fit.

tomtom
06-29-2010, 07:35 PM
Eh nothing we didn't all expect. There's a lot of positives with this so it's not really as bad as it seems. I don't they'd be even able to find any real good talent if he did opt out.

Dro210
06-29-2010, 07:54 PM
Anybody even on the fence about RJ coming back being good or bad is crazy.... he may have disappointed last year, but if he opted out, we were left with nothing. RJ>>>>>>>>>>nothing, believe it or not..... Plus, like mentioned before: Year 2 is historicly much better for new Spurs, and if he doesn't step up, he can be moved as an expiring.

Thats part one of the master plan. Part 2 is Dennis Lindsay getting the Suns GM job and part 3 is RJ being traded with a future first rounder for Amare and Dudley.

Sarcasm or not... I'll like it.

Splitter doesn't really make it a problem unless it would prevent him from wanting to come over (I don't know if that's what you meant?)... I'll take a big man rotation of Timmy, Amare, Splitter, D. Blair, and Dice.... Give Timmy and Dice all the regular season rest we can stand.... and Dudley could ball here. Not as talented, but a way better fit at SF than RJ imo.

angelbelow
06-29-2010, 07:56 PM
hopefully he turns some heads this year around.

HarlemHeat37
06-29-2010, 08:02 PM
If Jefferson is a starter all year, the Spurs are going to have some serious problems on both ends of the court..he would be a very solid 6th man, but he shouldn't be starting..the only way it could be passable is if he dramatically improves his 3-point shooting, but he really only had 1 season where he was a consistently good shooter, so it's safe to say that it was an anomaly..

EricD
06-29-2010, 08:07 PM
Any chance we can trade him for Brand?

Duncan needs a guy that can get 20 and 10 next to him. Splitter will be too much of a gamble and with Brand, Spurs will be getting a guy that has many 20 and 10 years under his belt.

Get it done. Any thoughts?

Chieflion
06-29-2010, 08:09 PM

Duncan needs a guy that can get 20 and 10 next to him. Splitter will be too much of a gamble and with Brand, Spurs will be getting a guy that has many 20 and 10 years under his belt.

This ain't 2006.

Dro210
06-29-2010, 08:10 PM

:rollin

:lobt2: (can I get a blue Larry O'Brien?)

EricD
06-29-2010, 08:12 PM
This ain't 2006.

Brand had surgery on his Achilles over a year ago, he was due for a bad year getting used to things again. This year should be a breakout for him. IMO

And he's younger than Duncan.

Chieflion
06-29-2010, 08:13 PM
Brand had surgery on his Achilles over a year ago, he was due for a bad year getting used to things again. This year should be a breakout for him. IMO

And he's younger than Duncan.

LOL troll. Get out. He isn't good anymore.

Anyone wants Jermaine O'Neal on the team?

EricD
06-29-2010, 08:15 PM
LOL troll. Get out. He isn't good anymore.

Anyone wants Jermaine O'Neal on the team?

You wouldn't take Jermaine O'Neal over Bonner?

Mel_13
06-29-2010, 08:16 PM
You wouldn't take Jermaine O'Neal over Bonner?

Not a fair question. Most Spurs fans would take Jermaine Jackson over Bonner.

Chieflion
06-29-2010, 08:17 PM

That troll sucks.

Dro210
06-29-2010, 08:18 PM

Shit, I'll take Tito..... or even, Mike. RIP

EricD
06-29-2010, 08:20 PM
Spurs could probably get Igoudala when they get Brand too. BTW

Chieflion
06-29-2010, 08:24 PM
Spurs could probably get Igoudala when they get Brand too. BTW

This troll reeks of stupidity.

galvatron3000
06-29-2010, 10:15 PM
Are we still running a stripped playbook?

Russ
06-30-2010, 12:09 AM
I'd say there's a good chance he exceeds expectations this year.

It always takes a year to get used to the triangle.

JustinJDW
06-30-2010, 01:05 AM
He'll to better this Season, plus its his contract year. We just have to stop playing him at Power Forward. We got Tiago coming over, and Blair is probably going to get more minutes, so there should be no fucking reason to play RJ at Power Forward.

