PDA

View Full Version : If Milwaukee waive Delfino for capspace...

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-30-2010, 03:48 AM
...which they might do if they are swinging for the fences for a max FA, we absolutely need to do something to get Delfino here.

The guy is a hard-rebounding SF-SG who can nail the 3, has clutch pedigree, and passes well. I have no doubt the Spurs' culture would inspire him to great effort on D, and like Manu, he's a good steal gambler. He reminds me of a Latin Brent Barry with slightly less passing and shooting ability, but a lot more rebounding. And then there's his connection with Manu, which could be epic.

Come to SA Carlos, you know it is YOUR REAL HOME*!

*...for the next few years of your life in the NBA, anyway...

Hooks
06-30-2010, 03:52 AM
Can we even afford him if we sign Splitter?

mystargtr34
06-30-2010, 03:57 AM
If i read correctly only 500K of his current contract is garuanteed.. even though it was around a $4M salary. Only 500K garuanteed isnt much at all, so maybe he would be willing to sign for the LLE.

Chieflion
06-30-2010, 04:04 AM
I think Milwaukee keeps him. He brings the toughness to the Bucks after all.

slick'81
06-30-2010, 04:38 AM
didnt he allready turn the spurs down once

mountainballer
06-30-2010, 04:57 AM
I think Milwaukee keeps him. He brings the toughness to the Bucks after all.

maybe. on the other hand, they added Maggette and CDR and will try to re sign Salmons. he could easily become the odd man out, especially if the fear the lux tax. (depending on what Salmons takes they might be close)

Chieflion
06-30-2010, 05:02 AM
maybe. on the other hand, they added Maggette and CDR and will try to re sign Salmons. he could easily become the odd man out, especially if the fear the lux tax. (depending on what Salmons takes they might be close)

I could see Salmons going to the Knicks. I think Salmons is already one step out of the door, which is why Milwaukee traded for Maggette.

jiggy_55
06-30-2010, 05:07 AM
Carlos Delfino is the type of guy who will perfectly in the Spurs system. This guy can play, unfortunately the chances of him signed for the LLE are probably at 0%. His value is higher than that for sure and I'm sure many teams would offer him much better deals.

Sissiborgo
06-30-2010, 05:11 AM
We sign Splitter rather than Delfino! We need a good PF/C for us!

DieMrBond
06-30-2010, 05:27 AM
I thought Delfino and Manu weren't the greatest of NT friends? So, that might take that potential advantage away? Probably wrong of course, but that's what I thought I had heard/read...

siraulo23
06-30-2010, 05:43 AM
Unrelated: noob question when can NBA teams sign FAs?

Chieflion
06-30-2010, 05:47 AM
Unrelated: noob question when can NBA teams sign FAs?

8th July.

Mel_13
06-30-2010, 07:55 AM
Today is the deadline for Milwaukee to waive Delfino, so we'll know soon enough if he's in play. Even if he's out of our price range, adding him to the pool of available swingmen would be good for the Spurs. More players chasing a finite number of jobs improves our chances of getting a decent player at the right price.

jiggy_55
06-30-2010, 08:01 AM
Today is the deadline for Milwaukee to waive Delfino, so we'll know soon enough if he's in play. Even if he's out of our price range, adding him to the pool of available swingmen would be good for the Spurs. More players chasing a finite number of jobs improves our chances of getting a decent player at the right price.

You don't think there's a team out there willing to pay more than 2 million for him? LOL

This is a guy that averaged 11 points, 5 boards, 3 assists with 1 steal. And he can shoot the 3 too. I think some smart ass team will sign him up for a much bigger amount of money than the Spurs could offer.

Mel_13
06-30-2010, 08:12 AM
You don't think there's a team out there willing to pay more than 2 million for him? LOL

What in my post leads you to that conclusion?

Note the portion in bold.

cd98
06-30-2010, 08:22 AM
Delfino is not Ginoboli. He's not better than the players currently on our roster and, if we did have the money, there are better free agents available.

resistanze
06-30-2010, 08:28 AM
Terribly inefficient shooter, and takes more shots than he should.

