PDA

View Full Version : Tuberville doesn't think new Big 12 will last.

samikeyp
06-30-2010, 08:26 AM
First-year Texas Tech football coach Tommy Tuberville broke ranks with those inside the Big 12 who laud the efforts that kept the conference together and speak of a bright future for the 10-team league.

In an interview Tuesday on Rivals Radio, Tuberville said that he didn't think the new Big 12 would have staying power.

"I don't think this conference will last long because there is too much disparity between all the teams," Tuberville told host Bill King. "In the SEC, for instance, Vanderbilt makes as much money in the television contract as Florida. Everybody is good with it. Everybody is on the same page. Everyone gets the same votes.

"That doesn't happen here in the Big 12. We have some teams that get a little bit more money and have a little bit more stroke than some of the other teams. And when that happens, you're gonna have teams looking for better avenues to leave and reasons to leave."

Tuberville coached in the SEC at Ole Miss (1995-1998) and Auburn (1999-2008) before being hired earlier this year to replace Mike Leach at Texas Tech.

In the recent wave of conference realignment, Nebraska decided to leave the Big 12 for the Big Ten, and Colorado accepted an invitation from the Pac-10.

The Big 12 almost dissolved when when Tech, Texas, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State were on the verge of joining Colorado, and Texas A&M was pondering heading to the SEC or the Pac-10.

But on the strength of Texas' commitment and the promise of lucrative television deals, the Big 12's remaining 10 teams reached an agreement to stay togther.

Tuberville, however, is skeptical.

"We have a 10-team league right now, but I just don't know how long that's gonna last, to be honest with you," he said in the Rivals Radio interview

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/ncf/news/story?id=5341756

tlongII
06-30-2010, 09:31 AM
I agree with him.

Blake
06-30-2010, 11:42 AM
"I don't think this conference will last long because there is too much disparity between all the teams," Tuberville told host Bill King. "In the SEC, for instance, Vanderbilt makes as much money in the television contract as Florida. Everybody is good with it. Everybody is on the same page. Everyone gets the same votes.

I think he is saying what everyone in Lubbock is thinking.

the big guns like UT and OU as well as the bottomfeeders like Baylor and Iowa St currently like it, but the middle of the road schools like Tech, Okie St and Kansas still have a bit of a sour taste from this whole ordeal.

LoneStarState'sPride
06-30-2010, 12:47 PM
The Big 12(-2) is not long for this world.

fyatuk
06-30-2010, 03:32 PM
I agree. Unless they find someway to balance the shared revenue evenly while still providing the big boys with enough to convince them not to leave, the Big XII is going to die soon.

Otherwise, one of the other conferences will pick off one of the middle schools (TT, Kansas, OSU seem the most likely) just to destabalize it.

mookie2001
06-30-2010, 03:40 PM
Haha pooooor big12

Let's all talk about it

symple19
06-30-2010, 03:45 PM
Read the quotes earlier and lmao. I still have a warm, fuzzy place for Tubs, and he's just doing his thing, telling the truth.

mookie2001
06-30-2010, 03:47 PM
It's because Texas made them to stay to force them into inferiority

DesignatedT
06-30-2010, 05:20 PM
Wouldnt be surprised if it fell apart after next season to be honest.

texas_gator
07-01-2010, 12:23 AM
Wouldnt be surprised if it fell apart after next season to be honest.

:greedy:greedy:greedy:greedy:greedy:greedy

symple19
07-01-2010, 04:04 AM
:greedy:greedy:greedy:greedy:greedy:greedy

Who the fuck are you? A troll? Possibly a bandwagon Gator fan? Or possibly a real Gator fan?

Prove yourself

symple19
07-01-2010, 06:17 AM
tbh is what tubs has always been about, not disparaging dudes ole' ladies

...bro

texas_gator
07-01-2010, 01:23 PM
Who the fuck are you? A troll? Possibly a bandwagon Gator fan? Or possibly a real Gator fan?

