PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Tuning out the Sonics

Kori Ellis
05-15-2005, 12:12 AM
Tuning out the Sonics: Verbal jabs of no concern as Spurs brace for Game 4
Web Posted: 05/15/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA051505.1C.BKNspurs.sonics.adv4.27581f93d.html

SEATTLE — The Spurs have heard the sound bites and seen the quotes. Jerome James doesn't respect them. Ray Allen doesn't like Bruce Bowen. Allen thinks Manu Ginobili flops. James wants to knock all of them on their rears.

While the Seattle SuperSonics have provided plenty of interesting off-day viewing material — particularly since they reduced the Spurs' lead in the Western Conference semifinals to 2-1 — their opponents have answered only with an arched eyebrow, a slight grin and a shrug of their shoulders.

Any other response will have to wait until today when the teams resume their best-of-seven series at KeyArena.

"We don't care what they have to say," Tim Duncan said. "We're worried about getting through the games and playing better. It seems like there's a lot of activity for them outside of the game. We're not worried about that. We don't get involved in that.

"We just want to get to four games and get out of this series."

Getting to three would be progress in itself. The Spurs led the Los Angeles Lakers 2-0 in each of the previous two conference semifinals only to return home each time with the series tied. A year ago, they never recovered, exiting the playoffs on the heels of four consecutive losses.

"Each year is different," Tony Parker said. "I think we have a lot more experience. We learn from our mistakes from the years before."

The Spurs hope Thursday's loss taught them a few things as well. Such as, it's OK to stay with Allen on Seattle's pick-and-rolls, provided someone else picks up that 7-foot center running toward the rim.

"They're going to score out of the pick-and-roll at some point," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "We just hope it's not as prolific a scoring day as it was for them the other night."

Six of James' seven baskets in Game 3 were dunks, and more than half of those came out of screen-and-roll situations. Some, Parker said, can be eliminated with better communication. Too often, the Spurs' big men didn't know whether to switch on the pick-and-rolls or stay with Allen.

The Spurs also made other adjustments in their defense after watching film Saturday afternoon.

"It's not like it's Karl Malone and John Stockton there," Ginobili said. "(The Sonics) are good, but we can play it different."

The Spurs' defense improved later in the game. In the fourth quarter, Seattle made only four of its 18 shots. Had the Spurs also not made only four of their 17 attempts — and gone 8 for 16 from the free-throw line — in the final quarter, they might even be trying to complete a sweep today.

Instead, Seattle now has an opportunity to tie the series.

"You lose and then you know you have to win three in a row," Sonics coach Nate McMillan said. "You win (today) and then I think the pressure is back on them. I really do. It changes the whole series."

Like the Spurs, Seattle also thinks it can play considerably better than it did in Game3. More than a few of the shots the Sonics missed in the first quarter were open. Allen and Rashard Lewis, their top two scorers, went a combined 9 for 33.

While Allen has been playing on a sore right ankle he sprained in the opening game of the series, Lewis sprained his left big toe late in Game 3. Lewis will try to go today but thinks his ability to jump, run and cut will be limited.

Seattle is already missing sharp-shooting forward Vladimir Radmanovic, who hasn't played since spraining his right ankle in Game 1. Regardless of the injuries, the Spurs have done their best to make life miserable for the Sonics' shooters. Seattle has made only 8 of 41 3-point attempts in the series.

"You might not make your shots, you might not make your free throws," Popovich said. "But, for us, if we don't play defense, we're not going to win basketball games."

With the Sonics expecting another caffeinated sellout crowd this afternoon, the Spurs also will lean on their experience. While Allen thinks missing free throws, particularly late in a game, is a possible sign "the environment is weighing on you," he doesn't expect the Spurs to be too shaken from their first loss in the series.

"They have Rocks of Gibraltar all over the place," Allen said. "They have a lot of guys who can make plays because they've been there."

Experience also has taught the Spurs to keep their mouths shut. It's a lesson McMillan hopes his own center will learn. Scolded by McMillan for his comments the previous two days, James tried to answer every question Saturday with a simple, "I just want to play."

"We know what we have to do to win the game," Parker said, "and we'll see what he has to say after that."

1Parker1
05-15-2005, 10:08 AM
"We know what we have to do to win the game," Parker said, "and we'll see what he has to say after that."--Tony Parker

"It's not like it's Karl Malone and John Stockton there," Ginobili said. "(The Sonics) are good, but we can play it different." --Manu Ginobili

LOL. You gotta love the Spurs brand of retaliation.

exstatic
05-15-2005, 12:35 PM
This reminds me of a quote by David Robinson a while back:

"If you beat me, you beat me, but you're not going to beat me with your mouth."

Just STFU, already, Sonics. This schizophrenic yo-yo-ing between crying about calls and trash talking after a one point win is beyond moronic.

exstatic
05-15-2005, 12:53 PM
I dont just want a win tonight, I want a major 20+ pt blowout

it will teach them to just shut their fuckin mouth

I want the blowout, too, but it won't teach them a damn thing. They'll just revert to crying about calls. They have been nothing but annoying, win or lose. That's why I want two more wins, and this boatload of babies in the rearview mirror.