PDA

View Full Version : Hawks to offer Joe Johnson max 6 yr deal

RsxPiimp
06-30-2010, 02:58 PM
AJC report that Hawks preparing 6-year Bird Rights deal is devastating news to potential Joe Johnson suitors. He wants to stay in Atlanta.

http://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA

Source says Hawks to offer Joe Johnson max 6 yr Bird rights deal at start of free agency

http://twitter.com/ajchawks

SMH

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-30-2010, 03:06 PM
New York is fucked then.

lil_penny
06-30-2010, 03:11 PM
Lol new york

Kevin Durant 35
06-30-2010, 03:14 PM
:lmao New York is really really fucked

RsxPiimp
06-30-2010, 03:22 PM
I actually think ATL is doing New York a favor.

These are not the exact figures, but If the Hawks does sign JJ for a max deal, I would imagine it would be close to it.

2010-2011 - $16,224,600
2011-2012 - $17,928,183
2012-2013 - $19,631,766
2013-2014 - $21,335,349
2014-2015 - $23,038,932
2015-2016 - $24,742,515
Total - $122,901,345

The Hawks are really going to start hating themselves after the 2012-2013 season. I thought most GM's learned a lesson from the Rashard Lewis deal, and despite the recent talks about owners losing money, you see shit like this.

sefant77
06-30-2010, 03:23 PM
lol 6 years max, i thought they saw him in the last two playoffs...

Knicks for Gay and Boozer

baseline bum
06-30-2010, 03:23 PM
http://hiphop.sh/files/flash89.jpg

New York, New York, big city of dreams
But everything in New York ain't always what it seems.
You might get fooled if you come from out of town
But I'm down by law and I know my way around.

sook
06-30-2010, 03:25 PM
that fucker needs to stick with the hawks. They have been puting up with his bs for a while now.

Ghazi
06-30-2010, 03:26 PM
on a championship caliber team he's a 3rd option. on a pretty decent/good team he can be a 1/2 option... like the Hawks.

think this is a tad much for him. he is kinda old for a 2 guard.

SpursNextRomanEmpire
06-30-2010, 03:26 PM
http://hiphop.sh/files/flash89.jpg

New York, New York, big city of dreams
But everything in New York ain't always what it seems.
You might get fooled if you come from out of town
But I'm down by law and I know my way around.

:lol very nice dogg pound reference

mothafuck ya whole jurisdiction

Findog
06-30-2010, 03:27 PM
:lmao New York is really really fucked

So is Atlanta to pay him that much.

Goran Dragic
06-30-2010, 03:29 PM
on a championship caliber team he's a 3rd option.

Then what does that make Roddy Beaubois, the 7th man on a championship caliber team?

Booharv
06-30-2010, 03:29 PM
Solid move by Atl. This solidifies their status as basically a second round bye for one of the East's top two seeds for the next half decade. :tu

R4R
06-30-2010, 03:34 PM
is it possible that new york will get no one?

Ghazi
06-30-2010, 03:35 PM
Then what does that make Roddy Beaubois, the 7th man on a championship caliber team?

3rd option in 2 years :)

wade / dirk / beaubois staacked

Goran Dragic
06-30-2010, 03:38 PM
3rd option in 2 years :)

lol

Booharv
06-30-2010, 03:40 PM
Take this with a grain of salt btw, like 3 days ago AJC was saying this:

"Johnson reportedly willing to accept less money to play for Knicks"

http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-hawks/johnson-reportedly-willing-to-558794.html

Goran Dragic
06-30-2010, 03:45 PM
wade / dirk / beaubois staacked

So whatever happened to Lebron to Dallas?

06-30-2010, 03:51 PM
new york will get someone. they will probably give the near max to boozer and resign david lee. but :lol at a 6 year max contract for joe johnson.

Mel_13
06-30-2010, 03:59 PM
lol 6 years max, i thought they saw him in the last two playoffs...

Knicks for Gay and Boozer

:lol

Had the exact same thought.

