PDA

View Full Version : Nullification: Interview with a Zombie

Galileo
06-30-2010, 12:40 PM
Nullification: Interview with a Zombie

A zombie sits down to interview Tom Woods on Tom's latest book, "Nullification: How to Resist Federal Tyranny in the 21st Century."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrcM5exDxcc&feature=player_embedded#!

:toast

Wild Cobra
06-30-2010, 01:03 PM
A little over a minute in, he quotes a founding fathers statement that states are duty bound to resist illegal laws. Well, look what happened to the South when they resisted.

DarkReign
06-30-2010, 02:20 PM
A little over a minute in, he quotes a founding fathers statement that states are duty bound to resist illegal laws. Well, look what happened to the South when they resisted.

But then your point is moot. They did resist...lost and capitulated, rightly or wrongly.

Resistance is fine, but you have to "win" in order to affect change.

DarkReign
06-30-2010, 02:21 PM
Moreover, the issue of the Civil War is a bad one. There are laws and there was slavery as law.

Poor argument, even to a statist like myself.

Wild Cobra
06-30-2010, 02:28 PM
Moreover, the issue of the Civil War is a bad one. There are laws and there was slavery as law.

Poor argument, even to a statist like myself.
Slavery was just a part of the states rights. I wasn't arguing a single aspect. Fact is, we really eroded states rights when the north won. Do you disagree with that aspect of my argument?

I'm not going to say that slavery was right. Fact is, slavery had to remain intact for the nation to come together. It was recognized in the constitution.

Shouldn't the 13th, 14th, and 15th amendments been created before forcing federal laws on free states? The laws were unconstitutional, and the south rebelled. Still, slavery was only one of several issues that the federal government imposing over states rights.

Stringer_Bell
06-30-2010, 02:39 PM
Since when is freeing dark skinned human beings from labour they did not contract themselves to part of state's rights? Fuck those states.

Wild Cobra
06-30-2010, 02:47 PM
Since when is freeing dark skinned human beings from labour they did not contract themselves to part of state's rights? Fuck those states.
Have you read the constitution?

It was there. I'm not arguing morality.

DarkReign
06-30-2010, 02:47 PM
Slavery was just a part of the states rights. I wasn't arguing a single aspect. Fact is, we really eroded states rights when the north won. Do you disagree with that aspect of my argument?

No, not at all. I agree with you absolutely.

I'm not going to say that slavery was right. Fact is, slavery had to remain intact for the nation to come together. It was recognized in the constitution.

Therein lies the problem with codifying things into law that are meaningfully void when applied to the idea of a democratic nation.

Shouldn't the 13th, 14th, and 15th amendments been created before forcing federal laws on free states? The laws were unconstitutional, and the south rebelled. Still, slavery was only one of several issues that the federal government imposing over states rights.

The way the country went through that process is about as just as it could get. Bottom line, spin it if you like, Southerners still wanted to own human beings. That was appalling to most Northern citizens and a right to most Southern citizens.

War broke out, someone lost via an unconditional surrender. The end.

The South had a right to fight for its cause and its rights, and they did. But when they unconditionally surrendered, their rights no longer mattered. They were the conquered, the vanquished, they lost. How history interprets that is irrelvant.

Its a shame that State's Rights were an ever-lasting casualty of war because of it (a God damned shame), but in that instance, trust me, I'd have had a rifle in my hand for the blueshirts.

fyatuk
06-30-2010, 02:57 PM
Its a shame that State's Rights were an ever-lasting casualty of war because of it (a God damned shame), but in that instance, trust me, I'd have had a rifle in my hand for the blueshirts.

That's impossible to unequivocably state. If you had existed back then, your mindset would have been vastly different from what it is now.

Just saying ;)

Wild Cobra
06-30-2010, 02:58 PM
That's impossible to unequivocably state. If you had existed back then, your mindset would have been vastly different from what it is now.

Just saying ;)
Don't you see the ever growing and encroachment of the federal government over states responsibilities?

DarkReign
06-30-2010, 02:59 PM

Just saying ;)

...and you'd be "just saying" correctly. It was a stupid blanket statement to make.