PDA

View Full Version : Democrats add teacher money to war funding bill

spursncowboys
06-30-2010, 12:42 PM
House Democrats, who are trying to pass a long-stalled war funding bill this week, have attached $10 billion to help local school districts avoid teacher layoffs when schools reopen.

A $23 billion, debt-financed plan has been scrapped over deficit concerns, but has been replaced with a $10 billion "education jobs fund" financed by multiple cuts from prior spending bills, including last year's stimulus bill.

There's also more than $500 million in new money to hire more border patrol agents and pay for other security initiatives along the U.S.-Mexico border — though $200 million in previously appropriated money for a border fence, popular with Republicans, would be rescinded.

And there's $18 billion in new Energy Department loan guarantees, to be evenly split between nuclear and renewable energy projects.

Part of the delay has been over finding offsetting budget cuts to finance the teacher jobs initiative. The sometimes combative Obey has been wrestling with the White House budget office over the cuts.
The package unveiled Tuesday includes unspent defense funds, as well as money cut from community development and rural Internet projects.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100630/ap_on_go_co/us_congress_war_funding

ChumpDumper
06-30-2010, 12:46 PM
And?

admiralsnackbar
06-30-2010, 12:47 PM
Scandalous.

George Gervin's Afro
06-30-2010, 12:50 PM
Down with the Unions!

boutons_deux
06-30-2010, 12:52 PM
Repugs also voted down money to help homeless vets.

Do those fuckers even know it's an election year?

Wild Cobra
06-30-2010, 12:56 PM

Maybe if congress would make bills that stand by their own merit...

When you slide in bad spending into a bill that will otherwise pass, you can expect it to be voted down, or attempted to be stalled.

If these add on's have merit, let them be voted on with their own bill number. Not as an amendment to something unrelated.

George Gervin's Afro
06-30-2010, 12:57 PM
Maybe if congress would make bills that stand by their own merit...

When you slide in bad spending into a bill that will otherwise pass, you can expect it to be voted down, or attempted to be stalled.

If these add on's have merit, let them be voted on with their own bill number. Not as an amendment to something unrelated.

where have you been? This happens all of the time..

Wild Cobra
06-30-2010, 01:18 PM
where have you been? This happens all of the time..
No shit Sherlock.

Ever know a conservative that actually agrees with the process?

admiralsnackbar
06-30-2010, 01:23 PM
No shit Sherlock.

Ever know a conservative that actually agrees with the process?

I don't think I know any conservatives, if that's your criterion. Everybody in Washington has played ball as long as I've been alive.

spursncowboys
06-30-2010, 01:30 PM
what better time to stop. instead of complaining when your team is out of office. Stop putting domestic spending in military budgets. stop with the 2000+ page bills that even lawyers have to hire people to read to understand what is in the bill.

TeyshaBlue
06-30-2010, 01:31 PM
I don't think I know any conservatives, if that's your criterion. Everybody in Washington has played ball as long as I've been alive.

^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^

Wild Cobra
06-30-2010, 01:42 PM
Any playing by such rules doesn't mean they agree. You play the hand you have under the given rules. Republicans get this same criticism from me. I simply think we need a clean sweep in both houses, with people who truly want to do what is constitutionally right.

admiralsnackbar
06-30-2010, 01:49 PM
Any playing by such rules doesn't mean they agree. You play the hand you have under the given rules. Republicans get this same criticism from me. I simply think we need a clean sweep in both houses, with people who truly want to do what is constitutionally right.

That's all I want. And world peace. And this thermos.

boutons_deux
06-30-2010, 01:55 PM
"I simply think we need a clean sweep in both houses, with people who truly want to do what is constitutionally right."

more bleating from his ivory tower in cloud cuckoo land

TeyshaBlue
06-30-2010, 01:59 PM
"I simply think we need a clean sweep in both houses, with people who truly want to do what is constitutionally right."

more bleating from his ivory tower in cloud cuckoo land

....in stark contrast to the "slapping of bitches" :rolleyes you deliver from truthout.borg land? :lmao

TeyshaBlue
06-30-2010, 02:00 PM
yin and yang I suppose.