Knicks 2010 FA Plans:

Plan A: LeBron and Bosh for the max

Plan B: Amare and JJ for the max

Plan C: Boozer and Gay for the max

Plan D: Not sure, but I think it involves TMac

Red Hawk #21
06-30-2010, 04:06 PM
Once again the front office is proving their stupididty, yes JJ is a very good player. But a max contract?? God, things are gunna get really ugly...

Xevious
06-30-2010, 04:20 PM
There's going to be a lot of teams with financial problems after this free agency. The only two players worth the max this time around are Wade and Lebron IMO. But teams are going to open up their wallets big time this summer because they've been saving for years and won't leave empty handed even though they lost out on the best players. In the Hawks case, they're going to pay big to keep JJ because they know they'll get nothing to replace him.

Goran Dragic
06-30-2010, 04:32 PM
Told ya so.

What about your source that said there was a 76ers Timberwolves trade pending in November? Are negotiations still going on?

redzero
06-30-2010, 04:40 PM
So is Atlanta to pay him that much.

Pretty much.

This is just plain ol' retarded.

Goran Dragic
06-30-2010, 04:42 PM
I'd love to hear the better alternatives teams like Atlanta and Phoenix have. People talk about how they're dumb to overpay players who prevent them from being a lottery team as if they could have signed Lebron if they wanted to but instead signed Joe Johnson or Amare.

sefant77
06-30-2010, 04:59 PM
:lol

Had the exact same thought.

Knicks 2010 FA Plans:

Plan A: LeBron and Bosh for the max

Plan B: Amare and JJ for the max

Plan C: Boozer and Gay for the max

Plan D: Not sure, but I think it involves TMac

Knicks praying right now that Carmella wont sign an extension. Would be a backup plan if they just can get a Boozer/Lee/Amare this offseason.

Kevin Durant 35
06-30-2010, 05:00 PM
Knicks praying right now that Carmella wont sign an extension. Would be a backup plan if they just can get a Boozer/Lee/Amare this offseason.

lol Carmella

bdictjames
06-30-2010, 05:12 PM
Atlanta is out of its mind.

IronMexican
06-30-2010, 05:13 PM
New York can have a shitty team this year and go for Melo next year.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-30-2010, 05:19 PM
Denver>>>NY

Melo would be retarded to leave Denver for the Knicks.

Xevious
06-30-2010, 05:25 PM
Nah, New York is fucked. Melo leaving Denver is still a long shot. And if they're smart, they won't over pay for second tier talent like Boozer, Amare, Gay, etc this year. They better start stockpiling draft picks and build from the ground up like Seattle/OKC did. And in a couple years, they'll be in better shape than some of these other teams who shelled out for players that didn't deserve it.

We'll see though, they'll probably blow their wad just like everybody else.

redzero
06-30-2010, 05:33 PM
I'd love to hear the better alternatives teams like Atlanta and Phoenix have. People talk about how they're dumb to overpay players who prevent them from being a lottery team as if they could have signed Lebron if they wanted to but instead signed Joe Johnson or Amare.

The Hawks could just not sign a 30-year-old All Star to a six year deal that only franchise players should get. Or they could screw themselves over by giving Joe Johnson money he isn't worth.

spursfan1000
06-30-2010, 05:41 PM
Damn Hawks are fucking stupid if they do sign Johnson for 6 years max. He has yet to take the Hawks to a conference finals, he's proved a championship team cannot win with him being the 1st or 2nd option, he would be a nice 3rd or 4th option though. Way overpaid.

Goran Dragic
06-30-2010, 05:43 PM
The Hawks could just not sign a 30-year-old All Star to a six year deal that only franchise players should get. Or they could screw themselves over by giving Joe Johnson money he isn't worth.

So you think letting him leave and becoming a bottom feeder is a better option? Again, what would be a better alternative?

redzero
06-30-2010, 05:47 PM
So you think letting him leave and becoming a bottom feeder is a better option?

As opposed to not signing his ass so he won't kill their chances of getting any worthwhile free agents in the future? Of course.

Again, what would be a better alternative?

Not signing his old ass, because he clearly isn't worth $20 million for 50 wins and another second round sweep.

Goran Dragic
06-30-2010, 05:49 PM
As opposed to not signing his ass so he won't kill their chances of getting any worthwhile free agents in the future? Of course.

