PDA

View Full Version : Sources: Celtics' Pierce opting out

Kai
06-29-2010, 10:55 PM
Sources: Celtics' Pierce opting out

Add one more marquee name to the most anticipated free-agent class in NBA history: Paul Pierce.

Sources close to the situation told ESPN.com that Pierce has notified the Boston Celtics that he will opt out of the final year of his contract before Wednesday's deadline to do so, which will make Pierce an unrestricted free agent for the first time in his career.

By opting out, Pierce will forfeit next season's $21.5 million salary but becomes eligible to sign a new four-year deal with the Celtics worth a maximum of $96 million and can receive four-year offers from other teams worth a maximum $93 million.

It is unlikely Pierce would receive a contract longer than four years, because a fifth season would begin when Pierce was 37 and -- under the league's over-36 rule -- would have costly salary cap implications for any team signing him.

Pierce's name has scarcely been mentioned in the buildup to the summer of 2010 free-agent bonanza because, as with Dallas' Dirk Nowitzki, most rival executives believe that the Celtics would never allow the go-to scorer of the 2008 championship team to walk.

Sources said that Pierce will begin free agency by talking first to the Celtics when the market opens on Thursday at 12:01 a.m., but the 32-year-old will field other offers.

External interest in Pierce is hard to gauge because there has been so little discussion in recent months about his potential free agency and because of the heavy load he has carried for the Celtics in recent seasons. Yet Pierce just played a pivotal role in helping Boston to reach the NBA Finals and take the Los Angeles Lakers to seven grueling games as a No. 4 seed in the East.

Asked recently to gauge the likelihood of re-signing Pierce, Celtics vice president of basketball operations Danny Ainge said last week on WEEI Radio in Boston: "I don't know because he may be able to get a long-term contract somewhere else. It may be better than what we have [to offer]."

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nba/news/story?id=5341636

MavDynasty
06-29-2010, 11:01 PM
Both Pierce and Dirk would be guys to hang around but im guessing Pierce leaves

xtremesteven33
06-29-2010, 11:09 PM
Damn no one wants to win on their own anymore...pussys.

InRareForm
06-29-2010, 11:11 PM
smart obvious financial move.

Giuseppe
06-29-2010, 11:13 PM
No gd way in Hell I'd give him $96 million.

kamikazi_player
06-29-2010, 11:18 PM
Come to San Antonio for MLE plz :wakeup

Fpoonsie
06-29-2010, 11:21 PM
No gd way in Hell I'd give him $96 million.

Fuckin' a. Reading that made me nauseous.

InRareForm
06-29-2010, 11:27 PM
I say he is going back to LA.

CLipper nation

N4th4n
06-29-2010, 11:35 PM
I say he is going back to LA.

CLipper nation

It is possible the clipper end up over paying for him after the miss out on everyone else. Their roster would actually be interesting at that point.

IronMexican
06-29-2010, 11:38 PM
KG will feel like he's back in Minny again.

This is what you get when you act like an ass. I kind of feel bad for him, though. Apart from the first 2 games of the Finals, he was great. Either way, that's what you get, brah. Karma.

HarlemHeat37
06-29-2010, 11:40 PM
What kind of Karma do you get for raping somebody? 2 titles?..

IronMexican
06-29-2010, 11:42 PM
What kind of Karma do you get for raping somebody? 2 titles?..

That's how you know he didn't rape, man. 2 titles since that point.

BRHornet45
06-29-2010, 11:45 PM
sons LOL at the thought of $24 million a year for a 33 year old twitter liar that can't even put up 20 points per game anymore.

BRHornet45
06-29-2010, 11:48 PM
Yeah he's not going to get that, but whatever he gets, it will be more than what he could have gotten in the new CBA.

son Pierce has always been an outstanding player, but at this point in his career anything over $8-10 million per year is laughable.

DJ Mbenga
06-29-2010, 11:48 PM
kg's contract is so toxic they cant even rebuild if they wanted to

kamikazi_player
06-29-2010, 11:50 PM
Knowing Knicks management, Pierce could be the player that the Knicks aim for if they get JJ or Amare, I wouldn't be surprised.

