PDA

View Full Version : NBA Players vote for most overrated player

Kori Ellis
05-15-2005, 02:26 AM
In its latest issue, Sports Illustrated surveyed 227 NBA players and asked, "Who is the most overrated player?" Me-Mac (McGrady) placed fourth in the survey, behind Vince Carter (first place), Carmelo Anthony and Yao Ming.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orl-sptbianchi14051405may14,0,1011778.column?coll=orl-sports-headlines

:lmao

gospursgojas
05-15-2005, 03:03 AM
I agree with melo and Yao being over rated...but not Tmac and VC, bad attitudes, but they are talented

timvp
05-15-2005, 03:08 AM
Yao should have been the runaway winner.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-15-2005, 03:15 AM
Shut up Sequ. Carter sucks. I don't see him playing basketball anymore, do you?

'Nuff said.

gospursgojas
05-15-2005, 03:26 AM
Shut up Sequ. Carter sucks. I don't see him playing basketball anymore, do you?

'Nuff said.

Neither is Lebron, KG, Kobe, AI, Paul Peirce.... you mean to tell me bc they are not playing anymore they are not talented

thispego
05-15-2005, 03:32 AM
gospursgojas = Sequspur ?

gospursgojas
05-15-2005, 03:34 AM
gospursgojas = Sequspur ?

No... I was wondering what Sequ meant, didnt know it was another username that someone mistook me for.

gospursgojas = Jason, 21

P.S
I have also been mistaken for a girl in this fourm...but I dont know who Sequspur is...so I dont know which is worse

Kori Ellis
05-15-2005, 03:55 AM
:lol

I think you were mistaken for Sequspur by AHF because you and Sequ have the same avatar and he loves Vince Carter.

gospursgojas
05-15-2005, 03:58 AM
:lol

I think you were mistaken for Sequspur by AHF because you and Sequ have the same avatar and he loves Vince Carter.

Ohhh ....now I get it.....

:huh

HB22inSA
05-15-2005, 04:16 AM
The fact that the Big Isleworth has won only one MVP in his 13 years is the biggest NBA travesty since Doug Christie's wife
Ouch!!

Horry For 3!
05-15-2005, 05:25 AM
I'd probably have to say Yao.

ceds
05-15-2005, 06:44 AM
As a rockets fan i agree T-macs overrated way more then i do Ming.

This will be Yao's first summer off in 3 years.

Finally he gets the chance to work with houston coaches in the off season and improve his game. He is the real deal and as he improves so do our title chances.

Give him 2 years and i think he'll be top 5

TDMVPDPOY
05-15-2005, 06:52 AM
yao ming is not overrated, the media and everyone is expecting too much from him just cose of his frame his not goin to live upto the expectations

sickdsm
05-15-2005, 08:21 AM
Both Ray and Rasshard, with rashard being the top one, made the top five underated list.

SpursWoman
05-15-2005, 08:24 AM
:rollin :lol

scott
05-15-2005, 10:43 AM
It's gotta be Antoine Walker, which is hard because everyone thinks he sucks... and yet he is STILL overrated.

Amare would have to be up there too.

Vashner
05-15-2005, 11:11 AM
hahahaha OMG the horror (gates picture)

GrandeDavid
05-15-2005, 12:08 PM
Yao f-ing sucks and I've been saying that since day one. Screw him. He sucks. Nice, friendly eight footer who "miraculously" can drop a round ball into a hoop occasionally, but he has nor never will have any sack whatsoever to warrant being an all star.

Leetonidas
05-15-2005, 01:09 PM
Kenyon Martin and Steve Francis would take it for me, along with Starbury

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-15-2005, 01:45 PM
when he gives it his all...and the key word is "when".

I think that's the very definition of overrated when you're talking professional sports.

Everybody wants to talk about Vince Carter's talent and potential, but the results speak for themselves.

If you're talking dunk contest, you want Vince out there. If you want to win anything in this league, you want Vince on the other team. Overrated.

:lol @ myself from last night, Kori hit it though.

baseline bum
05-15-2005, 01:47 PM
Yao was overrated badly his first couple of years, but now that we've seen his act for a while there's no hype for him to be the next Shaq coming from ESPN. McGrady's my pick. He hits one shot and all of a sudden he's the best guard in the league? Iverson is the most underrated player in the game IMO.

1Parker1
05-15-2005, 01:59 PM
Why do people think McGrady is over-rated, exactly?