Which worthwhile free agents can Atlanta get in the near future? When the fuck have the Atlanta Hawks ever been able to draw free agents? Why do people act like a team in Atlanta's situation can just as easily sign Lebron James instead of Joe Johnson?

Goran Dragic
06-30-2010, 05:50 PM
redzero, by this logic, I assume you want the Hornets to get rid of CP3 since his contract isn't worth being a borderline playoff team?

spursfan1000
06-30-2010, 05:52 PM
redzero, by this logic, I assume you want the Hornets to get rid of CP3 since his contract isn't worth being a borderline playoff team?

:lmao are you comparing cp3 the best point guard in the NBA to joe johnson

Goran Dragic
06-30-2010, 05:54 PM
:lmao are you comparing cp3 the best point guard in the NBA to joe johnson

lol missing my point completely

Goran Dragic
06-30-2010, 05:56 PM
The way Atlanta should be looking at it is like this: A) We're not going to win a championship, even if we re-sign Joe Johnson. B) re-signing a 30 year old to a 6 year deal that takes up a good chunk of cap space for a team that won't contend screws over any future that team has. C) the players are young enough that if the Hawks play their cards right they can still build around them if JJ leaves.

Be specific. What can the Hawks do if they let Joe Johnson leave? What better options are out there? What better way can they use that cap room? As far as I'm concerned, holding onto the assets you have is a better route than becoming a bottom feeder and hoping you're lucky enough to draft the next franchise player. It's baffling why people talk about the cap room Joe Johnson is gonna take up as if they have a way better way of using it that they're turning down.

spursfan1000
06-30-2010, 05:56 PM
lol missing my point completely

Even though you werent talking to me. Chris Paul is a top 3 point guard and DESERVES the max, Joe Johnson is a star not a superstar and therefore does NOT DESERVE the max. It would be stupid for the Hawks to give Johnson the max, because he is just a choke and hasnt been able to get the Hawks anywhere but the playoffs.

Goran Dragic
06-30-2010, 05:58 PM
Even though you werent talking to me. Chris Paul is a top 3 point guard and DESERVES the max, Joe Johnson is a star not a superstar and therefore does NOT DESERVE the max. It would be stupid for the Hawks to give Johnson the max, because he is just a choke and hasnt been able to get the Hawks anywhere but the playoffs.

Joe Johnson has gotten the Hawks just as far as CP3 has gotten the Hornets.

spursfan1000
06-30-2010, 06:03 PM
Joe Johnson has gotten the Hawks just as far as CP3 has gotten the Hornets.

Look at CP3's age, 6 years from now Hornets wouldent regret their decision to give him the MAX, hawks would for the last 3 years of Johnson's contract. Johnson has had more helf in horford crawford smith bibby and what did cp3 have? west chandler and peja?

Goran Dragic
06-30-2010, 06:03 PM
You're missing the bigger picture. Joe Johnson has not shown the ability to take a team to a championship level of play and is now on the wrong side of 30. CP3 is still young and a franchise player who still has time to be built around if built around correctly could make the Hornets a championship team. Even if Joe Johnson becomes 2006 Kobe Bryant, the Hawks don't have a Pau Gasol.

lol and CP3 has shown an ability to take a team to a championship? Joe Johnson turned 29 yesterday so cut the wrong side of 30 bullshit out. Chris Paul is 25 and has knee problems. There isn't a giant gap in age. Saying CP3 is a franchise player is just funny.

How many players in the last 20 years have proven capable of leading a team to a championship? The concept of not resigning Joe Johnson so you can cling onto the tiny chance that you might luck into one of the very few players who can take a team to a championship makes no sense.

redzero
06-30-2010, 06:04 PM

First, I don't think anybody in the league is really worth max. It does a team no good to be paying one player a large portion of the salary.

Second, a 30-year-old All Star whose best years are behind him, is not worth $20 million dollars a year for six years. Period. He will only get worse from here on, so we don't even know how much he would benefit the Hawks in the long run. The Hawks could easily become bottom feeders with a poison contract in the next few years.

Sure, Atlanta might not be a big attraction for free agents, but it is just plain stupid for a small market team to give somebody like Joe Johnson to such a ridiculous contract. Two or so years of being in the playoffs simply is not worth it.

