PDA

View Full Version : since TP wants to test FA, where can we sign and trade today

Creation88
06-30-2010, 12:54 PM
with the news from the French paper that TP wants to finish his contract and test FA it would be irresponsible for the Spurs NOT to trade him now and get something for him. we can't afford to let him walk for nothing.

rumored trade:
TP to Nets
Devin Harris and Derrick Favors to Spurs

this was rumored pre-draft I don't know what would change the possibility of it happening now.

new shots:
TP to Knicks
David Lee to Spurs in a S/T

TP to Hawks
Joe Johnson to Spurs in S/T plus pieces

will never happen but worth a pipe dream:
TP to Mavs
Dirk to Spurs in a S/T plus pieces of course (Mavs do need a PG)

TP to Raptors
Bosh to Spurs in a S/T plus pieces

what else are STs looking to get in return for TP?

My Fault
06-30-2010, 01:00 PM
Parker is not going anywhere this season. Spurs want to win it all and know this is their last chance. Without Tony then that chance is out the window.

Creation88
06-30-2010, 01:02 PM
i dont understand how he CAN stay here. if he's already said he wants to test FA and entertain the possibility of playing for another team the SPURS would be beyond stupid NOT to trade him now.

we need to get value for him and this FA market is the best time in the history of the NBA.

ChumpDumper
06-30-2010, 01:05 PM
Thread!

ducks
06-30-2010, 01:05 PM
spurs can win a title this year with him

if they do not feel they can they will look into trading him a the tradedeadline
but not before

clubalien
06-30-2010, 01:07 PM
clearly dirk is great

however ghill as our starting PG sucks

rather trade tony for cp3 and trade RJ for dirk

Mel_13
06-30-2010, 01:10 PM
:sleep

We're doomed to dozens of these threads from now until the trade deadline.

IceColdBrewski
06-30-2010, 01:17 PM
Parker is not going anywhere this season. Spurs want to win it all and know this is their last chance. Without Tony then that chance is out the window.

Bullshit.

If the Spurs lose Parker but gain Bosh in a trade, do you honestly believe the Spurs wouldn't be title contenders?

Creation88
06-30-2010, 01:20 PM
maybe i'm not wearing my black/silver glasses but as it stands i don't see this team winning a Championship as is. we need to move someone to improve. Tony clearly says he wants FA and might not come back. why the hell would you want to keep him?

dbestpro
06-30-2010, 01:22 PM
maybe i'm not wearing my black/silver glasses but as it stands i don't see this team winning a Championship as is. we need to move someone to improve. Tony clearly says he wants FA and might not come back. why the hell would you want to keep him?

Because Eva will not come to the Spur home games anymore.

Mel_13
06-30-2010, 01:23 PM
If the Spurs lose Parker but gain Bosh in a trade, do you honestly believe the Spurs wouldn't be title contenders?

I honestly believe that trade has no chance of happening.

In general, I don't believe trading Tony can make the Spurs a better team in 2010-11. Trading Tony can make the Spurs a better team in the years beyond that.

As long as the primary focus is on fielding the best possible squad for the 2010-11 season, Tony will not be traded.

spursfaninla
06-30-2010, 01:24 PM
with the news from the French paper that TP wants to finish his contract and test FA it would be irresponsible for the Spurs NOT to trade him now and get something for him. we can't afford to let him walk for nothing.

rumored trade:
TP to Nets
Devin Harris and Derrick Favors to Spurs

this was rumored pre-draft I don't know what would change the possibility of it happening now.

new shots:
TP to Knicks
David Lee to Spurs in a S/T

TP to Hawks
Joe Johnson to Spurs in S/T plus pieces

will never happen but worth a pipe dream:
TP to Mavs
Dirk to Spurs in a S/T plus pieces of course (Mavs do need a PG)

TP to Raptors
Bosh to Spurs in a S/T plus pieces

what else are STs looking to get in return for TP?

1. POP said the only "real" offers they got were from NY and Portland.

2. Rumors stated above do not say Tony refuses to re-sign with the Spurs; only that he will see what he would have gotten from free agency. Both sides are posturing to see what they can get before committing. This is Manu signing redux from earlier this year.

3. Spurs would be stupid to throw away a championship-contending year, if that develops, to get guys that will take a while to learn the system (lakers did not get a championship the first year gasol came over, did they?).

4. Almost no rookie is going to be an all-star quality player, like a healthy Parker is.

5. all the guys you mention above make other important parts on our team redundant, and we would then be forced to trade other integral parts to meet our new need of not having a starter quality pg.

6. Dallas would never trade dirk, and never to us.

7. Johnson is a free agent and would be redundant with manu.

8. Bosh does not want to sign here.

9. Lee is redundant with the 4 other starter-quality bigs we have on our team when splitter gets here.

Josepatches_
06-30-2010, 01:25 PM
Be real.Spurs aren't going to win next year without big moves.Bets?