Prove yourself

Prove myself to who? An internet forum? pleeeeeeease....been a Gator fan since Spurrier took over (at the tender age of 10, when it was time to pick a team and stick with them) and have stuck with them through thick/thin...yes even the zook years...

who the fuck are you?

as for the money-eyed smileys, i was simply implying to your post that the big whatever won't last b/c of $$$$$$$...even though OU and aTm are getting theirs it's still a conference, why should Texas be king (not my frame of thought, but the thought of other schools in the conference)...

food for thought: what if Texas went independent like Norte Dame and signed a TV contract with lets say, oh i don't know, Fox or ABC/ESPN Family for some astronomical number (roughly a billion or so) for XX number of years and play the countries best, yet still keep rivals OU aTm on the schedule...Bevo would really be flexing his horns then huh?

Blake
07-01-2010, 03:44 PM
food for thought: what if Texas went independent like Norte Dame and signed a TV contract with lets say, oh i don't know, Fox or ABC/ESPN Family for some astronomical number (roughly a billion or so) for XX number of years and play the countries best, yet still keep rivals OU aTm on the schedule...Bevo would really be flexing his horns then huh?

you mean the way Notre Dame is currently flexing their irish muscles?

texas_gator
07-01-2010, 11:31 PM
you mean the way Notre Dame is currently flexing their irish muscles?

past tense...notre dame flexed...

if you think about it, the irish have it made, no rigorous conference to play through (even if they were big 10, how many games would go either way) and the whole automatic birth into the bcs...with that being said, let's play the hypothetical game:

Texas, finish Top 10, automatic BCS birth, finish 1 or 2, automatic BCS Title game birth...this past season (por ejemplo) Alabama, Texas, Florida were 1-2-3, depending on how the week played out, since 'Bama and Florida play in the SEC title game, Texas would automatically get that spot...

Say what you want, it'll never happen and let's be honest for a second blake, Notre Dame and Texas are not on the same level...

Blake
07-02-2010, 10:17 AM
past tense...notre dame flexed...

exactly.

Say what you want, it'll never happen and let's be honest for a second blake, Notre Dame and Texas are not on the same level...

right. Texas going independent was never really food for thought.

Tommy Tuberville
07-03-2010, 07:44 AM
Prove myself to who? An internet forum? pleeeeeeease....been a Gator fan since Spurrier took over (at the tender age of 10, when it was time to pick a team and stick with them)

This sounds like JGW

texas_gator
07-03-2010, 11:13 AM
This sounds like JGW

whose jgw? is he a fellow gatorfan?

Tommy Tuberville
07-03-2010, 08:32 PM
whose jgw? is he a fellow gatorfan?

lordy you are a newbie.....

as a coach, i want my players to make good decisions.....so if you ever encounter a person claiming to be a "long time fan" and his initials are jgw.....

dont talk to him, nor align yourself with anything he might propose.....

he will strip you of your capacity to be reasonable.....

who knows what team he supports these days......

you got a lot to learn rook!

Tommy Tuberville
07-03-2010, 08:37 PM
also, as a coach, i want to recommend you to not make it known that you are a t shirt fan......

people on this forum get butchered for things like that......

go red raiders!

Tom

symple19
07-05-2010, 02:15 PM
awesomeness...pure...unadulterated...

Tubbs

Obstructed_View
07-05-2010, 03:11 PM
Tech's delusions of grandeur will cause them to piss about this for a while until they see the offers from other major conferences fail to come pouring in.

Blake
07-06-2010, 01:56 PM
Tech's delusions of grandeur will cause them to piss about this for a while until they see the offers from other major conferences fail to come pouring in.

lol at Baylorfan being jealous of Tech's mediocrity

Obstructed_View
07-06-2010, 02:07 PM
lol at Baylorfan being jealous of Tech's mediocrity

lol at Baylorfan striking a nerve.