Chieflion
06-30-2010, 08:30 AM
Terribly inefficient shooter, and takes more shots than he should.

True. But he also brings rebounding and defense to the table. That is why people like him. He brings passion and energy as a role player. I don't think anyone signing him would make him the core piece.

Sotongball21
06-30-2010, 08:37 AM
Delfino is a poor man's manu and that's a good thing. I wouldn't mind him coming over.

Seventyniner
06-30-2010, 09:50 AM
True. But he also brings rebounding and defense to the table. That is why people like him. He brings passion and energy as a role player. I don't think anyone signing him would make him the core piece.

I agree. He'd be a great 9th man, but he'll want more minutes or money than the Spurs are willing to give.

nkdlunch
06-30-2010, 10:09 AM
Delfino > Hairston and Bogans and half the time Jefferson

SpurCharger
06-30-2010, 10:09 AM
I would welcome Delfino, He is much Better then Bogans, and He cant Do Much Worse Then Overpaid Jefferson.... And As inconsistent as Mason was.... Delfino Could be A Upgrade.

cd98
06-30-2010, 10:45 AM
Mason is gone. Bogans is gone. Delfino, at the money he would want, is not an upgrade.

clambake
06-30-2010, 10:55 AM
the bucks signing a max free agent?

Seventyniner
06-30-2010, 12:00 PM
the bucks signing a max free agent?

They would have the room to if they waived Delfino.

EricB
06-30-2010, 12:04 PM
The bucks most likely could get one or two decent players. No superstars, but decent players...

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-01-2010, 01:12 AM
I could see Salmons going to the Knicks. I think Salmons is already one step out of the door, which is why Milwaukee traded for Maggette.

Huh? Maggette is a one-trick pony (slasher) that doesn't replace Salmons (shooter, creator) at all. Salmons may be gone (pity, he fit the Bucks perfectly), but I don't think Maggette is envisioned to replace what he brought to the table.

We sign Splitter rather than Delfino! We need a good PF/C for us!

:rolleyes

State the obvious, much? Of course Splitter is the priority. I was thinking vet min, LLE or some kind of trade exception S+T deal.

Delfino is not Ginoboli. He's not better than the players currently on our roster and, if we did have the money, there are better free agents available.

And exactly how much will he want? Given all the money that is going to be flung at the top rung, and the second tier FAs, guys like Delfino may have to settle for the LLE or vet min, and at that price he'd be a steal.

As for not better than guys already on the roster, personally I'd take him over RJ. Either way, Manu/RJ/Delfino/Anderson would be one of the better swing rotations in the NBA.

Mel_13
07-01-2010, 07:04 AM
So much for Delfino:

Forward Carlos Delfino will return to the Milwaukee Bucks for the 2010-'11 season, a team source confirmed Wednesday.

Delfino was one of the surprises for the Bucks as they won 46 regular-season games and reached the Eastern Conference playoffs before losing to Atlanta in seven games in a first-round series.

The Bucks faced a Wednesday deadline if they had wanted to make a change with Delfino, who had only $500,000 in guaranteed money for the second year of his three-year contract.

By making no move, the Bucks chose to keep Delfino, who will be owed the full $3.5 million for the second year of the deal.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/bucks/97539134.html

DPG21920
07-01-2010, 08:31 AM
Damn

Chieflion
07-01-2010, 08:32 AM
Knew it. Bucks keep him for 3.5 million, which is good value for a player like Delfino. They can't be going after max players. That is ridiculous.

montgod
07-01-2010, 08:37 AM
Dang! They could be using Delfino as a trade piece since they are overloaded with SG/SF types (Redd - if healthy, Salmons - probably will re-sign, Maggette, CDR, Delfino). What's funny is they were rumored to be interested in Childress as well?!?

Creation88
07-01-2010, 08:39 AM
Drew Gooden just signed for 5 yrs 32 million. i hope this prices Jefferson out of Spurs black and silver. hoping to God.

Mel_13
07-01-2010, 08:40 AM
Knew it. Bucks keep him for 3.5 million, which is good value for a player like Delfino. They can't be going after max players. That is ridiculous.

