PDA

View Full Version : Series notebook: Moving ball sets up Parker and Ginobili

Kori Ellis
05-15-2005, 12:10 AM
Series notebook: Moving ball sets up Parker and Ginobili
Web Posted: 05/15/2005 12:00 AM CDT

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA051505.11C.BKNspurs.notebook.275894d34.html

Much of the Spurs' offensive success in the first three games has come from the ability of Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili to get into the lane.

But that doesn't mean they always have tried to penetrate at the right time. In Game 3, the Spurs' guards ran a few too many isolation plays.

"That's not something you want to do consistently down the stretch unless, of course, you're rolling," Bruce Bowen said. "In those situations we have to trust what we do and continue to move the ball."

With the exception of Thursday, Parker and Ginobili, for the most part, have done a good job of feeding the ball into the post, then swinging it around the perimeter as they wait for an opening to present itself.

In Game 1, Parker repeatedly looked to drive because the Sonics couldn't keep him from getting to the rim.

"We are much better penetrating after the ball has been moved a couple of times," Ginobili said. "It's way easier than just holding the ball and penetrating."

Bowen's specialty: Limited to 17 minutes in Game 2 because of foul trouble, Bowen was able to stay on the floor long enough Thursday to harass Ray Allen.

Allen led Seattle with 20 points but missed 17 of his 23 shots. For the series, he is shooting only 36.4 percent — albeit while playing on a sore right ankle.

"You're not going to stop Ray," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "You just try to keep him from scoring a gazillion."

Tim Duncan was asked Saturday if he thinks the battle between Allen and Bowen is personal.

"It's personal for Ray because he's not used to people getting up in his stuff," Duncan said. "Bruce is just doing his job. He does it to everybody. He does it every game."

Chasing Jordan: Robert Horry is expected to play in his 184th playoff game today, tying Robert Parish for sixth place on the NBA's all-time list.

Horry recently passed Michael Jordan in playoff appearances.

"It would mean more," Horry said, "if I can catch him in the ring department."

Jordan retired with six NBA championships. Horry leads all active players with five.

Johnny Ludden

Stifling Jerome: Sonics coach Nate McMillan had a heart-to-heart chat with his loquacious center, Jerome James, during Saturday's practice session, effectively muzzling the big man who had declared, after the Sonics' Game 3 victory, that he and his teammates had "no respect — none" for the Spurs.

"I just want to play," James said, a wide smile on his face as several reporters rushed to him after the practice. "I just want to play. I just want to play. That's all I want to do. Let me go to work. That's all I want to do."

Nearly every attempt to get James to say anything about any topic brought a similar "I just want to play" response.

Was James surprised at how open he had been on pick-and-roll plays in Game 3?

"Not really," he said. "They've got to focus on Rashard and Ray. But again, I just want to play."

What changed that you don't want to talk so much, Jerome?

"I got scolded in there," he said. "I got twisted up like a jigsaw puzzle. But I'm cool. I just want to play."

No more talking big?

"I got scolded and I just want to play," James said.

You and Nate McMillan were having a long talk after practice, Jerome. What did you talk about?

"How much I wanted to play and do my job," James said.

With that, James thanked the reporters for their interest and hit the showers.

Extra work: Allen spent about 45 minutes after practice working on his shot. After curtailing his shooting routine because of soreness in his sprained right ankle, Allen said he needed the extra work.

"Last couple of days I couldn't shoot like I wanted to because I was nursing that ankle, trying to get it healthy," Allen said. "So today was a day I was focusing on being strong and centered and having time to work on my shot."

Allen has made only 4 of 16 3-pointers in the first three games of the series.

Mike Monroe

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-15-2005, 12:24 AM
"It's personal for Ray because he's not used to people getting up in his stuff," Duncan said. "Bruce is just doing his job. He does it to everybody. He does it every game."

Consider notice served, Ray.

Gerryatrics
05-15-2005, 04:15 AM
Stifling Jerome: Sonics coach Nate McMillan had a heart-to-heart chat with his loquacious center, Jerome James, during Saturday's practice session, effectively muzzling the big man who had declared, after the Sonics' Game 3 victory, that he and his teammates had "no respect — none" for the Spurs.

"I just want to play," James said, a wide smile on his face as several reporters rushed to him after the practice. "I just want to play. I just want to play. That's all I want to do. Let me go to work. That's all I want to do."

Nearly every attempt to get James to say anything about any topic brought a similar "I just want to play" response.

Was James surprised at how open he had been on pick-and-roll plays in Game 3?

"Not really," he said. "They've got to focus on Rashard and Ray. But again, I just want to play."

What changed that you don't want to talk so much, Jerome?

"I got scolded in there," he said. "I got twisted up like a jigsaw puzzle. But I'm cool. I just want to play."

No more talking big?

"I got scolded and I just want to play," James said.

You and Nate McMillan were having a long talk after practice, Jerome. What did you talk about?

"How much I wanted to play and do my job," James said.

With that, James thanked the reporters for their interest and hit the showers.

:lmao

I know if Nate had a "heart-to-heart" with me I'd be doing anything he says. I've met him a couple of times and even when he's relaxed he's intimidating as hell. When he gets fired up and really starts scowling... I wish he would have had that little talk with Jerome a little sooner, but it doesn't matter what they say as long as he has them ready to play.

James trying to be humble all of a sudden... :lmao :lmao :lmao

slayermin
05-15-2005, 04:51 AM
The Encore channel showed "He Got Game" tonight. I was laughing my azz off because in the movie, a young Jesus Shuttleworth is playing his father, played by Denzel Washington, one on one and the father was being extremely physical in the game. The father was trying to toughen up the young Jesus Shuttleworth by pushing him and frustrating him with physical play.

The older Shutterworth became angry because the young Shuttleworth was allowing the physical play to effect his game, negatively. Finally, young Jesus got so angry that he took the ball and threw it over the fence. He went home because he couldn't take it.

I laughed because real life imitates art, or vice versa. Ray Allen should watch the movie again and learn from the lessons his on screen dad gave him.