Probably a good cancellation at play.

baseline bum
06-30-2010, 02:56 PM
That's all I want. And world peace. And this thermos.

:lol

ducks
06-30-2010, 03:19 PM

because since you serve the country you get a handout?
that is right donkeys think the tax payer should pay for people for not using their heads! and save their money for hard times
why did the vets not waste their money earlier in the life!
they get plenty of beneifs as vets

boutons_deux
06-30-2010, 03:23 PM
1000s of homeless vets, now men AND women, are a great recruiting tool, showing how military service/training can lead to a great career, to say nothing of the TBI and PTSD, badly unacknowledged and undertreated, screwing up 100s of 1000s of vets' lives and families.

Americans LOVE their military, cheap lip service, just don't want to pay of them when they're injured.

Wild Cobra
06-30-2010, 03:57 PM
Anyone have a percentage of homeless vets out of veterans, vs. homeless non-vets from the non-vet population?

I haven't looked, but I have a gut feeling that the percentage of not vets who are homeless is greater.

Anyone care to search for such data?

TeyshaBlue
06-30-2010, 04:05 PM
Anyone have a percentage of homeless vets out of veterans, vs. homeless non-vets from the non-vet population?

I haven't looked, but I have a gut feeling that the percentage of not vets who are homeless is greater.

I'll try to find something. I'm actually thinking it would be the other way around....

spursncowboys
06-30-2010, 04:06 PM
because since you serve the country you get a handout?
that is right donkeys think the tax payer should pay for people for not using their heads! and save their money for hard times
why did the vets not waste their money earlier in the life!
they get plenty of beneifs as vets

not much benefits except for the gi bill. that is until w. still i agree one hundred percent. people, no matter what, should not be treated as victims.

Wild Cobra
06-30-2010, 04:19 PM
I'll try to find something. I'm actually thinking it would be the other way around....
Maybe so. I just think it will be as I stated. Either way, shouldn't we know the numbers before we follow the hype?

Spurminator
06-30-2010, 04:24 PM
Republicans lost their right to bitch about add-ons when they attached anti-online-gambling legislation to a Homeland Security bill. Fuck any Republican who complains about this.

Wild Cobra
06-30-2010, 04:26 PM
Republicans lost their right to bitch about add-ons when they attached anti-online-gambling legislation to a Homeland Security bill. Fuck any Republican who complains about this.
Tit-4-tat...

How childish.

spursncowboys
06-30-2010, 05:51 PM
Ridiculous to say that because an entire politcal party did something, in any level, that they cannot complain about it forever.

This is a good example that the dems are in fact weak on the defense of america, and the repubs weren't just using scare tactics.

MannyIsGod
06-30-2010, 06:14 PM

Beat me to it. Fuck Bill Frist.

MannyIsGod
06-30-2010, 06:14 PM
ridiculous to say that because an entire politcal party did something, in any level, that they cannot complain about it forever.

this is a good example that the dems are in fact weak on the defense of america, and the repubs weren't just using scare tactics.

l o l

jack sommerset
06-30-2010, 07:25 PM
Shocking......Obama continues to lie! Just a few more months and this nightmare will be over.

Those who can't do, teach! For the most part. They can't make it in the business world and make some real money so they teach and try to get as much as they can from the taxpayers. Fuck teachers, most of them that is.

LnGrrrR
06-30-2010, 09:12 PM
Shocking......Obama continues to lie! Just a few more months and this nightmare will be over.

Yes, because once the Republicans have power, the economy will recover on the back of Reaganomics, and enemies will flee from our superior military mindset!

Also, everyone will get a pony.

admiralsnackbar
06-30-2010, 09:20 PM
Yes, because once the Republicans have power, the economy will recover on the back of Reaganomics, and enemies will flee from our superior military mindset!

Also, everyone will get a pony.

And world peace. And a thermos.

LnGrrrR
06-30-2010, 09:28 PM
And a thermos.

Ooooh is it a GI Joe one?

http://www.mileawayantiques.com/images/lunch/lhe44.jpg

admiralsnackbar
06-30-2010, 09:43 PM
Ooooh is it a GI Joe one?

http://www.mileawayantiques.com/images/lunch/lhe44.jpg

:lol I shore hope so!