Blake
07-06-2010, 03:39 PM
lol at Baylorfan striking a nerve.

lol at baylorfan thinking he struck a nerve.

mookie2001
07-06-2010, 05:54 PM
All these teams are afraid of UTSAs potential anyway

Obstructed_View
07-06-2010, 06:17 PM
lol at baylorfan thinking he struck a nerve.

lol at you running out of lols.

MajorMike
07-06-2010, 09:31 PM
If atm would have actually grown a pair instead of selling their bankrupt AD soul's for extra cash then we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Blake
07-06-2010, 10:21 PM
lol at you running out of lols.

lol at jealous baylorfan thinking I can run out of lols. lol.

Tommy Tuberville
07-08-2010, 04:04 AM
All these teams are afraid of UTSAs potential anyway

I have to say that, as a coach, I really like that the team in good ol' san antonio has some high expectations fore their new football team. I think that the new coach has potential to lead them in the right direction. But direction and winning are two different things. Utsa needs to start slow and gain some momentum in the lower ranks before vaulting and playing the higher caliber contenders.

I think that getting a stadium of their own is imperative. I have recently been contacted by UTSA about a possible contract to play in the next five years. They unfortunately should start with Texas State and Sam Houston, rather than trying to land the likes of Tech, the Ags, or the Horns for their future shedules.....

Go Red

texas_gator
07-08-2010, 11:49 AM
UTSA is trying to make a name for itself Tubbs...what better way to do so than playing the big boys and a possible upset here/there...

ChumpDumper
07-08-2010, 02:22 PM
Why would some dumbass make a Tuberville troll?

CubanMustGo
07-08-2010, 04:08 PM
What else is there to do this time of year?

tlongII
07-08-2010, 05:44 PM
UTSA is trying to make a name for itself Tubbs...what better way to do so than playing the big boys and a possible upset here/there...

They will never be able to pull off that type of upset.

Tommy Tuberville
07-09-2010, 09:19 AM
Why would some dumbass make a Tuberville troll?

As a coach, I would just like to say that you are representing your school by the way you act. The only person who could be labeled a "dumbass" is the person who roots for a team who has yet to play a game or build a stadium. Now, I don't like fighting, so I always tell my players to ignore the bottom feeders, because they can only bring you down. So, I will not fight with you. Good luck with your first game, playing at the newly refurbished NEISD-owned high school football field.

Go Red Raiders!

Tubbs

Blake
07-09-2010, 01:40 PM
The only person who could be labeled a "dumbass" is the person who roots for a team who has yet to play a game or build a stadium.......

......Good luck with your first game, playing at the newly refurbished NEISD-owned high school football field.

Anyone who thinks NEISD owns and refurbished the Alamodome can really be labeled as a dumbass.

ChumpDumper
07-09-2010, 01:56 PM
Anyone who thinks NEISD owns and refurbished the Alamodome can really be labeled as a dumbass.:rollin

Tommy Tuberville
07-09-2010, 10:07 PM
Anyone who thinks NEISD owns and refurbished the Alamodome can really be labeled as a dumbass.

As a coach, I come into contact with many people from all over Texas. The last time I heard about UTSA's possible places to play, NEISD football fields was seriously being considered. I knew that the team had also talked with the Alamodome, but there was nothing nailed down so far. Obviously from what your telling me, they signed to play their games in the Alamodome. That is news to me. Its a better choice, but I in no way infered to NEISD owning the dome.

Go Red Raiders!

Tubbs

Blake
07-09-2010, 10:47 PM
As a coach, I come into contact with many people from all over Texas.

rarely does a troll come along that is not unfunny or unlame.

:td

mookie2001
07-09-2010, 10:58 PM
rarely does a blake post make me laugh

:tu

Blake
07-09-2010, 11:01 PM
rarely does a blake post make me laugh

:tu

rarely does a mookie post make sense.

I saiiiiiiiiiiiid.