Just work on that jumper RJ.

bigdog
06-30-2010, 01:17 AM
I didn't expect him to opt out. I really do think he'll be better this season, though. I'm not expecting superstar numbers, but I think we'll see better defense, more attacking, better shooting, and overall just better effort and hustle.

Danny.Zhu
06-30-2010, 01:18 AM
He'll to better this Season, plus its his contract year. We just have to stop playing him at Power Forward. We got Tiago coming over, and Blair is probably going to get more minutes, so there should be no fucking reason to play RJ at Power Forward.

Just work on that jumper RJ.

Most of the time when Pop chose to go small, it was not because the team is short-handed or something. It was just because Pop loves it.

tuncaboylu
06-30-2010, 01:51 AM
This is a good news at all.
He will try to raise his performance in his expiring year. If he can't, we can use him in a trade easily. Good for us.

TDMVPDPOY
06-30-2010, 03:06 AM
wheres all that attacking to the rim shit

sometime he just disappears in games or maybe players arent feeding him....

Sissiborgo
06-30-2010, 05:13 AM
And then he gave us no reason to keep celebrating.

So true!:lol

venitian navigator
06-30-2010, 05:31 AM
Question: given he was thinking to opt out looking for more "stability" with a contract of four years in range of 35/40 millions with Nets and nets evidently said no, given that we owe him already 15 millions just for this year...colud make any sense to propose him an extension at a little lower price range ? likey, a 5 millions for next three years after the current one ? so he could reach a little lower goal but still with the necessary stability (30 millions for four years) and we could have a decent player with a decent contract for the remaining "good" years of his career...

ffadicted
06-30-2010, 06:30 AM
Predict Jefferson's stats for next season, GO:

15.3 PPG
6.2 RPG
1.5 APG

:smokin noice

temujin
06-30-2010, 08:14 AM
Jefferson is a soft loser.
Nothing and nobody can change that.

At $15 millions, he is probably the most overpayed professional in sports.

That's sad enough.

To read that there are people actually HAPPY because he will be robbing the bank for one more year just makes me think that there is something fundamentally WRONG in the whole system.

Chieflion
06-30-2010, 08:26 AM

That's sad enough.

To read that there are people actually HAPPY because he will be robbing the bank for one more year just makes me think that there is something fundamentally WRONG in the whole system.

Jefferson > Nothing. And he is not the most overpaid professional athlete even at the NBA level.

coyotes_geek
06-30-2010, 08:30 AM

Eddy Curry disagrees.

temujin
06-30-2010, 08:54 AM
Eddy Curry disagrees.

More evidence that the system is wrong beyond any reasonable doubt.

yavozerb
06-30-2010, 08:56 AM

I think the NBA is aware of this hence the pending lockout...

temujin
06-30-2010, 08:57 AM
Question: given he was thinking to opt out looking for more "stability" with a contract of four years in range of 35/40 millions with Nets and nets evidently said no, given that we owe him already 15 millions just for this year...colud make any sense to propose him an extension at a little lower price range ? likey, a 5 millions for next three years after the current one ? so he could reach a little lower goal but still with the necessary stability (30 millions for four years) and we could have a decent player with a decent contract for the remaining "good" years of his career...

The notion of good years in the career of this guy is misleading and obsolete.

temujin
06-30-2010, 08:58 AM
I think the NBA is aware of this hence the pending lockout...

It's about time.

nadroj117
06-30-2010, 08:59 AM

That's sad enough.

I don't think you understand why people are happy. RJ opting out would limit what we can do with this team. We wouldn't have $15 million to spend. We're over the cap right now. It would be handcuffing us a bit because we have to pay splitter and fill out the roster, AND replace RJ. No matter how bad RJ played he'd be better than a league minimum guy on the market. Him opting in on this allows the spurs to now have an expiring contract to move midseason (or before) for another player whose team is looking to shed salary. This is a good thing. This forces Holt to stick with the commitment of paying the luxury tax for at least 1 more year, and hopefully for the remainder of Duncan's career. Does that make sense?

K-State Spur
06-30-2010, 09:02 AM
In the Suns series this year the Spurs didn't have a player on their roster who could stop him(I was at the Sunday afternoon game where he posterized RJ on his way to 40 points and a lot of rebounds and blocks).

A lot of rebounds and blocks = 12 & 0. And that 12 was a rare occasion when he gets double digits against quality competition.

