PDA

View Full Version : Question about the salary cap..

TwelveGs210
06-30-2010, 10:08 PM
Ok..question..if the Spurs clear the 15 mil off the books, couldn't holt just go right back into the luxury tax if he chose? I mean, if he was already facing the chance of having to pay his sorry ass this year, then why not go like 10 Mil back into it and get something with value? This of course unless there is some kind of regulation about doing this kind of thing.

Agloco
06-30-2010, 10:10 PM
Ok..question..if the Spurs clear the 15 mil off the books, couldn't holt just go right back into the luxury tax if he chose? I mean, if he was already facing the chance of having to pay his sorry ass this year, then why not go like 10 Mil back into it and get something with value? This of course unless there is some kind of regulation about doing this kind of thing.

I answered you in the other thread.................

Agloco
06-30-2010, 10:11 PM
Official Info:

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm

Talk about the Spurs specific situation:

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125187

TwelveGs210
06-30-2010, 10:14 PM
I answered you in the other thread.................
I looked through it, didn't see it with so many posts over there..thanks for your help.

Agloco
06-30-2010, 10:16 PM
No worries. It can get quite complicated. It does clear up why some teams make what appear to be dumb moves though. Enjoy. :toast

TwelveGs210
06-30-2010, 10:20 PM
I've read over the two links but i dont know if its the impatience/excitement of trying to find the answer, but I couldn't see if teams are allowed to go back into luxury tax now that he opted out..

Agloco
06-30-2010, 10:25 PM
I've read over the two links but i dont know if its the impatience/excitement of trying to find the answer, but I couldn't see if teams are allowed to go back into luxury tax now that he opted out..

The short answer is yes. But, they have to use the MLE or LLE to do so since they're sill over the cap........as I understand it.

Mel_13
06-30-2010, 10:41 PM
The short answer is yes. But, they have to use the MLE or LLE to do so since they're sill over the cap........as I understand it.

The short answer is yes, but it doesn't seem likely unless RJ is resigned or used in a S&T that bring backs significant salary.

With RJ off the books the Spurs are about 16M below the tax threshold (not below the salary cap). MLE(5.8M) plus LLE(2M) plus #20 pick (1.4M) still leaves the Spurs more than 6M below the tax line. The only way to spend that much more would be to resign our own FAs (Bonner and Mason) using their Bird Exceptions. Let's hope that's not the plan.

For the OP, once a team is over the salary cap, additional spending is only possible through the various exceptions. The most common ones are the MLE, the LLE, the veteran's minimum exception, the rookie exception, and the Bird exceptions. These can't be combined, so if RJ's 15M comes off the books, the Spurs may be able to spend that amount using the various exceptions available to them, but they can't roll it up and get one big ticket player. Hope that makes sense.

Agloco
06-30-2010, 10:44 PM
Thank you Mr. Mel. :toast

murpjf88
06-30-2010, 11:00 PM
The short answer is yes, but it doesn't seem likely unless RJ is resigned or used in a S&T that bring backs significant salary.

With RJ off the books the Spurs are about 16M below the tax threshold (not below the salary cap). MLE(5.8M) plus LLE(2M) plus #20 pick (1.4M) still leaves the Spurs more than 6M below the tax line. The only way to spend that much more would be to resign our own FAs (Bonner and Mason) using their Bird Exceptions. Let's hope that's not the plan.

For the OP, once a team is over the salary cap, additional spending is only possible through the various exceptions. The most common ones are the MLE, the LLE, the veteran's minimum exception, the rookie exception, and the Bird exceptions. These can't be combined, so if RJ's 15M comes off the books, the Spurs may be able to spend that amount using the various exceptions available to them, but they can't roll it up and get one big ticket player. Hope that makes sense.

With that being said, how could they afford RJ and Splitter? RJ won't sign for the MLE.

Mel_13
06-30-2010, 11:02 PM
With that being said, how could they afford RJ and Splitter? RJ won't sign for the MLE.

They have full Bird Rights on RJ. They can sign him for any amount up to the maximum without affecting the MLE.