He makes tough shots, has proven to be clutch on a few occasions, and averages around 20+ points, as was expected by the media and fans. Yes, his team didn't make it out of the first round, but they did have a tough draw in Dallas and also they had some injuries to deal with. IMO he's lived up to all the hype that was accolated to him. Yao on the other hand, has not had as much success doing this. For his size and potential, he is still not able to dominate games as he should. It should have been easier for him to do so this year with McGrady on the perimeter.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-15-2005, 02:05 PM
I don't get the hate on Yao. He was never going to live up to the incredible hype he was given by the NBA's marketing machine, basically the face of the world in the NBA was put on him before he even played a game, thanks to him being from the largest country in the world, and one that Stern was eager to cash in on.

cqsallie
05-15-2005, 03:02 PM
I don't get the hate on Yao. He was never going to live up to the incredible hype he was given by the NBA's marketing machine, basically the face of the world in the NBA was put on him before he even played a game, thanks to him being from the largest country in the world, and one that Stern was eager to cash in on.
I agree with you, AHF! Too much was expected from a kid who, in the scheme of things, is a physical anomally.
If Yao were a Watusi, his enormous height would make him probably taller than his parents, but not by a couple of feet. The average height for a Watusi female is 6' and for a male, 6'6". If you compare this to the average height of male and female Chinese, it's obvious that Yao is not your average Chinese kid.
Incredible height in a population of average height descendants signals an anomally, usually with physical limitations that manifest themselves increasingly over the years. The fact that Yao seems to lack stamina is a key point.
Yao is a sweet kid who may well be working in the NBA against some physical problems we're unaware of.
Any comments on this anthropological viewpoint?

TOP-CHERRY
05-15-2005, 03:10 PM
I agree. That kid has a huge heart and humility to him, and it's not his fault the media hyped him too much.
However, that doesn't take away from the fact that he's overrated, period.
It being his fault or not isn't the issue here.

baseline bum
05-15-2005, 03:15 PM
McGrady quit on his team last season. That's all I need when people start talking about him being better than Kobe or Iverson... that, and he should get out the first round for once if he's such an amazing player.

TOP-CHERRY
05-15-2005, 03:18 PM
^ Who wouldn't quit on that team?! You telling me you wouldn't?

cqsallie
05-15-2005, 03:31 PM
^ Who wouldn't quit on that team?! You telling me you wouldn't?
Is this just another way of saying that his presence wasn't that important? That he couldn't become a team leader, aiding and abetting his teammates to work harder and achieve greatness?
Sometimes the buyers and sellers make mistakes, but sometimes it's up to the really great players to assist the new players. We've seen it over and over throughout the NBA. Not very many players are drafted into the NBA without something going for them. A team's failure to achieve with some of the great college players onboard can sometimes be attributed to poor coaching; but sometimes it can be attributed to the unwillingness of some so-called "stars," to share the limelight and help elevate the new guy's game.
Robinson did it with Duncan and Duncan has done it with Parker and Ginobilli. A great player is not diminished by the greatness of his fellow players.
You don't find many Spurs "ditching" unless they have agents feeding them the pablum of "You are the greatest!" Some have proved the Spurs wrong, but not that many... :rolleyes

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-15-2005, 03:38 PM
McGrady quit on his team last season.

Carter quit on his team (Toronto) too, against the Spurs no less.

TOP-CHERRY
05-15-2005, 03:40 PM
We don't know the circumstances surrounding all that debacle in Orlando, but no matter how "great" of a superstar a team leader is, if the team sucks, it just plain sucks.
Duncan stayed because of DRob. No DRob means no Duncan. Believe me. What other motive would Timmy have back then of staying? Having a veteran player there makes the world of difference to a young guy.

T-Mac had no support there. No 2-punch, no sidekick.

I ask the question again. Who (considering a championship is the only reason you play in the league) would sacrifice their talent/time/energy/ring for a lost cause?

You can't be that hard on T-Mac for leaving a dead team.

ducks
05-15-2005, 03:47 PM
quitting and getting paid milllions a year should result in termination of the contract

my boss finds out I quit I can fired

if you are alteast trying you put up better stats so you can get traded easier

quitters deserved to be wipped

ducks
05-15-2005, 03:50 PM
I guess the nba players do not have the nerve to mention james

everyone knows stern wants james to be the nba superstar

cqsallie
05-15-2005, 04:08 PM
We don't know the circumstances surrounding all that debacle in Orlando, but no matter how "great" of a superstar a team leader is, if the team sucks, it just plain sucks.
Duncan stayed because of DRob. No DRob means no Duncan. Believe me. What other motive would Timmy have back then of staying? Having a veteran player there makes the world of difference to a young guy.

T-Mac had no support there. No 2-punch, no sidekick.

I ask the question again. Who (considering a championship is the only reason you play in the league) would sacrifice their talent/time/energy/ring for a lost cause?