He's still one of the best offensive big men in the game, but let's not pretend that he gives much value on the boards or as a shot blocker.

benefactor
06-30-2010, 09:02 AM
It is what it is. All that can be hoped for is that he does more good than harm.

rjv
06-30-2010, 09:06 AM
rj's contract will look more attractive come february and if he has not panned out by then i would expect him to be shopped around enthusiastically

lotr1trekkie
06-30-2010, 09:20 AM
RJ must be move to the bench. If my expectations are correct Splitter will start with Timmy. That means we need a SF who can defend and hit the 3 from the corner. RJ wold be an asset on a second unit of Manu, Hill, Blair, and Dice. His skills complement these guys. At the trade deadline his contract will be very attractive.

Ice009
06-30-2010, 09:33 AM

That's sad enough.

RJ is better than a minimum salary project player which is the only type of player we could afford if he opted out. I would definitely rather have RJ than nobody.

HOW DO PEOPLE NOT UNDERSTAND THIS? I'll even say thanks for not opting out RJ.

You can still look to trade him and he can still improve in the Spurs system. I think he needs to lose some weight then he can get some speed back on defense. That is a key for RJ to lose some weight and get some lateral quickness back and make a concerted effort on defense from the get go.

It's also weird that I am willing to back him up a little bit now ;). I was saying last season in November or early December to trade him. Where were all you people back then??? Everyone said I was crazy to say RJ is no good and doesn't fit on the Spurs. I said this shit early last season! I just can't believe how most people thought I was way wrong. Now probably over 95% people agree that RJ isn't the greatest fit. Hardly anyone was willing to step up and say anything though.

coyotes_geek
06-30-2010, 09:41 AM

Incorrect. "The system" didn't make Isiah Thomas give Eddy Curry that contract.

Ice009
06-30-2010, 09:41 AM
rj's contract will look more attractive come february and if he has not panned out by then i would expect him to be shopped around enthusiastically

If you want to trade RJ, then you actually want him playing well otherwise there might not be hardly any teams interested in trading for him even if he is an expiring contract. It's not as simple as saying oh RJ still sucks so we can trade him quite easily at the trade deadline.

So if the Spurs want to trade him they'd want him playing a lot better and more consistent than he did last season, but if he is also playing great and some team actually wants him you then have to decide if he can keep it going and play well in the playoffs before you make a trade. I am willing to give RJ a chance again if he is committed and comes ready I'd like to see what he can do. I'll be looking at his play on the defensive end first and foremost. If he can start to be aggressive consistently, he can turn it around.

temujin
06-30-2010, 02:55 PM
I don't think you understand why people are happy. RJ opting out would limit what we can do with this team. We wouldn't have $15 million to spend. We're over the cap right now. It would be handcuffing us a bit because we have to pay splitter and fill out the roster, AND replace RJ. No matter how bad RJ played he'd be better than a league minimum guy on the market. Him opting in on this allows the spurs to now have an expiring contract to move midseason (or before) for another player whose team is looking to shed salary. This is a good thing. This forces Holt to stick with the commitment of paying the luxury tax for at least 1 more year, and hopefully for the remainder of Duncan's career. Does that make sense?

I assume you are making at least 7.5 millions yourself.
Then I guess you can be happy watching a lazy, overweight loser making 15 Millions a year, while tearing apart the Spurs philosophy.

By the way, how much of that 15 millions check comes from your own pockets?

temujin
06-30-2010, 02:58 PM
Incorrect. "The system" didn't make Isiah Thomas give Eddy Curry that contract.

It did.
It actually put Thomas in a position to do so.

temujin
06-30-2010, 03:00 PM
RJ is better than a minimum salary project player which is the only type of player we could afford if he opted out. I would definitely rather have RJ than nobody.

HOW DO PEOPLE NOT UNDERSTAND THIS? I'll even say thanks for not opting out RJ.

You can still look to trade him and he can still improve in the Spurs system. I think he needs to lose some weight then he can get some speed back on defense. That is a key for RJ to lose some weight and get some lateral quickness back and make a concerted effort on defense from the get go.