The actual team is done.Duncan is older every year and we have to accept it.

We have to rebuilt.That's the only truth.If Tony wants to go we must use his trade value right now

Josepatches_
06-30-2010, 01:27 PM
Bullshit.

Spurs would be a better team for sure

admiralsnackbar
06-30-2010, 01:27 PM
Given Tony still has a rather conservative contract (when taking his production into account), I have a hard time believing we can get equal value in return. We certainly won't get a max-player in return for him. Maybe an S&T at the end of the season, but doubtful we break up the Big Three going into what looks like the last year of the window.

spursfaninla
06-30-2010, 01:28 PM
Be real.Spurs aren't going to win next year without big moves.Bets?

The actual team is done.Duncan is older every year and we have to accept it.

We have to rebuilt.That's the only truth.If Tony wants to go we must use his trade value right now

Why did they re-up with manu if they are going to rebuild? Manu is 32. You don't pay a guy that old a bunch of money if you are going to rebuild.

true rebuilding means the team is very bad for 2-4 years. You want duncan's last couple of years here to be that? He deserves to have the best team we can put around him to end it.

when he retires, talk rebuilding if needed.

IceColdBrewski
06-30-2010, 01:31 PM
I honestly believe that trade has no chance of happening.

That's not the point.

Point is, people here keep saying the Spurs have no chance at a title if they trade Parker. That's nonsense. It all depends on WHO they trade for. They keep acting like trading Parker means we get nothing in return.

admiralsnackbar
06-30-2010, 01:33 PM
That's not the point.

Point is, people here keep saying the Spurs have no chance at a title if they trade Parker. That's nonsense. It all depends on WHO they trade for. They keep acting like trading Parker means we get nothing in return.

Not nothing, just -- most likely -- less.

Mel_13
06-30-2010, 01:34 PM
That's not the point.

It's exactly the point.

Of course, we'll get something in return for Parker. They won't get something that improves the team's chances in 2010-11. Any Parker trade means that the focus has shifted from 2010-11 to the years beyond that.

spursfaninla
06-30-2010, 01:34 PM
That's not the point.

Unless we get a starter quality pg in return, AND a significant upgrade at another position, trading parker is a net negative this year and probably next.

I see no trades above, or yet, that satisfy the requirements I seek. the NJ trade of Harris and favors is pretty close, but Favors will not produce enough this year, would be redundant this year with the bigs we have, and thus would not produce a net benefit for the next two years over keeping parker.

Parker is better than Harris.

E-RockWill
06-30-2010, 01:53 PM

:lol +1

Seventyniner
06-30-2010, 02:06 PM
I wonder if the Spurs had done Parker for Harris + #3 before the draft, if the Spurs would've taken Wes Johnson instead of Favors.

pad300
06-30-2010, 02:10 PM
1. POP said the only "real" offers they got were from NY and Portland.

The only trade I would consider from NY or Portland would be

Tony Parker, Spurs 2011 1st
for
Andre Miller and Oden

Miller gives us a starting caliber PG back, which Hill is not. Oden is potentially, if he could stay healthy, a worthy heir to TD. That's worth it. There isn't anything else on those 2 teams that I would consider.

Seventyniner
06-30-2010, 02:32 PM
On SR (don't laugh! well, don't laugh too much), I saw an idea for a three-team trade:
TP to Knicks
Lee to Suns
Amare to Spurs

All three of those player-team combos have been at least mentioned in the media recently, so it seems to actually be one of the more feasible deals out there. Lee will probably get between $10M and $12M per season on his next deal, which the Suns are ok with (they'd rather pay that to Lee than $18+M to Amare). The Suns would have to take an extra player back to balance salaries, and picks or other sweeteners could be involved, but the core of the trade is actually rather solid.

I'm not saying I'd like the Spurs to do this, but it's an intriguing possibility.

spursfaninla
06-30-2010, 02:34 PM
We would be forced to trade at least 2 of the four rotation bigs to then get the pg we need after getting amare, right?

Spurs get an offensive juggernaut who can't really defend well in amare.

Not really happy with this trade tbo.

lotr1trekkie
06-30-2010, 02:51 PM
Tony is 6 years under Fisher. Manu is 2 years older than Gasol. Tim is + 4 with Kobe. That's a wash in years. The Spurs problem isn't the age of the Big 3 but imporving the supporting cast. One on one: TP and Fisher, Kobe and Manu, Tim and Pau? How about 3 on 3? We are in great shape with our Big 3 vs the 2 time champs. Splitter will also narrow the gap inside. Timmy will not retire without # 5.

benefactor
06-30-2010, 03:07 PM
Chopper needs to start the "Posters to be traded" list up again.

ducks
06-30-2010, 03:09 PM
a point guard is the engine of the team
he has to learn where the players want the ball
no team has won a title trading for a new starting point guard or getting rid of their starting point guard

bosh is a great player manu can ran point but will he be spent come playoff time?