Goran Dragic
06-30-2010, 06:04 PM
Look at CP3's age, 6 years from now Hornets wouldent regret their decision to give him the MAX

Given the fact he just had reconstructive knee surgery, that's not really a safe assumption to make.

Muser
06-30-2010, 06:06 PM
So instead you let him walk and suck ass until your team pulls a '97 Spurs and lucks out wininng the lottery with a future HOF'er?

spursfan1000
06-30-2010, 06:07 PM
Given the fact he just had reconstructive knee surgery, that's not really a safe assumption to make.

Ok but assuming he will be back to normal??

Goran Dragic
06-30-2010, 06:11 PM
First, I don't think anybody in the league is really worth max. It does a team no good to be paying one player a large portion of the salary.
Of course no one is "worth" the max. You can't make it that simple. Do you think Ray Allen was worth $20,000,000 in 2008 as someone who did nothing besides run around screens and shoot open shots? Of course not, I guess that means Boston woulda been better off without him.

Second, a 30-year-old All Star whose best years are behind him, is not worth $20 million dollars a year for six years. Period. He will only get worse from here on, so we don't even know how much he would benefit the Hawks in the long run.
Joe Johnson just had one of if not the best overall seasons of his career, and he's someone who relies little on speed and athleticism. You're ignoring stats and facts by acting like he's some declining player. He still has another season before he turns 30 and has plenty of good years left.

Sure, Atlanta might not be a big attraction for free agents, but it is just plain stupid for a small market team to give somebody like Joe Johnson to such a ridiculous contract. Two or so years of being in the playoffs simply is not worth it.
What would be better? Let JJ leave so they could go back to being a hopeless bottom feeder that didn't approach .500 and had deserted stands during home games? The Atlanta Hawks aren't exactly a team known for being able to rebuild quickly.

redzero
06-30-2010, 06:12 PM
And the Hawks weren't even that great in the playoffs anyway. It took seven games to beat a one man team and another seven to beat a team led by a rookie. The team is flawed, and signing Johnson to a ludicrous contract is not any kind of solution.

Goran Dragic
06-30-2010, 06:13 PM
So instead you let him walk and suck ass until your team pulls a '97 Spurs and lucks out wininng the lottery with a future HOF'er?

Yup. Don't expect them to tell you what happens when the Hawks don't luck into a future HoFer, but obviously if they let Joe Johnson leave it's basically a sure thing they'll be able to find a HoF replacement in the near future.

Goran Dragic
06-30-2010, 06:14 PM
The team is flawed, and signing Johnson to a ludicrous contract is not any kind of solution.

Letting him leave and hoping you're lucky enough to find the next Lebron James is a better solution?

djohn2oo8
06-30-2010, 06:17 PM
LOL Knicks

TDMVPDPOY
06-30-2010, 06:18 PM
JJ gettin a max contract hahahaha overrated player gettin paid franchise player money...fck rashard lewis is laughin all the way to the bank

redzero
06-30-2010, 06:29 PM
Of course no one is "worth" the max. You can't make it that simple. Do you think Ray Allen was worth $20,000,000 in 2008 as someone who did nothing besides run around screens and shoot open shots? Of course not, I guess that means Boston woulda been better off without him.

No, Ray Allen fulfilled his goal and the Celtics won a championship. The Celtics also had two other Hall of Famers, so they had players to fall back on if Ray's shots weren't falling. The Hawks have nobody else to pick up the scoring slack, and Johnson's ability to put the ball in the basket is not worth $20 million a year.

Joe Johnson just had one of if not the best overall seasons of his career, and he's someone who relies little on speed and athleticism. You're ignoring stats and facts by acting like he's some declining player. He still has another season before he turns 30 and has plenty of good years left.
And Joe Johnson finished off his so called "best overall season" by playing like a third option at best in the playoffs. Franchise shooting guards do not average 17.9 ppg on .387 fg%. In fact, he played like shit the last two post seasons, which is partially why the Hawks struggled so much against clearly inferior competition and why they were swept two times straight when they went against real teams.