You can't be that hard on T-Mac for leaving a dead team.
I understand where you're coming from, here. But now I have to ask you, "what motivated DRob to stay with the Spurs?"
I think we may ask ourselves why Mr. McGrady didn't develop into a Mr. Robinson? The Spurs weren't the absolutely best team in the NBA when DRob arrived, but he stuck it out. He was a charismistic player - not because the Spurs won NBA championships prior to 1999, but because he was a catalyst in helping to form a winning attitude and eventually, a winning team.
Truly great players, who are not as egoist as T-Mac, have welcomed and nurtured new players - and thus elevated them to a very high level.
Who gets the best draft choices? The Spurs? The Pistons? No! The teams on the bottom get the chance to draft the best players in the draft.
As I said previously, sometimes it's the fault of the drafters; sometimes it's the fault of the coaches of these lower-ranked teams; but sometimes it's the fault of the already ensconced players - those first-round draft choices who think that they can, single-handedly, turn an 16th ranked team into a 1st ranked team, while maintaining their distance from those lowly freshmen.
I can't help but feel that Tracy McGrady fell victim to his hype and really thought he could do it all. At least now, surrounded by players who have had a chance to shine at some point, he's doing a creditable job.
My thoughts on T-Mac are: When are you going to realize that give-and-take, or what one could call a mutual admiration society, is a whole lot better than being the star of an also-ran team?
Humility is the most bitter pill to swallow, but the sweetest when its effects are felt in the body entire. :angel

yeahone
05-15-2005, 04:13 PM
i agree with the list

TOP-CHERRY
05-15-2005, 04:56 PM
I understand where you're coming from, here. But now I have to ask you, "what motivated DRob to stay with the Spurs?"
If you compare the team's records between DRob's stay, and TMac's, you'll find TMac had far less reasons to stay.

(I did a little research, which is why I took this long to answer) ;)

T-Mac's Orlando season:
00-01: 44-39 (.524)
01-02: 44-38 (.537)
02-03: 42-40 (.512)
03-04: 21-61 (.256)

DRob's season was too long... so I won't post all the years, but throught his career, the team never went below .671 except for the year when he was injured.

I'd say TMac had more reason to be frustrated with his team.

Truly great players, who are not as egoist as T-Mac, have welcomed and nurtured new players - and thus elevated them to a very high level.
I understand that part. Shaq has become that role-player for Wade and the Heat.
Why didn't TMac do that? Lack of motivation? Maybe he didn't consider himself a "father" figure. Who knows.

but sometimes it's the fault of the already ensconced players - those first-round draft choices who think that they can, single-handedly, turn an 16th ranked team into a 1st ranked team, while maintaining their distance from those lowly freshmen.
I can't help but feel that Tracy McGrady fell victim to his hype and really thought he could do it all. At least now, surrounded by players who have had a chance to shine at some point, he's doing a creditable job.
My thoughts on T-Mac are: When are you going to realize that give-and-take, or what one could call a mutual admiration society, is a whole lot better than being the star of an also-ran team?
Humility is the most bitter pill to swallow, but the sweetest when its effects are felt in the body entire. :angel
^ With the rest, I agree.

TOP-CHERRY
05-15-2005, 05:25 PM

James isn't overrated.. Just watch him play. (next season, that is. :D )

cqsallie
05-15-2005, 05:29 PM
If you compare the team's records between DRob's stay, and TMac's, you'll find TMac had far less reasons to stay.

(I did a little research, which is why I took this long to answer) ;)

T-Mac's Orlando season:
00-01: 44-39 (.524)
01-02: 44-38 (.537)
02-03: 42-40 (.512)
03-04: 21-61 (.256)

DRob's season was too long... so I won't post all the years, but throught his career, the team never went below .671 except for the year when he was injured.

I'd say TMac had more reason to be frustrated with his team.

I
You know what? This is an interesting question. Who did the Orlando Magic draft as opposed to the players that the Spurs drafted after drafting David Robinson?
Did the Magic draft losers, while the Spurs drafted winners? Don't get me wrong; I have no complaint with your argument, but what players were drafted by the Magic, as opposed to the players drafted by the Spurs?
You go off and do your thing and I'll do the same.
The comparison between the drafts may be really telling. Thanks for the idea!
Talk to you again, real soon!

ducks
05-15-2005, 05:30 PM
James isn't overrated.. Just watch him play. (next season, that is. :D )

can he let his slide after the allstar break for the 3 straight year :lol :lol :lol

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-15-2005, 05:53 PM

Yeah, I could see where the players wouldn't have the "nerve" to say a guy who is on his way to averaging a triple double at some point in his career "overrated."

Lose the hate ducks, or if you're gonna keep it up direct it towards Bone Thug n' Stupidity, aka Carmelo.