PDA

View Full Version : after the Manu PG experiment at the end of the season...

spursfaninla
06-30-2010, 02:44 PM
Does anyone think we should be more open to having Manu play the pg offensively, and have a back court player that can defend the pg on defense?

In past years, the conventional wisdom was always that manu should play spot minutes, at most, as pg.

However, Hill basically brought the ball up and then let manu control the flow of the offense while parker was out for several weeks, and did so successfully.

I am thinking that having manu distribute, while having a player capable of defending the pg position, might be more desirable than having a less capable pg out there, or even forcing hill to go away from his strength; playing passing pg.

All this says is, that we might not have to worry so much about supplementing our back court. I think we have all that we need. Anderson is going to get minutes, if at all, behind RJ, when a backcourt member is injured, on back to backs, or if they are shooting poorly.

Cane
06-30-2010, 03:12 PM
Manu seems to be the best Spur when it comes to making clutch plays and forming chemistry with new talent. RJ's best games were when Manu was on the court, Manu took the rookie Blair under his wings and turned him into his Oberto on offense, and Manu can score nearly anywhere on the court in addition to being the best playmaker.

However even though the best stretch of the season was with Parker injured and Manu/Hill starting, it kills our bench production when Manu isn't leading that group.

I think Parker will remain the starter and Manu will come off the bench. Parker seems to work with Duncan better than Manu and he has younger legs. Put Manu back on the bench and they're back to being one of the best in the league.

Whats going to be more interesting than the Spurs starting lineup will be who will play in the closing minutes of the 4th quarter. George Hill offers a lot of offense and defense but lacks height....will his upside see him on the court? Can the Spurs really close 4th quarters with Parker, Hill, and Manu or should they replace one of them with a SF?

spursfaninla
06-30-2010, 03:17 PM
all agreed. I guess I did not communicate the implication of my idea correctly, because the thrust is not to who should start, but rather whether we need to change Hill into a pg offensively.

Xevious
06-30-2010, 04:46 PM
That worked well with Manu and Hill in the backcourt. But with Parker starting, he needs the ball in his hands.

DesignatedT
06-30-2010, 04:57 PM
Manu will wear down so quick having to handle PG duties.

Parker2112
06-30-2010, 05:29 PM
Manu will wear down so quick having to handle PG duties.

Horseshit. He will actually last longer as a facilitator than as a playmaker.

DesignatedT
06-30-2010, 05:37 PM
Horseshit. He will actually last longer as a facilitator than as a playmaker.

Manu cannot have the ball in his hands all game long. He is used to playing off the ball. What do you mean facilitator and not a playmaker? You don't think Parker is a play maker at the point position? Parker make the whole offense run when he is out there. Something Hill can't do, which makes the spurs rely on Manu to carry to much of a load. There are times when Manu is able to play point down the stretch of big games which we all see, but he can't do it all game long.

spursfaninla
06-30-2010, 06:22 PM
Manu cannot have the ball in his hands all game long. He is used to playing off the ball. What do you mean facilitator and not a playmaker? You don't think Parker is a play maker at the point position? Parker make the whole offense run when he is out there. Something Hill can't do, which makes the spurs rely on Manu to carry to much of a load. There are times when Manu is able to play point down the stretch of big games which we all see, but he can't do it all game long.

I don't understand why you went from manu playing point to having the ball in his hands all game long.

I am merely pointing out that Manu and tony should share these duties, and we should not worry so much about Hill being the backup point offensively speaking.

Let tony be the primary whenever he and manu are together, and let manu run the offense when tony is resting. Let hill bring the ball up, and on occasion he can run the offense, but if 80-90% of the offense are run by tony and manu, I think we are good.

This way, Hill plays to his strengths; defense, 3pt shooting, and slashing off the ball.

Parker2112
07-01-2010, 12:55 AM

Manu is a threat. He can use that to set other guys up without being the goto guy. Whats more, he can drain the three. His outside game alone opens up opportunities for other guys, much less the threat of his drive. But bottom line, he has tremendous vision and plays extremely unselfish. He is always a safe bet to find the open man.

You say he is "used to playing off the ball," but he's already shown he can play anywhere, anytime. He is a playmaker, but last season he let it be know that he could feed guys in the flow of the offense all day. And the more he is looking to create for other guys, the less he is pounding on his own ankles down the lane. Manu at the point adds years to his career.

Parker is a playmaker, but not a facilitator, unless youre talking about TD in the pick and roll. Or unless we stack our roster with outside shooters that allow him to drive and kick. TP is deadly, but I like him as a straight up shooting guard, Manu at the point, and Hill off the bench or for specific match-ups. Rely on Tony for scoring (hopefully resurrecting his shot is a huge priority in summer workouts), rely less on Manu for points and more for assists and outside shooting. Works all around.

DesignatedT
07-01-2010, 12:58 AM
Manu is a threat. He can use that to set other guys up without being the goto guy. Whats more, he can drain the three. His outside game alone opens up opportunities for other guys, much less the threat of his drive. But bottom line, he has tremendous vision and plays extremely unselfish. He is always a safe bet to find the open man.

You say he is "used to playing off the ball," but he's already shown he can play anywhere, anytime. He is a playmaker, but last season he let it be know that he could feed guys in the flow of the offense all day. And the more he is looking to create for other guys, the less he is pounding on his own ankles down the lane. Manu at the point adds years to his career.

Parker is a playmaker, but not a facilitator, unless youre talking about TD in the pick and roll. Or unless we stack our roster with outside shooters that allow him to drive and kick. TP is deadly, but I like him as a straight up shooting guard, Manu at the point, and Hill off the bench or for specific match-ups. Rely on Tony for scoring (hopefully resurrecting his shot is a huge priority in summer workouts), rely less on Manu for points and more for assists and outside shooting. Works all around.

Whoa. You act like I don't know how good Manu is. I know exactly what Manu can do... All im saying is that Manu is not capable of playing the PG position all year long without eventually running out of gas.