What would be better? Let JJ leave so they could go back to being a hopeless bottom feeder that didn't approach .500 and had deserted stands during home games? The Atlanta Hawks aren't exactly a team known for being able to rebuild quickly.They would be better off looking for another future 20 ppg scorer in the draft who isn't almost 30 and isn't asking for franchise player money.

Letting him leave and hoping you're lucky enough to find the next Lebron James is a better solution?

They don't have to find the next LeBron. It's not like they would be letting go of some special talent. This is an iso-loving 20 ppg scorer who does little else for his team and plays like shit in the playoffs. Players like Johnson come a dime a dozen.

Goran Dragic
06-30-2010, 07:21 PM
No, Ray Allen fulfilled his goal and the Celtics won a championship. The Celtics also had two other Hall of Famers, so they had players to fall back on if Ray's shots weren't falling. The Hawks have nobody else to pick up the scoring slack, and Johnson's ability to put the ball in the basket is not worth $20 million a year.
So the Hawks should let go of Joe Johnson because they have no way of complimenting him with better players? They're goal should be to find consistent offensive threats other than Joe Johnson, not get rid of Joe Johnson. In 2007 the Lakers had no one to fall back on when Kobe's shot wasn't falling, I guess that means they shoulda traded him.

And Joe Johnson finished off his so called "best overall season" by playing like a third option at best in the playoffs. Franchise shooting guards do not average 17.9 ppg on .387 fg%. In fact, he played like shit the last two post seasons, which is partially why the Hawks struggled so much against clearly inferior competition and why they were swept two times straight when they went against real teams.
Pick a lane and stick with it. This response has nothing to do with what you responded to. You said Joe Johnson is a declining player, I pointed out how retarded that was, don't try and change the subject.

They would be better off looking for another future 20 ppg scorer in the draft who isn't almost 30 and isn't asking for franchise player money.
:lol I thought Joe Johnson was 30? I wasn't aware it's so easy to find 20 PPG players who can make 4 consecutive AS teams and be 3rd all NBA in the draft. The Hornets could use a GM who can find Joe Johnsons in the draft so easily, you should look into that.

They don't have to find the next LeBron. It's not like they would be letting go of some special talent. This is an iso-loving 20 ppg scorer who does little else for his team and plays like shit in the playoffs. Players like Johnson come a dime a dozen.
The Hawks offense is an iso offense, it's not Joe Johnson's fault Mike Woodson doesn't know how to run a set play other than "x player goes 1 on 5". Joe Johnson also does more than score. He's a good defender and he is an above average passer off the dribble. You're basing Joe Johnson solely off what you saw in the playoffs which is a small ass sample size to draw conclusions about a player.

Goran Dragic
06-30-2010, 07:24 PM
Tell me redzero, do franchise point guards put up these stats in the playoffs:

16.6 PPG, 10.4 APG, 41% shooting (while getting torched by the guy he's "guarding")

redzero
06-30-2010, 08:09 PM
So the Hawks should let go of Joe Johnson because they have no way of complimenting him with better players? They're goal should be to find consistent offensive threats other than Joe Johnson, not get rid of Joe Johnson. In 2007 the Lakers had no one to fall back on when Kobe's shot wasn't falling, I guess that means they shoulda traded him.

We aren't comparing somebody who was dropping 30 ppg against a 60 win team to somebody who struggled to score 25 against one man teams. And the Hawks can't build around Johnson if he gets way more than he's worth a year.

Pick a lane and stick with it. This response has nothing to do with what you responded to. You said Joe Johnson is a declining player, I pointed out how retarded that was, don't try and change the subject.Joe Johnson WILL be a declining player, and the difference between somebody like him and Kobe, is the fact that Kobe is a superstar while Johnson is just an All Star.

:lol I thought Joe Johnson was 30? I wasn't aware it's so easy to find 20 PPG players who can make 4 consecutive AS teams and be 3rd all NBA in the draft. The Hornets could use a GM who can find Joe Johnsons in the draft so easily, you should look into that.Marcus Thornton is showing promise right now. But regardless, 4 All Star game appearances and an ALL NBA 3rd team is not worth over 100 million dollars for a 29-year-old or a 30-year-old.