06-30-2010, 12:51 AM
pierce won't leave. his legacy is with the celtics. unless he joins the lebron-wade-bosh superfriends, there's no guarantee he will get a championship.

Cane
06-30-2010, 01:08 AM
Pierce being old and having nagging injuries makes me want to believe that no one's stupid enough to offer him a huge contract but this is the NBA. He might entertain offers just to make sure but in the end I think his loyalty to the Celtics will win out and they should offer a decent deal as well.

EricB
06-30-2010, 01:24 AM
Pierce to the Clippers makes sense for both parties.

If he stayed healthy and the team stayed healthy, they would become a playoff threat.

koriwhat
06-30-2010, 03:07 AM
Fuckin' a. Reading that made me nauseous.

you sure your gay hardy shirts didn't make you nauseous instead? they do have that affect.

mingus
06-30-2010, 03:33 AM
pierce is going to LA. depending on who coaches them they might be able to contend

thedong
06-30-2010, 03:39 AM
Lol $250 hj

jermaine
06-30-2010, 06:40 AM
And the Lakers will have driven a stake in yet another franchise.

I finally agree on something with you gay Paki! The Cavs & Celts are bout to go back to a 20 win team now. Lmao

Ghazi
06-30-2010, 06:47 AM
rofl gay Paki

Vertical
06-30-2010, 07:34 AM
Stupid Pierce. No one would pay him more than 8 at this point.

JamStone
06-30-2010, 08:24 AM
i gotta believe he re-signs with the Boston Celtics for a ridiculous extension. He's walking away from a guaranteed $21.5 million next year. And regardless of how good he is anymore, guaranteed that Pierce still considers himself the "best player on the planet." I'm guessing he has an understanding with the Celtics for a pretty big extension. If not, he's going to be sorely disappointed for walking away from that guaranteed money next season, because I can't see another team giving him anything close to being worth walking away from $21.5 million for one year, even looking at the pending new CBA.

Shank
06-30-2010, 08:26 AM
That quote from Ainge gives pause to the thinking the Celtics would break the bank for him. What is Rondo's contract situation? Is he up soon, as well?

Chieflion
06-30-2010, 08:28 AM
That quote from Ainge gives pause to the thinking the Celtics would break the bank for him. What is Rondo's contract situation? Is he up soon, as well?

Rondo is already extended with a 5 year, 50 million contract, I think.

Mel_13
06-30-2010, 08:39 AM
With Pierce opting out and Sheed retiring, the only players under contract for the Celts are KG, Rondo, Perkins, and Big Baby. They could be a much different team next year. If so, they got a nice return on their investment in KG and Ray.

JamStone
06-30-2010, 08:47 AM

I agree but there's a chance that it's just media rhetoric.

I just find it hard to believe for Pierce to walk away from over $20 million guaranteed when his market value is much less, even if it's for a longer term contract. So I have to believe one of three things: 1) he has a deal in place with the Celtics, 2) he's really delusional about how much he's still worth in the open market, or 3) he has an idea that there is a really goofball franchise that is going to pay him $20+ million a year for four years, perhaps as mentioned the Clippers.

I guess #2 and #3 is possible, but WOW! if they are.

bostonguy
06-30-2010, 01:56 PM
kg's contract is so toxic they cant even rebuild if they wanted to

They can rebuild as early as February. Kg is on the books for 2 more years. Next summer, he will be a big fat expiring deal.

sook
06-30-2010, 01:58 PM
he sucks. Fuck him

spursfan1000
06-30-2010, 02:49 PM
This is smart on his part. Paul will likely get to sign a longer term deal worth more money. Maybe the Spurs will do a sign and trade if the Cetlics are not interested in giving a max contract, if that is indeed what he is after.

Either way I like Paul Pierce and if Doc is leaving then the Celtic's ship is sinking. Doc will leave, Sheed will retire, Ray Allen will be gone and Pierce will have signed with a team willing to spend. KG will feel like he's back in Minny again.

At Pierce's age, no thanks.