But they can do this:

Drew Gooden(notes) has reached agreement on a five-year, $32 million contract with the Milwaukee Bucks, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Gooden has played for eight teams in eight seasons, and hopes to find some stability with the fast-rising Bucks.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ys-goodenbucks070110

:wow

Maybe RJ knows what he's doing after all.

jiggy_55
07-01-2010, 08:41 AM
Drew Gooden just signed for 5 yrs 32 million. i hope this prices Jefferson out of Spurs black and silver. hoping to God.

You're an idiot. You do realize that the Spurs will not be able to really replace him with any SF other than the LLE and vet minimum?

Chieflion
07-01-2010, 08:42 AM
But they can do this:

Drew Gooden(notes) has reached agreement on a five-year, $32 million contract with the Milwaukee Bucks, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Gooden has played for eight teams in eight seasons, and hopes to find some stability with the fast-rising Bucks.

Maybe RJ knows what he's doing after all.
I saw that. That is insane. Overpaying a player like Drew Gooden. More truth to Salmons saying goodbye. I guess small-market teams really have to overpay to get what they want, but this is outrageous.

montgod
07-01-2010, 08:43 AM

Wow... that's some crazy money for Gooden. Stupid Bucks are doing a Redskins move on the league in overpaying players to cause a trickle down effect. You know Gooden is happy... dang.

Creation88
You're an idiot. You do realize that the Spurs will not be able to really replace him with any SF other than the LLE and vet minimum?

everyone on this fucking board hated him this season now that he wants out everyone wants him back!? wtf is that.

i'll take anyone outside of Jefferson to fill his spot, on the roster or not. Jefferson proved last year that he can no longer create a shot, play with Tim, rotate on defense, even show a willingness to play defense. I don't understand this sudden love fest for the guy. you guys are morons.

MaNu4Tres
But they can do this:

unreal

ElNono
07-01-2010, 08:44 AM
lol.. Gooden was like: WHERE DO I SIGN? :lmao

TDMVPDPOY
07-01-2010, 08:45 AM

why not let what the market dictate his worth then us betting against ourselves overpayin for his services...

Creation88
07-01-2010, 08:48 AM
why not let what the market dictate his worth then us betting against ourselves overpayin for his services...

too logical for this board to consider..

Chieflion
07-01-2010, 08:49 AM
Okay, first of all, I must say that Drew Gooden's agent is Dan Fegan who had managed to get the following players long term big money contracts.

Shawn Marion, Troy Murphy, Jarvis Hayes, Anderson Varejao, Matt Carroll, Al Harrington, Reggie Evans, Jason Terry, Jason Richardson.

Damn it, that is sick. Drew Gooden had a ridiculously great agent that helps his clients get big contracts for their talent and level of play.

He has other players like Ricky Rubio, John Wall, and Jrue Holiday.

jiggy_55
07-01-2010, 08:54 AM
everyone on this fucking board hated him this season now that he wants out everyone wants him back!? wtf is that.

i'll take anyone outside of Jefferson to fill his spot, on the roster or not. Jefferson proved last year that he can no longer create a shot, play with Tim, rotate on defense, even show a willingness to play defense. I don't understand this sudden love fest for the guy. you guys are morons.

Love fest? I don't fucking care about RJ, but you have to be realistic and know he is still a talented player who can get his shit together. A contract year would've been the best case scenario: he has to play to get paid and the Spurs have a great trading chip.

Now that he's opted out, we're NOT gonna find anyone that can fill in a 30 minute role at the 3 adequately. Its likely he's going to be much better next season. Signing someone new is gonna be the same scenario as RJ in 09-10: he sucks, he's not good enough on defense, he doesn't know the Spurs system yet, every Spur sucks the 1st year, etc. Please spare me the crap

Creation88
07-01-2010, 08:57 AM
Love fest? I don't fucking care about RJ, but you have to be realistic and know he is still a talented player who can get his shit together. A contract year would've been the best case scenario: he has to play to get paid and the Spurs have a great trading chip.