The Hawks offense is an iso offense, it's not Joe Johnson's fault Mike Woodson doesn't know how to run a set play other than "x player goes 1 on 5". Joe Johnson also does more than score. He's a good defender and he is an above average passer off the dribble.That's all well and good, but players of that caliber aren't worth the max.

You're basing Joe Johnson solely off what you saw in the playoffs which is a small ass sample size to draw conclusions about a player.I'm not basing all of this just on what Johnson did in the playoffs.

Tell me redzero, do franchise point guards put up these stats in the playoffs:

16.6 PPG, 10.4 APG, 41% shooting (while getting torched by the guy he's "guarding")

16 and 10 are prime Jason Kidd type numbers, and Kidd wasn't even facing double and triple teams. Chris Paul lost to superior competition after carrying a team with Hilton Armstrong at center into the playoffs.

The only playoff series Joe Johnson wins as the number one guy are against undermanned teams, and even then Mr. 4 time All Star and 3rd team All NBA was underwhelming.

I can't believe that you're comparing Chris Paul to Joe fucking Johnson.

And the crazy thing about it was that Paul actually won a game against a clearly superior Nuggets team, while Joe fucking All NBA 3rd team Johnson averaged 12.75 ppg on .298% shooting against a team not missing its best player, and his ass was swept.

So in review, a six-feet tall point guard, whose main purpose was to get his teammates involved, scored more points, dished out more assists, got more rebounds, and won more games with a far worse supporting cast than a six-foot eight shooting guard who had a healthy, more talented team. The point guard also averaged a double double for the series.

So, let's not compare Chris Paul to Joe "4 time All Star, All NBA 3rd team and 12.75 ppg scorer on .298% shooting" Johnson.

In fact, yeah, I am basing this on Johnson's performance in the playoffs.

I don't care how many All Star games and All NBA 3rd teams Joe Johnson has, because a player who scores 12.75 ppg on .298% shooting is not worth $120 million dollars over six years.

Hell, Joe Johnson barely played better than Peja Stojakovic did against the Nuggets.

Goran Dragic
06-30-2010, 08:13 PM
You don't know how the NBA works if you think 3rd all NBA players don't get max contracts.

redzero
06-30-2010, 08:17 PM
You don't know how the NBA works if you think 3rd all NBA players don't get max contracts.

I didn't say that All NBA 3rd team players don't get max contracts; I'm saying that Joe Johnson isn't worth one. He is almost 30. He is not a leader. He played like shit against real teams two years straight. He is not a franchise player, and anybody who pays him like one is a fucking moron.

Goran Dragic
06-30-2010, 08:20 PM
I didn't say that All NBA 3rd team players don't get max contracts; I'm saying that Joe Johnson isn't worth one. He is almost 30. He is not a leader. He played like shit against real teams two years straight. He is not a franchise player, and anybody who pays him like one is a fucking moron.

Players worse than Joe Johnson have gotten max contracts, and a good amount of them. Again, it's not about whether or not he's worth it (which he might be if the talent level in the NBA keeps getting worse and worse), it's about what Atlanta's best options are. When you're a small market team like that you need to hold onto all the elite or semi-elite players you can.

redzero
06-30-2010, 08:32 PM
Players worse than Joe Johnson have gotten max contracts, and a good amount of them.

And players like Stephon Marbury, Rashard Lewis, Tracy McGrady, Gilbert Arenas and so on went on to hurt their teams with bad contracts.

Again, it's not about whether or not he's worth it (which he might be if the talent level in the NBA keeps getting worse and worse), it's about what Atlanta's best options are.And signing a 29-year old shooting guard who is (at best) a second option to a six year $115+ million contract is moronic.

When you're a small market team like that you need to hold onto all the elite or semi-elite players you can.Until they stop being elite and hurt their teams with absolutely shitty contracts.

The Hawks resign Joe Johnson, he disappears in the second round of the playoffs (if he makes it that far) for two or three more years, and then Atlanta gets a 32-year old shooting guard who is past his prime and has $60 million left on his contract. Yeah, they can forget about getting any free agents or good draft picks then.

Nothing helps a small market team like poisonous contracts.