It's also weird that I am willing to back him up a little bit now ;). I was saying last season in November or early December to trade him. Where were all you people back then??? Everyone said I was crazy to say RJ is no good and doesn't fit on the Spurs. I said this shit early last season! I just can't believe how most people thought I was way wrong. Now probably over 95% people agree that RJ isn't the greatest fit. Hardly anyone was willing to step up and say anything though.

Check that out: it took me a quarter of the first game to realize this guy has nothing to do with winning in general, and Spurs basketball in paticular.
And I wrote on this board about it.

I really really don't get what the FO saw in this kid.

coyotes_geek
06-30-2010, 03:18 PM
It did.
It actually put Thomas in a position to do so.

Doesn't matter. "The system" that put Isiah Thomas in a position to give Eddy Curry a ridiculous contract isn't any more responsible for that decision than the system that gives us the privledge of driving a car on a public road is responsible for someone making a bad decision to drive while intoxicated.

temujin
06-30-2010, 05:10 PM
Doesn't matter. "The system" that put Isiah Thomas in a position to give Eddy Curry a ridiculous contract isn't any more responsible for that decision than the system that gives us the privledge of driving a car on a public road is responsible for someone making a bad decision to drive while intoxicated.

Exactly.

What happens to your "right" to drive after you have been caught driving while intoxicated, possibly causing an accident?

Thomas drove the Knicks while intoxicated for YEARS and nobody dared cancelling his license.
Causing the Curry accident, among many others.

EricB
06-30-2010, 05:15 PM
Great news. Him opting out would've screwed the Spurs hardcore, despite the know it all fans who thought him opting out would be "great"

Seventyniner
06-30-2010, 05:19 PM
Exactly.

What happens to your "right" to drive after you have been caught driving while intoxicated, possibly causing an accident?

Thomas drove the Knicks while intoxicated for YEARS and nobody dared cancelling his license.
Causing the Curry accident, among many others.

But allowing Thomas to run the Knicks into the ground was Dolan's fault, and it's the owners that are claiming that the business model is broken (and are consequently threatening to lock the players out next summer). The owners need to take responsibility and not allow their GMs to sign FAs to big contracts unless they deserve them.

LeBron, Wade, etc will earn their salaries, but it's the players who undeservedly get $8-10M per season that really kill the cap and bottom line. Eddy Curry, Tyson Chandler, Bobby Simmons, Richard Jefferson...I could go on all day with players that are paid at least twice what they should be (from an economic standpoint, not just a gut feeling).

Agloco
06-30-2010, 05:19 PM
Last season he was the piece that would make the Spurs contenders. Saying he didn't meet expectations would be an understatement.

This year we're just hoping that he doesn't suck quite as hard as last season. I'd say there's a good chance he exceeds expectations this year.

:lol

Contract Year FTW.

temujin
06-30-2010, 05:36 PM
But allowing Thomas to run the Knicks into the ground was Dolan's fault, and it's the owners that are claiming that the business model is broken (and are consequently threatening to lock the players out next summer). The owners need to take responsibility and not allow their GMs to sign FAs to big contracts unless they deserve them.

LeBron, Wade, etc will earn their salaries, but it's the players who undeservedly get $8-10M per season that really kill the cap and bottom line. Eddy Curry, Tyson Chandler, Bobby Simmons, Richard Jefferson...I could go on all day with players that are paid at least twice what they should be (from an economic standpoint, not just a gut feeling).

Agreed.

ElNono
06-30-2010, 10:58 PM
Well, this thread is full of fail I guess... :lol

Mel_13
06-30-2010, 11:00 PM
Well, this thread is full of fail I guess... :lol

CIA Dick

Manufan909
06-30-2010, 11:32 PM
So does anyone know what is really going on with RJ? Will he opt out to get signed by the Spurs for a longer, back-loaded contract?

rascal
07-01-2010, 06:06 PM
RJ will contribute more this year, I have NO doubt.

Not expecting superstar, but hopefully better defense, 3pt shooting, and rebounding.

We have plenty of scoring, we dont' need more than 12-14 pts from him; pretty close to what he gave us anyway.

He will play better if the spurs use him better. He is not a 3 point shooter and should not be standing around the perimeter looking to mainly shoot 3 pointers. That will be a failure again. They need to run more when opportunities present themselves and get him in the open court with parker and manu.

Kori Ellis
07-01-2010, 07:03 PM
This thread being bumped just confuses people. I'm closing it.