TeyshaBlue
07-01-2010, 09:52 AM

Here's what I found with the caveat that homeless stats are very plastic as there are a zillion methodologies for calculating them. After reviewing many of them, they do tend to homogenize towards a general trend. Using some middle of the road figures I found:

Total Veterans 2009: 23,977,000.
Total Homeless Veterans according to the VA 2008 CHALENG Report: 131,00.
This yields roughly 5.4%.

Total US Population Jan 1 2009:305,529,237.
Total Homeless according to the National Coalition for the Homeless 2008: 2 - 3,000,000 depending upon methodology.
This yields roughly 1%.

So, it looks like the Veterans, as a unique population, suffer more instances of homelessness than the general population.

boutons_deux
07-01-2010, 10:23 AM
But Bully O'Reilly said there were NO homeless vets?

Never, ever doubt Fox Repug Network.

George Gervin's Afro
07-01-2010, 10:29 AM

Those who can't do, teach! For the most part. They can't make it in the business world and make some real money so they teach and try to get as much as they can from the taxpayers. Fuck teachers, most of them that is.

How so jack? When the dems still control congress... what then?

spursncowboys
07-01-2010, 10:31 AM
how many of the us population is over 20, which is the lowest age to join the military, do a three year commitment and get out honorably.

Wild Cobra
07-01-2010, 11:14 AM
Here's what I found with the caveat that homeless stats are very plastic as there are a zillion methodologies for calculating them. After reviewing many of them, they do tend to homogenize towards a general trend. Using some middle of the road figures I found:

Total Veterans 2009: 23,977,000.
Total Homeless Veterans according to the VA 2008 CHALENG Report: 131,00.
This yields roughly 5.4%.

Total US Population Jan 1 2009:305,529,237.
Total Homeless according to the National Coalition for the Homeless 2008: 2 - 3,000,000 depending upon methodology.
This yields roughly 1%.

So, it looks like the Veterans, as a unique population, suffer more instances of homelessness than the general population.
Well, you appear to have two errors.

I will first assume your "131,00" should be "131,000" Divided into 23,977,000, that is 0.5464% 1/10th of your figure. This would place homeless vets at about 1/2% and homeless in general at about 1%, or about 2/3% if you use 2,000,000 homeless.

Yep, just as I thought. Percentage of homeless vets are less than the homeless in general.

TeyshaBlue
07-01-2010, 11:22 AM
Well, you appear to have two errors.

I will first assume your "131,00" should be "131,000" Divided into 23,977,000, that is 0.5464% 1/10th of your figure. This would place homeless vets at about 1/2% and homeless in general at about 1%, or about 2/3% if you use 2,000,000 homeless.

Yep, just as I thought. Percentage of homeless vets are less than the homeless in general.

ROFL..fucking decimals. 's what I get for running a script before my morning coffee.:lol

Wild Cobra
07-01-2010, 11:23 AM
ROFL..fucking decimals. 's what I get for running a script before my morning coffee.:lol
I take it you don't disagree with my math?

I do well with my gut feelings at times, and understand propaganda. Focusing on them and saying how wrong we treat them fits some people's agenda's.

Always look for comparisons when someone pushes a point.

TeyshaBlue
07-01-2010, 11:24 AM
I take it you don't disagree with my math?

Nope. Hard to disagree with math when the decimal's in the right spot.:toast

Somedays, ok, most days, I can't believe I do this for a living.:bang:wakeup

Wild Cobra
07-01-2010, 11:27 AM
Nope. Hard to disagree with math when the decimal's in the right spot.:toast

Somedays, ok, most days, I can't believe I do this for a living.:bang:wakeup
I have made some mistakes with decimals at times. When it changes things by factors of 10, it can be embarrassing.

TeyshaBlue
07-01-2010, 11:29 AM
I have made some mistakes with decimals at times. When it changes things by factors of 10, it can be embarrassing.

I passed embarrased years ago. Now, I'm just slightly amused.:lol