Creation88
06-30-2010, 03:10 PM
somewhere along the way we started accepting too little from our big 3. what other team on Earth has 3 superstars and says "we didnt win a championship bc of our supporting cast?"

wtf is that? Tony, Tim, and Manu have to be the rock night in and night now. they haven't done that consistently for the past few years and THAT is the problem.

Creation88
06-30-2010, 03:11 PM
it's not about getting a PG in return right now, it's about getting ANY value given the news that Tony will most likely walk.

Interrohater
06-30-2010, 03:21 PM
If Tony does walk, won't we have freed up the money that USED to be going to his contract? I'm not sure if maybe I don't understand NBA economics too well, but if you're no longer paying a player, then you should have room to sign another player, no? We wouldn't exactly be getting nothing, we would inevitably sign a free agent. That's pretty similar to trading for someone.

SpursTillTheEnd
06-30-2010, 03:27 PM
creation 88 you can't tell these people anything about parker they will strat bitching and crying, we need to trade parker noe for some talent, but these people wold rather see parker leave us for nothing then trade and get more pieces that will help us for years to come... i agree we need to teade him before the season

ducks
06-30-2010, 03:31 PM
the best thing spurs can do is if they have no shot at title is to trade tp at tradedeadline
for 2 studs
then tp as a fa signs back with the spurs!

Mel_13
06-30-2010, 03:51 PM
If Tony does walk, won't we have freed up the money that USED to be going to his contract? I'm not sure if maybe I don't understand NBA economics too well, but if you're no longer paying a player, then you should have room to sign another player, no? We wouldn't exactly be getting nothing, we would inevitably sign a free agent. That's pretty similar to trading for someone.

Doesn't work that way.

The ability to sign FAs is determined by the room a team has under the salary cap. The NBA has a soft cap, so most teams are over the cap.

So, a simple example to illustrate:

Say the salary cap is 50M and a team has a payroll of 70M. Now that team has 20M player who walks in FA. They're still at the salary cap and can only use exceptions like the MLE and LLE.

With the big numbers on the books for Duncan and Manu for the 2011-12 season, it is unlikely that the Spurs would have much room under the cap next summer even if Tony and RJ both walk.

Agloco
06-30-2010, 04:09 PM
Bullshit.

Oh Jeebus please take the dumb outta dis man.

Agloco
06-30-2010, 04:13 PM
it's not about getting a PG in return right now, it's about getting ANY value given the news that Tony will most likely walk.

Then your argument is that the Spurs window is closed and that they need to start rebuilding.

If they want any chance at a title they need a PG. Hill and Manu don't fit the bill.

Edit: Just saw Post #9. Disregard.

elbamba
06-30-2010, 04:16 PM
This is just dumb. The Spurs will probably not want tony back after this year. They realize that this is it, after this year they rebuild and resigning your soon to be 30 year old pg who relies on his speed would not be a smart move.

The parties will mutually part ways at the end of the year. When it is in both parties interest to do so.

toki9
06-30-2010, 04:32 PM
The Tim Duncan window is most likely just 2 years now...with that window closing substantially in the 2nd year...

Trading Parker before this year even begins will most likely close that window shut since 1. It's not likely you'll get equal value; 2. The new player has to get acclimated to the system and his new teammates; 3. Needlessly worsen "chemistry" issue since the team will be incorporating at least 2 additional new players (Anderson and hopefully Splitter).

Also, even if Parker is intent on testing free agency, it doesn't mean he won't resign with the Spurs...in addition, the relationship between Parker and the FO is not terrible...i think a sign and trade option would be quite possible if Parker does choose to leave via free agency.

Trading Parker before the new season starts would be on the premature side, I think. Just play out this season and then make the big decisions when you have better idea about what kind of team you have--especially after Splitter/Anderson are incorporated and Hill and Blair have another year under their belt.

toki9
06-30-2010, 04:39 PM

Yep. I kind of wish they'd trade Parker so this would stop. JK. Kind of.

Pauleta14
06-30-2010, 05:14 PM
i dont understand how he CAN stay here. if he's already said he wants to test FA and entertain the possibility of playing for another team the SPURS would be beyond stupid NOT to trade him now.

we need to get value for him and this FA market is the best time in the history of the NBA.

Did you have the same analyse/reaction last year when Manu was in THE SAME situation?

Everybody should calm down, like many people on ST understood, this is just part of THE NEGOCIATION PROCESS...

We can't have any other elite player for him because Tony is underpaid for an elite PG and if we wanna have a shot, we need him this year!