Now that he's opted out, we're NOT gonna find anyone that can fill in a 30 minute role at the 3 adequately. Its likely he's going to be much better next season. Signing someone new is gonna be the same scenario as RJ in 09-10: he sucks, he's not good enough on defense, he doesn't know the Spurs system yet, every Spur sucks the 1st year, etc. Please spare me the crap

i think you oversell Jefferson. he did nothing last year and many people on this board believed he was "just a body." he never proved, last year, that he still had talent. and even when there was a minuscule amount of talent it was without Tim in the lineup. he's never played with a big man all his career why is that gonna change?

you guys act like there is not other options out there and RJ is the best solution. gimme a break.

Chieflion
07-01-2010, 08:59 AM
i think you oversell Jefferson. he did nothing last year and many people on this board believed he was "just a body." he never proved, last year, that he still had talent. and even when there was a minuscule amount of talent it was without Tim in the lineup. he's never played with a big man all his career why is that gonna change?

you guys act like there is not other options out there and RJ is the best solution. gimme a break.

Name me one option as good as RJ going into next season.

jiggy_55
07-01-2010, 08:59 AM

too logical for this board to consider..

He'd bolt and we'd be left with NOTHING. Some retarded team like NY or LAC would offer him huge money after failing to sign the stars they want. Popovich and Buford aren't stupid. They know we have a better shot at a title with RJ coming back and improving on last year than signing some random fucker. They'd prefer to resign him at an OK value rather than him come back to them with some big offer which would leave us with no SF and no money to sign a good replacement.

mystargtr34
07-01-2010, 09:00 AM
Damn i was just going to say that the Bucks are building a nice talent base and making some nice FO decisions... then they go out and give Gooden 5 years and $32M. There were so many better options for them, he's just a bad fit next to Bogut. Doesnt play any defense, and likes to operate on the block.

jiggy_55
07-01-2010, 09:02 AM

Exactly.

RJ did not have a good year we all know that, but he's shown he has talent and can play in the NBA over his long career. He just needs to adjust his game a bit and get some more confidence.

Creation88
07-01-2010, 09:05 AM
Exactly.

RJ did not have a good year we all know that, but he's shown he has talent and can play in the NBA over his long career. He just needs to adjust his game a bit and get some more confidence.

that's a bunch of BS. you can say that about any FA.

no one can rebut the fact that he doesn't play well with Tim Duncan in the line up and can't rotate worth a shit. am i left as the only one that watched last season? the guy is NOT a fit here. signing him long term is detrimental not only to the team but to developing talent behind him.

i'll take anyone over RJ at this point. he did nothing for this team last year, NOTHING. that's why i dont understand the lovefest. the Spurs still have wiggle room even though everyone believes they're locked up.

jiggy_55
07-01-2010, 09:14 AM
that's a bunch of BS. you can say that about any FA.

no one can rebut the fact that he doesn't play well with Tim Duncan in the line up and can't rotate worth a shit. am i left as the only one that watched last season? the guy is NOT a fit here. signing him long term is detrimental not only to the team but to developing talent behind him.

i'll take anyone over RJ at this point. he did nothing for this team last year, NOTHING. that's why i dont understand the lovefest. the Spurs still have wiggle room even though everyone believes they're locked up.

There's no love fest. There's no wiggle room.

Each person is entitled to his opinion, let's leave it at that. If their gonna re-sign him, I trust the Spurs FO and Pop know what their doing and I have confidence in them. If they feel they got to re-sign him, than I know that it's been a well thought out process and Pop has his ideas to work things out. You don't commit to a guy like RJ after a terrible season unless you've seen enough and know how to work it out for the better of the team. If they thought he'd suck again, they would have let him walk or just traded him early in the season.

We'll see what happens.

Agloco
07-01-2010, 11:49 AM

Exactly.

Still at it? And still not answering the question at hand I see. Go ahead. Tell us who you have in mind at the SF. This should be good.

jiggy_55
07-01-2010, 12:58 PM
Still at it? And still not answering the question at hand I see. Go ahead. Tell us who you have in mind at the SF. This should be good.

It's pretty obvious if you've followed up the convo that I am the asking the same question..